Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 02:14:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Vote Dj Ashba '' Best Guitar 2014 ''
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vote Dj Ashba '' Best Guitar 2014 ''  (Read 29790 times)
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2015, 01:28:32 PM »

Yet, for many hardcore fans, it makes sense to vote for the guy who's in their favorite band.

You know, all those hardcore fans who support the band and want them to do well?

Smiley

/jarmo

I do that by spending my hard earned cash on the band all around the globe, not by tagging along on their tours because I once had a big forum and could manipulate what was being said on it.

You have to give Jarmo credit. He works really hard for that role and deserves the reward, for the effort he puts in. Most of us mere mortals would not last, two weeks, if given the opportunity to sit on the GN'R tour bus.

If I had the same opportunity as Jarmo I'd have done the exact same thing.
But it needs to be pointed out that he's alienating fans with the dictatorship style moderating. If I was him I'd probably what to know that.
I have nothing against the guy at all and most people would have abused the position he's in by now, which he deserves credit for not doing.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2015, 01:44:15 PM »

You're still upset because I chose to remove a post by you that didn't offer anything to the discussion and was only taking silly shots at Dj?
You call it censorship, I call it keeping discussions civil.

And yes, i have no trouble admitting that this site isn't aimed at every entitled disgruntled attention seeking fan.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2015, 08:06:09 PM »

Mortis, it almost seems like your goal is to convince people not to vote for DJ. Have you seen the full DVD yet or only a few online clips? He actually does a very good job. I don't understand this nagging desire it seems you have to take him down a peg.

Strange as I do not believe I have said a single thing about DJ Ashba on this forum, pejorative or otherwise - oh yes, I did make one slight joke about the cigarette burning thing but that is it. Are you not confusing me with somebody else?

I merely think if you are voting in a poll for the best 'Guitarist of 2014', it should be for that guitarist's work in 2014 on a case-by-case basis, and not merely some bloc voting fan thing. If you think Ashba's work warrants the accolade, then go ahead and vote for Ashba; you are then voting for the right reason. If you are voting for Ashba however, merely because he is the guitarist of Guns N' Roses, then I cannot see the logic.

I'm not too good at quoting multiple things in one post, but let's do a little recap here:

First you said no comment (whatever that was supposed to imply, perhaps you can inform me?). Your second comment was about how there are videos of the band laughing at DJ's playing. Then "Most fans are fairly unanimous that, CD2 is well over due, that playing the same show for five years is rather lame, and that Ashba has indifferent musicianmansip.". Then make fun of HBK's grammar (not related, but a dick move). Then this: "You are quite specific with, ze rules there, Herr Jarmo?", some obvious shit stirring Hitler reference for Jarmo.

You can say you didn't say anything yourself about DJ (except for specifically mentioning why you will not vote for him), but it just reminds me of the situation with your reserved opinion about CD. You compared it to other albums that you considered stinkers and it was obvious that you did not like it, but you maintained that you had not yet spoken your opinion about it. Then of course it comes out that you do not like it. I feel this is a similar situation. It's like a guy that keeps saying "Jesus says this, Jesus says that.". So you ask this guy if he's a Christian and he says "No, that's what Jesus says. That's not necessarily what I say.". I would eventually think this guy was trying to convert me to Christianity without admitting that he's actually a Christian.

I just don't see you bringing a lot of goodwill to the table in this thread. If I am not mistaken, the primary purpose of this thread is to create awareness about a poll that has the potential to garner some positive press for GNR. Would not this positive press be useful by creating some awareness for a band that may be releasing a new album soon? No no, that must be the cult side of me talking.

And you didn't answer one question, not that you are obligated to, but in case you forgot. Have you actually seen the DVD? It's really good. I saw a youtube clip and thought it sucked, but on my TV it sounded a million times better. Of all the people I have watched the DVD with, not one of them had a single negative thing to say about DJ with the exception of one friend that really hates the way he dresses. As for me, I do not care about how another man dresses. That shit is for the girls, not for me.

I had forgetting that I said that. In fairness, saying he has ''indifferent musicianmanship'' is not exactly a controversial usage of words; I didn't say he 'sucks ass' or is 'terrible', or, ''a cash obsessed emo girl'' (terms you would find on any other GN'R board). I have never really involved myself in the various discussions about DJ Ashba here. See for yourself. I am not that keen on Ashba, if you do want my opinion; I think, if you line up the various guitarists who have played lead for Guns over the years (Slash, Buckethead, Finck, Bumblefoot), he is the worst. But, I am not exactly passionate enough about this point to criticise the guy on a constant basis as many people do. As I said, I have barely discussed the guy.

The rest is unrelated to Ashba - some of it is just arguments between me and Jarmo. Irrelevant.

I watched two clips of the Vegas DVD and burst out laughing when Axl's piano lifted off and started floating through the air. It does not look like something I would entertain watching, let alone buying.
mortismurphy
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2015, 08:09:43 PM »

Yet, for many hardcore fans, it makes sense to vote for the guy who's in their favorite band.

You know, all those hardcore fans who support the band and want them to do well?

Smiley

/jarmo

I do that by spending my hard earned cash on the band all around the globe, not by tagging along on their tours because I once had a big forum and could manipulate what was being said on it.

You have to give Jarmo credit. He works really hard for that role and deserves the reward, for the effort he puts in. Most of us mere mortals would not last, two weeks, if given the opportunity to sit on the GN'R tour bus.

But it needs to be pointed out that he's alienating fans with the dictatorship style moderating. If I was him I'd probably what to know that.
I have nothing against the guy at all and most people would have abused the position he's in by now, which he deserves credit for not doing.

What I meant was, it takes an extra ordinary genius to be willing enough to sacrifice one's action of independent thought, internal objectivity and sense of humour, to make one, amiable enough for a sycophantic junket. Most of us treasure these aspects of our personality.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:11:15 PM by mortismurphy » Logged
mortismurphy
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »

Smiley

/jarmo

Don't agree. If your favourite band has had a terrible year, and, say, your second favourite band has had an excellent year, objectively you should be voting for your second favourite band.

This is a fan poll. Do you really think people are giving their vote a lot of thought and are voting objectively?

Ideally everybody did like you, but that's not the case, you're in the minority. It is what it is, a poll that shows who's got the most rabid fans.

True, but why follow the pack animals?

I don't give these polls any thought really. It just something fun for the fans, not really to be taken all that seriously. Why not use these opportunities to try getting some positive press for your favorite band?

I actually rarely vote on them if truth be told - I made your exact same point awhile back, about them merely reflecting the zealousness of the fanbase. I did vote this time because Rock or Bust has never left my record player.

I have a lot of 'favourite bands' really. In fact I listen to a lot of musical genres, not just rock music.

I suppose AC/DC is one of your favorites then?

How do you compare Angus' performance in 2014 to Tom Maxwell, Paul Masvidal, Richard Kruspe and Fredrik ?kesson? I assume you've listened through their contributions to make a firm objective decision in this poll.

Look, if you did listen to all the music of the above mentioned artists, good on you.  Smiley

Your absolutely right - as I said, my default position is to never even click on the weblink to these absurd polls, let alone, voting on them. But I am a fan of Zakk Wylde, Slash and DC from that list and made a judgement upon those three acts. My vote, I feel, is 'slightly' more objective than merely, instinct, fan based voting. Slash could have won for instance but I theorised that Rock or Bust is a slightly better record than World on Fire. I actually came to a decision, here.

If I was to vote for DJ, it would have to be based on SIXX AM's latest release (who I am not a fan of), not Guns. The fact that many of these acts (including Ashba) have released records is an obvious decision maker.

PS

Just to clarify, true objectivity is impossible in a poll such as that - spirit, you are correct - but a 'partial' (internal) objectivity can be attainable, by judging who has had the best year, from the acts, you like enough to have listened to that given year (live or studio). What if Guns had an excellent year and you voted Guns 'Best Band'. It means nothing, nihil, because you would have automatically voted 'Guns' if they had a terrible year also!! It is Sheep thinking like that, the reduction of fandom to Stepford Wive levels of absolute mindlessness and stupidity, that I cannot fathom here.

Ultimately, these polls mean nothing but at least broaden your musical instincts a bit and think outside the box. Give yourself a chance here.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:54:51 PM by mortismurphy » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »

Thanks.  Kiss
Amazing how much time the people who don't agree with me spend on trying to insult me....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2015, 05:32:52 AM »

You're still upset because I chose to remove a post by you that didn't offer anything to the discussion and was only taking silly shots at Dj?
You call it censorship, I call it keeping discussions civil.

And yes, i have no trouble admitting that this site isn't aimed at every entitled disgruntled attention seeking fan.

/jarmo

My posts have often been deleted here that's why I rarely use this forum as a medium for discussion. I still look at the forum the odd time because if there's a rumour going around and it's not deleted by you then it's probably true. On this particular instince I decided to say something.
This is no personal attack, we've met in person many times and we've never had a problem.
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2015, 06:24:15 AM »

There is no reason to choose, it isn't a competition.

It isn't? Uh...   confused
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »

There is no reason to choose, it isn't a competition.

It isn't? Uh...   confused

Duh, one is in GNR and the other was formerly in GNR.
Why isn't  it alright to admire both, for different reasons?

I understand the poll/vote is to choose a favorite- BUT the idiocy going on here on a more or less daily basis is that people seem convinced it is a sin to appreciate more than one lineup. Why not appreciate them all? I have liked aspects of every single one since 1988.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »

Smiley

/jarmo

What I meant was, it takes an extra ordinary genius to be willing enough to sacrifice one's action of independent thought, internal objectivity and sense of humour, to make one, amiable enough for a sycophantic junket. Most of us treasure these aspects of our personality.

Oh fuck you, and your endless whining and utter horseshit, seriously.

Nobody has given up "aspects of their personality".

You are such a grandstanding drama queen. hihi

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »

Some of us would even like to see him contribute something to a GNR album one day.

To dream the impossible dream.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »

Do you ever get the feeling that the only reason some people post here is because if they said the same thing on mygnr their comment would not stand out? If they made the same comment there it would hardly be noticeable because it would go with the grain but here it gets a lot of attention. Ultimately company is company and I wouldn't wish banishment on anyone but some of the antics that go on around here are really puzzling.

I often see people complain about or insult Jarmo and his way of doing things yet they feel obligated to post on Jarmo's website. How does this make any sense? It's like sticking around in some guys house and constantly saying things you know are going to piss him off, then getting upset when he talks back to you or tells you that he will not stand for such a thing being said in his home. He is a pretty nice host, all things considered.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2015, 01:58:55 PM »

Do you ever get the feeling that the only reason some people post here is because if they said the same thing on mygnr their comment would not stand out? If they made the same comment there it would hardly be noticeable because it would go with the grain but here it gets a lot of attention. Ultimately company is company and I wouldn't wish banishment on anyone but some of the antics that go on around here are really puzzling.

I often see people complain about or insult Jarmo and his way of doing things yet they feel obligated to post on Jarmo's website. How does this make any sense? It's like sticking around in some guys house and constantly saying things you know are going to piss him off, then getting upset when he talks back to you or tells you that he will not stand for such a thing being said in his home. He is a pretty nice host, all things considered.

If you still have interest in what the band does, you come here.

If you want to talk about Axl's hair, or weigh in on "Axlites" vs. "$la$h", you go to MYGNR.

Here, we still talk about a new album like it might actually happen.  That's a laugh line at MYGNR.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2015, 02:08:22 PM »

"Here, we still talk about a new album like it might actually happen.  That's a laugh line at MYGNR."-DX

The whole reason we can do that here is because Jarmo does not allow GNR defaming to go unchecked. Yet when he tries to keep it in check it is always a problem for someone. I feel it should be obvious to such people how Jarmo likes to run his site by now.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »

"Here, we still talk about a new album like it might actually happen.  That's a laugh line at MYGNR."-DX

The whole reason we can do that here is because Jarmo does not allow GNR defaming to go unchecked. Yet when he tries to keep it in check it is always a problem for someone. I feel it should be obvious to such people how Jarmo likes to run his site by now.

If you've been to MYGNR, you know what real defaming is.  Nothing remotely like that goes on here.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »

Well DX, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. If you don't know where I'm coming from at all than I guess you never will, but I'm OK with that.  Smiley

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »

Well DX, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. If you don't know where I'm coming from at all than I guess you never will, but I'm OK with that.  Smiley

It seems you are coming from a position that we should all check our objectivity at the door, and the only things that should be said is how super terrific awesome everything is.

Are you under the impression that everyone that posts here thinks that way?

I think quite the opposite.  That mindset is pretty much why you can empty a gun around here and not hit anybody.  The vast, vast majority of people find that to be a joke, which is why there are so few of us here on the regular.

Those of us that come here, we are doing so because of our love of the band.  Not because we find Jarmo's worldview particularly appealing or righteous.  We come here quite despite of that, not because of it.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »

It seems you are coming from a position that we should all check our objectivity at the door, and the only things that should be said is how super terrific awesome everything is.

Are you under the impression that everyone that posts here thinks that way?

I think quite the opposite.  That mindset is pretty much why you can empty a gun around here and not hit anybody.  The vast, vast majority of people find that to be a joke, which is why there are so few of us here on the regular.

Those of us that come here, we are doing so because of our love of the band.  Not because we find Jarmo's worldview particularly appealing or righteous.  We come here quite despite of that, not because of it.

His way of doing things is what makes this place what it is. He is the sole reason this place is different from mygnr, is he not? What is it that Jarmo does that keeps this place different in a good way, and how is that separate from what he does that people are always complaining about? To me they seem to be one and the same thing, or at least two sides of the same coin.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:12:31 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2015, 03:22:51 PM »

His way of doing things is what makes this place what it is. He is the sole reason this place is different from mygnr, is he not? What is it that Jarmo does that keeps this place different in a good way, and how is that separate from what he does that people are always complaining about? To me they seem to be one and the same thing, or at least two sides of the same coin.

Sifting out stuff like Axl's hair, Axl's weight, Axl versus Slash, tired reunion questions...that's the appeal of this place.

Being told you are a fake fan, that you only say something positive as clever cover to say something else negative, that you are an entitled asshole that's got some god damn balls for asking a simple question...that is why so few come here.  I don't find that talk productive, but I can at least roll with it.  Most people cannot.

I still contend we'd have a lot fewer detours and general thread hijackings if we knocked that talk off.  And its sure not any of us that start down that road. 

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »

Well people can blame it on him but they know what gets him going at this point. It's like knowing the stove is going to burn you if you touch it, doing it anyway, and then bitching about it. "I love this place, but I hate that damn stove!". Stay away from the stove then. If it was that much of a problem, if most people here really disliked Jarmo's way of doing things, then they could easily open another GNR forum that sifted through all the tired subjects and "the vast, vast majority" would flock to that forum instead.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: