Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 06:43:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 258999 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #980 on: August 13, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »

That's what makes it so hard though. You have to go through 4 teams and beat each 4 times out of 7. In baseball you only need 4 wins twice. 3 once and one other if you're a wild card. The Stanley cup playoffs have plenty of drama. You are guaranteed to see many overtime games each round.

You can be a bottom feeder team in hockey and just squeeze into the playoffs....   So getting into the playoffs isnt hard    Then one of those bottom feeders can get hot in the playoffs and win the whole thing.   The Kings did it a couple of years ago

I agree there is great drama in the Stanley cup playoffs.   At least in the first round.  Usually by the third round I am loosing interest.   Hockey in June is not my thing

And there is zero drama leading up to the playoffs   Especially for teams that have already locked a spot

Soccers/footballs World Cup would also be high on my list
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #981 on: August 13, 2015, 08:10:46 PM »

That's what makes it so hard though. You have to go through 4 teams and beat each 4 times out of 7. In baseball you only need 4 wins twice. 3 once and one other if you're a wild card. The Stanley cup playoffs have plenty of drama. You are guaranteed to see many overtime games each round.

You can be a bottom feeder team in hockey and just squeeze into the playoffs....   So getting into the playoffs isnt hard    Then one of those bottom feeders can get hot in the playoffs and win the whole thing.   The Kings did it a couple of years ago

I agree there is great drama in the Stanley cup playoffs.   At least in the first round.  Usually by the third round I am loosing interest.   Hockey in June is not my thing

And there is zero drama leading up to the playoffs   Especially for teams that have already locked a spot

Not so great teams get in baseball too with the wild card. The new division format in the NHL has helped. They now have two wild cards. Both conferences had playoff spots going right down to the wire. Even the president's trophy winners last season didn't clinch until pretty late and they were the first to clinch. Only about 3 weeks prior to the season ending. You can have MLB teams clinch early as well. There's still plenty of drama in the later rounds too trust me. I watch every year and there were multiple overtime games after round 1 that where the winner moves on. That's drama.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #982 on: August 13, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »

Wow tonight is not the Cards night is it Falcon? A  7 run first inning for the Pirates.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #983 on: August 13, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »

Wow tonight is not the Cards night is it Falcon? A  7 run first inning for the Pirates.

This whole winning every night thing can be a drag, man.. Wink

Kidding aside, a couple of misplays in the first opened the flood gates, it happens.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #984 on: August 13, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »

Not so great teams get in baseball too with the wild card. The new division format in the NHL has helped. They now have two wild cards. Both conferences had playoff spots going right down to the wire. Even the president's trophy winners last season didn't clinch until pretty late and they were the first to clinch. Only about 3 weeks prior to the season ending. You can have MLB teams clinch early as well. There's still plenty of drama in the later rounds too trust me. I watch every year and there were multiple overtime games after round 1 that where the winner moves on. That's drama.

Like I said when it comes to hockey.  A lot of it has to do with my team not making the playoffs in 10 years.   It's hard to keep watching for myself when I have no vested interest in anything.   Plus May and June are not sit around and watch hockey time for me.   

It's not like the jays are playing hahaha

But the oilers will turn it around this year.   We drafted what is supposed to be the next great one
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #985 on: August 13, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »

Like I said when it comes to hockey.  A lot of it has to do with my team not making the playoffs in 10 years.   It's hard to keep watching for myself when I have no vested interest in anything.   Plus May and June are not sit around and watch hockey time for me.   

But the oilers will turn it around this year.   We drafted what is supposed to be the next great one

Haha yeah that would help. We'll see they keep getting the top pick a lot the last few years and still suck. I think management needs a good ass kicking on that team.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #986 on: August 13, 2015, 11:39:15 PM »

Finally the Yankees put an end to their losing streak.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #987 on: August 14, 2015, 01:25:28 AM »

Haha yeah that would help. We'll see they keep getting the top pick a lot the last few years and still suck. I think management needs a good ass kicking on that team.

They got more than a kicking they got a firing

The oilers fired all the scouts.   Brought in a new president of hockey ops and gm and a new head coach.   Hope all those moves this summer helps
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #988 on: August 14, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »

Bacon... you guys gunna let us win at least one this time?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #989 on: August 14, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »

Falc, who's team MVP for the Cards so far (other than the scouting hackers)?  Looking at the lineup, roster, staff... there are no holes anywhere. 

Tough to say although Matt Carpenter would probably be my pick if forced to decide.

Beyond him, it's the whole pitching staff (and Yadi) - dominant starters and lock down relief.

Wainwright gone, Holliday gone, Adams gone, Walden gone... who would have thought they'd be 33 over .500 - not me that's for sure.

Lotsa baseball left though, the Pirates are really good and the Cubs are on a roll.

EDIT: Here's a metric-centric article from Grantland that goes deep into the Cards reason(s) for success thus far:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-st-louis-cardinals-cluster-luck/

Good article, I love metrics analyses though I tend to be wary of them when they try to isolate things down to one cause.  Like in this case, I think the various theories given for how well the Cards are doing are probably all true to some extent, plus some other reasons that might not have been considered.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #990 on: August 14, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »

If we don't we're in big trouble.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #991 on: August 14, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »

Falc, who's team MVP for the Cards so far (other than the scouting hackers)?  Looking at the lineup, roster, staff... there are no holes anywhere. 

Tough to say although Matt Carpenter would probably be my pick if forced to decide.

Beyond him, it's the whole pitching staff (and Yadi) - dominant starters and lock down relief.

Wainwright gone, Holliday gone, Adams gone, Walden gone... who would have thought they'd be 33 over .500 - not me that's for sure.

Lotsa baseball left though, the Pirates are really good and the Cubs are on a roll.

EDIT: Here's a metric-centric article from Grantland that goes deep into the Cards reason(s) for success thus far:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-st-louis-cardinals-cluster-luck/

Good article, I love metrics analyses though I tend to be wary of them when they try to isolate things down to one cause.  Like in this case, I think the various theories given for how well the Cards are doing are probably all true to some extent, plus some other reasons that might not have been considered.

Metrics are great, hardly the end all be all of analysis and evaluation but food for thought.

Unfortunately the delivery method by a few of the talking heads (Kenny, Law, etc...) is so condescending it takes away from the message and becomes white noise for me.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #992 on: August 14, 2015, 04:50:56 PM »

Sad news coming out of Boston. John Farrell has stage one lymphoma and will not manage the rest of the year.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #993 on: August 14, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »

Sad news coming out of Boston. John Farrell has stage one lymphoma and will not manage the rest of the year.

That is sad...i wish him and his family the best. Hopefully, since its stage 1, they caught it early and the outcome is good.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #994 on: August 14, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »

Jose valverde suspended 80 games for ped use.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #995 on: August 14, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »

That is sad...i wish him and his family the best. Hopefully, since its stage 1, they caught it early and the outcome is good.
Yeah he says it's a very small contained area and has a great chance for a full recovery.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #996 on: August 14, 2015, 05:49:39 PM »

I have a feeling the Yankees may faker 2/3 of the games this series
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #997 on: August 14, 2015, 08:28:09 PM »

Sad news indeed, great they caught it soon though.

My older brother knew Farrell in their days at Oklahoma State, he was a walk on and got to know Farrell before he got cut. 

Farrell was an absolute stud in college on some great OSU teams that spawned a ton of big leaguers, always rooted for the guy and will continue to do so.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #998 on: August 14, 2015, 09:26:53 PM »

Sad news indeed, great they caught it soon though.

My older brother knew Farrell in their days at Oklahoma State, he was a walk on and got to know Farrell before he got cut. 

Farrell was an absolute stud in college on some great OSU teams that spawned a ton of big leaguers, always rooted for the guy and will continue to do so.
Absolutely, wish him a speedy and full recovery. Cancer is nothing to mess around with.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #999 on: August 14, 2015, 09:47:20 PM »

Well the Yanks and Jays game sure turned quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 89 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: