Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 05:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 261512 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1340 on: October 02, 2015, 06:35:02 AM »

Somebody wake me up after the Yankees win the wild card game... if they don't... let me sleep!
It's safe to wake up lol.

I think he wants to wait til they WIN (not play in) the wild card game.  IE: If the Yanks make the ALDS.  The way they've been playing lately....I mean, I know..it's one game, anyone can win, and none of their potential opponents are killing it right now, either, but.....

If the Yanks somehow made it out of the ALDS, it would be a miracle.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1341 on: October 02, 2015, 08:46:14 AM »

Somebody wake me up after the Yankees win the wild card game... if they don't... let me sleep!
It's safe to wake up lol.

I think he wants to wait til they WIN (not play in) the wild card game.  IE: If the Yanks make the ALDS.  The way they've been playing lately....I mean, I know..it's one game, anyone can win, and none of their potential opponents are killing it right now, either, but.....

If the Yanks somehow made it out of the ALDS, it would be a miracle.

Correct haha

They need to win this wild card game for me to not be miserable about how this second half played out for a long long time. I had no expectations for this season, so it's a pleasant surprise... but when they were 7 games up... This will be a big let down to not be in the Division series.

Hoping to play the Angels on Tuesday and not have to see keuchel... even tho he would be on 3 days rest.

If they win the WC game... I would expect Toronto to not need a fifth game, but i will be pleased with the season.

When you consider the Yankees don't have one guy hitting 280, and don't have one pitcher with more than 11 wins ( sans Eovaldi who is out)....

Girardi deserves a medal and Cashman deserves a beating.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1342 on: October 02, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »

The Yankees want the young kids to succeed as Yankees which i understand but guys like Bird etc should've been with the big club all season. You can't say you're doing a youth movement then send them all to the minors after camp breaks.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:14:07 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1343 on: October 03, 2015, 01:57:18 PM »

The Yankees want the young kids to succeed as Yankees which i understand but guys like Bird etc should've been with the big club all season. You can't say you're doing a youth movement then send them all to the minors after camp breaks.
You have to be careful with young kids though. Don't want to bring them up too early and stunt their development.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1344 on: October 03, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »

True, the kids they've brought up though are doing quite well.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1345 on: October 03, 2015, 09:29:42 PM »

The Mets are sure stumbling into the playoffs. Just got no hit and blew any chance of home field against the Dodgers. They play like this in the NLDS and the Dodgers will stomp all over them.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1346 on: October 04, 2015, 02:46:47 PM »

Lots of moves happening after today's games

It was a blast talking to all you guys this 2015 season

Go Jays!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1347 on: October 04, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »

Wow the Yanks hang on to home field in the wild card game by the skin of their fucking teeth. Pathetic. Houston is gonna kill us if we play like this.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1348 on: October 05, 2015, 09:55:38 AM »

Wow the Yanks hang on to home field in the wild card game by the skin of their fucking teeth. Pathetic. Houston is gonna kill us if we play like this.
Houston has some pretty good #'s against Tanaka too FWIW.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1349 on: October 05, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »

I would probably shit a chicken if the Yanks win on Tuesday.

In addition: CC Sabathia just released a statement that he's checked himself into an alcohol rehabilitation center to "treat his disease".

I'm guessing, but not certain, that means he's not going to be in the Yanks playoff plans (as short as they'll likely be).

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1350 on: October 05, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »

8 game lead (7 in the loss column) in the AL East at the deadline

to

BARELY skating into the playoffs, and BARELY getting a single home game (and I doubt much more).

Yeah, I'd chalk that up to not so hot.  I know, broken record: But they have to start thinking about firing Cashman.  A good portion of the reason they crapped out is their lack of move at the deadline.  You could see, all season, they needed another effective right handed bat, and another arm in the pen.

Instead, they rode the horses they had into the ground. Betances and Miller look GASSED. Arod looks spent. Beltran likewise looks tired.

Just terrible.

They won't. The Yanks front office thinks he walks on water...but..if you run these teams through modeling, they're 70 to 75 win teams.  It's not Cashman's genius getting them to 83 to 87 wins...it Girardi squeezing every oz out of guys and even then...it's not enough.

PS: Lest anyone say I'm not giving Toronto enough credit...look, they played a GREAT second half. No doubt about it! They DO deserve a ton of credit.

But the Yanks should have at least made it challenging for them.  They should have at least SKATED into the WC game.

They sucked the last 60 games. No other way to say it. They were 29-31 from Aug 1st - the end of the season.  They were 3-10 vs the Blue Jays in that time frame.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:27:11 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1351 on: October 05, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »

In addition: CC Sabathia just released a statement that he's checked himself into an alcohol rehabilitation center to "treat his disease".

I'm guessing, but not certain, that means he's not going to be in the Yanks playoff plans (as short as they'll likely be).
Yep, just heard that. Won't be a part of their post season roster.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1352 on: October 05, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »

You would think he would wait until after tomorrow to see if they win or lose first... I feel this story is just the tip of the iceberg to some bigger controversy.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1353 on: October 05, 2015, 01:28:23 PM »

You would think he would wait until after tomorrow to see if they win or lose first... I feel this story is just the tip of the iceberg to some bigger controversy.

I think he did it today to specifically EXCLUDE himself from the post season roster.  There was talk that he should be available out of the pen.

Together again,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #1354 on: October 05, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »

I know, broken record: But they have to start thinking about firing Cashman.  A good portion of the reason they crapped out is their lack of move at the deadline.  You could see, all season, they needed another effective right handed bat, and another arm in the pen.

Instead, they rode the horses they had into the ground. Betances and Miller look GASSED. Arod looks spent. Beltran likewise looks tired.

Just terrible.

They won't. The Yanks front office thinks he walks on water...but..if you run these teams through modeling, they're 70 to 75 win teams.  It's not Cashman's genius getting them to 83 to 87 wins...it Girardi squeezing every oz out of guys and even then...it's not enough.

I've wondered from a far what is happening with Cashman... not knowing the specifics in the lower levels of the farm system, is the lack of movement due to lack of chips, or due to lack of self/situational awareness with the line up?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1355 on: October 05, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »

I can't even begin to understand what CC is going through, and I hate to sound heartless. But the timing of this couldn't be worse for the team. Similar to Cashman not making any moves at the deadline, it's as if nobody involved with the Yankees believe they have any chance to make any noise. If they had 100 wins and were heading into the playoffs on a high, I question whether CC would be making this decision now. I doubt it will sit well with the team and his teammates. It may not matter all that much if they lose to Houston, but it's odd timing. Apparently something happened in Toronto that set him over the edge and put this all in motion.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1356 on: October 05, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »

I've wondered from a far what is happening with Cashman... not knowing the specifics in the lower levels of the farm system, is the lack of movement due to lack of chips, or due to lack of self/situational awareness with the line up?

They have 4 or 5 HUGE chips in the minors that are coveted....some of them are with the big club, now (Severino and Bird, for example).

They refuse to part with them. They basically told all the teams that all the good stuff was off the table. Which, of course, means nobody is going to make a deal.

Look, I don't want them to LITERALLY give up the farm...but giving up one or two of those pieces likely would have put them in WS contention. Or at least a hell of a lot closer to they are.

I get the value of young talent....REALLY get it.  But the 100 game mark, they were set to make a run.  How valuable is a shot at a WS championship vs 2 young players?  And what are your chances of being there again WITH those young players on your MLB roster?

I'm a big proponent, in baseball, of seizing unexpected opportunity.  When you find yourself in contention, when everyone and their grandmother was pointing to you and saying you had no shot....I think you take advantage of that. Because your window is likely small.

Cashman has, for the last 3 or 4 seasons, put together TERRIBLE MLB rosters that Girardi has somehow turned into not abject abominations on the field.  These teams have projected to be in the 70 to 75 win area...and ended up between 80 and 85 wins.  That's not a testament to Cashman...it's a testament to Girardi.  Cashmans keeps giving him SHIT to work with.

And I'm not saying the Yanks need to spend 250 million on payroll, either.  But the moves they make....for example this off season...made almost no logical sense.  That's been the theme of the past 2 or 3 seasons.  It's like he's just throwing cheap shit at a wall and seeing what sticks...and he's doing it just BECAUSE it's cheap, and happens to play a position of need.  It's not "cheap with a potential upside".

It's maddeningly frustrating...and, IMHO, it's time for him to find new work.  This ain't working.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1357 on: October 05, 2015, 06:25:14 PM »

Division Series times announced:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25328725

THURSDAY

ALDS Game 1: Rangers at Blue Jays (4 pm)
ALDS Game 1: Astros at Royals (7:30pm) or Yankees at Royals (8 pm)

FRIDAY

ALDS Game 2: Rangers at Blue Jays (12:45 pm)
ALDS Game 2: Astros or Yankees at Royals (3:45 pm)

NLDS Game 1: Cubs or Pirates at Cardinals (12:45 pm)
NLDS Game 1: Mets at Dodgers (9:45 pm)

SATURDAY

NLDS Game 1: Cubs or Pirates at Cardinals (5:30 pm)
NLDS Game 2: Mets at Dodgers (9 pm)

SUNDAY

ALDS Game 3: Royals at Astros or Yankees (4 pm)
ALDS Game 3: Blue Jays at Rangers (8 pm)

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1358 on: October 06, 2015, 12:38:46 AM »

They have 4 or 5 HUGE chips in the minors that are coveted....some of them are with the big club, now (Severino and Bird, for example).

They refuse to part with them. They basically told all the teams that all the good stuff was off the table. Which, of course, means nobody is going to make a deal.

Look, I don't want them to LITERALLY give up the farm...but giving up one or two of those pieces likely would have put them in WS contention. Or at least a hell of a lot closer to they are.

I get the value of young talent....REALLY get it.  But the 100 game mark, they were set to make a run.  How valuable is a shot at a WS championship vs 2 young players?  And what are your chances of being there again WITH those young players on your MLB roster?

I'm a big proponent, in baseball, of seizing unexpected opportunity.  When you find yourself in contention, when everyone and their grandmother was pointing to you and saying you had no shot....I think you take advantage of that. Because your window is likely small.

Cashman has, for the last 3 or 4 seasons, put together TERRIBLE MLB rosters that Girardi has somehow turned into not abject abominations on the field.  These teams have projected to be in the 70 to 75 win area...and ended up between 80 and 85 wins.  That's not a testament to Cashman...it's a testament to Girardi.  Cashmans keeps giving him SHIT to work with.

And I'm not saying the Yanks need to spend 250 million on payroll, either.  But the moves they make....for example this off season...made almost no logical sense.  That's been the theme of the past 2 or 3 seasons.  It's like he's just throwing cheap shit at a wall and seeing what sticks...and he's doing it just BECAUSE it's cheap, and happens to play a position of need.  It's not "cheap with a potential upside".

It's maddeningly frustrating...and, IMHO, it's time for him to find new work.  This ain't working.
I do wonder how much of this is really on Cashman though? Are Hal and Hank telling him to reign in the spending and not trade the future?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1359 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:26 AM »

I can't even begin to understand what CC is going through, and I hate to sound heartless. But the timing of this couldn't be worse for the team. Similar to Cashman not making any moves at the deadline, it's as if nobody involved with the Yankees believe they have any chance to make any noise. If they had 100 wins and were heading into the playoffs on a high, I question whether CC would be making this decision now. I doubt it will sit well with the team and his teammates. It may not matter all that much if they lose to Houston, but it's odd timing. Apparently something happened in Toronto that set him over the edge and put this all in motion.
Timing does seem odd but who knows what happened behind the scenes to prompt this. Perhaps his family pushed him to do it by basically saying shape up or get out. That'd get me in rehab real quick. Above all i hope he gets better. This is his life baseball is second at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 89 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: