Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 10:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 259121 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1280 on: September 24, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »

And THAT pretty much wraps up the division for the Jays, IMHO.  3 Loss lead with 10 to play, for them.  They would have to have an EPIC collapse. They also have an 8 loss lead on a playoff spot...so its an absolute certainty their playoff drought will end.

Yanks have a 5 loss lead with 11 to play in the wildcard (both overall and for home field in that game).  They have a tiny bit of work to do, but, at this point, I think they can start focusing on that, rather than looking at the division. Hopefully they can wrap up home field in the one game playoff BEFORE next weekend, so they can rest some folks and get their rotation and relievers in place.

I'd bet, provided his hammy is better, Tanaka gets the ball in the one game....and, if they win....I think Severino might get the game one start in the Divison series.

Best thing for the Yanks is if the Twins and Astros are battling til bitter end.....

I don't consider being in the wild card making the playoffs... I know it might sound silly or wrong...

Once you win that wild card game.. then you are in the playoffs... I have no faith in the yankees beating Keuchel in a one game winner take all. Would love to see the Twinkies or Angels in that game.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1281 on: September 24, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »

I don't consider being in the wild card making the playoffs... I know it might sound silly or wrong...

Right, it's just 1 extra game to determine the wildcard playoff team.  I really liked that change because it brought back the excitement of division races, even if not to the same extent as it was before wildcards.

Mets are really stumbling toward the finish.  Cespedes and Co. were never going to maintain that torrid stretch of hitting, but what that seemed to hide is that the starters look like they're all pretty much gassed.  Hope they can find a second wind.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1282 on: September 24, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »

Right, it's just 1 extra game to determine the wildcard playoff team.  I really liked that change because it brought back the excitement of division races, even if not to the same extent as it was before wildcards.

Mets are really stumbling toward the finish.  Cespedes and Co. were never going to maintain that torrid stretch of hitting, but what that seemed to hide is that the starters look like they're all pretty much gassed.  Hope they can find a second wind.

Yeah.. I like the wild card game...but I won't be happy in any way to just be int he game, win it... and then you are a playoff team.

I'm not a met fan..but being a New Yorker.. I think I have a good grasp on the Mets... I really fear the Harvey fiasco is going to ruin the season... What a distraction... at this time of year to come out with all of that.

I don''t think he is going to pitch in the playoffs... and if he doesn't and if I rooted for them... I would never give the Wilpons a dollar until he is off the roster.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1283 on: September 24, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

Yeah.. I like the wild card game...but I won't be happy in any way to just be int he game, win it... and then you are a playoff team.

I'm not a met fan..but being a New Yorker.. I think I have a good grasp on the Mets... I really fear the Harvey fiasco is going to ruin the season... What a distraction... at this time of year to come out with all of that.

I don''t think he is going to pitch in the playoffs... and if he doesn't and if I rooted for them... I would never give the Wilpons a dollar until he is off the roster.

I don't feel quite as extreme about it as that.  For me, barring an uber-Metsian year-end collapse to the Nats, it's impossible for anything to ruin their season at this point... the season's been awesome and they're on the verge of making the playoffs for the 1st time in ages.  If they're in the playoffs, I would expect them to beat the Dodgers, but if they don't, that's nothing to get too down about, the Dodgers are good.  If they get past the Dodgers, it would take a fluke to beat the Cards/Pirates/Cubs, as those teams are at a level above and beyond any team in the majors IMO.  That's the situation with or without Harvey, who in any case, is planning to pitch if they're in the playoffs. 
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1284 on: September 24, 2015, 12:11:52 PM »

I don't feel quite as extreme about it as that.  For me, barring an uber-Metsian year-end collapse to the Nats, it's impossible for anything to ruin their season at this point... the season's been awesome and they're on the verge of making the playoffs for the 1st time in ages.  If they're in the playoffs, I would expect them to beat the Dodgers, but if they don't, that's nothing to get too down about, the Dodgers are good.  If they get past the Dodgers, it would take a fluke to beat the Cards/Pirates/Cubs, as those teams are at a level above and beyond any team in the majors IMO.  That's the situation with or without Harvey, who in any case, is planning to pitch if they're in the playoffs. 

Well lets say Harvey declares he's out for the playoffs... You still think they are beating the Dodgers?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1285 on: September 24, 2015, 01:36:42 PM »

Well lets say Harvey declares he's out for the playoffs... You still think they are beating the Dodgers?

Yes.  If Harvey pitches, which I'm pretty confident he will, it wouldn't be against Kershaw or Greinke, it would be against one of the back-end rotation scrubs.  The Mets would be favored to win that game whether its Harvey or Colon pitching. 

That series is going to turn on whether Kershaw/Greinke craps the bed.  I think at least one will. 
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1286 on: September 24, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »

Flying off to Toronto for 3 games..   Leaving in 3 hours

Should be a blast

Go Jays!

Have fun! Your team has really earned this after many years of futility.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1287 on: September 24, 2015, 07:54:52 PM »

Not for nothing..but pineada has pine tar on the brim of his hat.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1288 on: September 24, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »

Westin harbour castle Toronto

Having a room pop now

About to hit the town for the first time in 20 years

Go jays!!!!

It's row tomorrow night. Right behind the jays dugout.    Baconman style!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1289 on: September 24, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »

Mikey Pine Tar up to his old tricks? I'll have to check that out

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1290 on: September 25, 2015, 12:15:54 AM »

It's MLB sponsored staged stupdity for dramatic effect.

Let's play a buck sixty two then decide who gets to play on via an elimination game. Roll Eyes

It's also the most nerve racking thing I've ever experienced as a fan, the 2012 play in game with the Cards and the Braves literally took years off my life. nervous

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1291 on: September 25, 2015, 06:46:02 AM »

Mikey Pine Tar up to his old tricks? I'll have to check that out

Yeah, you can see the resin build up (about a thumb sized dot) on the middle brim of his cap...and there was a shot where he lifted up his cap a bit to wipe his head, and you could see a little brown "smear" on the underside of the cap.

Those are pretty much the tell tale signs...and..honestly..the ones that the umps usually ignore.  Not like the giant smear on his neck.

He's not the only guy who uses it....but tonight is the first time I've noticed the signs on him since his suspension.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1292 on: September 25, 2015, 06:52:31 AM »

It's MLB sponsored staged stupdity for dramatic effect.

Let's play a buck sixty two then decide who gets to play on via an elimination game. Roll Eyes

It's also the most nerve racking thing I've ever experienced as a fan, the 2012 play in game with the Cards and the Braves literally took years off my life. nervous

I'm not a fan of the one game nature. I think it should be at least a 3 game series...all games played in the team with the better records park. It would only push the Division series a few days.  And yes, I know the pitching/rotation issues it would create.  Don't care. Baseball, more than any other sport, is a game of series.  I get why the tie breakers are one game...and I'm a bit more OK with that. But the playoffs should be based on series. JMHO.

But I do consider the wildcard game to be the playoffs.  Now, that doesn't mean I'm "satisfied" with just making it into that game, as a fan.  I'm not.

And whether we consider it the playoffs or not...MLB officially does, so the records would show...as long as the Jays make that game..their drought is broken.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1293 on: September 25, 2015, 10:12:12 AM »

And whether we consider it the playoffs or not...MLB officially does, so the records would show...as long as the Jays make that game..their drought is broken.

Oh, I didn't know that.  So, conversely, no stats from that game are added to a player's regular season stats, like a pitcher's 20th win?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1294 on: September 25, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »

Having s beer at Wayne Gretzkys bar in Toronto.   Right by the stadium.   Life is good

Price has been moved up to start tomorrow

Let's go jays!!!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1295 on: September 25, 2015, 06:03:31 PM »

Hey Faldor, thoughts on the new Red Sox VP of baseball ops?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1296 on: September 25, 2015, 11:29:32 PM »

Hey Faldor, thoughts on the new Red Sox VP of baseball ops?
Frank Wren was the supposed lead candidate for the GM position since he's worked with Dombrowski in the past. And promoting Mike Hazen to GM keeps some stability in the front office. But it's basically Dombrowski calling the shots. He's got a proven track record, aside from building a good bullpen. Hopefully Wren and Hazen can excel in that area because their bullpen basically needs a complete overhaul.

The interesting thing will be to see what they do with John Farrell. Typically when a team has a shakeup in the front office, the on field manager doesn't stick around long. Now the situation is a little tricky, as Farrell is undergoing cancer treatment and hasn't been managing since Dombrowski came aboard. It'd be a little cold hearted to fire a guy who's busy fighting cancer. But it's something that eventually has to be addressed.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1297 on: September 26, 2015, 01:11:53 AM »

Congrats to the cubbies on their first playoff birth in a decade.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1298 on: September 26, 2015, 09:22:03 AM »

Go jays!

First time seeing price pitch   I can't wait
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1299 on: September 26, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »

Oh, I didn't know that.  So, conversely, no stats from that game are added to a player's regular season stats, like a pitcher's 20th win?

The wc game is considered playoff stats.

The one game play in Games...like if two teams are tied at the end of the season, and only one can make it to some form of the playoffs (or win the division)....those are regular season games.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 89 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: