Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 06:41:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)  (Read 269372 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #900 on: October 30, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »

I think singing like Axl does is a lot like being an athlete. A tour is like a season.
Maybe you can score a hat trick in the first game and/or make a new record, but then you might "suffer" for it for the rest of the season. You have to take it into consideration. You have a long season that you need to get through.

Or...maybe you go through a proper training camp and be ready to roll by the time you start charging people to see you perform.

I trust you aren't seriously arguing that this is all some strategy to not be in tip top shape for show #1, lest have to suffer from that comparison.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #901 on: October 30, 2014, 01:58:55 PM »

Just some thoughts on the idea of new GN'R material:

I've read where there is already material recorded / written and this has us fans wondering why no release. But considering the fact that Chinese was almost certainly comprised of "A" material, I'm not all that jazzed to hear the stuff that didn't make the cut. I know songs get withheld because they don't fit with the album, but I'm not one who visualizes a vault filled with songs destined to be classics that just need to be released (especially since none of the songs from CD are). So in that sense, I am not jonesing for a new GN'R album if that's what it will contain.

Ron Thal is so right on about needing to jam as a band and write songs together that it isn't even funny. Lyrics aside, it is just a fact of music that the best stuff (like GN'R's previous albums) results from that energy and trying to capture it.

I've defended the musical growth of this band before and I do think it is the hallmark of a truly talented musician(s). But enough growth already.  Fly everybody out to Rumbo and get crackin' with the hard rock. Guitars + real drums + loud = an f'ing hard rock album. Thank you.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:01:01 PM by Poops Magee » Logged

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #902 on: October 30, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »

I've read where there is already material recorded / written and this has us fans wondering why no release. But considering the fact that Chinese was almost certainly comprised of "A" material, I'm not all that jazzed to hear the stuff that didn't make the cut. I know songs get withheld because they don't fit with the album, but I'm not one who visualizes a vault filled with songs destined to be classics that just need to be released (especially since none of the songs from CD are). So in that sense, I am not jonesing for a new GN'R album if that's what it will contain.

Ron Thal is so right on about needing to jam as a band and write songs together that it isn't even funny. Lyrics aside, it is just a fact of music that the best stuff (like GN'R's previous albums) results from that energy and trying to capture it.

I've defended the musical growth of this band before and I do think it is the hallmark of a truly talented musician(s). But enough growth already.  Fly everybody out to Rumbo and get crackin' with the hard rock. Guitars + real drums + loud = an f'ing hard rock album. Thank you.

Agreed. I know some forum members dig the results of Axl?s approach to Chinese, and that?s great, but I?m not one of them.
It sounds like he himself didn?t quite like what he was hearing, so he cut and pasted sounds on top of sounds incessantly for years, then scrubbed them all down to get them squeaky clean.
The tracks were ridden of any organic/raw sound they may have once possessed.

Get in the studio, write/jam like a band, and if you like what you hear, great. Capture it.
If its not there, all the cutting and pasting in the world probably isn?t gonna change that.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #903 on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »

Good post.  

I have long championed the current band doing their own album.  And if some of the other stuff already recorded was just deemed that super awesome, fine.  Have the current band re-record them.  I think its laughable to the point of absurdity to release an album in 2015 (or later) containing material done by guys out of the fold over a decade, and want nothing to do with GNR or Axl Rose.

But...I am also a realist.

If its taking this god damn long to get Axl to release stuff already done, imagine what starting from scratch would entail.

And, elephant in the room, I find it pretty telling that in the past 8 years he has zero desire to write and record with his current band.  That's a huge red flag to me.  He either doesn't think they can hack it, isn't interested in finding out, or both.   And, as a personal aside, it astounds me that guys like DJ and Ron aren't the least bit insulted by this.

So, in the ultimate case of I will take what I can get, I'm up for a new album in whatever form it takes.  Preferably, before I am 50.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #904 on: October 30, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »

Agreed. I know some forum members dig the results of Axl?s approach to Chinese, and that?s great, but I?m not one of them.
It sounds like he himself didn?t quite like what he was hearing, so he cut and pasted sounds on top of sounds incessantly for years, then scrubbed them all down to get them squeaky clean.
The tracks were ridden of any organic/raw sound they may have once possessed.

Get in the studio, write/jam like a band, and if you like what you hear, great. Capture it.
If its not there, all the cutting and pasting in the world probably isn?t gonna change that.

Agreed.

The album has absolutely no flow.  Even the songs I really like sound fragmented and disjointed.

mortismurphy
« Reply #905 on: October 30, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »

He rarely soundchecked on the illusion tour. I have an interview with Slash and he says, he basically would not see Axl until a few seconds before the concert. Then after the show they might have a small discussion along the lines of, ''good show tonight'' and that is it. Axl would disappear and they would not see him again until a few seconds before the next show.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #906 on: October 30, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »

Or...maybe you go through a proper training camp and be ready to roll by the time you start charging people to see you perform.

So, Mr. "it's not GN'R", are you saying he doesn't care?

To answer your silly question, no it's not a strategy. It's common sense for anybody who has to rely on something that's a bit difficult to have control over, such as your voice. I trust Axl knows what to do better than you. Even though you claim to know how he thinks...  Smiley

Ok.... Just to remind you of something that happened in the past. The band saved You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry and November Rain for later when recording Appetite For Destruction. Now, imagine you saying the same thing about those songs. Would you?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #907 on: October 30, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »

Good post.  

I have long championed the current band doing their own album.  And if some of the other stuff already recorded was just deemed that super awesome, fine.  Have the current band re-record them.  I think its laughable to the point of absurdity to release an album in 2015 (or later) containing material done by guys out of the fold over a decade, and want nothing to do with GNR or Axl Rose.

But...I am also a realist.

If its taking this god damn long to get Axl to release stuff already done, imagine what starting from scratch would entail.

And, elephant in the room, I find it pretty telling that in the past 8 years he has zero desire to write and record with his current band.  That's a huge red flag to me.  He either doesn't think they can hack it, isn't interested in finding out, or both.   And, as a personal aside, it astounds me that guys like DJ and Ron aren't the least bit insulted by this.

So, in the ultimate case of I will take what I can get, I'm up for a new album in whatever form it takes.  Preferably, before I am 50.

Well I think Ron probably took the hint ..... We have been down this road many times before... I think we are all in the same place... just take what we can get.

A perfect world... he would release the old Bucket/Robin songs a
nd make new music with the current band...like you stated... that doesn't appear to be a serious consideration.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #908 on: October 30, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »

To answer your silly question, no it's not a strategy. It's common sense for anybody who has to rely on something that's a bit difficult to have control over, such as your voice. I trust Axl knows what to do better than you. Even though you claim to know how he thinks...  Smiley

Ok.... Just to remind you of something that happened in the past. The band saved You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry and November Rain for later when recording Appetite For Destruction. Now, imagine you saying the same thing about those songs. Would you?

/jarmo

Agreed. There is no reason to think the last record had the A songs, and the next record would be the B songs.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
mortismurphy
« Reply #909 on: October 30, 2014, 02:52:26 PM »

When he discussed the second album in the past, it seemed 'style' which was the determiner, not quality. The second was going to be the more industrial sounding challenging record.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #910 on: October 30, 2014, 02:55:59 PM »

He rarely soundchecked on the illusion tour. I have an interview with Slash and he says, he basically would not see Axl until a few seconds before the concert. Then after the show they might have a small discussion along the lines of, ''good show tonight'' and that is it. Axl would disappear and they would not see him again until a few seconds before the next show.

You and I obviously read the same lies and distortions put out there to unfairly malign the man.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #911 on: October 30, 2014, 02:58:40 PM »

Hey, it was your analogy, sport.  I'm just playing off it.

I'm saying it shows a lack of professionalism.  Then again, so does coming onstage at 11:30.

And I know "this is not new!!", but that's no kind of answer. 

I used to throw my food on the floor too.  If I was still doing it years later, I wouldn't expect people to overlook it because it was how I always rolled.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #912 on: October 30, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »

Agreed. There is no reason to think the last record had the A songs, and the next record would be the B songs.

And I'm with you.

I've seen it speculated the leaks determined the track listing, but I don't buy it.  The leaks got out because that's what was going to be released.

Unless someone can think of some other reason we never got a leak of a song that didn't make the cut.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #913 on: October 30, 2014, 03:02:46 PM »

You and I obviously read the same lies and distortions put out there to unfairly malign the man.

You might have read something, but then your mind makes up something like:

he does not practice or rehearse with the band.  Doesn't even go to sound check. 

Liar, liar.....

Don't try playing the victim here. Others stick to facts or quotes, you on the other hand like to spin it.

Kiss

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #914 on: October 30, 2014, 03:03:33 PM »

Well I think Ron probably took the hint ..... We have been down this road many times before... I think we are all in the same place... just take what we can get.

A perfect world... he would release the old Bucket/Robin songs a
nd make new music with the current band...like you stated... that doesn't appear to be a serious consideration.

Nope.

And if Ron is indeed gone, yeah, that's why.  And the ones that are till there has simply made their peace with it, much as we fans have.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #915 on: October 30, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »

You might have read something, but then your mind makes up something like:

he does not practice or rehearse with the band.  Doesn't even go to sound check. 

Liar, liar.....

Don't try playing the victim here. Others stick to facts or quotes, you on the other hand like to spin it.

Kiss

On balance, I'm right.

That time you were there and saw him do it, great.  People also saw me pick up a up a hot chick that time.  Doesn't make me a confirmed ladykiller.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #916 on: October 30, 2014, 03:16:49 PM »

On balance, I'm right.

That time you were there and saw him do it, great.  People also saw me pick up a up a hot chick that time.  Doesn't make me a confirmed ladykiller.

Of course you are, in your own mind. Do you want a cookie?
You lie, make a generalization and twist things. Then convince yourself you're right.

Rehearsals with Axl present have happened.
Regarding your fantasy, nobody here knows.  Cheesy

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #917 on: October 30, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »

On balance, I'm right.

Of course you are, in your own mind. Do you want a cookie?
You lie, make a generalization and twist things. Then convince yourself you're right.

Rehearsals with Axl present have happened.
Regarding your fantasy, nobody here knows.  Cheesy

One guy so clearly offbase shouldn't warrant this much attention, Jarmo.  I believe I told you yesterday to just let me wallow in my ignorance, like the lost cause I am. 

You are the one that wants to keep circling back to it for whatever reason.  I was content to let it be.  And trust me, I've held back.

Lot of other folks have chimed in here today.  Why not give them some of your time?

GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #918 on: October 30, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »

I agree with Jarmo -- there's no way Shackler's Revenge and Scraped could be considered "A" material.
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #919 on: October 30, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »

@Jarmo

Oh not at all, in fact that's what I was alluding to, and it certainly was a good move! It just stands to reason that Chinese Democracy was an album that was created to be the very best it could be and that they wouldn't not include the best songs because they don't fit. Heck, the album is quite varied as it is.

I like what some of the other posters were getting at-- the piecemeal songs from years ago that didn't make the most hyped album in modern rock history might be better than Chinese Democracy (I doubt it), but lets hear what it sounds like when you get these guys in a room with a couple of sixers and say "go to it fellas". And it's not to say I won't buy the next album. I will.

I just wish the rumor was closer to "the band has been jamming and we've got some killer shit-these guys are really gelling!" and not the "well, there's a bunch of stuff in the can that we could release" line that is wearing thin. But hey, I hope I'm wrong, and it's only rock n' roll.  

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: