Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:25:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Goodbye Ron (???)
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 125 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Ron (???)  (Read 432558 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2040 on: March 28, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »

I prefer smaller venues...   I prefer a bar settting....  Hate festivals.    and any show you would see in a stadium looks better in a arena

That Said

When I watch my concert blue rays....  Nothing sounds or looks better then a huge festival show....

Yeah, you can't beat that presentation.

I am down on festivals for the sheer time commitment.  Even if were were three bands I really dug, not sure I'd want to sit there for 10 hours to hear them all.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #2041 on: March 28, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »

In many ways, smaller the venue: better the gig. Music was not actually meant to be performed in sports stadiums.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2042 on: March 28, 2015, 10:29:23 AM »

Stadiums are problematic, I agree.

But I'd rather an arena than some club.  More people, more energy.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2043 on: March 28, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »

I prefer smaller venues...   I prefer a bar settting....  Hate festivals.    and any show you would see in a stadium looks better in a arena

That Said

When I watch my concert blue rays....  Nothing sounds or looks better then a huge festival show....

Yeah, you can't beat that presentation.

I am down on festivals for the sheer time commitment.  Even if were were three bands I really dug, not sure I'd want to sit there for 10 hours to hear them all.

I agree with the time commitment. Sometimes, though, festivals can lead you to like other bands. For instance, I only like one Kid Rock song, which was "Only God Knows Why" in 1999. Summer of 2000, my buddies and I did a cross country road trip. Metallica was headlining a festival when we were supposed to spend time in Los Angeles. We thought it would be good to go since we are Metallica fans. Kid Rock, Korn, Powerman 5000, System of the Down and another band were all in this festival. Kid Rock was awesome during his performance. As a result, I became a fan of his music.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2044 on: March 28, 2015, 12:30:04 PM »

I was at Download and it was my worst ever GN'R experience. Awful.

Sadly I think GN'R have blown it with UK festivals.

The first half of it seems rough, based on the Youtube clips I've seen.  Crowd is not super cooperative.

But I thought the situation had righted itself by show's end.  Is that not right?

They had way better shows on that European tour. The great thing about Download is the end result. You had a major uphill battle ear ly on in the show. The band kept going and won everybody over!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #2045 on: March 28, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »

I love small/headlining shows too.  The Toronto 7/15/13 at Sound Academy was a bar and had about 2000? people....it was awesome....BUT VEGAS had the better setup/sound.  I love, LOVE the Vegas shows and that seams to me to be the perfect size/venue for GNR.

I wonder what the smallest venue is they have played?

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2046 on: March 28, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »

I wonder what the smallest venue is they have played?

The Plumm?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2047 on: March 28, 2015, 02:56:52 PM »

Stadiums are problematic, I agree.

But I'd rather an arena than some club.  More people, more energy.

I will put up with seeing a act in an arena, as that's where most bigger shows take place.

I would not call the energy from the crowd at most shows I have seen positive, in arenas...  Especially is you are unlucky enough to be at the opposite end as the stage...

Most arenas and stadiums, especially if older, are just not set up to pull off a good concert.

My best choice would be a theater.   That's only purpose is to have concerts.

I have seen some of my all time fav concerts at bars....   Probably because the vodka is very close.  But also because the sound and energy in that the crowd gives is far greater than anything the chair sitters give off in a arena
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #2048 on: March 28, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »

The first half of it seems rough, based on the Youtube clips I've seen.  Crowd is not super cooperative.

But I thought the situation had righted itself by show's end.  Is that not right?

It started off well with the usual jungle/easy/brownstone but all went south when Axl walked off for technical reasons. Ron tried to save the day with "don't cry" solo (first time he did it) and has had my respect ever since. Tommy ranting and throwing his bass accidentaly at the camera man was total cringe. Izzys appearance & Sebastian Bach got things on some sort of track. But it was not a triumph in any way I'm afraid Jarmo. It was the worst GN'R gig I've been at and I've been to alot before and after.

Just one of those things as the Dublin equivalent was awesome & available on you tube.
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #2049 on: March 28, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »

Leeds 2002 however was fucking phenomenonal the crowd was 100% with Axl.

Why Chinese was not released then I guess we will never know.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2050 on: March 28, 2015, 05:04:57 PM »

Ron tried to save the day with "don't cry" solo (first time he did it) and has had my respect ever since.

I think he had done that in the preceding European shows.

But, in that moment it mellowed the crowd, no doubt.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2051 on: March 28, 2015, 05:38:12 PM »

Ron tried to save the day with "don't cry" solo (first time he did it) and has had my respect ever since.

Just off my memory, but didn't he pull it off in Japan or China to start?

I will do everything in my power to never admit RON saved any day...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2052 on: March 28, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »

Just off my memory, but didn't he pull it off in Japan or China to start?

I will do everything in my power to never admit RON saved any day...

Japan was 2007. That was the first time Axl joined in.

Sweetness is a virtue
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2053 on: March 28, 2015, 06:50:51 PM »

But it was not a triumph in any way I'm afraid Jarmo. It was the worst GN'R gig I've been at and I've been to alot before and after.

#1: They finished it.
#2: They were having fun before it was over.

That's like night and day, in one gig.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #2054 on: March 28, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »

But it was not a triumph in any way I'm afraid Jarmo. It was the worst GN'R gig I've been at and I've been to alot before and after.

#1: They finished it.
#2: They were having fun before it was over.

That's like night and day, in one gig.

/jarmo

I'm talking about my perspective in the crowd. It was not a good time. Were you there?

Also I'm pretty sure it was don't cry's first outing???

I'm in no way having a go. Some of the best gigs have been in the uk. The wembley 2006 shows & O2 gigs in 2010 were superb
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:09:45 PM by reayj2003 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2055 on: March 28, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »

I have a lot of UK bootlegs, spanning their whole career.  I agree, pretty solid town for shows for GNR. 

The 2012 DVD they released over there was great.  And obviously those Marquee 1987 shows are top shelf.

First night at Milton Keynes in 1993 too.  One of the best shows from that variation of the tour, I think

reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #2056 on: March 28, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »

I have a lot of UK bootlegs, spanning their whole career.  I agree, pretty solid town for shows for GNR. 

The 2012 DVD they released over there was great.  And obviously those Marquee 1987 shows are top shelf.

First night at Milton Keynes in 1993 too.  One of the best shows from that variation of the tour, I think

Is there a bootleg of the Milton Keynes show?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2057 on: March 28, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »

I'm talking about my perspective in the crowd. It was not a good time. Were you there?

Also I'm pretty sure it was don't cry's first outing???

I was there in the sunshine and dust. The feelings went from "I can't believe this is happening" to "Izzy is on stage!" and "Looks like they're having fun again!".

If it wasn't the first, it was among the first. That's for sure.

I'm in no way having a go. Some of the best gigs have been in the uk. The wembley 2006 shows & O2 gigs in 2010 were superb

As I said earlier, it definitely wasn't  the best show on that tour. London was better. Birmingham, Nottingham were great too as far as I remember.

In addition, still no proper answer to why festivals would book a band like GN'R to headline when according to some there's no demand for the band. Amazing!
Easier to ignore and move on than to answer. So I guess I'll offer an answer, festivals book headliners who'll draw a crowd. Not just for shits and giggles. So there you go. Don't let self appointed experts tell you otherwise because they want you to believe they have a clue.  ok

/jarmo

reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #2058 on: March 28, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »

Birmingham 06 is in my top 3. Brilliant "Hot" night. WELCOME TO THE SAUNA!!
dolphins
Rocker

« Reply #2059 on: March 28, 2015, 08:46:23 PM »

It started off well with the usual jungle/easy/brownstone but all went south when Axl walked off for technical reasons. Ron tried to save the day with "don't cry" solo (first time he did it) and has had my respect ever since. Tommy ranting and throwing his bass accidentaly at the camera man was total cringe. Izzys appearance & Sebastian Bach got things on some sort of track. But it was not a triumph in any way I'm afraid Jarmo. It was the worst GN'R gig I've been at and I've been to alot before and after.

Just one of those things as the Dublin equivalent was awesome & available on you tube.

Is that the footage of Axl saying he may as well lie down? I couldn't tell from the video if he was joking or cross with Ron, wasn't he in a mood at the beginning and then came good & joked how he felt much better than at the start?
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 125 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: