Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 12:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Goodbye Ron (???)
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 125 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Ron (???)  (Read 402783 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2320 on: June 17, 2015, 11:43:13 AM »

I pretty much agree with faldor on the audition thing.

Do actors really talk about roles they didn't land?  The only time I can recall such a thing is when it happens YEARS later when they are asked to confirm a long held rumor.

And they almost always appear unhappy discussing it.

The "main" rumors when it came to actors not getting rolls, really all come from before the internet era

Take for instance the new Spider Man movie in devolpment.  Marvel has confirmed that the rolll is down to 3 actors...    

This day in age acting audions, who is offered rolls, who gets picked are all pretty open.  

As for the VR singer search.....   haha that topic is almost as old as talking about a guns set list.

However, from what I remember they have made public in the past, before Scott joined...  So years and years ago...   I think they had 5 guys come in, you probably all know the names.  

And recently...  (as in years ago).  I think they just audtioned Cory Taylor and he didnt get the job...   Once again made public
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2321 on: June 17, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »

As for the setlist argument, nice to see we've come full circle. There are other bands that literally play the same setlist every show for the entire run of a tour. I'll freely admit that Guns has played the same exact setlist a few shows in a row, but they certainly added songs along the way. Sometimes they switch up the order. Again, you're taking a quote and putting your own spin on it. As if he said, "I love how we go out there and play as diverse a setlist every night than any band in the history of music has ever done. We put Pearl Jam to shame". By just a quick glance, it looks like Sixx A.M. plays a static setlist. So maybe he's comparing it to other bands he's been in. Maybe in comparison, there IS a difference.

They may be exaggerations. I'll give you that. But it's a bold take to paint them as out and out lies. It's all about the vantage point I suppose and you only need to read the screen name to figure out the gist of each post in these parts.

As I said, I would never say "lie", because that implies malice.

But as for the setlist, I actually see it the opposite way.  One has to put their own spin on things to make that one work.  How there is all this alleged variety.

CD-WTTJ-ISE-MRB opens every show.  Can you come back with the *one time* it was YCBM and say that proves DJ correct?  Sure.  But I think its hard to make that argument with a straight face.

The fact is that before each night of the tour the past few years, any one of us could make up a setlist before the show then compare it to how accurate we were, both in terms of the songs played and their order.

We would not struggle to score a quite high percentage on both.

Which, in itself, is fine.  A lot of bands have a general setlist for a tour.  I could do a similar thing with the Rolling Stones tour happening right now.

But do they blow smoke up your ass about Mick Jagger is mixing it up and "keeping them on their toes"?

No.  And that's the issue.
DJ is a salesman. He's trying to spice things up. What exactly do you want him to do? Tell people to go google the setlist so they know exactly what to expect? Maybe he thinks changing one song every 4th show is a big change. Axl is keeping them on their toes too. They don't know what time they'll go on. What kind of mood he'll be in. What kind of mood the crowd will be in. Even though on the surface it may appear to be the same, it could be anything but.

Thats a really good way to look at it....

As DJ has many faults, I have always said Guns is lucky to have him

He is a very good brand promoter
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2322 on: June 17, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »

If they're not known to the general public, the media that covers them must probably cater to a nich? group of people then.

If it did come up in an interview that they auditioned, pretty big chance the general public (us) didn't hear about it then.

I would call us more die hard Guns N Roses fans, than the "general public"

I doubt the general public is coming to webpages like this to discuss all things gnr related.

So out of the 100 + guitar players audioned, if just one of them gave just one interiew to one media source....    We would have seen it.   Just looked at the obscure media sources that are posted here nearly daily

So, the bottom line is: Dj is lying.

That's the message you want to get accross?

What's the upper limit of auditioning guitar players where there is reasonable to believe none of them blabbered to the media? Or do you figure there were no auditions?

I wouldnt say DJ is lying at all.....

I would say it seems DJ is quite the story teller though.

I think the auditions where minimual, if at all, for the spot DJ took....   They had a guy in mind (DJ) and got him.  

As per your other question about blabbery to the media.   The number of guys would have to be very very low and already known to the band.  Where both partys could sort of have a hush hush mentality..  "Hey Joe come down and play with the boys and see if it work, but lets keep this on the down low K."  

Fair enough.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2323 on: June 17, 2015, 12:58:32 PM »

The full quote:

GUNS N' ROSES Auditioned 'Over A Hundred Guitar Players' Before Settling On DJ ASHBA

June 17, 2015

Speaking about how he landed the GUNS N' ROSES guitarist gig six years ago, Ashba said: "GUNS N' ROSES management called me, which, actually, was my personal manager too, so that kind of helped. But they said, you know, 'GUNS had been auditioning guitar players on the down low. They've been through over a hundred guitar players. Would you wanna come down and check it out?' And I honestly never saw myself doing it. I was, like, man, me and Axl [Rose, GUNS N' ROSES singer] are both from Indiana. I'd met him. Sharon Osbourne introduced me. When I was doing a BEAUTIFUL CREATURES record, they were next door doing the 'Chinese Democracy' record. And I was, like, 'Yeah, I'll go down. I'd love to see Axl again and say hi.' And he wasn't there, but he caught wind that I was gonna come down. And he called management and said, 'If he even shows up, he has the gig.' And that's kind of how it happened. It wasn't a real audition process, and I didn't even know that I was getting the gig. I just wanted to go down and, kind of, say hi to everybody."

He continued: "I didn't have a clue? Even after I accepted and everything, I had no idea that the shoes I was stepping into were pretty hardcore; it was a hardcore thing. I'd never read a bad thing about me on the Internet ever [before], and [now it was], like, 'You're not Slash. Fuck you!' And I'm, like, 'Oh, shit! This is a whole different thing.' I mean, that kind of blindsided me, 'cause my head wasn't even there. I was, like, 'I'm a fan of the band. I'm just trying to help keep that music alive.' But, you know, I finally slowly won those? some of them over, so it's good."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-auditioned-over-a-hundred-guitar-players-before-settling-on-dj-ashba/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2324 on: June 17, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »

I can imagine they had over 100 on the list, while only some of those actually had come to an audition.

Sweetness is a virtue
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #2325 on: June 17, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »

I can imagine they had over 100 on the list, while only some of those actually had come to an audition.

It is common to send in a tape/recording/video of your work when auditioning as a preliminary step.

When keeping the above step in mind it is easy to see how 100 applicants could be very feasible.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2326 on: June 17, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »

He continued: "I didn't have a clue? Even after I accepted and everything, I had no idea that the shoes I was stepping into were pretty hardcore; it was a hardcore thing. I'd never read a bad thing about me on the Internet ever [before], and [now it was], like, 'You're not Slash. Fuck you!' And I'm, like, 'Oh, shit! This is a whole different thing.' I mean, that kind of blindsided me, 'cause my head wasn't even there. I was, like, 'I'm a fan of the band. I'm just trying to help keep that music alive.' But, you know, I finally slowly won those? some of them over, so it's good."

People give DJ too hard a time.

Some act like the dude runs a dog fighting ring.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2327 on: June 17, 2015, 09:56:36 PM »

Those dogs would be so pretty
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2328 on: June 17, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »

With Ashba Swag dog collars. I see potential there.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2329 on: June 19, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »

With Ashba Swag dog collars. I see potential there.

Hahahaha

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2330 on: June 19, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »

DJ says Guns N' Roses auditioned over 100 guitar players before hiring him.  How long will it take to replace Ron...

@44:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xKvORSJsI

Here's the interview with DJ from this same event, GearFest June 12-13.

He mentions again that more than 100 guitar players auditioned.  On being asked to audition for GN'R he says "I never thought much of it, I really didn't give it a lot of thought. Yeah of course I love guns, whatever."

On how they split the guitar parts...

"It's real easy because we all three have such different styles, Ron is an incredible shredder guy, Richard is obviously amazing, plays anything, and I just like to drink. It's never an ego thing, do you want to play this part, take that whatever, we really don't care, we have a blast doing it."

@16:37 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsDSB5AxOrQ

He talks like Ron is still in the band, maybe he hasn't seen the clues. Tongue

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2331 on: June 19, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »

I am almost starting to think it's kinda smart guns hasn't announced anything in regards to Ron leaving the band.   They have left the possible door open, for one off/future plans....

Don't get me wrong. I think Ron has acted like a total drama queen with his child like public actions the past year   

I also think once all this stuff happened with Ron and he came public.  The band should of sent out a presser.  Addressing it and what was up....

BUT

Since they didn't comment on anything.   Ron is really the only one who looses face by coming back    Say guns has a couple of one off shows near year end.  Around new years or early next year.   There best bet for a hassle free show would be to go to the devil you know.   Offer Ron a deal.  Play a couple of gigs.   See what happens.   A public apology from Ron would also go along way.   

I just think.  If Ron isn't busy at the time.   Guns gets a great offer at the time.  And Axl has a itch to play a couple of shows...    There best bet would be to reach out to Ron. 

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2332 on: June 22, 2015, 01:09:48 PM »

Here's the interview with DJ from this same event, GearFest June 12-13.

He mentions again that more than 100 guitar players auditioned.  On being asked to audition for GN'R he says "I never thought much of it, I really didn't give it a lot of thought. Yeah of course I love guns, whatever."

On how they split the guitar parts...

"It's real easy because we all three have such different styles, Ron is an incredible shredder guy, Richard is obviously amazing, plays anything, and I just like to drink. It's never an ego thing, do you want to play this part, take that whatever, we really don't care, we have a blast doing it."

@16:37 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsDSB5AxOrQ

He talks like Ron is still in the band, maybe he hasn't seen the clues. Tongue

From this interview with DJ.  I didn't mention this part, he talks about it at the end of the video.

GUNS N' ROSES Guitarist DJ ASHBA Claims His Aunt And Uncle Invented Technology For Aerosol Cans

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-guitarist-dj-ashba-claims-his-aunt-and-uncle-invented-technology-for-aerosol-cans/

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2333 on: June 22, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »

I don't see the relevance. Huh

Sweetness is a virtue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2334 on: June 22, 2015, 01:36:51 PM »

I don't see the relevance. Huh

It's just something he says in the interview.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2335 on: June 22, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »

Ok

Sweetness is a virtue
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #2336 on: June 22, 2015, 08:59:34 PM »

Just listened to Ron in Eddie Trunk.  He remaind silent when it came to current status with GNR.  Eddie asked directly but Ron stated he couldn't say anything without it getting misinterpreted.  I have a feeling his status is open.  There is no GNR active right now so He isn't In or Out.  But when there is GNR action in the future he hasn't discounted being a part.  My thoughts.  Did anyone else listen?

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #2337 on: June 22, 2015, 09:37:46 PM »

didn't listen, but would agree...things he has said I am sure don't sit well with the rest of the crew, but, as of now, imo, GNR is an open book. Undecided
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:39:48 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2338 on: June 23, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »

didn't listen, but would agree...things he has said I am sure don't sit well with the rest of the crew, but, as of now, imo, GNR is an open book. Undecided

Totally agree.  If you're them, how do you welcome him back into the fold?

Even if his status was open, have to think he closed it wiht all this nonsense.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2339 on: June 24, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »

DJ said Guns N' Roses auditioned guitar players for a year and a half before asking him to audition.  So it may take some time to replace Ron.

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 125 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: