Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 06:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Goodbye Ron (???)
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 125 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Ron (???)  (Read 403385 times)
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #2280 on: June 12, 2015, 08:42:56 AM »

SO, I admit I haven't been paying much attention to Ron's solo career, but how is it going?
Is he on tour?
He complained for the last 5 years that Guns was holding him back.
Is he very busy these days?

He's released 2 albums this year. No full tour yet.

Art of Anarchy seems to be dead on arrival, which is sad because there are a few good songs on that album.  It's hard to generate buzz for a new band when the lead singer disavows ever being in the band...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2281 on: June 12, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »

It seems like touring is the way for smaller artists to make a decent living.  It's very hard to get promotion and marketing from record labels.  So if you are out in clubs putting on a decent show chances are the drunk idiots will be more likely to purchase your album there and even some swag.   As long as the swag is not for the Outragious price of $30!! 

How is Rons touring going?  For the most part it seems he is just on some sort of interview tour
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2282 on: June 12, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »

I think if you look at things right now, if the band released an album next week, there'd be very little touring to be done. Since many members are already committed to doing other tours. Who knows, maybe it's better to wait?

With Richard touring the rest of 2015 with The Dead Daisies and DJ releasing an album and doing a world tour with Sixx:A.M. for most of 2016, we're looking at a 2017 release?

And on topic: I guess they will also have to find a replacement for Ron.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2283 on: June 12, 2015, 01:12:02 PM »

Yeah, if there's that kind of indifference from the record company, then it's easy to see how it would be frustrating to deal with it.

I would agree, if that was their response.  If Axl has gone to them more than once and they show no interest, yeah, that's a problem.

But if the guy has gone totally off the grid, is that on them?  If the artist himself can't seem to muster up enough of a shit for his own career, is it on them to have monthly check-ins and try and coax him into showing some interest in his own life?

If you had, as a business, invested the kind of money and resources (and had the kind of contract options they do) in GnR...wouldn't you check in, at least with band management/representation, pretty regularly to try to see some ROI?  So yeah...it's on them, to some extent.

There are 4 basic scenarios:

1) Axl wants to release material, the label isn't interested/ready/happy with terms..whatever.
2) The label wants to release material, Axl isn't interested/ready/happy with terms...whatever.
3) Neither wants anything to do with the other.
4) Both want to release material, and are moving forward (at whatever pace they deem appropriate).

I don't think ANY of the parties is wholly uncommunicative with the other, though, unless we're at #3.  And, to think we're at #3, you have to assume the label would be willing to write off millions of dollars in investment and value of contract options.  I can't get there.  Axl being stubborn because of some slight or argument over terms or material quality or whatever? Maybe a bit more believable to me, just base on some past history (though he's mended LOTS of fences, lately, too).

I think 1,2, and 4, above mean there is communication. It might not be in depth bearing of souls, but I don't think there's apathy.  I don't think you'd find anyone involved saying "Well, we haven't heard from XXX in years".  Maybe a few months..but not longer.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:18:07 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2284 on: June 12, 2015, 01:17:01 PM »

With Richard touring the rest of 2015 with The Dead Daisies and DJ releasing an album and doing a world tour with Sixx:A.M. for most of 2016, we're looking at a 2017 release?

And on topic: I guess they will also have to find a replacement for Ron.

I wouldn't worry too much about Sixx:A.M. world tour plans in 2016 yet.  Look at their touring now.  I think Nikki is being VERY optimistic with his comments.  They might do a "world tour" (ie: they'll hit mult countries) but I doubt it will be a 100 to 200 date, year encompassing, arena level tour. 

Lets see what the rest of 2015 brings, and we'll worry about 2016 in Oct/Nov....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2285 on: June 12, 2015, 02:06:28 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about Sixx:A.M. world tour plans in 2016 yet.  Look at their touring now.  I think Nikki is being VERY optimistic with his comments.  They might do a "world tour" (ie: they'll hit mult countries) but I doubt it will be a 100 to 200 date, year encompassing, arena level tour. 

Sixx:A.M. isn't touring now because of Motley Crue's final tour.

I wouldn't rule out 2016:

Nikki Sixx

All three of us are writing our asses off for SixxAM not to mention all the ideas and songs we already have??2016 and 2017 is gonna be exciting releasing new music and touring A LOT?.Cant wait to go into the studio and start laying down these great songs in June with James and DJ?..We will drop hints along the way..Maybe even a soundbite here and there ?

May 31

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2286 on: June 16, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »

From an interview with Ron:

Last Wikipedia question. It says initially that you were not treated well in the band, that they want a third guitarist and you had to "get a little violent" to gain other member's respect. Is that true?

(Laughs) Yeah. I just deleted that! (Writer's note: Ron told me he was editing his Wikipedia page right before our interview). You know what, I don't want to get into dirt and all that negative crap. There were so many good things that happened with 'Guns'. People just wanna put all the bad stuff on Wikipedia. They don't wanna talk about any of the good stuff. They don't wanna talk about visiting a children's hospital in Dallas. Well, ultimately when I joined the band, in the first month, it's true and I'm not revealing anything that I haven't already put out there. So it wasn't the warmest welcome. I kind of had to earn it.

Did you have to just dig in with your playing and prove yourself or were there actual physical fights?

Well, I think it was just more of a situation like a new family member was brought home without the other siblings' consent (laughs), or to their surprise. It was like, 'Who the fuck is this guy?' (laughs). So it took a good minute for us to get to know each other. I don't know if we ever did. I don't know if we ever got to really know each other to be honest. I feel like the environment I was in never gave me a chance to just comfortably be myself and not feel guarded. But that's just me, and that's just the way the pieces fell, you know.

You played with Guns N' Roses for eight years. What were some of your live highlights?

Definitely playing Madison Square Garden. That's where I saw my first Kiss concert, the 1979 "Dynasty" tour. In fact I know a lot of people who that was their first concert. My friend Brian Tichy (former Whitesnake/Billy Idol drummer) was at that one.

http://rock.about.com/od/Interviews/fl/bumblefoot-interview.htm

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2287 on: June 16, 2015, 04:11:59 PM »

DJ says Guns N' Roses auditioned over 100 guitar players before hiring him.  How long will it take to replace Ron...

@44:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xKvORSJsI

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #2288 on: June 16, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »

DJ says Guns N' Roses auditioned over 100 guitar players before hiring him.  How long will it take to replace Ron...

Finding 100 players with less ability than DJ requires much time and patience, which Axl clearly has in spades.
Get comfortable, could be a while.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2289 on: June 16, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »

That seems like a real even number.....

He has also said his audtion was done in secret.....

So there was over 100 guitarests audtioning in secret to Guns N Roses, that have all kept there mouth shut about it over the years....
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #2290 on: June 16, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »

Another interview just popped up today....

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bumblefoot-on-his-guns-n-roses-bandmates-i-dont-know-if-we-ever-got-to-really-know-each-other/
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2291 on: June 16, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »

Finding 100 players with less ability than DJ requires much time and patience, which Axl clearly has in spades.
Get comfortable, could be a while.

From what I have read Guns never really auditioned too many guitar players in the past.  With Robin and Bucket, they pretty much got offered the gig.

Axl seems to get focused in on one guy.  Finds his man and then thats it....

100 guitar players?  I cant see it
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #2292 on: June 16, 2015, 05:33:43 PM »

BUMBLEFOOT On His GUNS N' ROSES Bandmates: 'I Don't Know If We Ever Got To Really Know Each Other'

June 16, 2015

BUMBLEFOOT On His GUNS N' ROSES Bandmates: 'I Don't Know If We Ever Got To Really Know Each Other'
In a brand new interview with Rock.About.com, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal was asked if it's true that he was not treated well when he first joined the Axl Rose-fronted group in 2006 and that he had to "get a little violent" to gain other members' respect.

"You know what?! I don't want to get into dirt and all that negative crap," he responded. "There were so many good things that happened with GUNS. People just wanna put all the bad stuff on Wikipedia. They don't wanna talk about any of the good stuff. They don't wanna talk about visiting a children's hospital in Dallas.'

He continued: "Well, ultimately, when I joined the band, in the first month, it's true and I'm not revealing anything that I haven't already put out there. So it wasn't the warmest welcome. I kind of had to earn it? I think it was just more of a situation like a new family member was brought home without the other siblings' consent [laughs], or to their surprise. It was, like, 'Who the fuck is this guy?' [laughs< ] So it took a good minute for us to get to know each other. I don't know if we ever did. I don't know if we ever got to really know each other, to be honest. I feel like the environment I was in never gave me a chance to just comfortably be myself and not feel guarded. But that's just me, and that's just the way the pieces fell, you know."

Thal recently revealed that he was focusing on his solo career after spending eight years playing in the Axl Rose-fronted band. Thal, however, stopped short of saying that he was no longer a member of GUNS N' ROSES, which has caused some fans to criticize him for not coming clean about where he stands with the group.

Thal responded to one fan via Facebook about the lack of clarity surrounding his position in GUNS N' ROSES. He wrote: "I can't erase a decade of history and I can't stop the media from asking what they want to ask and making up their own titles on their interviews and posts. No matter how much I ask them not to do it."

He added: "I've been honoring a request to not make any public statements about anything related to it, which continues to put me in a very awkward position that I don't want to be in. Not how I do things, repeatedly taking the bullet on this one."

Bumblefoot joined GUNS N' ROSES in early 2006 as the replacement for Buckethead. He made his live debut with the band at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City on May 12, 2006.

Bumblefoot released a new solo album, "Little Brother Is Watching", on February 24. The disc was composed, produced, recorded, mixed and mastered by Bumblefoot at his studio in New Jersey, and also features drummer Dennis Leeflang.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bumblefoot-on-his-guns-n-roses-bandmates-i-dont-know-if-we-ever-got-to-really-know-each-other/#1i14TliQdE2FW61i.99

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2293 on: June 16, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »

^^^ That's the same interview I post a few up: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=65960.msg1388485#msg1388485

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2294 on: June 16, 2015, 07:06:18 PM »

So there was over 100 guitarests audtioning in secret to Guns N Roses, that have all kept there mouth shut about it over the years....

That does seem improbable.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2295 on: June 16, 2015, 07:15:58 PM »

Not sure about 100, but Dizzy mentioned that he was present when they were auditioning, seems like a lot of guys went through the process. Axl wasn't at the auditions.

As for a lot of people keeping their mouth shut about it... I'm sure they would talk about it if it ever came up in an interview (not sure if they auditioned any famous players though), but otherwise, who would willingly go public and say that they auditioned and didn't get the job? It's the same as saying "I wasn't good enough".

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2296 on: June 16, 2015, 07:24:29 PM »

Not sure about 100, but Dizzy mentioned that he was present when they were auditioning, seems like a lot of guys went through the process. Axl wasn't at the auditions.

As for a lot of people keeping their mouth shut about it... I'm sure they would talk about it if it ever came up in an interview (not sure if they auditioned any famous players though), but otherwise, who would willingly go public and say that they auditioned and didn't get the job? It's the same as saying "I wasn't good enough".

I think if the guitarest was an unknown, they would of leaked it, or have been talking about it..   Auditioning for Guns as an unkown would be great publicity, even if you didnt get the gig.  It would be a very cool rock n roll story, that many would share, (If there was many)

And if the guitar player trying out was famous.   That in itself would of been a story.  Just look at Zack Wylde.   He is not shy at all about talking about his time trying out for guns...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2297 on: June 16, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »

I think if the guitarest was an unknown, they would of leaked it, or have been talking about it..   Auditioning for Guns as an unkown would be great publicity, even if you didnt get the gig.  It would be a very cool rock n roll story, that many would share, (If there was many)

And if the guitar player trying out was famous.   That in itself would of been a story.  Just look at Zack Wylde.   He is not shy at all about talking about his time trying out for guns...

If you're unknown, you would have to actively seek out the media to tell the story.. Not sure how good of a publicity it would be as you would come off as an attention seeker. It might put you on the radar, but for the wrong reasons.

Also, since Axl wasn't present at the auditions, the story looses a bit of excitement I think.

Sweetness is a virtue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2298 on: June 16, 2015, 08:02:51 PM »

Not sure about 100

He says they auditioned over 100 guitar players.

I think if the guitarest was an unknown, they would of leaked it, or have been talking about it..   Auditioning for Guns as an unkown would be great publicity, even if you didnt get the gig.  It would be a very cool rock n roll story, that many would share, (If there was many)

And if the guitar player trying out was famous.   That in itself would of been a story.  Just look at Zack Wylde.   He is not shy at all about talking about his time trying out for guns...

Yeah, that makes sense.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2299 on: June 16, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »

Not sure about 100

He says they auditioned over 100 guitar players.

Ok, guess they did then.

Sweetness is a virtue
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 125 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: