Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Richard Fortus brief interview
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Richard Fortus brief interview  (Read 22164 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »

As I've said multiple times in the past. There's no simple solution that will please everybody, so you might as well forget about even trying.

If the band releases the tracks that were recorded previously, with former members' contributions intact, you'll have certain elements of the so called fanbase saying shit like "it's not the current band". Just like with Chinese.

If you scrap that material, and record something new, we'll get the "so the unreleased material wasn't strong enough" or "why didn't they release the Buckethead/Robin/Paul/Brain material that they talked about?".

These are all valid points.

But far too often, you seem to use these as an excuse not to even try and do anything.  That's a shit solution that isn't helping anyone. 

At some point, you have to decide on what you feel is the best course of action, and implement it.  You can't spend the rest of your life pouting in the corner because 100% of the fanbase might not be thrilled with your choice on how to proceed. 

The concept of "perfect is the enemy of the good" has never been truer than with this band.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 01:15:09 PM »

Yeah, in my opinion, the rest of the Chi Dem era tracks need to be embraced for what they are and released & packaged as such.  Meaning, I can't think of a better way to release them than with the Grenade/Red Hand covers, keep Robin & Bucket on where Axl feels they need to be, with DJ & Ron integrated only where Axl feels the songs are "unfinished" or need to be spruced up.  Hell, they might have done this already, especially Ron "Atlas Shrugged" Thal.

Keeping these songs under wraps with hopes that DJ & Ron can reinvent them as their own will likely keep them in limbo forever.  Why prolong that?

Axl??
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »

Yeah, in my opinion, the rest of the Chi Dem era tracks need to be embraced for what they are and released & packaged as such.  Meaning, I can't think of a better way to release them than with the Grenade/Red Hand covers, keep Robin & Bucket on where Axl feels they need to be, with DJ & Ron integrated only where Axl feels the songs are "unfinished" or need to be spruced up.  Hell, they might have done this already, especially Ron "Atlas Shrugged" Thal.

Keeping these songs under wraps with hopes that DJ & Ron can reinvent them as their own will likely keep them in limbo forever.  Why prolong that?

Axl??

I lose track of this shit, has Ron mentioned "Atlas Shrugged" or no?  I can't specifically remember him throwing out current, unreleased song titles.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »

Axl??

I lose track of this shit, has Ron mentioned "Atlas Shrugged" or no?  I can't specifically remember him throwing out current, unreleased song titles.

Yes, Ron has mentioned a couple times that he recorded on Atlas Shrugged, as well as a "good handful" of tracks that did not appear on Chinese.  He even still has the solo he did for it on his laptop.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »

All true.  That last point may be the best one.

If one of Axl's concerns is truly that he doesn't want to release another album with people long gone...how does that situation improve over time?  The longer it goes, the problem does not change.  In fact, it gets worse.  He keeps adding year after year to the wait for these songs to come out and the time these guys have been gone just grows longer as we wait.

I don't claim to be inside his head, nor be an expert on how the music business works.  But I really need it explained to me how you don't take the collection of songs you have, pick your best 12-14, and go from there.  How is this hard?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 01:31:15 PM »

As I've said multiple times in the past. There's no simple solution that will please everybody, so you might as well forget about even trying.

/jarmo

are you implying Axl has tried to please everyone when it comes to releasing music? i would disagree with that. i don't think "pleasing everybody" is high on his list when it comes to anything he does musically.

but whenever any band releases an album, some people will not be happy with it. that's just a fact of life.

it's a waste of time to focus on what a small minority of people will be displeased with. the large majority of fans would just be happy if there was a plan in place. or even a goal that was communicated to us. cause these bullshit comments from various band members are frustrating.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »

are you implying Axl has tried to please everyone when it comes to releasing music? i would disagree with that. i don't think "pleasing everybody" is high on his list when it comes to anything he does musically.

but whenever any band releases an album, some people will not be happy with it. that's just a fact of life.

it's a waste of time to focus on what a small minority of people will be displeased with. the large majority of fans would just be happy if there was a plan in place. or even a goal that was communicated to us. cause these bullshit comments from various band members are frustrating.

100% correct.

Let's be real here.  Anyone still interested in hearing music from this band does not care about any of these things.  I personally feel it makes more sense to have the actual guys in the band do the record, yes.  But no so much so I would turn down stuff with Bucket and Robin on there.

I find it the cop out of alltime to claim you are moved by what some yoyo writes on your FB page or some snarky Youtube comment.  The very nature of their comment shows you they aren't going to be interested in whatever you do.  But who gives a shit?  Why does what they think even matter?

It makes zero logical sense to be concerned what some internet poster that refers to them as "fake GNR" thinks.  They should not even be anyone you notice.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »

All true.  That last point may be the best one.

If one of Axl's concerns is truly that he doesn't want to release another album with people long gone...how does that situation improve over time?  The longer it goes, the problem does not change.  In fact, it gets worse.  He keeps adding year after year to the wait for these songs to come out and the time these guys have been gone just grows longer as we wait.

I don't claim to be inside his head, nor be an expert on how the music business works.  But I really need it explained to me how you don't take the collection of songs you have, pick your best 12-14, and go from there.  How is this hard?

That's the thing.  I remember a couple of years back, a frustrated Ron responded to fans on Facebook saying "If any new music comes out soon it'll be with guys that haven't been in the band for 6 years..." or something to that affect.  But my question is "Well, what's the alternative?"  Does anyone really see Axl hunkering down in the studio for a year or so with the current lineup to write and crank out an entirely new album? Let's get serious.  It's a nice thought, but it ain't gonna happen, at least not in the foreseeable future.

So, it goes back to what I said.  They have, what, 18-20 songs left over from the Chinese sessions, many with finished vocals, that were intended to be the follow up to Chinese ANYWAY.  Have Ron & DJ spruce them up, Frank can add drum fills and whatever percussion Axl feels is missing and BAM...New album.  Why (at least to our knowledge) isn't the ball rolling on this?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 02:10:57 PM »

Nobody's saying it's an excuse to not releasing anything. Don't be silly.

Just pointing out the different scenarios and the obvious comments that will followThey need it so bad... from the obvious clique of fans.

It just seems like the "need" for the album is somewhat related to certain fans' idea that their lives will be better (?) if only Axl delivers an album to them. I just don't buy it.
They "need" it so bad it's almost all they can talk about. And we all know what will happen once they get it. "Ok, got it. Now what?"  hihi

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:17:25 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 02:26:52 PM »

It just seems like the "need" for the album is somewhat related to certain fans' idea that their lives will be better (?) if only Axl delivers an album to them. I just don't buy it.
They "need" it so bad it's almost all they can talk about. And we all know what will happen once they get it. "Ok, got it. Now what?"  hihi

/jarmo

I can only speak for myself, jarmo, but my reaction to getting the next album would hardly be "Now what?".  I am of the belief, and of course I'm human and could be mistaken, that the remaining tracks recorded during the Chinese era are the last we're likely to get from Axl, in terms of what could be put out as a full-on album release.  Personally, I just don't see him going back into the studio to record an entirely new album from scratch with the current lineup, save maybe for a couple of DJ Ashba penned tracks, should the spirit move him to do so, and should DJ remain in the band.  Again, that's my opinion.

Axl referred to Chinese as "double" meaning Chinese, and whatever tracks were/are meant for the follow up.  That hasn't happened yet.  Meaning, we only have half of Axl's vision.  When and if it does come out, I think to a lot of fans who followed Guns through the entire Chinese Democracy saga and beyond will meet it with a great sense of relief and see it as a total blessing to see songs like The General & Atlas Shrugged see an "official" release. Sure, there will likely be dissenting idiots, but literally every big name band has those.  You can't not do something because certain "fans" can never be pleased.  Nothing would ever get released.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:54:28 PM by sofine11 » Logged
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 02:55:07 PM »

jarmo... dont worry... i promise speaking for myself... a new GNR album ... is no where near a priority in my life.... if Axl never lets us hear it.... i promise I wont jump off the cliff....

but this is a GNR website geared towards the current GNR right? thats what you always tell people... so other than reading the set lists each night....

what the hell are we supposed to talk about if not  the next album..................

i'd love to know

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »

THIS is the kind of crap I'm talking about.  This is lame.

As to you first point, stop it.  Phony argument by you.  Its a rock album.  On an internet forum about said rock band, a conversation about the next album is the very definition of on topic.  No one is staying up nights or putting themselves in the hospital because its not out.  But, when the topic of the band comes up, so does a new album.

As to the second point, why not just let us worry about that, hmmm?  Not a huge fan of arguments where you, the band, or anyone else plays fortune teller and tells us what we'd do and how we'd act.  Just put the thing out.  Let us worry about how we handle it. No band in the history of time has seriously argued they can't put an album out because then people will ask for the next one 10 minutes later.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:25:18 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »

As to you first point, stop it.  Phony argument by you.  Its a rock album.  On an internet forum about said rock band, a conversation about the next album is the very definition of on topic.  No one is staying up nights or putting themselves in the hospital because its not out.  But, when the topic of the band comes up, so does a new album.

As to the second point, why not just let us worry about that, hmmm?  Not a huge fan of arguments where you, the band, or anyone else plays fortune teller and tells us what we'd do and how we'd act.  Just put the thing out.  Let us worry about how we handle it. No band in the history of time has seriously argued they can't put an album out because then people will ask for the next one 10 minutes later.

Agreed completely

and you know what in this instance... none of us were complaining or pining for anything...just reacting to Richards quote. Jarmo just jumped in and started with us that no matter what they do we will complain... we weren't complaining, in fact So Fine was just respectfully asking him if he knows anything about plans...

but like I said and many have said... if not a new record... what is the point and what are we supposed to discuss?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »

Really, we're here discussing the next album in a thread about how a band member discussed the next album...and shocker...personal attacks about how the next album is all we can talk about, and how its the only thing that can make our lives better.  Unreal.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »

Why do you need to get so extreme almost every time somebody brings up a point? There's no middle?

Is that your "best" answer to everything? Take things to the extreme in order to try to ridicule? It's not working.

There's certain issues that certain fans "love" to obsess over. Maybe obsess isn't the best word for it. Anyway. Some like to go on and on about how/when the album will be out and how much it means to them and/or how important it is for the band to release it. It's great that there's interest, no doubt about it. But at some point, without any new info, the same "we need a new album" posts are as fresh as the "it's the same setlist" comments made by others with a different "obsession".

I don't need to "worry" about how you or anyone else will react. We all know.  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »

Why do you need to get so extreme almost every time somebody brings up a point? There's no middle?

Of a phony and ridiculous argument?  No.

No one ever, ever, ever has said they need a new GNR album to "make their lives better".  Yet that's a direct quote by you upthread and not the first time you've put that forth either.

And its preposterous.

When I am at happy hour after work and my friends ask me what's new, is there even a 1% chance I will respond "Well, I still have no new Guns n' Roses album, so...obviously that's weighing on my mind." 

Is that real world?  Not in the slightest.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »

Jarmo, can I ask you an honest question?  Why do you make it your staunch business to care so much about what's important to other fans?  Why does it matter so much to you? Keep in mind, no one was even "complaining" in this thread, just voicing their opinions about the next album and what it could be.

At the end of the day, I just don't understand how if a new album or changing up the setlist (something I personally could give a shit about) is a priority for other fans, how it is ruining your experience as a fan and owner of this website.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »

It's an impression I get from some people.
It's my opinion! Your opinion is that mostly everything sucks and that La Paz is at high altitude but it's like a hot day in Miami.  Tongue

I believe that people who feel they are "owed" things from an artist seem to believe that whatever they are owed will fill some kind of void in their lives. That's my opinion. People who "need" new music, "need" to meet their idol and so on. Why does somebody need something? If you need water, you're thirsty. Drinking water will make your thirst go away. In the same way, wouldn't these other kinds of so called needs make something else go away? To fill a void?

Maybe some people are bad at using words and they use the wrong ones. I don't know. Maybe what they mean is "want" and not "need".

Jarmo, can I ask you an honest question?  Why do you make it your staunch business to care so much about what's important to other fans?  Why does it matter so much to you? Keep in mind, no one was even "complaining" in this thread, just voicing their opinions about the next album and what it could be.

At the end of the day, I just don't understand how if a new album or changing up the setlist (something I personally could give a shit about) is a priority for other fans, how it is ruining your experience as a fan and owner of this website.

I really don't give a fuck what's important to you or certain others. Sorry.

I comment on things I see/read. It's a message board. Why is it a problem that I post my point of view? This always comes up as soon as I try to get some answers. "Why do you....?". It's like you guys should be allowed to say anything that comes to your minds, but if I dare to question what you're saying or ask for some kind of clarifications, you starts questioning me!

/jarmo

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:10 PM »

Maybe they would be better served by saying -- We plan to continue to tour, write on our own, and hopefully get in the studio some day soon.

This seems to raise false expectations.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »

I comment on things I see/read. It's a message board. Why is it a problem that I post my point of view? This always comes up as soon as I try to get some answers. "Why do you....?". It's like you guys should be allowed to say anything that comes to your minds, but if I dare to question what you're saying or ask for some kind of clarifications, you starts questioning me!

Some truth here, to be fair.  But what's the root cause there?

But, and be honest, compare the way you talk to some of us with the way we talk to you.  I'm talking about unprompted shots and lecturing.  Do you feel people come at you with that stuff?  I do not.

It kind of gets back to what I was saying how you, directly or indirectly, derail a lot of these conversation with your scolding and projecting ridiculous scenarios onto us that have never once been supported by anything real world.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: