Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 10:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Frank on The Classic Metal Show tonight (Sat 1/25)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frank on The Classic Metal Show tonight (Sat 1/25)  (Read 12345 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: January 25, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »

Frank Ferrer via The Classic Metal Show:
Who's ready for the CMS tonight? The weather's all kinds of fucked up, but we have a pretty hot show coming live! Frank Ferrer from Guns N' Roses and Anthony Esposito from Ace Frehley's band will be stopping by early! Plus all our usual stuff.

Let's see some of you that are snowed in tonight in the chatroom - www.chatandkill.com

http://www.theclassicmetalshow.com/

THE CLASSIC METAL SHOW can be heard live on Saturdays from 9pm-3am EST, and in rebroadcast Sundays from 11am-5pm EST and Mondays from 9am-3pm EST exclusively on the CMS RADIO NETWORK!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »

Wow.  I really enjoyed listening to that.  Youze gotta catch this on the replay or their podcast thing.  They asked Frank really good GNR questions and about his other band, Pisser.

Frank went on 2 hours into the show.  Gave great answers to what could have easily been an awkward situation.  Love his take on 'what makes a band'.  Frank came across as genuine and fun.

One of the best interviews I've heard.   ok

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Princess Leia
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 03:45:07 AM »

Wow.  I really enjoyed listening to that.  Youze gotta catch this on the replay or their podcast thing.  They asked Frank really good GNR questions and about his other band, Pisser.

Frank went on 2 hours into the show.  Gave great answers to what could have easily been an awkward situation.  Love his take on 'what makes a band'.  Frank came across as genuine and fun.

Sorry I missed it. Could you please be specific about the Q&A with Frank? Did he say something about the upcoming tour or the album? Do you have transcrips of the interview?

Thanks
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 04:29:04 AM »

Great to see Frank interviewed individually for a change. I think he's an amazing person, who Axl is very lucky to have on board. I hope Frank continues to do more things like this that establish him in his own right.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »

Fond this through their web site: http://www.spreaker.com/user/cmsrocks

Click Episodes and scroll down.

Here's the direct link: http://www.spreaker.com/user/cmsrocks/interview-with-gnrs-frank-ferrer

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 01:01:41 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Princess Leia
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 04:39:09 PM »

Thanks. I got it surffin?around the website. Frank really seem like a cool and funny guy. He should be giving interviews more often. The thing is this interview is more about his other band Pisser than GN?R.

It was interesting when he said that GN?R is not chaotic but not very normal either. And the funny way he answer the question about the new album. Well it was funny for me. But some other people may not find it funny at all

Undecided

Frank has a lot of respect for the past as well as the present band
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 05:16:44 PM »

Sorry I missed it. Could you please be specific about the Q&A with Frank? Did he say something about the upcoming tour or the album? Do you have transcrips of the interview?

Thanks

It's only about 20 minutes so you should check it out.  If you want the cliff notes, here goes.  There were not any real details revealed or discussed regarding GnR (shocker)...the interview mainly focused on his side project, Pisser, which he said he felt more comfortable in, and felt more like a "professional musician" in Guns (his words not mine).  Did anyone else think that was a bit odd/telling?  He laughed off a question about a new Guns album, and noted that GnR "pays the bills" (his words, not mine).
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »

What's odd? That playing in GN'R makes him feel more like a professional musician than playing in Pisser?
That people attending shows by said bands expect different things and hence makes it a different kind of thing?

/jarmo

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »

It's only about 20 minutes so you should check it out.  If you want the cliff notes, here goes.  There were not any real details revealed or discussed regarding GnR (shocker)...the interview mainly focused on his side project, Pisser, which he said he felt more comfortable in, and felt more like a "professional musician" in Guns (his words not mine).  Did anyone else think that was a bit odd/telling?  He laughed off a question about a new Guns album, and noted that GnR "pays the bills" (his words, not mine).

IMO, Ginger King's 'cliff notes' is exactly why people need to hear this interview themselves.

Yes, Frank did used the words "professional musician" and "pays the bills" BUT when you hear him say them within the context of the questions asked and answered, those words take on an entirely different meaning.

The "professional musician" answer was to a question about the difference between playing in a band like Pisser compared to playing in GNR.  Frank was basically saying it's like comparing apples and oranges (my words, not his).  What he did say was something to the effect of Pisser is a more small club personal feeling compared to being in GNR where Axl is the obvious main focus to the fans/media/etc and sees his role is to bring his top "professional" mindset/skills that will accentuate the high quality expected of Axl/GNR at every show, whether festival crowd or intimate club size.  (You seriously have to hear him say it himself.)

As for the "pays the bills" comment, if I'm remembering correctly, he was saying at present he's only doing a few Pisser shows a year when GNR is on hiatus.  Currently, his main income is from being a member of GNR.  (Again, you really need to hear him say it himself.)

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »

IMO, Ginger King's 'cliff notes' is exactly why people need to hear this interview themselves.

Yes, Frank did used the words "professional musician" and "pays the bills" BUT when you hear him say them within the context of the questions asked and answered, those words take on an entirely different meaning.

The "professional musician" answer was to a question about the difference between playing in a band like Pisser compared to playing in GNR.  Frank was basically saying it's like comparing apples and oranges (my words, not his).  What he did say was something to the effect of Pisser is a more small club personal feeling compared to being in GNR where Axl is the obvious main focus to the fans/media/etc and sees his role is to bring his top "professional" mindset/skills that will accentuate the high quality expected of Axl/GNR at every show, whether festival crowd or intimate club size.  (You seriously have to hear him say it himself.)

As for the "pays the bills" comment, if I'm remembering correctly, he was saying at present he's only doing a few Pisser shows a year when GNR is on hiatus.  Currently, his main income is from being a member of GNR.  (Again, you really need to hear him say it himself.)

I think I did recommend that everyone check it out for themselves.  I'm just telling you my thoughts about it.  Regarding the "professional musician" comment, he said he loves playing in Pisser because the music comes from the heart, and he's great friends with all the band members.  Then, with Guns, he's more of a professional musician, meaning a hired hand, IMO.  The vibe I got was a a guy that plays Guns n Roses, but not because he loves it, but because it "pays the bills" so he can do the things he truly enjoys.

I also found it odd that he described the current state of Guns as "edgy" (his words not mine) to explain why things are never easy.  I don't think there's anything edgy about this band today, or that that's the reason for the band's inability to release new music, communicate with fans, etc.

Clerarly, you have a different opinion of the interview than me.  Congrats.  I don't think I'm the only one with this opinon (maybe I am).  BTW, Frank seems like a good dude...I just think his heart's in something else besides Guns.   
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »

Your not the only one with that opinion.   I would say most people around this place pretty much know most GNR members are doing this for the paycheck.  If I had to guess....I would say Tommy, Frank, Chris, Dizzy, and Richard.  I would say Bumble is on his way out, and DJ is still in that stage where everything is new and he actually thinks he can influence someone. 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 06:03:04 AM »

Nice to hear something from Frank for the first time in a long time (my words not his)

good interview.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »

Your not the only one with that opinion.   I would say most people around this place pretty much know most GNR members are doing this for the paycheck. 

That's amusing.

A professional musician wants to make a living on performing music? Who knew!

Frank was very respectful to everybody involved, past and present, with GN'R.
Yet it seems like it's very difficult for some of you to show any kind of respect to the current members of the band....

/jarmo

Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »

Your not the only one with that opinion.   I would say most people around this place pretty much know most GNR members are doing this for the paycheck. 

That's amusing.

Yet it seems like it's very difficult for some of you to show any kind of respect to the current members of the band....

/jarmo

Woah, who's being disrespectful to Frank?  I said he sounded like a good dude, and I agree he was very respectful about the history of guns and prior band members.  What I got from the interview was a guy who wasn't very passionate about playing in GnR...a guy who was hired to help Axl succeed, to "take the pressure off" Axl (his words, not mine).  IMO, he seemed resigned that he's in a band that plays GnR, and not in a band that is making GnR music.  How many songs have been written since Frank joined the band almost 8 years ago? 

Also, do you think it's a coincidence that every member in GnR (sans Axl) has a side project where they create and release new music?  Christ, even Pittman's in another band.  Do you find that to be a strange coincidence?  Sure, other bands have members that have side projects...but all of them?  To me, it's an indication that these guys know that if they want to write, create, release music, it has to be done elsewhere.  I'm sure you (and the Gypsy) have a different take.   
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »

I don't exactly expect you to say anything even remotely nice about Frank or anybody else in the band, so.. Good job.  ok

He's not passionate about playing in GN'R? I guess if you're looking for something like that, you will find it.
The fact that he loves to play the songs seems to mean nothing....

How did his lack of passion manifest itself at the show you saw last year? Did you notice it during the show? Did it bother you during the show?
If you can tell that by this interview, I'm sure you can tell during a show too right?

He was hired to take the pressure of Axl? I thought he was in the band to play drums....

Why is everything so negative? Yes, the spotlight is on Axl. Everybody knows that. There's nothing weird about that. The fact that Frank mentioned how the rest of the band are there to support him, since he's the one with all the pressure/expectations/responsibility, doesn't it make it something negative.

No, it's not weird to have a side project. Duff McKagan released a solo album in 1993. Wink

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:27:41 PM by jarmo » Logged

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »

That's amusing.

/jarmo

Woah, who's being disrespectful to Frank?  I said he sounded like a good dude, and I agree he was very respectful about the history of guns and prior band members.  What I got from the interview was a guy who wasn't very passionate about playing in GnR...a guy who was hired to help Axl succeed, to "take the pressure off" Axl (his words, not mine).  IMO, he seemed resigned that he's in a band that plays GnR, and not in a band that is making GnR music.  How many songs have been written since Frank joined the band almost 8 years ago? 

Also, do you think it's a coincidence that every member in GnR (sans Axl) has a side project where they create and release new music?  Christ, even Pittman's in another band.  Do you find that to be a strange coincidence?  Sure, other bands have members that have side projects...but all of them?  To me, it's an indication that these guys know that if they want to write, create, release music, it has to be done elsewhere.  I'm sure you (and the Gypsy) have a different take.   

I, for one, have a different take.  I think that artists can have different creative and/or stylistic leanings, and that can be the reason for having multiple projects.  Perhaps an artist prefers a more low key side project, like Pisser, because it doesn't have the questions and pressures of the more high profile primary project?

It may not be that a side project exists for the sole purpose of having a creative outlet that otherwise wouldn't be afforded.

Ali
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »

I don't exactly expect you to say anything even remotely nice about Frank or anybody else in the band, so.. Good job.  ok

He's not passionate about playing in GN'R? I guess if you're looking for something like that, you will find it.
The fact that he loves to play the songs seems to mean nothing....

How did his lack of passion manifest itself at the show you saw last year? Did you notice it during the show? Did it bother you during the show?
If you can tell that by this interview, I'm sure you can tell during a show too right?

He was hired to take the pressure of Axl? I thought he was in the band to play drums....

Why is everything so negative? Yes, the spotlight is on Axl. Everybody knows that. There's nothing weird about that. The fact that Frank mentioned how the rest of the band are there to support him, since he's the one with all the pressure/expectations/responsibility, doesn't it make it something negative.

No, it's not weird to have a side project. Duff McKagan released a solo album in 1993. Wink

/jarmo

See, that's the problem discussing things with you...everything is either black or white.  You're either (a) a fan, in which case everything is always on the up and up, every decision the band makes is the right one, and anything that goes wrong is not the fault of the band, which is 100% right, 100% of the time; or (b) a whining, complaining, perpetually unhappy person that doesn't respect the new lineup (and probably still holding out for a reunion).  Sorry, but we all don't fit in that nicely.

Just because I think Frank has more passion for his side project (he did say playing in Pisser comes from a place of love) doesn't mean I think he's a bad drummer.  I never said (or implied) that, but to you, because my take on his interview left me with some questions, it must mean that I don't respect him or his contributions to Guns.  Not true.  Last year, I saw Guns (several times, in fact) and enjoyed each show.  Clearly, Frank (and all the other members), can play, and play well.  They are professional musicians.

Just as you think that touring (even with no new music) is better than nothing, I think you can be a fan of a band (in this case GnR is my favorite band [sidenote: since I'm posting on a fan internet forum it would be weird if they weren't]) and still question, make informed decisions, and yes, sometimes disagree with the direction of the band, its management, and the decision of its members.

Yes, I am aware of Duff's solo album in 1993...I just think that, when you have an 8 member band, and 7 of them are actively in other bands, to me that's a hindrance to writing and releasing new music.  With everyone off writing and creating music in side projects, plus touring demands, there's only so much time in the day and, well, where do we go?   

Anyway, I'm not (and I don't think many of us here are) on Team Always Negative.  I'm certainly not on Team Spoon Fed, but don't take that as an indication that I want the current lineup to fail and/or don't respect them.  I really hope this band succeeds, I'm just not going to suspend independent thought in the process. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »

No, no, no... We're not talking about his drumming abilities.

We're talking about the fact that he gave an interview and basically the only things you got out of it is that he has no passion for GN'R or that he's only there to support Axl.
In my opinion, that is a pretty bleak view of the person and what he said.

/jarmo

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »

"The fact that he loves playing the songs means nothing."

Did he use those words in the interview?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »

No, no, no... We're not talking about his drumming abilities.

We're talking about the fact that he gave an interview and basically the only things you got out of it is that he has no passion for GN'R or that he's only there to support Axl.
In my opinion, that is a pretty bleak view of the person and what he said.

/jarmo

I didn't say no passion for Guns...I did say he has more passion for Pisser.  That's not searching for the negative (or even negative at all) and one can reasonably surmise that from the interview.  The other comment, that the members of Guns are there to support Axl and take the pressure off of him, are things he said, so I'm not clear how my obvservation of his comments paints a bleak view of him.   
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: