Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:18:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is Interscope/Geffen Blocking The Next Album's Release?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Interscope/Geffen Blocking The Next Album's Release?  (Read 63508 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #260 on: January 29, 2014, 11:02:46 AM »

That's a good point.  Those leaks were getting radio airplay in some places.

I had friends asking me for copies.

IRS made the friggin' charts when it first leaked in early 2006.  I still think that should've been the first single out of the gates.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »

Axl's reluctance to doing promotion has to be seen in context with the very combative relationship he has with mainstream media.  Rather than an avenue for promoting his work, he feels mainstream media uses his name to sell themselves, while often taking cheap shots at him... which then could result in a negative commercial impact.  Can't say I blame him because there's a track record for that with him. 
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »

The media loves to find the "next big thing" they can hype. Only to bring them down as soon as possible. Repeat cycle.

Even though they might be writing sensationalist garbage about you, you (the artist) are supposed to play along and be nice. Grant them interviews, give them tickets to review shows, let them take photos, take part in their events and so on.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »

Axl's reluctance to doing promotion has to be seen in context with the very combative relationship he has with mainstream media.  Rather than an avenue for promoting his work, he feels mainstream media uses his name to sell themselves, while often taking cheap shots at him... which then could result in a negative commercial impact.  Can't say I blame him because there's a track record for that with him. 

And...well...he has some reason to feel that way.  Not that, maybe, he hasn't given the press good fodder, or he hasn't antagonized them, too...but it's another chicken/egg argument.  From his POV...I sorta get it.  We know Axl's not a big fan of associating with people he thinks have treated (or might treat him) badly.

Also, he DID do some press for the Vegas Residency....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:00:49 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »

The media loves to find the "next big thing" they can hype. Only to bring them down as soon as possible. Repeat cycle.

Even though they might be writing sensationalist garbage about you, you (the artist) are supposed to play along and be nice. Grant them interviews, give them tickets to review shows, let them take photos, take part in their events and so on.

/jarmo

I'm friends with the monster that's under my bed,
Get along with the voices inside of my head
You're trying to save me...
Stop holding your breath....

Mr. Mathers really nails the whole press/fame pressure for an artist in that song.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »

/jarmo

Mr. Mathers really nails the whole press/fame pressure for an artist in that song.

Axl, Eminem, Halle berry whoever it is....

they complain about the intrusiveness of the media, paparazzi, journalists whoever...

but they still want the public to buy up their stuff.... so really...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »

/jarmo

they complain about the intrusiveness of the media, paparazzi, journalists whoever...

Yeah, I mean...that's the point of the song.  The struggle between wanting to be creative, and share that creation, and having to deal with all the "other stuff" that goes along with it.

I get it...nobody on the outside is going to feel "bad" for the uber rich artist who gets paid to make music.  And that's part of his point, too.  He knows he's not going to get any sympathy.

But, to HIM, all that stuff is stuff he has to deal with, not stuff he likes.  He'd rather be known for his creative product, but not be a CELEBRITY.  The problem is...it's part and parcel...and he knows it, but still struggles with it.

I gotta tell you...I'm NOT a huge rap fan.  Definitely not a huge Eminem fan. But that song might be one of the best creative products I've heard from an artist in awhile.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:29 PM »

/jarmo

Yeah, I mean...that's the point of the song.  The struggle between wanting to be creative, and share that creation, and having to deal with all the "other stuff" that goes along with it.

I get it...nobody on the outside is going to feel "bad" for the uber rich artist who gets paid to make music.  And that's part of his point, too.  He knows he's not going to get any sympathy.

But, to HIM, all that stuff is stuff he has to deal with, not stuff he likes.  He'd rather be known for his creative product, but not be a CELEBRITY.  The problem is...it's part and parcel...and he knows it, but still struggles with it.

I gotta tell you...I'm NOT a huge rap fan.  Definitely not a huge Eminem fan. But that song might be one of the best creative products I've heard from an artist in awhile.

It certainly is catchy too

I agree with all you said

Not even that nobody is going to feel bad for a rich famous guy... its just if ur in that spot.. you gotta take the good with the bad...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »

^ If you recall how GNR was portrayed in the media in the early 90s, there was very little good that came with the bad.  All major rock media (MTV, Rolling Stone, SPIN) were building up Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc., while holding up the antithesis GNR as the uncool, lame, out of fashion relic of 80s rock.

I took a lot of shit for being a diehard back then.   hihi  Anyway, I'm sure that period has completely changed Axl's perception of the media; with him, this goes well beyond dealing with some loss of privacy in exchange for better commercial visibility. 

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »

That's a good point.  Those leaks were getting radio airplay in some places.

I had friends asking me for copies.

IRS made the friggin' charts when it first leaked in early 2006.  I still think that should've been the first single out of the gates.

I love that song.

And I agree about it being the first single.  It wasn't all that big a departure from the older stuff, and actually has a chorus.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #270 on: January 29, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »

Bit of a self fulfilling prophecy though.  Axl seems to relish that antagonistic relationship, almost.  It fits his whole victim mentality.

What has he really done to mend any fences?  He calls up Rolling Stone and offers them an interview, he's on the cover the next week.  Is that in dispute?  They'd love to ave him.  And the feature is hardly going to be a hit piece.  Provided he does it properly.

But would he?  Obviously not, because he's not even making the call.  But even if he did, he would likely set parameters about things he can and cannot be asked about.  Then he no shows the interview.  Reschedules, and then shows up 3 hours late.  Then, after all that, laments how he just can't get a break from these people.

Life is what you make it.  Axl Rose makes his very, very hard on himself. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #271 on: January 29, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »

/jarmo

And we do think he's crazy, crazy...and yes, that's fair.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »

Bit of a self fulfilling prophecy though.  Axl seems to relish that antagonistic relationship, almost.  It fits his whole victim mentality.

What has he really done to mend any fences?  He calls up Rolling Stone and offers them an interview, he's on the cover the next week.  Is that in dispute?  They'd love to ave him.  And the feature is hardly going to be a hit piece.  Provided he does it properly.

But would he?  Obviously not, because he's not even making the call.  But even if he did, he would likely set parameters about things he can and cannot be asked about.  Then he no shows the interview.  Reschedules, and then shows up 3 hours late.  Then, after all that, laments how he just can't get a break from these people.

Life is what you make it.  Axl Rose makes his very, very hard on himself. 

My concern is that this is also his mindset towards releasing new music and dealing with the label.  Like because of past "wrongs" these things are over before they began, and are never even given the chance to work...or not work. 

At some point you need to let go and come what may.  Otherwise, all we're going to see from Axl going forward is an aging man who tours sporadically and not much else.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:39:02 PM by sofine11 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »

My concern is that this is also his mindset towards releasing new music and dealing with the label.  Like because of past "wrongs" these things are over before they began, and are never even given the chance to work...or not work. 

At some point you need to let go and come what may.  Otherwise, all we're going to see from Axl going forward is an aging man who tours sporadically and not much else.

Agreed.

As for letting go, that's seems pretty much impossible.  This is a guy that talks about Slash in such raw emotional terms, you would think that shit happened yesterday afternoon, not 20 god damn years ago.

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:29 PM »

Agreed.

As for letting go, that's seems pretty much impossible.  This is a guy that talks about Slash in such raw emotional terms, you would think that shit happened yesterday afternoon, not 20 god damn years ago.

Bingo.  I think this inability to let go of past grudges (real or perceived) is the main thing blocking the next release.  That, and Jarmo's blind faith (I kid, I kid).  But seriously, I think, even if Interscope came to him and said "let's let bygones be bygones and we're here to help you release the next album" that would be interpreted by him as disingenuous, that there's some hidden agenda and some angle by the record company to screw him over. 

It was mentioned earlier that Axl is a genius...personally I'm not ready to buy that.  Sure, he has some reclusive/odd, Howard Hughes-esque type qualities, and his quest for perfection on CD is well-documented, but I'm not ready to put him at the Einstein table yet.  Sadly, I think he's a tortured soul, and, despite having luxuries that you and I will never see, bitter and angry.  I think he wants the next album to suceed, but probably knows that it will be about as well received (if not less) than CD, which he's still pissed off about and blames the record company for poorly promoting/not properly supporting that release.  This just furthers the the anger and bitterness, and continues the cycle of distrust. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #275 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »

So labeling a person based on whatever feelings he may have towards events in his life as bitter is ok... But if somebody dares to say the same about people whose only emotional investment in the events is that it's a page in the history of their favorite band, it's not ok.

At the end of the day, nobody here asked Axl what his feelings towards the record company is.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »

So labeling a person based on whatever feelings he may have towards events in his life as bitter is ok... But if somebody dares to say the same about people whose only emotional investment in the events is that it's a page in the history of their favorite band, it's not ok.

At the end of the day, nobody here asked Axl what his feelings towards the record company is.

/jarmo

I am with you Jarmo on this one ... I may not like it, but Axl the right to feel any way he wants towards whoever.

to Dx's point... I do think its true that his feelings of anger toward how the last record was handled all around do hinder future success

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #277 on: January 30, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »

You honestly think that if Universal Music said "Ok, we won't make the same mistakes again. Here's our marketing plan, what do you think?", he would just ignore it because of the events of 2008?

/jarmo

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #278 on: January 30, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »

You honestly think that if Universal Music said "Ok, we won't make the same mistakes again. Here's our marketing plan, what do you think?", he would just ignore it because of the events of 2008?

/jarmo

I think it's possible, yeah.  I think the distrust runs deep, and goes back years (decades, even).  I think he'll always harbor some healthy skepticism. 

And, I'm not attacking him for feeling this way (if in fact he does).  To a large extent, the record label (and the media) has unfairly portrayed him over the years...they certainly haven't gone out of their way to embrace the new lineup.  So yes, if all of a sudden Universal does an about face and says "hey Axl, we really like this DJ fellow, and Bubble's fretless double-guitar is awesome, let us show you how we can help you"  I think that is met with some dose of hesitancy, kind of like "we're from the government and here to help" is.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #279 on: January 30, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »

/jarmo

I think...and this is just my humble opinion...Axl would say something like "Great, lets put it in writing".  And take it from there.

I think Axl would respond with a healthy, and perhaps warrented, dose of skepticism...but I don't think it would be parallyzing.  I just think he would be slow, cautious, and make sure that he was covering his ass through the process so there was no chance for him to get screwed over, in his POV, again.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: