Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 06:51:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is Interscope/Geffen Blocking The Next Album's Release?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Interscope/Geffen Blocking The Next Album's Release?  (Read 63698 times)
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »

You can be creative without releasing the output. If a painter doesn't sell or display a single painting, (s)he's not creative?

You can be upset about there not being more material for you to "enjoy", that's fine. And most of us get it. Some of us were there ten years ago when people were doing the same thing....But please be careful what kind of generalizations you make.

/jarmo

Huh  Uhhh No, (s)he is not.

Who gives a person the label of being creative?  Themselves?  No, its the people who view/listen to that persons work.  If there isn't output, then there is nothing to view or listen to.  And you can't label someone as being creative when there is nothing.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:53 PM »

You can be creative without releasing the output. If a painter doesn't sell or display a single painting, (s)he's not creative?

You can be upset about there not being more material for you to "enjoy", that's fine. And most of us get it. Some of us were there ten years ago when people were doing the same thing....But please be careful what kind of generalizations you make.

/jarmo

Who gives a person the label of being creative?  Themselves?  No, its the people who view/listen to that persons work.  If there isn't output, then there is nothing to view or listen to.  And you can't label someone as being creative when there is nothing.

I agree, you're reaching here Jarmo. We're supposed to hang our admiration on something we're not sure that even exists?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2014, 08:37:07 PM »

/jarmo

I agree, you're reaching here Jarmo. We're supposed to hang our admiration on something we're not sure that even exists?
IMO, no.  But, the issue is not admiration or lack thereof.  The creative process and the decision to release something for commercial purposes are not one and the same. 

There's a difference between there actually being no creative output and you not having heard or seen said creative output.

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »

/jarmo

IMO, no.  But, the issue is not admiration or lack thereof.  The creative process and the decision to release something for commercial purposes are not one and the same. 

There's a difference between there actually being no creative output and you not having heard or seen said creative output.

Ali

But couldn't you make the exact same argument in the reverse direction. It's hard to assume something exists that I haven't seen or heard.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:35 PM »

Wow. We're getting so deep here. And not all of us feel like swimming.

"It's hard to assume something exists that I haven't seen or heard.". I can say the same thing about God and religion.

"If a painter doesn't sell or display a single painting, (s)he's not creative?". So, by this philosophical query, if Axl falls in a forest, does he make an album?

Why hasn't the label dropped Guns N' Roses? So many bands and artists over time have been dropped for one reason or another, for MUCH LESS. Is it because the past catalog is more valuable? Is the label trying to recoup form Chinese Democracy before doing one more thing going forward? By looking at history, for what CD has become, what is still binding Guns to the label? With technology being what it is, there's so many avenues to release something. ANYTHING. That is, unless there's some contractual obligation, or something, or MANY things that have basically grinded things to an absolute dead calm.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »

We're fans. There's a give and take. To say that we should admire the fact that Axl may or may not be "creative" when he sits alone in his house is a moot point.

This is the GNR fan equivalent to asking "If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound?"  My answer would be, as far as Axl's concerned, I could give a shit.  I just want a new album already.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »

Wow. We're getting so deep here. And not all of us feel like swimming.

"It's hard to assume something exists that I haven't seen or heard.". I can say the same thing about God and religion.

"If a painter doesn't sell or display a single painting, (s)he's not creative?". So, by this philosophical query, if Axl falls in a forest, does he make an album?

Hahahaha.

What I think sometimes gets lost here is that we are just speculating based the next to nothing he gives us.  But none of us are testifying in court here.  No need to get backs up, either way.

Nothing can be proven or disproven until he shows us something.  If he actually did release another album, we can judge that on its merits, whatever they may be.

But "he's on the job, don't you worry about the lack of product to find out"?  Nah, be serious.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2014, 11:06:36 PM »

/jarmo

Ali

But couldn't you make the exact same argument in the reverse direction. It's hard to assume something exists that I haven't seen or heard.

Except for the fact that there are people who have heard the work, in this case anyone in the band, Marco Beltrami, Sebastian Bach and many others.

I'm not of the opinion that because I haven't heard a song, even though others have, it doesn't exist.  That would be tantamount to saying those that have claimed to heard said song are lying, and I have no reason to say that.

Ali
spgunner
Headliner

We begin by coveting what we see every day-Lecter

« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2014, 05:55:00 AM »

Maybe one day we will have a new album. Maybe one day (if we do have a new album) we know what happened until its release. For now, there's no album. Well, there's one hell of an album we waited for so many long years. So let's enjoy what we have instead of bitching on what we don't have. In the end, it's Axl decision. Of course I wanted a new album for tomorrow but I'm very ok if there's a new album in 5 years or 10. Or maybe never. What's good for Axl is good for me, that's how I see it - it's about respect - if for whatever reasons it takes too long to be released or its never released, nobody can force him to do it and after so many years of joy this band has giving me, the last thing I would do is to demand or try to force something on a person who gave me so much and helped me so much through his songs and interviews over the years. And I see it this way not only as regards Axl but as regards other bands and artists. They don't owe one damn thing to the fans. If and when they decide to release something, it's up to you and me and everybody else to decide if we want to get inside that new trip of that band / artist OR not. No one is forced to be here or to "wait". Because if you're waiting, it's useless.
I do hope for the best that everything happens the way Axl wants. We all know (for the little we know) that many things didn't happen the way it was supposed to be when CD was released so if there's a new album in the future years ahead, hopefully it happens the right way. 

Sao Paulo.12.10 n'12
Rio III.01.14
Brasilia.03.07
BH.03.10
SP.03.13
Rio.04.04
Rio IV.10.02
Buenos Aires.10.08
Asuncion.10.15
BH.03.22
SP.03.28
Curitiba.03.30
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2014, 07:43:05 AM »

Everybody involved has talked about there being things we haven't heard. Things exist.

Why do some of you want a new GN'R album so bad? Did you like Chinese Democracy? I'm curious what kind of expectations some of you have.
Do you still listen to Chinese Democracy regularly?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:34:43 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »

Except for the fact that there are people who have heard the work, in this case anyone in the band, Marco Beltrami, Sebastian Bach and many others.

I'm not of the opinion that because I haven't heard a song, even though others have, it doesn't exist.  That would be tantamount to saying those that have claimed to heard said song are lying, and I have no reason to say that.

Wait, you are saying one his close friends and a guy he hired came back with good reviews?  The hell you say.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »

Why do some of you want a new GN'R album so bad? Did you like Chinese Democracy? I'm curious what kind of expectations some of you have.

Wow, this is a serious question?  Why do we want a new album from our favorite band?  Really?

And you think this concept is somehow exclusive to Guns N' Roses fans?  Do other band's fans sit around and say "Tell you what we don't need, and that's a new album.  That's the last thing we want.  No thank you."

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2014, 09:08:13 AM »

Everybody involved has talked about there being things we haven't heard. Things exist.

/jarmo

In short, because I love Chinese Democracy and the thought of another album along those lines is seriously badass. The fact that it exists, with great songs meant for the follow up album, yet for whatever reason Axl won't put it out is pretty frustrating.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »

Axl is most everyone at this site's favorite singer ever, if not favorite artist overall.

If you are still riding with him in 2014, then you like what he's doing.  You liked the last album. 

The only logical opinion is to want the next one after 5 long years pass.  This is not some radical stance.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2014, 09:45:12 AM »

Wow, this is a serious question?  Why do we want a new album from our favorite band?  Really?

Oh, so it is your favorite band.
Sometimes it's easy to get confused.  Cheesy

In short, because I love Chinese Democracy and the thought of another album along those lines is seriously badass. The fact that it exists, with great songs meant for the follow up album, yet for whatever reason Axl won't put it out is pretty frustrating.

Got it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »

To ask any fan still with Axl in 2014 (after ONE album between 1993 and 2014) why they want a new album means that you are not an actual fan of the music. If you don't understand why then you have nothing in common with a real fan.

It's hard to reconcile that comment with any form of credibility in the real world.

Fact is he took the reigns and made one album.....that's it. Spin and speculate all you want. He released one album.

But, but , but....... Seb "Sorry is doom metal' Bach says Axl is 'prolific'. To attack the fans is disgusting. It's a real shoot the messenger story.The fans are an easy target for remembering the story of boy who cried wolf, we can't all just toe the line. Some of us have rational faculties.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:54:17 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »

It's a valid question. Some fans who "needed" Chinese Democracy to make their lives better forgot about the album pretty soon because it turned out it wasn't what they "wanted".

Some fans seem to be fans of a GN'R that doesn't exist. "I'm a fan... But I don't like this, this, this, this and that about the band". It's just somewhat puzzling how many things you don't like about a band and yet you're still a fan.

Then you have fans who rarely, if ever, manage to say anything nice about the band. But they want a new album.....

/jarmo

snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:17 AM »

/jarmo

Actually, at this point, and for the past few years, I don't want a new album, at least under the terms of releasing it on a major label, at all. If GNR was free from any contractual point with a label, and can do things on their own terms, that would be a better album, no matter what the song qualities are. Is it me, or are most parts just toxic or comatose by this point?

Did I like the album, yes. Did I love the album, no. Looking back, you know what I really liked? The legend of the album of Chinese Democracy. Regardless of whatever artistic direction Chinese Democracy was taking, I was all for the ride in the 00s. But to me, the legend of what it was outstretched the creative result that the album was.

No, have not listened to it in god knows how long (let's say at least a year). I've just not found the mood to listen to it again, and that's just me. I mean that as a compliment. It's a well produced album, with some very decent songs. But it's fallen down the list, and not for a bunch of new stuff.

Chinese Democracy is a fan's album, not a general, everyday music fan album. The Chinese Democracy legend before and afterwards envelopes it almost to a point that it (the album) cannot breathe on it's own. And from a business perspective (the next album, the DVD, the barnstorming tour dates), forgive me for asking, but....where do we go.....ok, my sincere apologies for that.

So going by the above, this may not seem like the popular vote. But at least it's honest.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:50 AM »

Well, in defense of the rabble rousing complainers, we don't all get to go on tour with them.  Not really an apples to apples situation, you know?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2014, 10:18:23 AM »

To ask any fan still with Axl in 2014 (after ONE album between 1993 and 2014) why they want a new album means that you are not an actual fan of the music. If you don't understand why then you have nothing in common with a real fan.

It's hard to reconcile that comment with any form of credibility in the real world.

Fact is he took the reigns and made one album.....that's it. Spin and speculate all you want. He released one album.

But, but , but....... Seb "Sorry is doom metal' Bach says Axl is 'prolific'. To attack the fans is disgusting. It's a real shoot the messenger story.The fans are an easy target for remembering the story of boy who cried wolf, we can't all just toe the line. Some of us have rational faculties.

Very well said.

I sometimes wonder if its being suggested we'd prefer complaining over nothing happening than having a competent operation to follow.  Like this shit show is our preference on how things should run.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: