Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 09:10:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is Interscope/Geffen Blocking The Next Album's Release?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Interscope/Geffen Blocking The Next Album's Release?  (Read 63586 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »

Touche, Jarmo.  So, what's GnR's "new reason" to tour?

I didn't ask. But speaking as a fan, touring sure is more exciting than not touring.
A band that's active is more exciting than a band not being active.

I'm sure you can understand. For example, you can't find a set list from a show you didn't attend in 2003, 2004 or 2005 to complain about.  Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »

I didn't ask. But speaking as a fan, touring sure is more exciting than not touring.

I'm sure you can understand. For example, you can't find a set list from a show you didn't attend in 2003, 2004 or 2005 to complain about.  Cheesy

Why do we attack fans for not attending shows and then discussing or bring critical fo the setlist?

I really dont get it

/jarmo

Why do we attack fans for not attending shows and then discussing or bring critical of the setlist?   if we dont or cant pony up thousands of dollars on tickets and travel expenses we dont deserve a voice?

I really don't get it... I go to the shows in the New York area and have been to a couple vegas shows...i don't see why that makes me any more or less qualified to want new songs in shows coming up in South America, or be unhappy that they didn't play a Chinese Democracy favorite of mine

the bottom line with people complaining about the set list has to do with the original band not being  there and we all know it ... if they played 10 songs off CD  and not as many covers as they do along with Jungle PC SCOM and November rain... there would be much less complaining on the forums

maybe... that would lead to declining ticket sales... I couldnt answer that tho

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »

I know the same as you. That Axl wanted to release the next album roughly a year after Chinese, which is what he said in his online chats back then.

And did what, exactly, to achieve that?  During that year or any year since?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »

/jarmo

Yeah, I'd agree that, generally, touring is better than not touring...but only to a point.  To me, it's not as black and white.  Touring for a purpose (i.e. new album, new music) is certainly better than not touring.  However, if touring is getting in the way and preventing you from making new music/album, then, IMO, touring is not better.  I'd rather have the band not tour if it meant they were working towards releasing a new album.

Over the past few years, I've seen GnR several times, with little variation in the setlist.  I've had a great time at each show, but, after several shows of essentially the same performance, it becomes a little stale.  That's why I'm excited that the plan is to play "new" songs on this tour.  I'm hoping the purpose of the 2014 tour is to move towards a new album.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »

That's really a commentary on what being a GNR fan is in 2014.

"Its literally better than nothing" is supposed to be a big win for us.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »

Why do we attack fans for not attending shows and then discussing or bring critical of the setlist?   if we dont or cant pony up thousands of dollars on tickets and travel expenses we dont deserve a voice?

"Why do we attack"? If you comment on something, somebody might comment on what you said. It's called a discussion.

To me there's something a bit amusing reading comments about shows on the Internet, from people who weren't there, and remembering seeing thousands of fans having a great time at said show.

Yes, for me it is.
I remember how it was when I started this site. Back in the 1900s...  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »

"Why do we attack"? If you comment on something, somebody might comment on what you said. It's called a discussion.

To me there's something a bit amusing reading comments about shows on the Internet, from people who weren't there, and remembering seeing thousands of fans having a great time at said show.

Yes, for me it is.
I remember how it was when I started this site. Back in the 1900s...  ok

/jarmo

I think "it's better than nothing" is setting the bar a little too low for a tour...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »

To be honest, I'd have rather you answered my other question, Jarmo.  

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »

I think "it's better than nothing" is setting the bar a little too low for a tour...

It's not setting the bar for a tour.
It's saying, it's better to have an active band than not having an active band. That's logic to me. For some of you, it's not since you disagree.

Answer: I don't know.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2014, 02:06:50 PM »

It's saying, it's better to have an active band than not having an active band. That's logic to me. For some of you, it's not since you disagree.

I'm not sure any of us disagree.  We disagree when you tell us this should be seen as manna from heaven. 

On the basest level, yes, something is better than nothing.  What would be better would be the same tour dates we are supposed to think are awesome, with a  new album to support behind it.

Oh, come on now.  I think we both know.  Zip, zero, nothing.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »

I'm not sure any of us disagree.  We disagree when you tell us this should be seen as manna from heaven. 

On the basest level, yes, something is better than nothing.  What would be better would be the same tour dates we are supposed to think are awesome, with a  new album to support behind it.

This.  So very much, this.   yes

If they're doing everything in their power behind the scenes to get the next album out, well then we have no real podium to stand on.  But the truth is, we have absolutely zilch that eludes to that being the case.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »

No, we don't know. Unlike you, I don't assume that I know something I don't know.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:50:35 PM by jarmo » Logged

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »

we don't know.

/jarmo

That's the spirit!  You sound more and more like member of GNR every day!  hihi
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2014, 07:16:03 PM »

Is there any factual basis for the belief that the label may be holding a new album back? Or is this pure speculation/propaganda to deflect blame from the most logical culprit? It blows my mind how people can twist and contort themselves out of all logic just to justify an ideology. Why is the simplest answer never the case with these people. Why is there always some complex conspiracy theory??

The fact is Axl took over the GNR name for reasons that have been long debated. it was up to him to justify his actions and step up to the plate. he talked about his visions, talked about recording and talked steering the ship. many people have talked about Slash and Duff being drunks and junkies but they always seemed capable of writing recording and playing on a regular basis. The sober one only managed these things spasmodically. It seems...and I do emphasise that word, that Axl has not had anyone capable of pushing him into releasing music for many years. Perhaps having control is not actually in Axl's best interests?? It certainly hasn't been creatively IMHO.

Face facts. Multiple former (and current) band members, producers and so on have recounted how difficult it is to get Axl to be productive. So what would lead anyone to believe that this isn't the case as far as a new album is concerned?

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »

Face facts. Multiple former (and current) band members, producers and so on have recounted how difficult it is to get Axl to be productive. So what would lead anyone to believe that this isn't the case as far as a new album is concerned?

Fact is that it is not the case because those same multiple former and current band members and producers and so on have recounted how there's enough material done to fill like 3 or more albums so Axl obviously did his parts on those songs.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »

Those songs are in a completed form?? We know this how? I have no doubt there are quite a number of demo's or sketches but no idea of the quality of these songs or whether they are simply demo's in various stages of completion. The fact Ron says the band have not written a song since 2008I think it was should give some indication.

Even then the list of former band mates and producers who have either expressed frustrations about Axl's inability to work on or release music is very long so I stand by my comment as being factual.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:26 PM »

Is there any factual basis for the belief that the label may be holding a new album back? Or is this pure speculation/propaganda to deflect blame from the most logical culprit? It blows my mind how people can twist and contort themselves out of all logic just to justify an ideology. Why is the simplest answer never the case with these people. Why is there always some complex conspiracy theory??

The fact is Axl took over the GNR name for reasons that have been long debated. it was up to him to justify his actions and step up to the plate. he talked about his visions, talked about recording and talked steering the ship. many people have talked about Slash and Duff being drunks and junkies but they always seemed capable of writing recording and playing on a regular basis. The sober one only managed these things spasmodically. It seems...and I do emphasise that word, that Axl has not had anyone capable of pushing him into releasing music for many years. Perhaps having control is not actually in Axl's best interests?? It certainly hasn't been creatively IMHO.

There is a factual basis to raise the possibility that the label may be unwilling to release a new GN'R album, yes.  Jimmy Iovine brought in Bob Ezrin to work as an A&R-type with GN'R and Axl met with him.  As Ezrin told the story, Axl told him that at the point he wanted to mix the album and thought it was ready for that.  Ezrin disagreed and said the album wasn't ready to mix.  So, someone representing Jimmy Iovine and the label did reject Chinese Democracy in its form then.  Additionally, this is the same label that rejected MIA's latest album multiple times allegedly due to its overly "dark" tone.

So, yes, it's certainly possible.

Ali
Princess Leia
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2014, 03:24:31 AM »

Guys let?s face it. Axl doesn?t have a nice and smooth relationship with the industry. And there isn?t buzz out there for a new album. So it doesn?t make sense for Axl and the record company to make an album only because 5 to 10 fans around forums want it.

What should Axl and the record company do? In my own personal opinion they should put 5 new songs on iTunes or Youtube to taste the waters. If there is huge demand and buzz from the general public and the media around the world. Well only then they should release an album. If nobody gives a fuck outside forum. Why bother? Making an album is very expensive and it?s unfair for the band  and the label to lose money.

As for touring, well in the last 2 or 3 years it has been an AFD Tour with a couple of CD and UYI as fillers. Is it an AFD Tour better than nothing? Yes. I don?t want Axl to take another 7 years nap nor to call it a day. But the more they play those songs, the more I miss the good old days.I really don?t think CD was worthy of everything that went on, break up, revolving door band members, revolving door managers, lawsuits and so much pain for Axl, fans and everyone involved.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »

Guys let?s face it. Axl doesn?t have a nice and smooth relationship with the industry. And there isn?t buzz out there for a new album. So it doesn?t make sense for Axl and the record company to make an album only because 5 to 10 fans around forums want it.

What should Axl and the record company do? In my own personal opinion they should put 5 new songs on iTunes or Youtube to taste the waters. If there is huge demand and buzz from the general public and the media around the world. Well only then they should release an album. If nobody gives a fuck outside forum. Why bother? Making an album is very expensive and it?s unfair for the band  and the label to lose money.

But at what point do the other guys in the band ask what the hell they are doing here?

Think about it.  We ask it everyday, and we don't even have any skin in this game.  These guys (at least some of them) worked really hard on all this stuff that never gets heard.  That's not frustrating?  They are musicians by trade.  As a rule, they write, record, and release music.

Know what sucks?  This guys have been good soldiers.  I'd argue, WELL above and beyond the call on that front.  One day they are going to say the hell with all of this, and then what will happen online?  People will shit on them for being disloyal and "not onboard".  As if they haven't been sitting patiently for YEARS waiting for something, anything to go on before eventually throwing up their hands.

And the first one to tell me "well, they must be alright with it all because they are still there, smartguy" simply doesn't get the point, and frankly, never will.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »

But at what point do the other guys in the band ask what the hell they are doing here?

Think about it.  We ask it everyday, and we don't even have any skin in this game.  These guys (at least some of them) worked really hard on all this stuff that never gets heard.  That's not frustrating?  They are musicians by trade.  As a rule, they write, record, and release music.

Know what sucks?  This guys have been good soldiers.  I'd argue, WELL above and beyond the call on that front.  One day they are going to say the hell with all of this, and then what will happen online?  People will shit on them for being disloyal and "not onboard".  As if they haven't been sitting patiently for YEARS waiting for something, anything to go on before eventually throwing up their hands.

And the first one to tell me "well, they must be alright with it all because they are still there, smartguy" simply doesn't get the point, and frankly, never will.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley and the Heartbreak kid could not have said it better themselves!   Grin

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: