Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:45:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Where do we go now
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where do we go now  (Read 110900 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #380 on: September 23, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »

The band didn't just end on one specific day.
Nobody seems to take that into account when they say things like "GN'R only released one album in 15 years while Metallica released soooo many".

/jarmo

That's been taken into account.
Regardless of why, there's no glossing over the anemic amount of official releases.

Why the turnover in personnel? I'm sure every case is different.
Creative direction, inability to get along with Axl, hiring of Paul Huge are a few things cited by Izzy, Duff, Slash.
Those key members were at one point, and always will be in the eyes of many fans, vital members of GN'R.
A case could be made that once it got to that point, where the members of Guns N' Roses no longer saw eye to eye, and could no longer work together as a band, maybe it was time to put the band to bed.

It's been speculated that Robin and Bucket left due to the lack of progress and inactivity.
I believe this was also Freese's reasoning.
What was the hold up? Was it the lawsuits over the name? Were they not getting the support from the label they thought they deserved because of the name?
I find this hard to believe since they got record level support financially to make Chinese Democracy, but I know it has been insinuated by fans and band members.
If this was the case in their eyes, in hindsight, was it worth it?

Maybe it was and is to Axl. I don't know.
From a fan's standpoint, I think it's very much open to debate.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #381 on: September 23, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »

LGD: from a fans standpoint; yes it was worth it! The label could've spent those millions in millions other ways, and still never get a masterpiece like Chinese Democracy out of it👍

The future is bright, so why dwell so much on the past (like the name of this thread suggests)?

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #382 on: September 23, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »

They gave him 14 million dollars to record an album, it took years to finally come out, than when it did come out he went MIA and didn't promote it at all. The record company may not want to give Axl more money and time to record another album, because that'll just give him time to tinker and add more and more layers of stuff to already done songs. It's is possible that the record company won't release a new album unless it's with the AFD line-up, but that's also Axl's fault. Chinese Democracy sold WAY below expectations with no promotion from Axl. If he actually promoted the album, than the record company may have more trust in him.

And if the record company have a chance to make money off of a new GN'R album, than we would get one. It's easy to blame everyone else besides Axl for everything that goes wrong, but Universal already worked with Axl for years and probably don't want to go through the same shit again.

Very well said.

Very few of the diehard Axl people want to touch this.  I can't imagine what parallel universe you have to be coming from to defend his actions on that.  Work all this time, have it finally come out, they you run off and pout for a year.  What the hell sense does that make?

I'm amazed the others in the band didn't riot.  They put in all this time and all this wait for the eventual payoff.  Axl never gave them a chance to see it through.  Pretty shitty.

Certainly he could've done more promotion, at least in terms of press, for the album after it came out.  I can't say it's surprising he didn't given his general aversion to doing press, but certainly that could've helped album sales.  It couldn't have hurt.

But, as far as your comments about him running off and pouting for a year and the band being pissed off, the thing you have to consider is whether or not your description is all there is to the story.  In other words, maybe they didn't riot because they knew there somethings going on behind the scenes that we didn't know about that time?

The reason I bring this up is because I have a copy of the countersuit brought Axl filed against Azoff and it mentions some things that would dispel the notion that he just went and pouted for a year.

Jarmo has already mentioned the request for a promotional plan, but it wasn't just a request made of the label.  He made that request of management, too.  But, granted, he could've arranged more interviews like the Billboard and Spinner interviews.  That "Better" video could've came out, too.  But, who knows if Robin's departure muddied those plans or not.

But, as far as promotion goes, the countersuit does mention that the band was planning on doing a summer Euro tour before the Van Halen co-headlining tour that Azoff was allegedly arranging.  However, the Euro tour was nixed because the band was told they may not be able to make it back in time to start the Van Halen mega-tour.

So, yeah, no touring was starting until a year after the album came out.  But, is it as simple as they sat on their asses and only decided to tour a year after the album came out?  It doesn't appear to be that simple, no.

Ali
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:03:16 PM by Ali » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #383 on: September 23, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »

But, as far as your comments about him running off and pouting for a year and the band being pissed off, the thing you have to consider is whether or not your description is all there is to the story.  In other words, maybe they didn't riot because they knew there somethings going on behind the scenes that we didn't know about that time?

So, yeah, no touring was starting until a year after the album came out.  But, is it as simple as they sat on their asses and only decided to tour a year after the album came out?  It doesn't appear to be that simple, no.

Very true.

But, I would also file this under "put up or shut up".  Axl loves, and I mean LOVES to rant and rave about how people don't know what's going on, and they have some god damn balls speculating.  Drives him crazy when people "spread lies".

Well, not for nothing, but what are you doing about that?  Not too much, that's what.

And to try and head off the next lecture that I feel "entitled", that is not the point I am making.  I'm saying if you clam up and don't tell anyone anything, you can't then get all pissy when people speculate, right or wrong.  If you don't like seeing that shit, correct the record.  Perhaps Axl really does have chapter and verse how he was done wrong, but how the hell are we supposed to know that?

You can play it one of two ways.  Say nothing, and not give a shit who speculates what.  Or...give everyone the facts and then when erroneous things are said or printed, you direct them back to the facts you have laid out and ask for a correction.

But its not mix and match.  You don't get to not say a peep then get pissed people have it wrong.  I mean, its your prerogative if that how you want to play it, but the situation will never correct itself that way, will it?  It gives the impression of a self fulfilling prophecy.  You are setting the table to be angry, by design.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:50:34 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #384 on: September 23, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »

Very true.

But, I would also file this under "put up or shut up".  Axl loves, and I mean LOVES to rant and rave about how people don't know what's going on, and they have some god damn balls speculating.  Drives him crazy when people "spread lies".

Well, not for nothing, but what are you doing about that?  Not too much, that's what.

And to try and head off the next lecture that I feel "entitled", that is not the point I am making.  I'm saying if you clam up and don't tell anyone anything, you can't then get all pissy when people speculate, right or wrong.  If you don't like seeing that shit, correct the record.  Perhaps Axl really does have chapter and verse how he was done wrong, but how the hell are we supposed to know that?

You can play it one of two ways.  Say nothing, and not give a shit who speculates what.  Or...give everyone the facts and then when erroneous things are said or printed, you direct them back to the facts you have laid out and ask for a correction.

But its not mix and match.  You don't get to not say a peep then get pissed people have it wrong.  I mean, its your prerogative if that how you want to play it, but the situation will never correct itself that way, will it?  It gives the impression of a self fulfilling prophecy.  You are setting the table to be angry, by design.

Yes, Axl could've told us what happened earlier.  But, I don't think it would be prudent to air that dirty laundry publicly while Azoff was still the band's manager, which he was until October 2009.  Afterwards, yes, but not before then.

By the way, the countersuit was filed in May 2010.  Just FYI.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #385 on: September 23, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »

Yes, Axl could've told us what happened earlier.  But, I don't think it would be prudent to air that dirty laundry publicly while Azoff was still the band's manager, which he was until October 2009.  Afterwards, yes, but not before then.

I think that's valid.

But he never did.  So now here we are, some 5 years later, wondering what the hell happened.  Perhaps if Axl could actually shed a little light on the subject, we'd understand his actions better, no?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #386 on: October 10, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »

Where the fuck is the Vegas DVD?

The only reason I feel like the fans deserve this is because we were promised this by the band and lead to believe we'd get it.
I'm not an ungrateful fan who feels the band owe us but why tease us with the promise of a 3D DVD/Blu Ray of the show.

Why throw this in our faces and then expect us not to complain, regardless of who released it. The studio teased about relasing a trailer for a while, the band had loads of time to stop them releasing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttG0NqbKzJc

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #387 on: June 15, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »

Just wanted to see what others think about "where do we go now?"

Personally I think the band needs a well deserved break. All the touring going back to the end of 09, the band has been on fire. Of course who doesn't want new music but I think they've earned a well deserve break

Well you got your break!  haha

On slow posting days I love going back to see where the band and this board was a few years ago
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #388 on: June 15, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »

Personally I think the band needs a well deserved break. All the touring going back to the end of 09, the band has been on fire. Of course who doesn't want new music but I think they've earned a well deserve break

On slow posting days I love going back to see where the band and this board was a few years ago

And they deserve some time away.  It's not the end of the world. I'm not saying I don't want new music and more shows, I definitely do, but after touring and touring for years, it's not that big of a deal to get away for a little bit.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:19:26 PM by GnR-NOW » Logged

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #389 on: June 15, 2015, 04:32:19 PM »

And they deserve some time away.  It's not the end of the world. I'm not saying I don't want new music and more shows, I definitely do, but after touring and touring for years, it's not that big of a deal to get away for a little bit.

Axl is the only one on a break that I know of though.  The others seem very busy
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #390 on: June 15, 2015, 04:44:06 PM »

Also, just some rough math...

Between the years 2009 and 2014 guns played around 236 shows.  That is alot of shows..  However...

If you look at it like this.  Its 236 shows over the span of 2190 days.  Which works out to be roughly 1 show for every 9 to 10 days.......

I dont think anyone that has to work only 1 day out of every 10 needs a break, but what do I know....   
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #391 on: June 15, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »

Between the years 2009 and 2014 guns played around 236 shows.  That is alot of shows..  However...

If you look at it like this.  Its 236 shows over the span of 2190 days.  Which works out to be roughly 1 show for every 9 to 10 days.......

I dont think anyone that has to work only 1 day out of every 10 needs a break, but what do I know....   

Touring is very stressful, I think the break is well deserved.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #392 on: June 15, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »

Touring is very stressful, I think the break is well deserved.

I would agree that long periods of travelling can be stressful.    I myself hate airports....   

Guns countered the stressful touring quite well though, with a couple of nice resedecies and a couple of small venue same city shows...

I dont mind them being on a break either, especially in the summer.....

However, I dont think they were ever "super busy" that they "needed" a break..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #393 on: June 15, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »

Well you're assuming the other days are just holidays. Which isn't necessarily true....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #394 on: June 15, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »

Well you're assuming the other days are just holidays. Which isn't necessarily true....

/jarmo

haha, no I am not assuming that...  But I did leave it very open for a reason....  Discussion.

I didnt include travel days, as I felt they were offset via a couple of long stays in a couple of certain cities...

I would like to think the days off were spent doing media and promoting the brand.  Writting/recording/prodcuing new/old material.....

I really dont know know how the band spent there average 8 days off between shows....   

For all I know sight seeing and partying took up a good junk of those days.

But I am not one to assume.   MB you could give a little detail into the day in the life of a off day of the band.   You would of witnessed it first hand a couple of the last tours..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #395 on: June 15, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »

No day is the same. Sometimes there's interviews, other days you might travel all day. Then there's things like keeping in touch with your family back home, taking care of business, rehearsals or sound checks, resting, maybe some sightseeing or entertainment such as a movie. Or catch a game.... It's not all partying and playing. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #396 on: June 15, 2015, 07:14:55 PM »

No day is the same. Sometimes there's interviews, other days you might travel all day. Then there's things like keeping in touch with your family back home, taking care of business, rehearsals or sound checks, resting, maybe some sightseeing or entertainment such as a movie. Or catch a game.... It's not all partying and playing. Smiley

/jarmo

Thanks for that

I will say.....  And even Bet on....

Most people (not me), would trade one of there days off to live the life of a Rock star on tour.   Even a rock stars day off on tour!!!!!  hahahaha

And I think most people (not me) would say.....

Screw the break, lets keep this going!!!!!
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #397 on: June 15, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »

I would assume they also need time away from each other. Seeing each other day after day on the road, it's only natural to want to get away for a bit.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2015, 07:52:44 PM »

They obviously have to have downtime.  No one tours 12 months a year except Dylan.  And that dude's crazy.

But despite touring on something he literally called "The Never Ending Tour", he still manages to release material.

That's our problem.  

GNR is owed some downtime after exhaustive touring.  I think only some sick taskmaster would claim they aren't owed that.  You need a break not just from the playing and the travel.  Like Jarmo said, all the other time commitments they have on the road.  You need downtime.

But what use is made of that downtime?  From all appearances...nothing.  They end tours saying the next step is to get sifting through the material and figure out how to best release it.  Because its all killer stuff.

Fast forward a year, sometimes longer.  So...where are we now, fellas?

"Well, we just need to figure out the best way to get a handle on this material and get it out there.  But it sure is awesome."

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #399 on: June 16, 2015, 10:13:29 AM »

GN?R being in need of more downtime is a pretty hilarious concept.
The torrid pace of one album in 24 years must be exhausting.

The need to get away from each other for a while would be understandable if they had accomplished something while together.
Maybe they have and it?s just a matter of time before it?s released, but that?s been the speculation essentially since nuGN?R formed.

The old band grew tired of each other after the UYI tour, but they were touring two very successful records, for 2 years.
They accomplished something special, and time off at that point was a necessity and well deserved.

nuGNR is essentially coming off of sporadic touring, with a setlist predominantly consisting of decades old material they didn?t write.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: