Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Appetite For Democracy Blu-ray/DVD - live in Las Vegas Nov 21 2012
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 81 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Appetite For Democracy Blu-ray/DVD - live in Las Vegas Nov 21 2012  (Read 452446 times)
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2013, 08:49:21 PM »

Great clip, great camera work, and great performance of everybody but Axl, IMO. I find his voice very weak in *this specific* video. Cant wait to see ''Chinese Democracy'' and the rest of the videos!
I read this a lot, but still don't quite get it.  It seems that for many, having a raspy tone=a strong voice, and not having a raspy tone=a "weak" voice.  I don't get how a tonal variation like that determines the strength or weakness of a voice.  If someone's range or vocal endurance are limited, or they can't get enough breath to properly support their voice, or they have an inability to sustain a nice, rich vibrato, then their vocal conditioning may be suspect and their voice could be "weak".  But, purely on the basis of a raspy tone or not?  That seems like an odd criteria that many GN'R fans use to judge relative strength, or quality, of Axl's voice.

The irony is a raspy tone is often considered unhealthy for your voice long term because it's (from what I've been taught) from a closed throat, which can often create wear and tear on the vocal chords.  I think that, combined with smoking and possibly other lifestyle factors, may have contributed to Axl's vocal problems in the early 90's, particularly during the Metallica tour.  I've always wondered if that's why he limits the use of that raspy tone like he does now.

Ali

We don't know Axl's regimen as far as his voice goes, maybe one day he'll feel like sharing it.  He never hid smoking weed and cigarettes back then.

If you hear how he sounded at the end of shows back then, his voice was tore up, not just raspy, probably to the point of spitting blood up.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »

It is all a matter of opinion Ali.  I prefer his current voice now to say, 1991.  To me it is a much more pleasant vocal style where I don't feel like Axl is in agony ripping his vocal chords.  I would love a DVD of this entire show I will get it on Blu ray.   
I can understand the preference of one vocal tone or another.  That I can understand.  I guess it is much more the terminology and the blanket words like "strong" or "weak" that I don't get.

But, yes, I'm with you.  I go back and listen to old bootlegs, and it sounds to me like Axl is putting his chords through hell.  I can't say I'm surprised he developed vocal nodules in 1992.

Ali
wakeup
Headliner

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2013, 10:56:06 PM »

It is all a matter of opinion Ali.  I prefer his current voice now to say, 1991.  To me it is a much more pleasant vocal style where I don't feel like Axl is in agony ripping his vocal chords.  I would love a DVD of this entire show I will get it on Blu ray.   
I can understand the preference of one vocal tone or another.  That I can understand.  I guess it is much more the terminology and the blanket words like "strong" or "weak" that I don't get.

But, yes, I'm with you.  I go back and listen to old bootlegs, and it sounds to me like Axl is putting his chords through hell.  I can't say I'm surprised he developed vocal nodules in 1992.

With his current tone/pitch it just sounds off.  I love Axl and will take it how ever he sounds.  That being said what the hell happen to his sound since 06-07.  He sounded amazing and I would play that for anyone and it would blow time away.  He rocks with Sebastion in their duets.  It like someone said that sounds great and he does not realize he is off.  I would think if his voice was "blown" it would have been before then.  Did it go with the braids Wink
Ali
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »

I go back and listen to old bootlegs, and it sounds to me like Axl is putting his chords through hell.
And he couldn't sing for shit - it sounded like shit most of the times. It was all about power, no control whatsoever.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2013, 02:36:36 AM »

I don't mind his voice quality on this.. But I listen to my 2010 bootlegs and it's a lot more powerful it was also pretty full sounding in 2006. Both times Sebastion Bach was on the scene. Perhsps Sebastion Bach was helping Axl with vocal exercises before shows?? He will know a lot about correct voice use from the support you receive when doing broadway shows.

Probably not.. But could be.
suicide
VIP

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2013, 05:34:31 AM »

Too bad the O2 concert got scrapped, maybe some of it will be included?

It's not scrapped (although it seems to be from time to time). Looks like we'll have both!!!  peace
Boromir
VIP

« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2013, 06:15:39 AM »

People.

It's the last song of a 3 hr show...give him a break. He's not 30 anymore. We love him 'weak' or 'ruspy' or 'strong'.

Hope this gets released soon Smiley

Keep Calm and Listen to Guns N' Roses!
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2013, 07:25:43 AM »

This is on the NME site today. Mind you, it is the NME, so best to take it with about twelve pinchfuls of sold, especially when it concerns Guns N Roses. The amount of complete crap I've read about them on that site is ridiculous......

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/68293

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2013, 11:19:14 AM »

I go back and listen to old bootlegs, and it sounds to me like Axl is putting his chords through hell.
And he couldn't sing for shit - it sounded like shit most of the times. It was all about power, no control whatsoever.

do you really believe this shit?  Huh

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »

So fucking predictable.

Every fucking time there's even a hint of some kind of official live performance being publicly broadcasted, we have a few people going on and on about whatever grievances they have.

It's the setlist, it's the mix, it's the guitar tone, it's the sound etc etc etc.

Oh, and when it sounds too good, it's "over produced".

They can never win.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »

depends if it's bashing all the time the band for whatever reason, or just giving an opinion on the band's work.

and no, you can't say Axl is at his top form on this tour. you just can't. you can say he's in good spirit, you can
say he's still give the audience for their money, you can say he looks good, but you can't definitly say he sings
very well...

but I still prefer a real live like this one instead of redoing all the voice parts in studio like on Live Era...
(I suppose it's impossible to do with a video anyway)

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »

I like the camera work A LOT, I like the overall production A LOT, I like the mix A LOT, I like the setlist A LOT (in fact, can a better setlist be possible?), I like the instrumental base A LOT, and I am happy as a pig in shit we're having a new DVD in the short term.

BUT i pointed out *MY OPINION* about Axl's voice being *IN MY OPINION* weak (I wont bother considering all that ''analysis'' of the term ''weak'' someone did in the last page of the thread) and that was enough for the admin to unleash all his fury.

Ok, since there is zero space for crtics here, let's start this all over again:

''everything is perfect
esteban''

Ali
Legend

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »

I agree with Bruno 100% on that last statement of his.  You should go back and listen to the Tokyo '92 live show if you can.  That's a prime example of Axl just pushing his voice, his chest voice, to hit notes it shouldn't be hitting.

Ali
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »

I agree with Bruno 100% on that last statement of his.  You should go back and listen to the Tokyo '92 live show if you can.  That's a prime example of Axl just pushing his voice, his chest voice, to hit notes it shouldn't be hitting.

Ali

you're mixing things up: I am not denying Axl used to force his voice a lot in the past. What I'm denying is that he sounded like shit! The whole world fell in love with his voice in the nineties. His voice in the nineties is the reason GNR keeps selling out arenas all over the world!

PS: the one at Tokyo '92 must be the show where Axl forces less his voice of all the 1985-1993 era... come one, there's life outside Tokyo 92 and Ritz 88... check this out please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14o9XMoCgeg

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »

and no, you can't say Axl is at his top form on this tour. you just can't.

Says who?

They did 69 shows in 2012. You gotta be on top form to sing around three hours during a "regular" night.

People are saying all kinds of shit about his voice, it's easy. It's easy to be ignorant and just blurt out things for the sake of having an "opinion".

Nobody seems to take some time to think. Let's say you're doing three-four shows per week. For a couple of months.

So, do you take care of yourself and make sure you can do the full tour, three hour shows and give everybody a great show. Or do you just risk everything to please a Youtube crowd and then have to cancel shows because your voice is gone?

Same thing with everything. Do you run around on a wet slippery rain soaked stage and gamble, or do you move less and seem "less into it"?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »

I agree with the fact you have to keep it on a long distance, managing your efforts, not fucking up your voice
but if I remember correctly they've done kinda the same amount of shows in 2006 and he sang amazingly great

ok it was 7 years ago...I get that, too.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »

Maybe i missed it in the couple of blurbs i read... but there is no release date right ?

just a clip posted on facebook?

you would think by now people would keep anything negative to themselves... regardless if its a stupid opinion or might actually be true... its just going to get slaughtered here

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ali
Legend

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »

Ali

you're mixing things up: I am not denying Axl used to force his voice a lot in the past. What I'm denying is that he sounded like shit! The whole world fell in love with his voice in the nineties. His voice in the nineties is the reason GNR keeps selling out arenas all over the world!

PS: the one at Tokyo '92 must be the show where Axl forces less his voice of all the 1985-1993 era... come one, there's life outside Tokyo 92 and Ritz 88... check this out please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14o9XMoCgeg
I hate to break it to you, Esteban, but I knew A LOT of people who did not like the way Axl sounded in the 90's.  Some people found it incredibly abrasive.

You are overly romanticizing Axl's voice and/or the public perception of it.

His voice in the 90's was not THE reason the band did as well as it did commercially.  At the root of it all were the songs and the quality of the songwriting.

Ali
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:44 PM »

This is boring. This concert will be great. Axl sounds fine.

However I don't think there is a problem with estebanf putting his opinion out there. Axls voice was stronger in 2010 in my opinion and he had his signature 'rasp'. This is one of my  favourite vids-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y_FHkqxTAI&list=UUiiWorrheCZCC8QXot7kk5Q&index=8

That tour Axl was on top form.

And not to add to the flames but it's a bit embarrassing to see people write about doing 60 odd shows etc.. I'm an actor and I've been in shows where singers are on stage for 3 hours, sometimes twice a day, 6 days a week and never missed a note. That is what professional singers do!

Anyway- on subject can't wait to see this in glorious 3D!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:56:20 PM by reayj2003 » Logged
CBGNR
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »

Axl had good days and bad days then,and good days and bad days now.Some people liked his voice back then,some didn't.Myself personally I love the classic Axl sound on the songs that were originally performed and recorded that way,and at the same time I like the cleaner voice on songs like" Catcher" that were recorded that way.As far as proffesional singers being able to perform night after night ,well they're singing in a proper singing style,and Axl could sing I'm sure for 5 days a week in his natural voice.Big difference between natural singing and ripping your vocal chords apart for several hours a night.Try basically screaming your head off for a few hours,and see how your throat feels and voice sounds after several days.Looking forward to this also.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:26:58 AM by CBGNR » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 81 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: