Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 08:32:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Appetite For Democracy Blu-ray/DVD - live in Las Vegas Nov 21 2012
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 81 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Appetite For Democracy Blu-ray/DVD - live in Las Vegas Nov 21 2012  (Read 432809 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #460 on: October 15, 2013, 08:49:54 AM »

Do you think it could be that Axl is just not happy with the quality of his vocals or other aspects of the band?  I get that there are things they can do to improve flaws in the studio, but maybe he doesn't want to do that. 

I think this is absolutely in play.

The man is not deaf.  He hears the same soundboard we all do.  It would take some serious studio magic, if not outright re-recorded vocals, to help some of the vocals lately.
I don't think this is likely the reason for the delay. 

First off, the vocal quality issue is one that is subjective with regards to vocal tone.  Having seen the last two shows of the residency in person and having talked to many people in and around the Hard Rock Hotel who saw the shows, I can say that the opinion you express is not universal by any stretch of the imagination.

Second, there are other issues that must be taken into consideration.  There are clearance issues that have to be dealt with in order to include covers like "The Seeker", "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)", "No Quarter", and "Don't Let It Bring You Down".  All of which were played at the show recorded for the release.  This could be a significant issue given the number of covers played at the show.

Ali

At this point it would be silly to assume its any one reason....

For once can't anything this guy does just be easy....

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
BigChrisSpirito
Rocker

Big Chris Spirito

« Reply #461 on: October 21, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »

I haven't been on the board in a long time but tonight I was thinking about the Vegas show as 1 year ago I was out in Vegas getting married and caught a few shows.  Any update at all on if there is a still a DVD/Bluray of this coming out or if it's going to the theater like Metallica just did? 

Orlando, FL, 9/2/92
Tampa, FL, 10/25/06
Estero, FL, 10/27/06
Atlanta, GA, 11/2/11
Las Vegas, NV, 10/31/12
Orlando, FL, 7/29/16
Miami, FL 8/8/2017
Hollywood, FL 10/2/21
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #462 on: October 22, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »

We didn't have recent news about it, we will see...

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #463 on: October 23, 2013, 11:02:26 PM »

Axl is a perfectionist. Very few can pull off the vocal range he sings and performs with. So that makes sense he may be the one putting the brakes on the DVD.
Id rather they dont put it out VS redoing the vocals. It would sound too produced and not a have a live feel.

I was at the show when they recorded the DVD and Axl's voice was excellent, there is nothing to hide or cover up or redo.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
JeffK
Rocker

« Reply #464 on: October 23, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »

Axl is a perfectionist. Very few can pull off the vocal range he sings and performs with. So that makes sense he may be the one putting the brakes on the DVD.
Id rather they dont put it out VS redoing the vocals. It would sound too produced and not a have a live feel.

I was at the show when they recorded the DVD and Axl's voice was excellent, there is nothing to hide or cover up or redo.
Ya, I was there as well and the show was absolutely perfect...everyone in the band nailed every note. It was an incredible show and I really hope this gets released.

2006: Edmonton
2010: Calgary
2010: Saskatoon
2012: Las Vegas (x2)
2014: Las Vegas (x2)
2016: Las Vegas
2016: Toronto
2017: Regina
2017: Edmonton
Princess Leia
« Reply #465 on: October 29, 2013, 04:54:10 AM »

Q: Vegas DVD?
A: I know, What the fuck?

That was Ron yesterday during the chat.

ok

That was exactly the kind of answer we were looking for, right?
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #466 on: October 29, 2013, 07:55:16 AM »

ok

I think his reaction could be copy/pasted in relation to a new album as well. Why of why is it always this band that can always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? Dysfunction personified Sad
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #467 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »

ok

To be honest, that sums up about everything to do with GN'R at the moment.  Embarrassed
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #468 on: October 29, 2013, 10:51:35 AM »

I never post smilies, but...

rofl

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #469 on: October 29, 2013, 02:50:20 PM »

Ya, I was there as well and the show was absolutely perfect...everyone in the band nailed every note. It was an incredible show and I really hope this gets released.

But do you think being there at the show gives you best vantage point to say that?  I have been to concerts myself I thought were solid, only to then get a copy of the soundboard bootleg and see that was not the case.

A lot of you seem to be saying how great Axl sounded.  I'm already on record questioning that, highly.  The boots I have from 2011, he's dreadful.  And the clips I saw of 2012 seemed hit or miss.  Is it possible he summoned up a heroic effort this one particular night?  I suppose.  But I think its unlikely.  Hope very much to be proven wrong.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #470 on: October 29, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »

But do you think being there at the show gives you best vantage point to say that?  I have been to concerts myself I thought were solid, only to then get a copy of the soundboard bootleg and see that was not the case.

A lot of you seem to be saying how great Axl sounded.  I'm already on record questioning that, highly.  The boots I have from 2011, he's dreadful.  And the clips I saw of 2012 seemed hit or miss.  Is it possible he summoned up a heroic effort this one particular night?  I suppose.  But I think its unlikely.  Hope very much to be proven wrong.
I think being there is always the best vantage point.  Recordings vary widely in quality and are usually incomplete.  Soundboards are few and far between.  So, to judge a show in its totality, being there is the best vantage point.

Ali
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #471 on: October 29, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »

sorry, Ali, when it comes to objective judging audio quality of a show, and exspecially Axl's voice, it's wayyyyy too biased to just go the "you have to be there"-road! being there you're simply confronted with so many other factors leading to be being more of an non-objective (the additional visual factor being the biggest, live excitement being there with all the factors like getting a ticket/getting free off work/meeting others/having expectations, other people standing near/around you, the setlist and what the songs mean to you, the performance itself, the speakers' sound and where you're standing, how do you feel that night/time, girls, beers etc. etc.). it just doesn't work! as for a more "recent" GN'R experience of mine: i've seen, taped RAR 2006 myself just to be irritated a lot with comparing those results, the "live" memories and the tv broadcast later. and before anyone starts to shoot here, this comes from somebody seeing, taping, filming, editing and collecting shows since the late 80s, i've done tons and tons of things like this myself, comparing, even producing etc.
as a result from my ears and experience -and this also is to be seen/heard on circulating clips- : Axl's voice is more of the weakest link of his recent line-up since Rio 2011! and before another one shoots: no, i'd really would like to have his voice being strong!!

Re-Union time, baby!!
Ali
Legend

« Reply #472 on: October 29, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »

sorry, Ali, when it comes to objective judging audio quality of a show, and exspecially Axl's voice, it's wayyyyy too biased to just go the "you have to be there"-road! being there you're simply confronted with so many other factors leading to be being more of an non-objective (the additional visual factor being the biggest, live excitement being there with all the factors like getting a ticket/getting free off work/meeting others/having expectations, other people standing near/around you, the setlist and what the songs mean to you, the performance itself, the speakers' sound and where you're standing, how do you feel that night/time, girls, beers etc. etc.). it just doesn't work! as for a more "recent" GN'R experience of mine: i've seen, taped RAR 2006 myself just to be irritated a lot with comparing those results, the "live" memories and the tv broadcast later. and before anyone starts to shoot here, this comes from somebody seeing, taping, filming, editing and collecting shows since the late 80s, i've done tons and tons of things like this myself, comparing, even producing etc.
as a result from my ears and experience -and this also is to be seen/heard on circulating clips- : Axl's voice is more of the weakest link of his recent line-up since Rio 2011! and before another one shoots: no, i'd really would like to have his voice being strong!!
Disagree with everything you just wrote for the reasons I stated before.  Your other "factors" are blanket assumptions and not applicable to all people and situations.

Ali

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #473 on: October 29, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »

those "factors" aint assumptions but proven examples interrupting when it's coming to judge live vocals/audio when being there. being in this business for ages i really have lived all this for decades, more than propably 99,5% of this board. so sorry, no offense personally, your words are more goin into the blindfollowing "everything sounds great, it's all youtube's fault"-category. but i'm up to hear your real arguments in this. and if your defense is goin like "the voice quality differs depending where you're standing"-route, then sorry, you can't win here.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Ali
Legend

« Reply #474 on: October 29, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »

those "factors" aint assumptions but proven examples interrupting when it's coming to judge live vocals/audio when being there. being in this business for ages i really have lived all this for decades, more than propably 99,5% of this board. so sorry, no offense personally, your words are more goin into the blindfollowing "everything sounds great, it's all youtube's fault"-category. but i'm up to hear your real arguments in this. and if your defense is goin like "the voice quality differs depending where you're standing"-route, then sorry, you can't win here.
Insult me if you wish by going to the "blindfollowing" rhetoric, it only shows the weakness of your argument.  I never said anything voice quality varying with position in the crowd.  I already stated my reasons for believing that witness a live in show in its entirety in person is the best metric.  Your "factors" are examples that may be applicable to some situations and some people, but to act as if they are universal truths that apply to every person that sees a show in person and therefore renders their opinion useless is a desperate attempt to discredit a differing point of view, nothing more.

Ali
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #475 on: October 30, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »

His voice hasn't been the best in recent touring.  I think it was last good at the Rose Bar Sessions (I believe).  And I've been to live shows.  Either way you put it, he hasn't been that good live or on YouTube, or wherever else.  I think that live, his voice gets mixed with everything else (guitars, explosions, crowd noise, etc) and it's hard to even notice it.  People can say what they want, but (even though it's not always good quality) you watch enough YouTube clips, and you get a good idea what his voice is like.  Stop making excuses.  When Axl's voice is in top form, there isn't even question!  I believe this could very easily have something to do with why this DVD hasn't come out, and even possibly why a new album hasn't come out.  Axl knows when he's singing well and when he's not...I'm pretty sure.  And if this IS the reason, I think he's smart.  You can't take back things once they are released.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #476 on: October 30, 2013, 01:35:52 AM »

I doubt it's the quality of the performance that's stopping this from getting released, it's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that "never" seems to get sorted... and it's been this way for a very long time. The only reason why CD was released in my view was because it was pushed through by people who had no interest in its success whatsoever, but that's another story. Same with the London cinematic release, that for whatever reason was stopped by either the band or record company, but I doubt it was because of the performance. Which makes it even more frustrating for us fans, because we get to the point where we are like "why, is this happening all the time?".  Tongue
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #477 on: October 30, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »

So this is going to come out any minute now, right? Cheesy

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #478 on: October 30, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »

His voice hasn't been the best in recent touring.  I think it was last good at the Rose Bar Sessions (I believe).  And I've been to live shows.  Either way you put it, he hasn't been that good live or on YouTube, or wherever else.  I think that live, his voice gets mixed with everything else (guitars, explosions, crowd noise, etc) and it's hard to even notice it.  People can say what they want, but (even though it's not always good quality) you watch enough YouTube clips, and you get a good idea what his voice is like.  Stop making excuses.  When Axl's voice is in top form, there isn't even question!  I believe this could very easily have something to do with why this DVD hasn't come out, and even possibly why a new album hasn't come out.  Axl knows when he's singing well and when he's not...I'm pretty sure.  And if this IS the reason, I think he's smart.  You can't take back things once they are released.

Completely agreed.  He has to see the weak spots of this (his performance included) and probably doesn't want to endure the standard press backlash that comes with all this (I.E. - "not real gnr!" "Axl is fat!" "Axl can't sing with his hired guns!" and blah blah blah).  It's sad, but I'd actually prefer nothing comes out until he's in his strongest form possible. 

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Ali
Legend

« Reply #479 on: October 30, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »

His voice was great towards the end of the Vegas run.

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 81 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: