Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 04:04:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Appetite For Democracy Blu-ray/DVD - live in Las Vegas Nov 21 2012
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 81 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Appetite For Democracy Blu-ray/DVD - live in Las Vegas Nov 21 2012  (Read 433682 times)
Dok
Headliner

« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2013, 05:14:48 PM »

Jarmo:

In the US (maybe almost everywhere) any artist can play anything from anyone -live-. As long as you don't record and sell it.
You really can believe it, so why posting the same link again and again and again? Do you really thing GNR are forking over $ to Dylan and McCartney (AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, Neill Young, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones [as of now])...) after every gig? Hm...that would make sense I guess, would it?
Wake up!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:23:27 PM by Dok » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #381 on: July 31, 2013, 05:41:17 PM »

Where did I say you can't play anything?

I need to wake up? So explain how licensing fees work will you.
Because from the little I know about it, somebody is supposed to pay when a song is performed in public.

So you are saying nobody is paying? You're certain the fee isn't paid by the venue hosting the concerts?
You think the individual performers have to keep track of whose songs they performed so they can send money to the songwriters? Doesn't that sound complicated to you?

I'm not gonna bother posting more links since you seem to know a lot about the subject. But I do still believe that somebody pays. Most likely the concert venue. No matter how you try to tell me to wake up.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dok
Headliner

« Reply #382 on: July 31, 2013, 05:47:46 PM »

Lips Sealed
Where did I say you can't play anything?
Where did I say you can't?

I need to wake up?
Yes.

So explain how licensing fees work will you.
See above

Because from the little I know about it...
See above

So you are saying nobody is paying?
For a song being played in a live concert, yes.

You're certain the fee isn't paid by the venue hosting the concerts?
Yes

You think the individual performers have to keep track of whose songs they performed so they can send money to the songwriters?
No, because...see above

Doesn't that sound complicated to you?
No, because I already stated that only in 4-5 sentences

I'm not gonna bother posting more links since you seem to know a lot about the subject.
Good

But I do still believe that somebody pays.
You're still wrong then.

Most likely the concert venue.
Because they're known for 'secretly' taking over artist's expenses, right?

No matter how you try to tell me to wake up.  ok
Know your shit.

/jarmo
Dok

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:50:51 PM by Dok » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #383 on: July 31, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »

You don't seem to have any knowledge of the matter but you make claims of others being wrong.

Priceless!

For those who are less ignorant, do a simple Google search for music licensing and you'll find plenty of articles stating that venues are supposed to play the fees...  The Internets are wrong I guess.  hihi

Here's one: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-licensing3.htm
Technically, anyone performing music publicly anywhere has to pay

Edited to add: When you buy music legally, part of the money goes to the song writers. That makes sense to most people. When you go to a concert, you have to buy a ticket. Usually when it's not a free concert. What if part of that money was used to pay for a license, and that license money then goes to the song writers?  Shocked

/jarmo
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:21:18 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dok
Headliner

« Reply #384 on: July 31, 2013, 06:33:11 PM »

You don't seem to have any knowledge of the matter but you make claims of others being wrong.

Priceless!

For those who are less ignorant, do a simple Google search for music licensing and you'll find plenty of articles stating that venues are supposed to play the fees...  The Internets are wrong I guess.  hihi

Here's one: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-licensing3.htm
Technically, anyone performing music publicly anywhere has to pay

/jarmo

You've been searching a little, did ya? Never mind.
What you are referring to is that venues (clubs, arenas and such) who are generally providing music (may it be live or recorded) have to pay a fee for doing so. That's true and something I never disagreed with. The thing is that all big venues pay a certain amount of cash to the ASCAP or whatever the name of it may be in other countries. What I disagree with is that when, for example, GNR play 15 or 20 covers out of 20 songs that has any influence on what is being paid by the venue to the ASCAP per year.

But then again howstuffworks.com may seem like a reliable source and a provider of reality for some not asking too much.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #385 on: July 31, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »

You've been searching a little, did ya? Never mind.

Surprise!

Amazing what somebody who needs to wake up can find on ASCAP.com or BMI.com don't you think?

What I disagree with is that when, for example, GNR play 15 or 20 covers out of 20 songs that has any influence on what is being paid by the venue to the ASCAP per year.

Never said anything like that.

Funny how you're backtracking now:

So you are saying nobody is paying?
For a song being played in a live concert, yes.

From "nobody is paying" to "venue is paying".
But finally we agree.

I think the source of confusion is that some of you seem to think I claimed GN'R has to pay for playing cover songs at concerts (directly) when in reality I pointed out that songs can be performed live (you can play what you want) and somebody else takes care of handling the licensing. For example the venue.

Bob Dylan isn't gonna send a guy to collect his royalties after GN'R played Heaven's Door at the show.  Wink
But hopefully he gets paid for it somehow.

/jarmo

Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #386 on: July 31, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Jarmo. 

Sorry for an off topic question, but is there a site where you can type in a song and see whoe owns the publishing rights?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:16:50 PM by Siamese Democracy » Logged
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #387 on: August 01, 2013, 12:57:38 AM »

i remember axl saying in helsinki 2006 before kohd something like ''time to contribute Bob's pension fund".

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #388 on: August 01, 2013, 08:11:08 AM »

Thanks for the clarification Jarmo. 

Sorry for an off topic question, but is there a site where you can type in a song and see whoe owns the publishing rights?

No problem. I got curious with all this talk and did some searches. Amazing what you can find..

Try the ASCAP database search: https://www.ascap.com/Home/ace-title-search/index.aspx or BMI: http://www.bmi.com/search

/jarmo

volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #389 on: August 01, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »

But hopefully he gets paid for it somehow.

/jarmo

He doesn't

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #390 on: August 02, 2013, 12:18:41 PM »

Well at least there's one thing I have saved some cash not having to upgrade my TV to 3D

Here today...ready to rock
crthiel
Headliner

Hello Time bomb

« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2013, 11:54:47 PM »

We can all speculate but it all comes down to the individual licensing agreements.  I think generally, any references that Axl makes to paying Dylan's pension has to do with the fact that Knocking On Heavens Door has been on 3 different GnR albums so far.  So that one is a special case as far as covers go.

Here in the States, most of the time a band can play whatever they want live to my knowledge.  As long as they don't market the show (i.e. "Come see GnR play hits by Wings, Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd!") in that fashion and don't record the show and sell it after the fact.  Such as with the upcoming DVD/Blu-Ray.  Despite them playing it live at most (probably all shows) they would still need a separate licensing agreement for the DVD release.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #392 on: August 03, 2013, 01:37:41 AM »

We can all speculate but it all comes down to the individual licensing agreements.  I think generally, any references that Axl makes to paying Dylan's pension has to do with the fact that Knocking On Heavens Door has been on 3 different GnR albums so far.  So that one is a special case as far as covers go.

Here in the States, most of the time a band can play whatever they want live to my knowledge.  As long as they don't market the show (i.e. "Come see GnR play hits by Wings, Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd!") in that fashion and don't record the show and sell it after the fact.  Such as with the upcoming DVD/Blu-Ray.  Despite them playing it live at most (probably all shows) they would still need a separate licensing agreement for the DVD release.

Good post.  And its possible you've nailed the reason why we haven't heard any news about this DVD.  Axl may want the release to include the whole show or nothing at all.  If there are perhaps event he jams for which they cannot agree on licensing, than perhaps that is the hold up, or one of the reasons.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Summer Romance
Opening Act

« Reply #393 on: August 03, 2013, 04:24:01 AM »

I like the other poster, but on this issue Dok is correct.

16 and counting!
Nightrained
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2013, 02:39:01 PM »

Wouldn't the agreement be in place if there was plans for this to be released, to the point that a trailer was made?

I can understand with the London DVD, when it was originally meant to be streamed, then they wanted to push it out to cinema's and DVD, so maybe that's where that tripped up. However this show was to be filmed in 3D so from the very start it was always penned in for a cinema/dvd release?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:40:40 PM by Nightrained » Logged
Jayster
Headliner

« Reply #395 on: August 03, 2013, 03:09:13 PM »

Fernando just posted on his facebook in reply to a fan that they are working on the Vegas DVD.
Gunsguy
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #396 on: August 03, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »

Fernando just posted on his facebook in reply to a fan that they are working on the Vegas DVD.

That is great they are at least acknowledging it now Smiley
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #397 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »

A year is a reasonable time to have a concert film out. I don't think the publishing paperwork takes long, editing and mixing is time consuming, especially if it's a small production company hired to make concert films.

slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #398 on: August 06, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »

Generally speaking, at this time we have no information on tours, albums, or DVDs.
When things get confirmed we will let you know. Thank you for your patience.

From GNR's Facebook just now
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #399 on: August 07, 2013, 03:23:28 AM »

Generally speaking, at this time we have no information on tours, albums, or DVDs.
When things get confirmed we will let you know. Thank you for your patience.

From GNR's Facebook just now

Maybe DVD las Vegas In November @ Anniversary ChineDemo.

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 81 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: