Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:28:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228554 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Remember when ...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remember when ...  (Read 5689 times)
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« on: August 22, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »

I remember watching MTV as a teen, and I loved hearing Kurt Loder "Axl Rose" during the stupid news updates they did through the day. He had kind of a cool way of saying it, like it was something that should make your mother nervous.

Plus it always meant some tidbit on the Illusions albums or tour.

Good memories.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Estranged85
Rocker

Why must it drift away and die?

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »

I was too young back then to see it, but 've seen some of it on youtube. There's one where Axl cuts his hand on his mic stand. But yeah, he does say Axl's name in a special way lol.

Do they even still show the news on MTV?
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »

Funny, I remember sitting in my parents basement, WTTJ was already playing on radio.  The "world premier" globe thing they had on for new videos came up and it was SCOM.  The 2nd that video ended, I jumped in my moms car and went to the record store to buy AFD. Thought it was the best song i had ever heard, and still is my favorite song by any artist today.  Cats in the cradle being a VERY close 2nd
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »

Good memory slashsbaconpit.

Around 50 minutes past the hour, MTV would cut in with its news segment. About 1991 and 92 it may as well have been called the "What did Axl Rose do today?" news. They were the biggest band in the world and never failed to make headlines. Something that seems to be missing from rock these days.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:05:42 PM »

my memories are of live at the ritz first.tapeing it and still have it to this day.i fell instantly in love with the band.
seeing welcome to the jungle on mtv was awesome the first time too.

the one an only horsey !
MsRocknrolla
Opening Act

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »

I always liked Kurt Loder. He always reported the news with some interesting subtext.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:18:17 PM by MsRocknrolla » Logged
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »

This can be a cool thread about reminicing on little things you used to do or see when you first got into GN'R, that brings back good memories.  peace

For me, before the days of youtube etc... I used to scan the internet looking for any kind of GN'R related videos, or demo versions of songs such as Jungle. I remember when I came across a cool retro looking webpage that contained demos to songs such as SCOM, WTTJ and NR..... I thought it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO cool.  Grin

It's funny looking back at those times (2004), when now everything is so readily available, and ofcourse with the introduction of platforms such as youtube etc.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:40:38 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »

I still love talking about the wild wild west that was gnronline.com.  Most fun fan forum I have ever been a part of.  It was hilarious.  Gnronline was also the first place I saw the WTTJ live video.  RIP Gnronline.com. 
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »

I still love talking about the wild wild west that was gnronline.com.  Most fun fan forum I have ever been a part of.  It was hilarious.  Gnronline was also the first place I saw the WTTJ live video.  RIP Gnronline.com. 

I remember that place!

The Loder thing is just funny to me, because every time the name "Axl Rose" comes up in my brain, it's in Loder's voice. Perhaps I have Loderaxlverbalizationitus or something.

Also, remember the time they gave away Axl's apartment on MTV? That commercial was a fun memory as well!

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »

This can be a cool thread about reminicing on little things you used to do or see when you first got into GN'R, that brings back good memories.  peace

For me, before the days of youtube etc... I used to scan the internet looking for any kind of GN'R related videos, or demo versions of songs such as Jungle. I remember when I came across a cool retro looking webpage that contained demos to songs such as SCOM, WTTJ and NR..... I thought it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO cool.  Grin

It's funny looking back at those times (2004), when now everything is so readily available, and ofcourse with the introduction of platforms such as youtube etc.
Everything is readily available today.  I used to spend so much cash on ebay buying up all the bootlegs.  The craziest one was spending $100 on unwanted illusions
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »

Everything is readily available today.  I used to spend so much cash on ebay buying up all the bootlegs.  The craziest one was spending $100 on unwanted illusions

Man I used to make 3-4 trips to the post office weekly, shipping vhs, cassettes, cd's

Good times
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »

Haha I bought that one on Ebay too!  I probably bid against you at some point on other albums.  I remember when the first Vegas HOB show went up on Ebay.  I bought it directly from the seller instead of through Ebay for $25.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »

remember when they trashed the stage on headbangersball.loved it and still have it somewere.

the one an only horsey !
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 03:35:27 AM »

Man I used to make 3-4 trips to the post office weekly, shipping vhs, cassettes, cd's

Good times
They were good times indeed, even downloading GN'R videos on limewire was a huge buzz. And I remember wanting to see the performance of the 2002 vma's so bad, and couldn't find it anywhere. And one day I came across an Italian fan site which had it in 6 parts, it was like I found the holy grail, I was ecstatic.  Grin
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 06:11:31 AM »

I remember watching on MTV news Axl running by a crew in Brasil and knocking the camera down.It's on yt... hihi
I thought,"wow this is a rock singer !"  Grin I was already a fan but after that it hit me even more.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
gnrfan1797
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 07:42:13 AM »

I like to collect gnr things so I don't mind paying
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 04:00:04 AM »

The first GNR song i heard was Rocket Queen coming out of my sisters room when I was a kid. I loved it and instantly loved Guns N' Roses.

I remember the the Kurt Loder Interviews, The MTV Elton John Performance, the world premiere of SCOM video, the world premiere of November Rain video and seeing them live in August of 92 very fondly. Though there is a special place in my heart for The MTV VMAS in 2002. I had not even seen the message board but had the new album page Favorited and was always rechecking it. I was losing faith that Guns N' Roses would ever really come back. I was sick and stayed home from work and was half asleep watching the VMA's. When Jimmy Fallon came out in a GNR shirt, I jumped out of bed and just loved every second. Even though it wasn't the greatest performance, that one just made it real for me that GNR could come back and be back so it was really awesome.

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 06:07:44 AM »

i've told the story somewhere on here before about how i was too poor to have cable growing up but then i had an asthma attack in second grade which i ended up hospitalized for and guess what... the hospital had cable with mtv!!!  anyway it was the first time i got to see music videos like welcome to the jungle and paradise city so of course i was hooked instantly.  i still remember after we eventually got cable watching guns n roses perform you could be mine on an award show and my step dad calling axl a piece of shit and making me change the channel... from that point on i was like, 'guns n roses are fucking awesome'  hihi

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
BumbleBuzz
Rocker

Guns N' Roses Strong Since 1999!

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »

My friend calling me in Portugal and telling me that GNR had just closed the VMA show...I was on holiday in a villa that didn't even have TV...and he wanted to inform me....

You should defo check out the News videos from MTV in the early 90s, GNR were on the road for like three years, and they made every day count...the money flowed like water on that tour....

Actually, I remember one special they did, in 1993...the band must have been in Greece...and they were just wasted, introducing videos and being like "where the fuck are we now?"

I suppose at least the technicians and the loaders got to buy houses and retire on the money they earned with GNR over several years...nearest thing to a full time job you can get in that Industry

2006.06.09 - Dublin, Ireland
2006.07.29 - London, England
2010.09.01 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.17 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.23 - Newcastle, England
2017.07.17 - London, England
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »

Let Kurt know on Twitter @kurt_loder how much you liked his reporting.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: