Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:20:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228555 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Album Premiere: Slash, 'Apocalyptic Love' (Deluxe) Exclusive Stream
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Album Premiere: Slash, 'Apocalyptic Love' (Deluxe) Exclusive Stream  (Read 9817 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 10:15:14 PM »

If u don't think Anastasia kicks ass, u need to stop listening to rock music and enjoy your Coldplay records.

I couldn't get through it, reminded me too much of some of the aimless meadering of the UYI era Slash.

Ryfkm?
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:01 PM »

Aimless meandering during the illusion era Shocked like what, any examples?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:50:25 PM by Top-Hatted One » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »

If u don't think Anastasia kicks ass, u need to stop listening to rock music and enjoy your Coldplay records.

I couldn't get through it, reminded me too much of some of the aimless meadering of the UYI era Slash.

Ryfkm?

Nope, not kidding.

Aimless meandering during the illusion era Shocked like what?

Not song specific really, the longer/overblown crap in general from those records - just not my thing.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 10:59:19 PM »

Like Don't Damn me, Coma, DTJ & Locomotive? Damn I love Slash's playing in those songs
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:38:19 PM by Top-Hatted One » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 11:28:11 PM »

yeah it totally did that for me to, i happen to think the Illusions were Slash's best work so I didn't mind it but i can see how it turns some people off. 

It is definitely not a well structured song.  There is no need for that thing to be clocking in over 6 minutes.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 11:32:58 PM »

I love the live jam out song... True, its basically a cool classical thing with a couple versus, choruses, then some monster riffage and soloing surrounding it, see DTJ, Estranged, PC,RQ, SCOM, etc that have a ton of solo time.  I love it.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »

Like Don't Damn me, Coma & Locomotive? Damn I love Slash's playing in those songs

All the above ...and more, not a fan of that era at all.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 11:50:03 PM »

I see. Me personally as a fan of guitar I can't get enough of endless wanking. as a fan of Buckethead & Marty Friedman
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:57:19 PM by Top-Hatted One » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 12:38:15 AM »

Slash is on a really high level guitar wise at the moment. Not sure if their is an equal. His playing is badass though and that is why I like the album.
Eddie Van Halen supposedly sounds amazing live these days.  And his playing on "A Different Kind of Truth" is kick ass.  He too is sober now, as far as I know.  Goes to show you.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 07:42:26 AM »

Eddie and Slash both have average singers.  Roth has no range at all anymore.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 07:48:39 AM »

Eddie and Slash both have average singers.  Roth has no range at all anymore.

that doesn't matter when you have the dude who practically invented the term "front man" singing for your band.  I saw Van Halen at the Garden, they were great.  Never in a million years would I ever lump DLR in with Myles Kennedy.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:03 AM »

Like Don't Damn me, Coma & Locomotive? Damn I love Slash's playing in those songs

I've never understood this. UYI constitutes almost 50% of the band's output. This is the only band I can think of where people dislike nearly half of the band's material, but still bother to post in their forums. Undecided
Not saying you're wrong to not be a fan of that stuff, but it just confuses me.
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »

I don't want to hear him try to be Jeff Beck.

Hell no. Jeff Beck has sunk to some pretty embarrassing levels in the past. I don't want or expect Slash to completely change, personally. I just find that the best musicians grow naturally and walk a fine line between varying their sound and keeping all of the essential elements that makes it them.

I suppose what I respect about Beck is that he really doesn't care what you or anyone else think, he will follow his muse, so to speak.  Don't get me wrong, I  enjoy Slash's sound (for the most part), but it's not like I'm going to be wanting to play his albums to anyone who is not a fan, though I am hopeful that one day that may change. 

That said, with every release it becomes increasingly obvious that he falls into the ACDC or Ramones territory in that he has one aesthetic that he goes for and will very likely stay that way unless someone pushes him to do something different (VR or GnR). 

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »

I've never understood this. UYI constitutes almost 50% of the band's output. This is the only band I can think of where people dislike nearly half of the band's material, but still bother to post in their forums. Undecided
Not saying you're wrong to not be a fan of that stuff, but it just confuses me.

yeah it confuses me too.  I don't think I would be as big a Guns N Roses fan without the "Illusions."  "Appetite" certainly couldn't have gotten me through the wait for "Chinese Democracy" that is for sure.

This is straying off topic, but I really hate how GNR and Slash's  legacy centers around "Appetite."  I am a much bigger fan of the "Use Your Illusion" set than "Appetite" especially lyrically and guitar wise.  Don't get me wrong "Appetite" is a great record and I see its commercial appeal being greater than the "Illusions" as the songs are simpler and easier to get into.  The "Illusions" is kind of like "CD" where it takes an investment from the listener to really appreciate everything that is going on. 

Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

Yea I dont get it either. Appetite hada lot of slash "noodling" look at sweet child 4 major riffs  solos in one song alone yet the album is heralded as possibly the greatest rock record of alltime. Slashoverplaying on the illusions is just a dillusional statement
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: