Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 06:50:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228135 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1598296 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5840 on: December 17, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »

So...AFD suffered some interesting issues right from the get go with mastering, due to the technology at the time....in that all the masters (and Diament really did a great job...HIS work on the AFD CD master holds up even today with much better tech available) were from analog studio tapes (no way around that), and then  were converted, AGAIN, to a "lossy" tape format, which was then used to drive plant production (which was stupid, but true). That's just the way it was done for CD's, at the dawn of their existence. And there is, unfortunately, a good bit of loss associated with that process.  Since they used the "tape" (actually a 3/4 video tape, containing a digital audio stream of the album) master to produce the glass master, so the sound is sort of...rough. Rougher (and even "cooler") than you would expect for a CD today (though the vinyl sounds amazing, with a good pressing, and, still, is my favorite way to listen to the tracks when I can...but not too practical for my car!).  Now, some people like that "garage recording" sound..but many (most?) do not. You can really, really, really hear it in the Treble, but not only there. The "tinniness" on most of the digital/CD versions of the tracks, today, is REALLY grating, especially if you're heard the vinyl versions (or try to compare it with modern recordings). I think Axls voice (and to some extent Izzy's rhythm) are really susceptible to those issues, too. I mean, it's not QUITE Edisons wax cylinders vs modern CD, but its closer than it should be! It gets REALLY muddled in spots, and you totally lose Duffs stellar base in some parts....and that's not the fault of Diament's master, but a fault in the standard operating procedure of production of CD's at that time.   And you'd think GH would have at least used the original studio analog recordings to generate new (cleaner) versions of those songs, applying Barry's master,but...nope...they used the "old" lossy masters of the AFD tracks to transfer to GH, with minimal (if any) clean up. They literally did not TOUCH the 2 channel compressed mix down. It's just messy.
Won't quote your entire post, but I read everything (and I love to read those technical details about records Smiley )

I wasn't aware of the lossy quality on AFD's CD, but what I said wasn't really about quality, but more about the "original sound". Even if it's worse quality, people got attached to that sound and maybe prefer it over an enhanced version just like people still prefers Star Wars' "despecialized" versions (I know, I know, the changes there were abnormal, but I think you'll understand the point). I can speak for myself: even though I listened the LPs at friends house, I only had it on cheap tapes (60 min, with Nightrain's ending cut in the A side). So I only got my proper quality version of AFD with the CD version in 1995 and that's the sound I became used to.

There is another problem. Those rereleases often are worse than the original, with half-assed restaurations. Again, the Star Wars blu-rays had some serious issues with colors. Even in high quality and 1080p, I still prefer the despecialized version in 720p. So keep in mind that we could still get an AFD remaster/remix with not welcomed alterations. Say they can get rid of the extra reverb in Adler's drums in Rocket Queen - would you still want it? 

Greetings from Europe. We are smart and rich but still very passionate here as well. No, we don't have it anything like somewhere in South America. We still know our craft.
Not sure why the cheap shot to South America. As far as I know, Europa got the same gigs we had here in the last 15 years, maybe even more because 2002 and 2006 there were no SA tour.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5841 on: December 17, 2016, 10:23:17 AM »

So...AFD suffered some interesting issues right from the get go with mastering, due to the technology at the time....in that all the masters (and Diament really did a great job...HIS work on the AFD CD master holds up even today with much better tech available) were from analog studio tapes (no way around that), and then  were converted, AGAIN, to a "lossy" tape format, which was then used to drive plant production (which was stupid, but true). That's just the way it was done for CD's, at the dawn of their existence. And there is, unfortunately, a good bit of loss associated with that process.  Since they used the "tape" (actually a 3/4 video tape, containing a digital audio stream of the album) master to produce the glass master, so the sound is sort of...rough. Rougher (and even "cooler") than you would expect for a CD today (though the vinyl sounds amazing, with a good pressing, and, still, is my favorite way to listen to the tracks when I can...but not too practical for my car!).  Now, some people like that "garage recording" sound..but many (most?) do not. You can really, really, really hear it in the Treble, but not only there. The "tinniness" on most of the digital/CD versions of the tracks, today, is REALLY grating, especially if you're heard the vinyl versions (or try to compare it with modern recordings). I think Axls voice (and to some extent Izzy's rhythm) are really susceptible to those issues, too. I mean, it's not QUITE Edisons wax cylinders vs modern CD, but its closer than it should be! It gets REALLY muddled in spots, and you totally lose Duffs stellar base in some parts....and that's not the fault of Diament's master, but a fault in the standard operating procedure of production of CD's at that time.   And you'd think GH would have at least used the original studio analog recordings to generate new (cleaner) versions of those songs, applying Barry's master,but...nope...they used the "old" lossy masters of the AFD tracks to transfer to GH, with minimal (if any) clean up. They literally did not TOUCH the 2 channel compressed mix down. It's just messy.
Won't quote your entire post, but I read everything (and I love to read those technical details about records Smiley )

I wasn't aware of the lossy quality on AFD's CD, but what I said wasn't really about quality, but more about the "original sound". Even if it's worse quality, people got attached to that sound and maybe prefer it over an enhanced version just like people still prefers Star Wars' "despecialized" versions (I know, I know, the changes there were abnormal, but I think you'll understand the point). I can speak for myself: even though I listened the LPs at friends house, I only had it on cheap tapes (60 min, with Nightrain's ending cut in the A side). So I only got my proper quality version of AFD with the CD version in 1995 and that's the sound I became used to.

There is another problem. Those rereleases often are worse than the original, with half-assed restaurations. Again, the Star Wars blu-rays had some serious issues with colors. Even in high quality and 1080p, I still prefer the despecialized version in 720p. So keep in mind that we could still get an AFD remaster/remix with not welcomed alterations. Say they can get rid of the extra reverb in Adler's drums in Rocket Queen - would you still want it? 

Greetings from Europe. We are smart and rich but still very passionate here as well. No, we don't have it anything like somewhere in South America. We still know our craft.
Not sure why the cheap shot to South America. As far as I know, Europa got the same gigs we had here in the last 15 years, maybe even more because 2002 and 2006 there were no SA tour.

I agree there is a chance they could "ruin" it.....though unlike things like star wars, you would always still have the original afd sku to buy if you prefer.

I was just pointing out that, really, they could remaster it with very few changes...just to make the sound cleaner....and i think most folks would be happy!

I see the risk.....but theres so much potential for reward. And it wouldvseem like, if they have any interest in retouching it, this would be the time!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #5842 on: December 17, 2016, 10:38:25 AM »

funny. this thread is almost 5 YEARS old. and nothing has changed at all since it started. just some random thoughts that are running for at least a decade. confused

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5843 on: December 17, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »

I agree there is a chance they could "ruin" it.....though unlike things like star wars, you would always still have the original afd sku to buy if you prefer.

I was just pointing out that, really, they could remaster it with very few changes...just to make the sound cleaner....and i think most folks would be happy!

I see the risk.....but theres so much potential for reward. And it wouldvseem like, if they have any interest in retouching it, this would be the time!
I agree, it's different. That's why I pointed out before that that would be nice to keep the originals at hand in any case.

Sure the more releases, the better. Different from most people, I wouldn't dislike that rerecorded AFD. It's not offensive if it's not replacing anything (unlike Star Wars did).

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5844 on: December 17, 2016, 11:58:22 AM »

Silkworms
* Written by Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman.
* Played live.
* Axl: Has a lot of guitars, lots of different drum the chorus is gone.
* Chris: It ended up being this incredible track that sounded like Guns N' Roses 10 or 15 years in the future. It was so far removed from our other songs that we had to put it in this other place. Concept-wise, it didn't fit with Chinese Democracy. We hope we will have other songs that match that kind of futuristic sound. It's a really exciting track because it morphs into this crazy sound, but it was out so much in the other direction that we have to let time catch up with it.
* Dizzy on writing Silkworms with Chris: Umm... it was passed back and forth on our computers.
Funny, the song is 15 years old and still sounds nothing like Guns N' Roses. hihi

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #5845 on: December 20, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »

Silkworms
* Played live.
* Chris: It ended up being this incredible track that sounded like Guns N' Roses 10 or 15 years in the future. It was so far removed from our other songs that we had to put it in this other place. Concept-wise, it didn't fit with Chinese Democracy. We hope we will have other songs that match that kind of futuristic sound. It's a really exciting track because it morphs into this crazy sound, but it was out so much in the other direction that we have to let time catch up with it.
* Dizzy on writing Silkworms with Chris: Umm... it was passed back and forth on our computers.
Funny, the song is 15 years old and still sounds nothing like Guns N' Roses. hihi

To me, Shackler's Revenge largely has the same futuristic sound as Silkworms peace

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #5846 on: December 20, 2016, 09:48:17 AM »

Silkworms
* Played live.

To me, Shackler's Revenge largely has the same futuristic sound as Silkworms peace

Yes. And both suck big time.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5847 on: December 20, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »

'Shackler's Revenge' is far catchier and melodic than 'Silkworms'.

But they are also both answers to "give me a GNR song that doens't sound like Guns N' Roses", so I'm sure most people don't take it any further than that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #5848 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »

Where does Oh My God rank?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5849 on: December 20, 2016, 10:28:47 AM »

I actually think there is a pretty decent song under all that noise, but that mix is far too busy.

But if you played it for someone, cold, I think the response is something along the lines of "It almost sounds like Axl Rose" before being mislabeld "one of those 'Chinese Democracy' songs" and dismissed.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #5850 on: December 20, 2016, 11:12:25 AM »

I actually think there is a pretty decent song under all that noise, but that mix is far too busy.

But if you played it for someone, cold, I think the response is something along the lines of "It almost sounds like Axl Rose" before being mislabeld "one of those 'Chinese Democracy' songs" and dismissed.

I was just listening to RIRIII and I really like the live version of OMG.  There's the (unintentional?) acapella by Axl at the end and you get to really hear his voice, which is a darker, grittier version than what we were used to, but still sounds good.  I wish this song would get re-introduced at some point.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5851 on: December 20, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »

I was just listening to RIRIII and I really like the live version of OMG.  There's the (unintentional?) acapella by Axl at the end and you get to really hear his voice, which is a darker, grittier version than what we were used to, but still sounds good.  I wish this song would get re-introduced at some point.

Yes I really love this live performace of this song.    I totally u would welcome hearing it live again
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5852 on: December 20, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »

Sounds unintentional. The Vegas version has the regular ending.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5853 on: December 20, 2016, 06:23:19 PM »

Absolutely uninentional.

He misses his cue and starts his last bit late.  But the band plays it like normal.  They stop where they are supposed to, but Axl is bit behind with one more more line left.

But, as many others have said...unintentional or not, it sounds badass.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5854 on: December 20, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »

Absolutely uninentional.

He misses his cue and starts his last bit late.  But the band plays it like normal.  They stop where they are supposed to, but Axl is bit behind with one more more line left.

I love hearing non polished new original material.   That was very cool to hear.   Was a very cool time to be a fan of the band
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #5855 on: December 21, 2016, 02:00:58 AM »

similarly unintentional was messup of Nightrain at Pukkelpop 2002. I also loved that one! Cheesy

The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #5856 on: December 21, 2016, 06:39:00 AM »

Absolutely uninentional.

I love hearing non polished new original material.   That was very cool to hear.   Was a very cool time to be a fan of the band
For me Leeds 2002 was the best show as an experience having Amen, Puddle of Mudd, NoFX and Incubus (who were shit)  Slipknot, Offspring and the Prodigy warm the crowd up, coupled with the rumours of a no show being on the cards, followed by a killer show that has rants and advice to to promoter to not cut short the show meant the day was truly an edgy one... ok And a great setlist

Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Live and Let Die
Think About You
You Could Be Mine
Sweet Child O' Mine
Heaven's Door
Out Ta Get Me
Madagascar
Buckethead Guitar Solo
November Rain
The Blues)
Patience
Rocket Queen
Nightrain
Encore:
Robin Finck Guitar Solo
Paradise City
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5857 on: December 21, 2016, 09:07:36 AM »

But they are also both answers to "give me a GNR song that doens't sound like Guns N' Roses", so I'm sure most people don't take it any further than that.

....and Shacklers is a fucking BLAST to play on Rock Band. Wink

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5858 on: December 21, 2016, 09:27:21 AM »

I thought 2001-02 was a very cool time to be a fan.  You seemed to have all these possibilities and it was exciting. 

I still say that first time I heard the new songs at RIR III (especially 'Madagascar') was one of the coolest moments in all my years of GNR fandom

Got less exciting as time wore on and you saw there wasn't even a hint of a plan forward, and seemed to be very little excitement or drive on Axl's part to get the show on the road.

I think that feeling returned in 2006, before those same drawbacks ensued.  But we got some great concerts that year.

But then, by the time it finally came out in 2008, the reaction was more, "oh yeah...that thing."  The thrill was gone.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5859 on: December 21, 2016, 09:27:57 AM »

....and Shacklers is a fucking BLAST to play on Rock Band. Wink

I liked it from the first time I heard it and still do.  I think it's a pretty snappy tune with a great vocal from Axl.

Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: