Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 07:08:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228143 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1599687 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5780 on: December 15, 2016, 07:38:39 AM »

My guess:

We get a remastered AFD 30 this summer, with a new bonus track or two on it. Possibly packaged with (or one of the options having it packaged with) a DVD/BluRay of the NITL tour.

And then, depending on how that goes, more new music about 12 to 18 months later.

I DO think that, for those really jonesing for new music....that this band really needed to get out there, share the stage, and get their groove back before there was ANY chance they were going to write or record new stuff together.  I think we're just about there, now. 

I think the new tour dates are indicative that this has worked out well, and they're amenable to continuing the relationship. I also think it's telling that, ORIGINALLY, we had all heard the plan was for Slash to rejoin Miles Kennedy and the Conspirators this year to support a new album (that they were going to record last May). None of that, reportedly, has happened....and Kennedy (besides working more with Alter Bridge) is working on a "solo album".  I don' think ANY of that happens if the Guns stuff isn't going well, and, quite frankly, I think that no MK+C material means Slash is planning (or is working on) material for GnR, instead. 

But I think you have to look at it like...if they start recording in the new year (maybe during that gap in March/April/May?), we might see a couple tracks this year, but MOST of it would probably be released in 2018, at the earliest.

IF my guess is right, you might see one (or both) of those bonus tracks played during the summer months to coincide with the AFD 30 remaster. Maybe.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #5781 on: December 15, 2016, 07:56:06 AM »

pilferk, what you write, makes perfect sense. the problem is, in GNR world, things never go according to plans, logic or common sense. so we'll see.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5782 on: December 15, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »

pilferk, what you write, makes perfect sense. the problem is, in GNR world, things never go according to plans, logic or common sense. so we'll see.

Prior to early 2016.....I would have 100% agreed with you. The only thing you could expect from GnR was for everything to be totally unexpected.

BUT, since January of 2016, things seem to have gone off about 99% according to plan (the Jimmy Kimmel appearance being the one exception), and like you would expect for a "normal" band.  The dealings, plans, and goings on have been so instilled with logic, common sense, and pretty detailed strategy.

So, as you said, we'll see. But I'm a lot more hopeful THIS year, on December 15th (and certainly than I was, say, in SEPTEMBER of 2015) 2016, than I was last year!!

I just look at what's gone on, and, so far, this looks to me like it's going according to what I WOULD have expected the timeline to be....

Together again,
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5783 on: December 15, 2016, 09:01:12 AM »

Never were truer words spoken! Not sure we'd actually want it any other way though, when it comes down to it!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5784 on: December 15, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »

I'm convinced that any Guns N' Roses "fans" who are still griping or are unsatisfied with how things stand right now are quite literally incapable of being satisfied in any way or, ya know, feeling joy.  It's comical as it is bizarre.  It's like they're not having fun unless they're finding something wrong with GNR.  What's funny to me are those who swore up and down that if Axl just mended fences with Slash, they'd be ok with things, are some of the same people crapping their lunacy on the forums today.

I share your complete amazement that anyone could be anything but thrilled with how 2016 has gone for us.  You gotta really work overtime to find fault with all this.

But I have a slightly different read on those that are unhappy.  I think those that are, and are vocal about it, resent the shit out of all these fans coming back into the fold.  I think, as they see it, the "real fans" stuck with Axl though that whole misadventure.  And people that stopped paying attention for however long didn't pay their dues like the "real fans" did.  And they don't like how so many can so easily just ignore 1995-2015.

Me?  I couldn't be happier.  Didn't make me happy seeing my favorite band reduced to playing small ass residencies where they still had to paper the house.  But this year has made me VERY happy, seeing sold out stadiums of fans going crazy.

I knew there were still a shit ton of GNR fans out there.  They just weren't going to roll with a Slash-less line-up.  Even though I could, I repect that choice.  Some can't.

This year was like a big 'ol class reunion at these shows.  It was great to see everyone again.  And who cared who said what about who in the interim?  We're back!

I feel mixed about this- I probably do look down my nose a bit at 'fans' who seem to be coming out of the woodwork, but that to me is based more on a genuine love of the CD era. I'm not faking that, or putting on a brave face or whatever- I loved it. I loved the shows, the ups and downs, the style of all the 'new' members- and most especially, I loved Chinese Democracy itself. I honestly believe it's a masterpiece of an album- and one that will stand the test of time and be appreciated more in years down the line. I know lots of people don't agree with me, that's cool, but I loved all of it.

I'm also over the moon about the last year- its fantastic, and I cant wait for next June when the tour hits Europe and I get to see it for myself. I think my annoyance comes from having to deal with all sorts of morons who would happily tell me "oh Axl is a wanker, the new stuff is shit"- without ever actually listening to Chinese. I was at a wedding once sharing a table with some tosser, talk turned to music, I said I was a big Guns fan- he started laying into how shit their new album was, said stuff like "it;s all just rip offs of November Rain" and stuff. Debate carried on until he admitted that he'd never actually listened to the album (!!!) to which I said "why the fuck are you wasting my time telling me how much you hate an album you admit to never having heard?" It really angered me, especially as he said "yeah I used to love Guns". The thought that that cunt will now feel happy and in some way 'justified' does piss me off. But fuck it- let him sing along to SCOM. He clearly gets nothing from the band.

I think, looking at people like him, sadly there IS no demand for new music, be it unreleased CD era stuff, or stuff with Slash and Duff. It's not really wanted outside of boards like this- and that's part of a wider debate that takes in nostalgia, people's desire to relive their youth, and the state of the music industry in general. It saddens me greatly, as personally I would take so much value from new material, but there we go.

There's some interesting quotes from Axl around the time of the Illusion recording where he says stuff along the lines of "yeah, Ill always record, but if people don't actually want it, then fuck it, I wont let them have it" (Ill dig out the exact quote later)- and I think that rings more true than ever. How sad is it that he's probably writing and recording often, and we might never hear it?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5785 on: December 15, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »

Prior to early 2016.....I would have 100% agreed with you. The only thing you could expect from GnR was for everything to be totally unexpected.

BUT, since January of 2016, things seem to have gone off about 99% according to plan (the Jimmy Kimmel appearance being the one exception), and like you would expect for a "normal" band.  The dealings, plans, and goings on have been so instilled with logic, common sense, and pretty detailed strategy.

So, as you said, we'll see. But I'm a lot more hopeful THIS year, on December 15th (and certainly than I was, say, in SEPTEMBER of 2015) 2016, than I was last year!!

I just look at what's gone on, and, so far, this looks to me like it's going according to what I WOULD have expected the timeline to be....

Lets see where we are Dec 15th 2017.  1 year from now.

I have a bad feeling it will be the exact same, for any fan, that wants more original music
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5786 on: December 15, 2016, 09:58:24 AM »

I'm convinced that any Guns N' Roses "fans" who are still griping or are unsatisfied with how things stand right now are quite literally incapable of being satisfied in any way or, ya know, feeling joy.  It's comical as it is bizarre.  It's like they're not having fun unless they're finding something wrong with GNR.  What's funny to me are those who swore up and down that if Axl just mended fences with Slash, they'd be ok with things, are some of the same people crapping their lunacy on the forums today.

I share your complete amazement that anyone could be anything but thrilled with how 2016 has gone for us.  You gotta really work overtime to find fault with all this.

But I have a slightly different read on those that are unhappy.  I think those that are, and are vocal about it, resent the shit out of all these fans coming back into the fold.  I think, as they see it, the "real fans" stuck with Axl though that whole misadventure.  And people that stopped paying attention for however long didn't pay their dues like the "real fans" did.  And they don't like how so many can so easily just ignore 1995-2015.

Me?  I couldn't be happier.  Didn't make me happy seeing my favorite band reduced to playing small ass residencies where they still had to paper the house.  But this year has made me VERY happy, seeing sold out stadiums of fans going crazy.

I knew there were still a shit ton of GNR fans out there.  They just weren't going to roll with a Slash-less line-up.  Even though I could, I repect that choice.  Some can't.

This year was like a big 'ol class reunion at these shows.  It was great to see everyone again.  And who cared who said what about who in the interim?  We're back!

I feel mixed about this- I probably do look down my nose a bit at 'fans' who seem to be coming out of the woodwork, but that to me is based more on a genuine love of the CD era. I'm not faking that, or putting on a brave face or whatever- I loved it. I loved the shows, the ups and downs, the style of all the 'new' members- and most especially, I loved Chinese Democracy itself. I honestly believe it's a masterpiece of an album- and one that will stand the test of time and be appreciated more in years down the line. I know lots of people don't agree with me, that's cool, but I loved all of it.

I'm also over the moon about the last year- its fantastic, and I cant wait for next June when the tour hits Europe and I get to see it for myself. I think my annoyance comes from having to deal with all sorts of morons who would happily tell me "oh Axl is a wanker, the new stuff is shit"- without ever actually listening to Chinese. I was at a wedding once sharing a table with some tosser, talk turned to music, I said I was a big Guns fan- he started laying into how shit their new album was, said stuff like "it;s all just rip offs of November Rain" and stuff. Debate carried on until he admitted that he'd never actually listened to the album (!!!) to which I said "why the fuck are you wasting my time telling me how much you hate an album you admit to never having heard?" It really angered me, especially as he said "yeah I used to love Guns". The thought that that cunt will now feel happy and in some way 'justified' does piss me off. But fuck it- let him sing along to SCOM. He clearly gets nothing from the band.

I think, looking at people like him, sadly there IS no demand for new music, be it unreleased CD era stuff, or stuff with Slash and Duff. It's not really wanted outside of boards like this- and that's part of a wider debate that takes in nostalgia, people's desire to relive their youth, and the state of the music industry in general. It saddens me greatly, as personally I would take so much value from new material, but there we go.

There's some interesting quotes from Axl around the time of the Illusion recording where he says stuff along the lines of "yeah, Ill always record, but if people don't actually want it, then fuck it, I wont let them have it" (Ill dig out the exact quote later)- and I think that rings more true than ever. How sad is it that he's probably writing and recording often, and we might never hear it?

You really think Axl is recording lyrics often??
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5787 on: December 15, 2016, 10:34:19 AM »

We get a remastered AFD 30 this summer, with a new bonus track or two on it. Possibly packaged with (or one of the options having it packaged with) a DVD/BluRay of the NITL tour.
Intersting insights as always, pilferk.

Some things to think about the above quote:

- Not everybody likes the remastering of classics, so I recommend to keep the original recordings. I know, I know, nobody will throw away their CDs and LPs, but if you're like me and prefer the easy of listening to the songs on Spotify, save the originals somewhere just in case.

- They don't even have to record anything now to release a bonus track. For all we know, they could finally release Ain't Goin' Down with maybe some overdubs or remix (of course I'm not talking about drum machines). Of course the unreleased track has been out there for years, but it happens all the time with those rereleases: the casual fans don't know about it and it would sound new to them. I do like the track, but Im sure a real new song could be so much better even without Izzy (and Steven for that matter).

- The DVD/bluray alone could be made under the AFD 30th anniversary banner. I mean, they could skip the remaster and rerelease and just focus on the live gigs and decent interviews with Axl, Slash and Duff about the album and how the tracks are still being played.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5788 on: December 15, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »

Yeah. I do. I think he rarely shares what he does, but I really do think he's always writing and working. He's always been known as hardworking- moving into the studio, working long hours for years on CD- I don't imagine that's stopped, but that its going on behind closed doors, on a personal level. Who knows, maybe confidence also comes into play? I just cant see him doing nothing- it doesn't fit with what we know from the past.

I'd be willing to wager there's vaults of stuff hes written, which of course we'll probably never hear in his/our lifetime.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5789 on: December 15, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »

Yeah. I do. I think he rarely shares what he does, but I really do think he's always writing and working. He's always been known as hardworking- moving into the studio, working long hours for years on CD- I don't imagine that's stopped, but that its going on behind closed doors, on a personal level. Who knows, maybe confidence also comes into play? I just cant see him doing nothing- it doesn't fit with what we know from the past.

I'd be willing to wager there's vaults of stuff hes written, which of course we'll probably never hear in his/our lifetime.

During the recording of CD almost all of Axls studio time was tracked.   

I haven't heard about him being in the studio for the longest time.   

So you are right, he may be for all anyone knows, but it would have to be a very private studio

A studio where he just lays down vocals, because the other thing we havnt heard about is band members going into a studio and recording parts.....

I personally don't think he has recorded anything since the last CD era recording sessions.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5790 on: December 15, 2016, 11:15:08 AM »

- Not everybody likes the remastering of classics, so I recommend to keep the original recordings. I know, I know, nobody will throw away their CDs and LPs, but if you're like me and prefer the easy of listening to the songs on Spotify, save the originals somewhere just in case.

- They don't even have to record anything now to release a bonus track. For all we know, they could finally release Ain't Goin' Down with maybe some overdubs or remix (of course I'm not talking about drum machines). Of course the unreleased track has been out there for years, but it happens all the time with those rereleases: the casual fans don't know about it and it would sound new to them. I do like the track, but Im sure a real new song could be so much better even without Izzy (and Steven for that matter).

- The DVD/bluray alone could be made under the AFD 30th anniversary banner. I mean, they could skip the remaster and rerelease and just focus on the live gigs and decent interviews with Axl, Slash and Duff about the album and how the tracks are still being played.

A blue ray, with some interviews would be great.

Why give away the bands story and interview for free on a tv interview, when they can charge for it on a blue ray

I would pay
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5791 on: December 15, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »

This.  The band is "big time" now.  As in the top selling tour of 2016 big.  This ain't us hoping we'll finally get Chinese Democracy II after the 4th Vegas residency with Bumblefoot.  As a big time touring band, IF they want to keep the machine well oiled and running, they'll need to re-brand eventually to tour and make the big money again.  This will no doubt come in the form of the first original GNR album featuring SLASH & DUFF since 1991.  I would think & hope that opportunity is just too attractive for all involved to not do.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5792 on: December 15, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »

I have a bad feeling it will be the exact same, for any fan, that wants more original music

ONE year from now....I'm still good. Especially if you consider they'd likely be recording in the "gap" in March/April/May...which would probably mean a 2018 release. The "bonus" tracks is just my pet theory....and I don't think their lack of appearance on an AFD 30 is a game changer in terms of "new music eventually".

TWO years from now?  Then I think we can start to wonder whether or not "soon" is ever going to be the word again.

Together again,
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5793 on: December 15, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »

For all we know they could be laying down some stuff in the studio between now and the Japanese dates, and returning to the studio again during the break this Spring.   We just don't know.  Point is, with things going as well as they have so far I think anything is possible if the creative juices start flowing.  And they DO live in the same city.  Smiley
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5794 on: December 15, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »

ONE year from now....I'm still good. Especially if you consider they'd likely be recording in the "gap" in March/April/May...which would probably mean a 2018 release. The "bonus" tracks is just my pet theory....and I don't think their lack of appearance on an AFD 30 is a game changer in terms of "new music eventually".

TWO years from now?  Then I think we can start to wonder whether or not "soon" is ever going to be the word again.

No

I already think its been to long

Come one year from now if we still havnt heard anything then its way way way to long for me

If in 1 year if you think its still ok for yourself that's cool.   

If in 2 years you think its still ok, way to go

What if they bring back Izzy in 1 year, then tour with him and play all these same songs every night.  But its Izzy!

Then in 2 years they bring back Steven and tour with him, playing all these same songs again.   Its Steven!   

Ugh.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5795 on: December 15, 2016, 12:14:18 PM »

So you are right, he may be for all anyone knows, but it would have to be a very private studio

A studio where he just lays down vocals, because the other thing we havnt heard about is band members going into a studio and recording parts.....

I personally don't think he has recorded anything since the last CD era recording sessions.

I would be surprised if he didn't have some sort of home set-up, for writing and recording basic demos. I think that's what I have in mind rather than full big studio recording sessions.

During the Illusion recordings I think he practically moved into the studio- oversaw everything at all times apparently.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5796 on: December 15, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »

So...AFD suffered some interesting issues right from the get go with mastering, due to the technology at the time....in that all the masters (and Diament really did a great job...HIS work on the AFD CD master holds up even today with much better tech available) were from analog studio tapes (no way around that), and then  were converted, AGAIN, to a "lossy" tape format, which was then used to drive plant production (which was stupid, but true). That's just the way it was done for CD's, at the dawn of their existence. And there is, unfortunately, a good bit of loss associated with that process.  Since they used the "tape" (actually a 3/4 video tape, containing a digital audio stream of the album) master to produce the glass master, so the sound is sort of...rough. Rougher (and even "cooler") than you would expect for a CD today (though the vinyl sounds amazing, with a good pressing, and, still, is my favorite way to listen to the tracks when I can...but not too practical for my car!).  Now, some people like that "garage recording" sound..but many (most?) do not. You can really, really, really hear it in the Treble, but not only there. The "tinniness" on most of the digital/CD versions of the tracks, today, is REALLY grating, especially if you're heard the vinyl versions (or try to compare it with modern recordings). I think Axls voice (and to some extent Izzy's rhythm) are really susceptible to those issues, too. I mean, it's not QUITE Edisons wax cylinders vs modern CD, but its closer than it should be! It gets REALLY muddled in spots, and you totally lose Duffs stellar base in some parts....and that's not the fault of Diament's master, but a fault in the standard operating procedure of production of CD's at that time.   And you'd think GH would have at least used the original studio analog recordings to generate new (cleaner) versions of those songs, applying Barry's master,but...nope...they used the "old" lossy masters of the AFD tracks to transfer to GH, with minimal (if any) clean up. They literally did not TOUCH the 2 channel compressed mix down. It's just messy.

FYI, here's what Barry Diament had to say about how they created the glass cut for the CD:
The original tapes (i.e. the mixes) were analog.
Like all CD masters created back then, what I sent the plant (or the label in this case) was a CD master in the form of a 3/4" u-matic video tape.
To the best of my knowledge, the plant used this tape (or possibly a clone made at Geffen/Warner) when generating the glass master used for disc replication.
I would imagine global production was from other u-matic clones made at Geffen/Warner. (I certainly hope DAT tapes were not involved.)

"Digital compression"? Not me, ever.
Analog compression? Outside of two instances, both at the insistence of the producer (Freedy Johnston's "Learning to Fly" CD and the cassette - but not the CD - for Pete Townshend's "Psychoderelict") I have never used compression, period.
Of course, I'm pretty sure compression was used in the mixing stage but none at all from the time "Appetite..." got to my hands.

I think the band would love to get another crack at mixing and mastering that album.  Not rerecord...not massively change...just get a clean, digital, pure master from the analog multi track studio sessions (which I guess means a remix) and mess with some of the levels a bit here and there (and, though I'm no fan of "the loudness wars", maybe boost the gain a little on a few tracks....especially stuff like Jungle and Nightrain) in the mix.  I'm not talking about messing with the classics all that much, honestly.  Just clean up the mess that the tech at the time made. The album will sound "new" again..and thats really all it needs.  It's like moving a movie from DVD to Blu Ray from the original source.  This would ALSO have the upside of making that material a little easier (and maybe appealing?) to use for other licensing stuff, IMHO.  AND it's a good project for them all to cut their teeth on working together on, because it's material they already "know and love".  You'd think the give and take would be a bit easier.

That's true.  And I'm sure that's an option, too.  But I THINK they'll put something new on there. Maybe 1+1 (Ain't Going Down and then something brand new)?  I honestly think this could be used as their toe in the water, AND get AFD "back" in prime retail/online space to try to sell a few million more copies.  IMHO, it's a no risk shot at trying to get new music out there.

Like I said: I think there will be at least an OPTION to get it all in one package (Remaster and Blu-Ray). I imagine they might also release the two as seperate skus, so you can buy one, the other, or both as you see fit.

I'd LOVE to see a "Nightrain Collectors Edition".....bundled together with a nice coffee table art book (Then vs now?), maybe a guitar pic, and some other goodies or something.  But now I'm just getting greedy. Wink
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:17:42 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5797 on: December 15, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »

His studio time, payed for by the label, was tracked.

Axl has a pretty killer studio in his home.  No need to use label time to create.

Together again,
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #5798 on: December 15, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »

The Rolling Stones did their last album in Three Days! Just bang the tunes out! peace

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5799 on: December 15, 2016, 02:55:14 PM »

The Rolling Stones did their last album in Three Days! Just bang the tunes out! peace

It was just a covers album though.  ok

It's hard to say just how quickly things could be done for the next album.  If the idea is to simply incorporate Slash & Duff on what's already "in the can" then it could be done in two to three weeks and then onto to mixing/mastering.  However, if they're planning on doing originals....That could take some serious time to put together.  Either way, I'd be shocked if we hear anything definitive about new music until 2018, late 2017 at the earliest. Just don't see it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:57:29 PM by sofine11 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: