Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1678422 times)
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #5660 on: December 08, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »

I sometimes wonder what this band have to do for some fans to be happy.

Even this year's new developments don't seem enough to satisfy people. Axl, Slash and Duff playing together again, a professional, slick World Tour, where so so far everything has gone well, and reviews have been good- but that isn't enough? It honestly beats me what more people expect.

Most major touring bands play the same set every night, the ones that don't are very much in the minority- and usually only manage it because the band hasn't changed in musicians ever/in a long time so are very comfortable. That isn't going to happen with a tour like this- and they are switching bits and pieces around a bit anyway- as much as they presumably can with such a big production.

I do sometimes wonder why people keep coming back to a band that they feel aren't providing what they personally feel they need from a band.

Most major bands do not play 7 cover songs a night.

If they come back to a market 1 year after being very close already, try and change things up.   

What kinda fan would want to hear more original music from the band!!  That's crazy talk!

What kinda fan would want to see a different show after a years time between shows.   A bad fan I guess?

What kinda fan would complain about this?!  Why don't you praise the shows for being great and be happy for what we have!!!!   
\

You have been going on and on about this in every thread. We get your point. However, some people just don't care about that and simply want to see the band live. I am going to see Axl & Slash on the same stage for the first time ever. I don't care if the setlist is exactly the same as when I saw them in 2006. I just want a good show. Does that mean I don't care for new music? No, bullshit. But how long can you go on and on about how you are dissatisfied with the setlist not changing much or containing too many covers? You made your point, let it go. Agree to disagree.

And to throw some gasoline on the already burning fire: I really hope they play Since I Don't Have You some time soon, I love that song!

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5661 on: December 08, 2016, 12:13:25 PM »

Give it a fucking rest. For many fans there are no labels such as cover songs. They don't care. They don't think of Heaven's Door as a Dylan song, it's simply a song that was a huge hit for GN'R. Same goes for Live And Let Die.

You honestly expect us to believe that Heaven's Door would get less votes than say Don't Damn Me, if there was a poll regarding which song should be included in the set and the voters were actual concert goers?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5662 on: December 08, 2016, 12:18:07 PM »

Give it a fucking rest. For many fans there are no labels such as cover songs. They don't care. They don't think of Heaven's Door as a Dylan song, it's simply a song that was a huge hit for GN'R. Same goes for Live And Let Die.

You honestly expect us to believe that Heaven's Door would get less votes than say Don't Damn Me, if there was a poll regarding which song should be included in the set and the voters were actual concert goers?

/jarmo

My point has been made...

But..

I don't think for a second a guns "rare" track would beat out one of these cover songs in a casual concert goers vote.  Not for a second.     

But..

I would love to see a poll for concert goers that plan on going to back to back shows or have seen the show already, that asks....   Would you like something different in the second show??   Would you like to hear more original music in place of the cover songs??   Or would you be happy with anything?   

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:20:24 PM by TheBaconman » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5663 on: December 08, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »

In order for your poll to have any validity, you'd first have to assume most people at that said show were there the night before.

What about the majority who didn't see the show before? Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GNR1977
Opening Act

« Reply #5664 on: December 08, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »

So how about that new album? Grin

05-06-1993 Nijmegen
24-06-2006 Dessel
03-10-2010 Arnhem
04-06-2012 Rotterdam
23-04-2016 Indio, ca
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5665 on: December 08, 2016, 02:35:37 PM »

Even this year's new developments don't seem enough to satisfy people. Axl, Slash and Duff playing together again, a professional, slick World Tour, where so so far everything has gone well, and reviews have been good- but that isn't enough? It honestly beats me what more people expect.

Most major touring bands play the same set every night, the ones that don't are very much in the minority- and usually only manage it because the band hasn't changed in musicians ever/in a long time so are very comfortable. That isn't going to happen with a tour like this- and they are switching bits and pieces around a bit anyway- as much as they presumably can with such a big production.

I do sometimes wonder why people keep coming back to a band that they feel aren't providing what they personally feel they need from a band.

Long ago I said it, and it has proven true:

We could get a full blown reunion, a complete Axl attitude change, regular touring, a solid set list playing old hits and die hard favorites (COMA!!) every night...and some people would still find things to complain about!

I was told, at the time, that I was nuts.  That if all those things happened, pretty much everyone would be happy...except maybe jarmo and Team Brazil.

You can't please everyone, and this fan base, in particular, seems to not be happy unless they are finding something to bitch about.  I'm NOT pointing fingers at anyone specific, here...and I'm not trying to start a fight or call anyone in particular out (so save the combative replies).  But those words look pretty prophetic, at this point.  Because if you read through these threads...we have essentially gotten everything fans asked for, for years...and now we're asking for more/different stuff. *shrug*

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5666 on: December 08, 2016, 02:46:13 PM »

In order for your poll to have any validity, you'd first have to assume most people at that said show were there the night before.

What about the majority who didn't see the show before? Cheesy

/jarmo

My point exactly. This band is as popular as they have been since 1993. For as much touring of the world as they have done since 2001, there are many people who are seeing them either for the first time ever or the first time in over two decades (I know I brought one to Foxboro, he last saw them at The Boston Garden in March of 1993... you met him in the stands all he wanted to talk to you about was the Boston Bruins Swedish Goaltender)... With that said, they need to play for the masses not the small percentage of rabid fans that travel with them like the Grateful Dead.

The thing everyone seems to skip is that the are writing and playing these songs as much for themselves as they are for the fans. They play the songs they enjoy and play songs that have strong/deep meaning to them. They play 3+ hours every night, they play just about every major 'hit' plus they throw us a few bones with tunes like Coma (favorite of mine). Sure one show you might hear Don't Cry and the next Patience or it could be Catcher and Sorry swapping show by show, but they are making more people leave happy than upset...

I know if I had 1/1000th the talent these guys had and wrote some original music and played out, you would never get me to drop a GnR song from my lineup because without a shadow of a doubt it is GNR and that song that would have made me want to play. Whether I had 1 album or hundreds of albums that no one has ever listened to like Buckethead (sorry that seemed to easy to not work in) I would still play a GnR song.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5667 on: December 08, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »

Long ago I said it, and it has proven true:

We could get a full blown reunion, a complete Axl attitude change, regular touring, a solid set list playing old hits and die hard favorites (COMA!!) every night...and some people would still find things to complain about!

I was told, at the time, that I was nuts.  That if all those things happened, pretty much everyone would be happy...except maybe jarmo and Team Brazil.

You can't please everyone, and this fan base, in particular, seems to not be happy unless they are finding something to bitch about.  I'm NOT pointing fingers at anyone specific, here...and I'm not trying to start a fight or call anyone in particular out (so save the combative replies).  But those words look pretty prophetic, at this point.  Because if you read through these threads...we have essentially gotten everything fans asked for, for years...and now we're asking for more/different stuff. *shrug*

I have been asking for new music for years.  So have a lot of other fans
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #5668 on: December 08, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »

Well, this ain't exactly McDonald's now is it? That's what I don't get with some fans: the assumption that there is something that you are owed since you visited the shows or bought the albums. That's what you were owed: an album and a show. You already got it. Nothing more, nothing less. If you understand art in its truest form, you'd understand that if there was anything to be shared with you, it would have been. Axl is known to take his art very seriously. Would you go up to Vincent van Gogh and say  'Hey dude, I have been asking for a new painting for years bro. Me and some other fans have been asking for years now. Where it's at?'.

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #5669 on: December 08, 2016, 06:32:13 PM »

Would you go up to Vincent van Gogh and say  'Hey dude, I have been asking for a new painting for years bro. Me and some other fans have been asking for years now. Where it's at?'.

I guess it would depend on which side of his head you aimed for...

But seriously, this amused me and I think is a very apt metaphor.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5670 on: December 08, 2016, 06:54:54 PM »

Well, this ain't exactly McDonald's now is it? That's what I don't get with some fans: the assumption that there is something that you are owed since you visited the shows or bought the albums. That's what you were owed: an album and a show. You already got it. Nothing more, nothing less. If you understand art in its truest form, you'd understand that if there was anything to be shared with you, it would have been. Axl is known to take his art very seriously. Would you go up to Vincent van Gogh and say  'Hey dude, I have been asking for a new painting for years bro. Me and some other fans have been asking for years now. Where it's at?'.

Just anecdotally (ie...no point intended):

Van Gogh would likely have said "Wonderful, patron. Please pay me for a comission and i will paint for you!" He would have taken your money...and you would have had about a 30% chance of actually getting that painting. 50% if you just wanted a sketch.

Ditto with da Vinci, who was notorious for not completing commissioned work, or taking forever to complete the ones he did!

With more dependable artists...they would have rejected your request out of turn, given you were not influencial, rich, or well known enough to be worthy of their time.

Art, and most artists, are fickle.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #5671 on: December 09, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »

tis true.... Undecided

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5672 on: December 09, 2016, 09:09:36 AM »

No

This is the next album rumor/speculation thread.

Not the

How dare you talk about new music, want new music, mention new music and feel entitled to new music thread.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #5673 on: December 09, 2016, 10:05:37 AM »

Would you go up to Vincent van Gogh and say  'Hey dude, I have been asking for a new painting for years bro. Me and some other fans have been asking for years now. Where it's at?'.

I guess it would depend on which side of his head you aimed for...

But seriously, this amused me and I think is a very apt metaphor.

VVG painted around 2100 paintings in his short career and only sold one. He didn't have any fans during his life, I wouldn't compare him to Axl Rose really, at least not when it comes to production. We could find similarities in other ways though but let's not go there.
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #5674 on: December 09, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »

See when it comes to a new album... I don't think that speculating about what Axl Rose will or should do with regards to releasing new material has ever been a productive use of anyone's time, we should all have learnt that by now!  And no, I don't think that the state of the music industry generally is especially relevant: sure, nobody makes all that much money from albums compared to what they used to, but everyone else seems to manage to record and release music despite that.  If nothing comes out, it's because Axl doesn't see that as a priority, which is entirely his prerogative.

My only (and fruitless) speculation is that old stuff from the Chinese Democracy era is unlikely to be released by the current line up.  So much of that was about Axl responding to the (then) contemporary movements in industrial and electronic-influenced hard rock (hence bringing in Chris Pitman, Buckethead and Finck from NIN), which isn't anywhere near as relevant now as it was then (cf. the experiment with hip-hop, "My World" on UYI2).  In many respects, the moment had long since passed when Chinese Democracy actually came out - it felt kind of retro even then.  If those changes in what Guns N' Roses music meant were a bit dated by 2008, they'll be even more dated a near decade down the line.  Does that kind of industrial hard rock really have much to say to contemporary music any more, any more than the classic rock that made GNR in the first place?  Even if it does, would they really continue chasing that sound now that the army of industrial musicians have long since left the band?  Were the songs even that good anyway?  If they were, wouldn't they have been released a long time ago?  If not, do you want something that wasn't good enough to be on CD and represents an obsolete trend in hard rock to be released just because it now has Slash and not Finck noodling about in the solo?  Sure, I'd listen to it, but would that really add much to what GNR means? 

If I was a betting man, and such a market existed, I'd wager that the mysterious unreleased CD material will remain unreleased until GNR gets the major box-set retrospective treatment, and it'll be in there with all sorts of other interesting but largely inessential curios - the re-recorded AFD, demos and acoustic sets and the like.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:54:53 AM by Virolec » Logged

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5675 on: December 09, 2016, 12:48:45 PM »

VVG painted around 2100 paintings in his short career and only sold one. He didn't have any fans during his life, I wouldn't compare him to Axl Rose really, at least not when it comes to production. We could find similarities in other ways though but let's not go there.
Well, actually we all heard about the three or even more records worth of unreleased recordings, didn't we? Tongue

Were the songs even that good anyway?  If they were, wouldn't they have been released a long time ago? 
This has nothing to do with quality IMO. Every single song from CD was composed between the 90's and 2004 (I believe 2003 is the latest, but I don't have evidence). You can argue that you may don't like it, but the fact is that it took at least 4 years to release them. Why wouldn't be the case right now - they have the songs, but it doesn't mean they are not good. They are just not released for whatever reason.

Also: the unreleased songs they have in the vault were not Chinese Democracy's left-overs like many people think (not talking about you). I like to think as a franchise movie production: they record everything at once, but the release (and post-production) take years to develop and release. In GNR case, it's like some of the major characters changed, so now they have to make something out of this - either reshoot stuff with them or create something entirely new.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5676 on: December 09, 2016, 12:55:14 PM »

Well, actually we all heard about the three or even more records worth of unreleased recordings, didn't we? Tongue

Were the songs even that good anyway?  If they were, wouldn't they have been released a long time ago? 
This has nothing to do with quality IMO. Every single song from CD was composed between the 90's and 2004 (I believe 2003 is the latest, but I don't have evidence). You can argue that you may don't like it, but the fact is that it took at least 4 years to release them. Why wouldn't be the case right now - they have the songs, but it doesn't mean they are not good. They are just not released for whatever reason.

Also: the unreleased songs they have in the vault were not Chinese Democracy's left-overs like many people think (not talking about you). I like to think as a franchise movie production: they record everything at once, but the release (and post-production) take years to develop and release. In GNR case, it's like some of the major characters changed, so now they have to make something out of this - either reshoot stuff with them or create something entirely new.

It always annoyed me when people referred to the other unreleased tracks from the Chi Dem era as "leftovers" as in tracks that didn't make the cut.   What many people fail to realize was there was a point, as recently as Chinese Democracy's release, where Axl had hoped to put out the next album a year or so after the first.  There were certain A-List songs like The General, Atlas, Soul Monster etc. that were intended for said release. 

Now, who the hell knows why the second album never happened.  I will say that the idea of Slash getting his hands on The General, which Axl dubbed the "sequel" to Estranged, is a VERY exciting prospect seeing how Slash's guitar defined the sound of the first. I just hope to God is happens sooner than later.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5677 on: December 09, 2016, 04:25:56 PM »

Not sure what Axl thinks about Slash overdubbing songs, guess he don't mind that much since Bumblefoot reworked a lot on Catcher. But I'm also concerning about Duff: not only he would have to come up with different bass lines, but he could too change the arrangement with both his fantastic melody sense and his tone. Both additions would demand a totally different approach in the soundmix IMO.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5678 on: December 09, 2016, 04:42:56 PM »

Not sure what Axl thinks about Slash overdubbing songs, guess he don't mind that much since Bumblefoot reworked a lot on Catcher. But I'm also concerning about Duff: not only he would have to come up with different bass lines, but he could too change the arrangement with both his fantastic melody sense and his tone. Both additions would demand a totally different approach in the soundmix IMO.

Yeah, seeing how Bumblefoot recorded over Bucket's, and Bucket recorded over Robin's parts when he left in 2000, I don't think Axl is particularly opposed to it.  I think it would depend on the track in question, and whether there's interest on both sides in contributing to it.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5679 on: December 09, 2016, 05:00:29 PM »

Yeah, seeing how Bumblefoot recorded over Bucket's, and Bucket recorded over Robin's parts when he left in 2000, I don't think Axl is particularly opposed to it.  I think it would depend on the track in question, and whether there's interest on both sides in contributing to it.
Yeah, but he also wanted Bucket's work even after he left. I don't think he thought Robin was gone for good by the time he finished the mixing on CD.
Of course we don't know much about the history on each track, but seems to me that few Robin solos were replaced by Bucket (but Bumblefoot def replaced him on Riad). I can assume that Prostitute originally (it was mentioned back in 1999) had Robin solos, but the other stuff pre-Bucket seems to mantain all of his work - solos on Chinese, Street of Dreams, This I Love, IRS and TWAT; leads on Riad, Catcher, Prostitute, Madagascar.

Anyways, like I've been saying here: I do think that Slash's case is different. He is the only lead guitar (even tho Richard plays a couple of solos live) and he obviously is part of the classic GNR sound. Guess Axl knows very much about it, even if he loves what Robin and Bucket (and maybe Bumble and Ashba) came up with 10 years ago or more.

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: