Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1678721 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5620 on: December 07, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »

On a one off show guns put on a great act.  Don't get me wrong.  It was a fun 3hrs.   I am just hoping on the next north American leg of this tour they change it up as a lot of fans have already seen this show.

I also think Johny fan boy would love to hear more guns songs and less covers..   I wouldn't know if any fan would ever complain about not hearing KOHD or LALD live.  AS the band has played them live at every freaking show!!!!!!   I would almost say to a person that did complain.  Really?Huh   You had this band playing these cover songs since the early 90s and now they have just stopped.  And you are mad you missed it.  haha, I doubt anyone will complain

Johny fanboy yes... But Fanboys aren't buying 45k tickets a night. Casual Fans are... they are the type of people who never saw 2002-2014 Guns N Roses... they don't know who bucket head is other than as a passing joke (like the Conan skit that everyone here mocked for accuracy). They want LALD... they want KOHD... they don't want Perfect Crime (it wasn't a hit).

Also McCartney plays Twist and Shout (a cover) and a Chuck Berry song that is escaping me right now.

Everyone plays covers here and there...

And is Perfect Crime, not a hit because it was never promoted or played every night??  Or did it just not catch on with the fan base.   Calling a song not a hit, is easy, if it was never a single, never a video, never played every night.   Who knows, guns could have a vault full of potential hits that we don't know about...   

Slither and Fall to pieces are actual hits written by a current band member that borderline covers, that I would love to hear play live.   At least they have some sorta  linage to band members.

Yeah it does sounds like lots of people have no problems with any material the band plays.  Cool.  If they added another cover to the set list would that also be cool?  8 covers a night?  Where is the limit?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5621 on: December 07, 2016, 03:45:40 PM »

Agree.  They'll have to be careful with what they pick from the old material, if they decide to use it.  But, CD is a good example, actually.  There is a lot of stuff on there that, with a Slash sound, would still sound "right". IRS (with some modifications to that last solo), Prostitute, Better, Sorry (which was practically made for his bluesy sound), Madagascar...even Blues (I will never call it Street of Dreams!).  There's easily AS much that would sound right with him as that would not, IMHO.

The heavier stuff and more electronic flavored stuff...yeah, absolutely. No amount of reworking that stuff is going to make it a good fit for him (or duff, for that matter).

But I don't think you can take for granted that EVERYTHING in Axl's back pocket is Shacklers-esque, either.  Or that it all has to be chucked.  I think there's probably melodies and lyrics you can keep, and just rewrite to fit the current lineup...IF Slash and Duff are interested in doing that.  That's the question.

And if not...is Axl interested throwing all that material out and starting from scratch.  Because one of those 2 things has to happen to get us new material, IMHO.

Given EVERYONE'S actions of late, I gotta say: I think it could go either way. 50/50.  Or some combo of the two....assuming they want to hit the studio, at all. I know Axl has said they do...we'll see.

I agree with what you are saying... It's not so much a sound thing, as much as a clarity issue. We (and all music journalists) know the potential tracks we will hear. When The General gets released and is passed off as this version of GNR (just because Slash reimagined the solo) there will be flack. We all no how we Axl lets things roll off his back.

I get that he (Axl) isn't throwing these tracks away, and I'm not saying to, I just don't think that this is the time to recycle or rework those songs. Why not dip your toes in the water with 1 fully new song written by this lineup. Throw it on a soundtrack like VR did with Set Me Free and see what happens. Then package the CD era stuff in as part of the 30th anniversary of AFD as a box set, which can be purchase as a physical entity by 'us' and picked through song by song online... BUT I don't think CD Era material is fitting of this Tour/Reunion (or whatever you are comfortable calling it).

I'm not saying never, but I wouldn't say soon is the word...  Wink
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5622 on: December 07, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »

Yeah it does sounds like lots of people have no problems with any material the band plays.  Cool.  If they added another cover to the set list would that also be cool?  8 covers a night?  Where is the limit?

You're being ridiculous... The solo stuff is just that solo spots. The only thing they are really playing that isn't on a Guns N Roses album as a full song is The Seeker.
I'm fairly certain they aren't going to continue lumping covers into the setlist. It's not like there is a danger of them playing Ice Ice Baby in place of Nightrain. They have been playing almost non stop (actually non stop if you consider the Axl/DC shows) since April. 3 hours a night 3 -4 days a week for 6+ months and you are bitching about a Who song that people actually dig live.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5623 on: December 07, 2016, 03:52:55 PM »

Well I don't consider those two mentioned songs Guns N Roses songs.  Hell with your logic, if they keep playing The Seeker every night, you could sell that as a guns n roses song.  "Hell everyone expects to hear The Seeker every night because they play it every night, so it is pretty much a gnr song by now, most people when they hear it refer to it as a gnr song, I hope they release it on a album and then we can really call it a gnr song"

No.

By my logic, if they recorded Seeker, released it on an album, and their version charted in the top 10 in the top 40 charts...THEN the GnR version would be a hit...and thus worthy of keeping it in the setlist.

Notice, though, I never referred to KOHD or LALD as GnR songs.  There IS a difference.  I'm not debating that.   I'm saying KOHD and LALD float somewhere between straight cover and GnR song.

I'd also point out "I don't consider" is basically the epitome of nitpicking language.  And AGAIN, I'm not saying you can't nitpick. Just that I wouldn't

One last thing: We've literally had this exact same conversation before. We're never gonna agree....and we don't have to. You do you, I'll do me.  That's, again, why I responded to C0ma. I was speaking for me.....and only me! Smiley  peace

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5624 on: December 07, 2016, 03:56:03 PM »

Well I don't consider those two mentioned songs Guns N Roses songs.  Hell with your logic, if they keep playing The Seeker every night, you could sell that as a guns n roses song.  "Hell everyone expects to hear The Seeker every night because they play it every night, so it is pretty much a gnr song by now, most people when they hear it refer to it as a gnr song, I hope they release it on a album and then we can really call it a gnr song"

No.

By my logic, if they recorded Seeker, released it on an album, and their version charted in the top 10 in the top 40 charts...THEN the GnR version would be a hit...and thus worthy of keeping it in the setlist.

Notice, though, I never referred to KOHD or LALD as GnR songs.  There IS a difference.  I'm not debating that.   I'm saying KOHD and LALD float somewhere between straight cover and GnR song.

I'd also point out "I don't consider" is basically the epitome of nitpicking language.  And AGAIN, I'm not saying you can't nitpick. Just that I wouldn't

One last thing: We've literally had this exact same conversation before. We're never gonna agree....and we don't have to. You do you, I'll do me.  That's, again, why I responded to C0ma. I was speaking for me.....and only me! Smiley  peace

I think I have had this exact same conversation 100 times, always expecting someone to say.  You know what Baconman, You are right.  Those are covers!   I would much rather hear more original guns music as well, great points!  haha
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5625 on: December 07, 2016, 04:00:31 PM »

What covers did ac/dc play this past year???

Kudos, you found a band that only plays originals...

I can list dozens in several genre's that play them every night. For some bands it is important to them that they pay homage to their roots. They enjoy playing these tunes that they grew up with... it's fun for them!

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5626 on: December 07, 2016, 04:01:23 PM »

I've seen comments by people saying they should play an original GNR song in place of The Seeker.

Fact of the matter is, I don't think The Seeker stands in the way of any more GNR songs being played. If the band wanted to perform more GNR songs, they would just extend the setlist.

The band's playing the set they want to play, and with the sets we've seen in the past year, I can't see what they could have done differently to cater to the massive increase in attendance. There will always be opinions on the setlist, but I don't think they could've steered much away from the "greatest hits" route with this tour. Let's see if they maybe want to change the direction a bit once they've gotten around the whole globe.

A discussion that revolves around The Seeker, seems like nitpicking at this point.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5627 on: December 07, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »

No.

I think I have had this exact same conversation 100 times, always expecting someone to say.  You know what Baconman, You are right.  Those are covers!   I would much rather hear more original guns music as well, great points!  haha

We're here for the old conversations, new conversations won't sell.   peace 
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5628 on: December 07, 2016, 04:04:16 PM »

You're being ridiculous... The solo stuff is just that solo spots. The only thing they are really playing that isn't on a Guns N Roses album as a full song is The Seeker.
I'm fairly certain they aren't going to continue lumping covers into the setlist. It's not like there is a danger of them playing Ice Ice Baby in place of Nightrain. They have been playing almost non stop (actually non stop if you consider the Axl/DC shows) since April. 3 hours a night 3 -4 days a week for 6+ months and you are bitching about a Who song that people actually dig live.

Ok so a cover played during a solo spot is not a cover?

Ok so a cover played on a guns album, then played again live isn't a cover?  

Ok so the only real cover played live, is the cover song The Seeker, because its not on a guns album?  So it makes the cover a cover?

I should just go record every song in the history of the world myself.  Then tour around singing them myself, with the logic.   "Well its a Baconman song, because I put it on a album"
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5629 on: December 07, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »

Ok so a cover played during a solo spot is not a cover?

Ok so a cover played on a guns album, then played again live isn't a cover?  

Ok so the only real cover played live, is the cover song The Seeker, because its not on a guns album?  So it makes the cover a cover?

I should just go record every song in the history of the world myself.  Then tour around singing them myself, with the logic.   "Well its a Baconman song, because I put it on a album"

KOHD and LALD are covers that also are GNR hits.

I Will Always Love You is not first and foremost known as a cover song, but a Whitney Houston hit song.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5630 on: December 07, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »

I've seen comments by people saying they should play an original GNR song in place of The Seeker.

Fact of the matter is, I don't think The Seeker stands in the way of any more GNR songs being played. If the band wanted to perform more GNR songs, they would just extend the setlist.

The band's playing the set they want to play, and with the sets we've seen in the past year, I can't see what they could have done differently to cater to the massive increase in attendance. There will always be opinions on the setlist, but I don't think they could've steered much away from the "greatest hits" route with this tour. Let's see if they maybe want to change the direction a bit once they've gotten around the whole globe.

A discussion that revolves around The Seeker, seems like nitpicking at this point.

Well I hope the band is playing the set list they want to play.  I really hope no outside force is holding up the band to play these covers.

And I am speaking of the 5 covers + 2 jam covers they routinely play.  Not just the one.

If you are fine with that that's cool.  If you think the cover songs KOHD and LALD are guns songs cool.   I don't.

I would love to hear 5 original guns tracks in place of those 5 and if they have to jam jam to all this new music Richard is saying they are working on.  Or Jam to a guns song they don't play live.   Sorta like what Ron did with Don't Cry
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5631 on: December 07, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »

I Will Always Love You is not first and foremost known as a cover song, but a Whitney Houston hit song.

Nice to see a broad range of music in your library, Spirit.   ok   I bet that one gets a lot of play alone in the car!   peace 

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5632 on: December 07, 2016, 04:19:04 PM »

Well I hope the band is playing the set list they want to play.  I really hope no outside force is holding up the band to play these covers.

And I am speaking of the 5 covers + 2 jam covers they routinely play.  Not just the one.

If you are fine with that that's cool.  If you think the cover songs KOHD and LALD are guns songs cool.   I don't.

I would love to hear 5 original guns tracks in place of those 5 and if they have to jam jam to all this new music Richard is saying they are working on.  Or Jam to a guns song they don't play live.   Sorta like what Ron did with Don't Cry

Of course, if it was all up to me, I would do some changes to the setlist to cater to my own preferences.

They seem to go with the common denominator approach regarding the setlist. It pleases the most amount of people. I'd say KOHD and LALD are among those songs, they are really popular with the casual fans.

As long as the setlist is enjoyable (even without all my wishes fulfilled), I'm happy, really.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5633 on: December 07, 2016, 04:23:53 PM »

Nice to see a broad range of music in your library, Spirit.   ok   I bet that one gets a lot of play alone in the car!   peace 

Haha! I certainly wouldn't put it on the stereo with other people in the room.

Honestly it was just the first good example I could think of.  "Hurt" with Johnny Cash is also a good one, 99% of people think that's a Cash song.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5634 on: December 07, 2016, 04:27:49 PM »

Of course, if it was all up to me, I would do some changes to the setlist to cater to my own preferences.

They seem to go with the common denominator approach regarding the setlist. It pleases the most amount of people. I'd say KOHD and LALD are among those songs, they are really popular with the casual fans.

As long as the setlist is enjoyable (even without all my wishes fulfilled), I'm happy, really.

But

What do they have to compare it too?  To actually see if this set list is the one that pleases the crowd more than another one???

The always play these songs!!!!   Its not like they went two shows without playing KOHD and Axl says to Slash, damn there was a ton of up roar with us not playing that cover, we really need to get it back it the set.

Or its not like we hear, damn I am glad they play move to the city and don't play KOHD, sure nice to hear more original music

I really think the casual fans would love to hear more original music
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5635 on: December 07, 2016, 04:28:47 PM »

Honestly it was just the first good example I could think of.  "Hurt" with Johnny Cash is also a good one, 99% of people think that's a Cash song.

99% oh my gawd.  Where was this poll done? 
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5636 on: December 07, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »

What do they have to compare it too?  To actually see if this set list is the one that pleases the crowd more than another one???

The always play these songs!!!!   Its not like they went two shows without playing KOHD and Axl says to Slash, damn there was a ton of up roar with us not playing that cover, we really need to get it back it the set.

Single sales numbers, iTunes sales, Spotify streams, radio play. There are a lot of ways to measure a songs popularity.

I just went on Spotify now to check, KOHD is their #5 most popular song with 73 million streams. LALD is their #10 most popular song with 24 million streams.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5637 on: December 07, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »

99% oh my gawd.  Where was this poll done? 

It's a figure of speech, meaning "the vast majority of people"

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5638 on: December 07, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »

Single sales numbers, iTunes sales, Spotify streams, radio play. There are a lot of ways to measure a songs popularity.

I just went on Spotify now to check, KOHD is their #5 most popular song with 73 million streams. LALD is their #10 most popular song with 24 million streams.

I am talking about the experience at being at a live concert.   How can you possibly say a crowd would like A over B, when all they serve is A.   And then say when someone questions why they never get served B, well everyone likes A we serve it every night, just look at the sales!!!......
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5639 on: December 07, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »

It is very easy for western Canadians to travel to the western united states.  Cheap and quick.

Seattle is a 1 hr flight from my home town, 15 mins from Vancouver.    Vegas is a couple out flight from here..  Yada Yada.

I am saying is fans of this band that are here have seen this show.  I know of many  

Hell they where advertising the vegas shows here on local radio!!

So I don't want to complain to much.  I will be supporting the band when they come to Edmonton.    I am just hoping for a change in the act.

Thinking like that would make most tour last for a few weeks.....
The reality of the situation is that there's a bunch of fans who couldn't travel, and will now get a chance to see the band.

Also, for those fans, they'll love the show. They probably didn't see it before and/or didn't study any setlists online to complain about the lack of changes...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: