Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:14:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1678624 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5600 on: December 07, 2016, 01:19:38 PM »

my own opinion is that there is pressure on them NOT to release new music.

this tour has been a major success. everyone is excited about seeing the reunion and hearing the 8-12 songs that regularly get played on the radio performed live by Axl and Slash. and there are still many places around the globe that have yet to see this show. why take a chance at screwing that up?

if they come out with a new album, it COULD flop, which would generate negative press about the band, which could POSSIBLY turn people off to the reunion.

everyone's view of Axl/Slash is golden. an album puts that near perfect brand at risk.

at this point, its a risk not worth taking.   

I have zero idea what the deal is with the record label and album deals, how many are left, what the label wants etc.....

But with this promotion on this tour, any album, would sell.....
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5601 on: December 07, 2016, 01:43:10 PM »

"Not in this life time tour!"  Well I saw them just down the street last year with this show!   Not in this lifetime, again.......!!!!!!!

Didn't take long or you to get back to your usual self.

Hey, what about Canada only getting one show in 2016? Oh wait, they're coming to play in Canada in 2017, but that's not good news....
How incredibly boring.

Meanwhile, many of those fans who didn't get to see the band in 2016 will have a chance in 2017, and will have a fucking blast. Happy fucking new year indeed!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5602 on: December 07, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »

this tour has been a major success. everyone is excited about seeing the reunion and hearing the 8-12 songs that regularly get played on the radio performed live by Axl and Slash. and there are still many places around the globe that have yet to see this show. why take a chance at screwing that up?

if they come out with a new album, it COULD flop, which would generate negative press about the band, which could POSSIBLY turn people off to the reunion.

everyone's view of Axl/Slash is golden. an album puts that near perfect brand at risk.

Right, but by the end of next summer they will have brought this tour to the entire world.  I think they're safe under the "Not In This Lifetime" banner until September 2017, before they start seriously thinking about "reinventing the wheel."  Nowadays, dropping a new album is a nice way for big bands to "re-brand" the touring machine to keep things going and making it interesting again.   Of course the real money is in touring, but it's more about putting a fresh coat of paint on things.  Nothing wrong with that, and if the music is good (I'm sure it will be) then it's win win for everyone.

I think they are safe to keep touring under this banner, until they put a show on within 1 hr travel time of a previous show a year previous.....

"Not in this life time tour!"  Well I saw them just down the street last year with this show!   Not in this lifetime, again.......!!!!!!!

I don't think any of that matters... They toured under the Chinese Democracy World Tour from 2002-the Vegas Residency when they finally changed the name. The toured the Illusions album for 3 straight years and as an example played Worcester, Foxboro,  and Boston in 91, 92, and 93 respectively without issue. Each of those locations is with 30-40 minutes of each other. They could tour on the existing catalog for years. Paul McCartney sells out shows every few years based on his Wings and Beatles material, not some random song he released in the 2000's.

I agree with Sandman that there is the risk of an album doing poorly or being poorly received/reviewed and having an effect on the momentum of the reunion. As far as it's reception, I can't see the general public and the media accepting being given an album of decade old CD Era tunes by CD era musicians when the have 3/5's of the 'classic lineup' for the first time in 24 years. There is no upside to that material seeing the light of day *now*... (I would have said 'soon' but that is kind of a dirty word in our world).

With all of that said... I want to here this songs, I just think the band needs to be strategic and tactical with that back catalog.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:03:18 PM by C0ma » Logged
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5603 on: December 07, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »

Didn't take long or you to get back to your usual self.

Hey, what about Canada only getting one show in 2016? Oh wait, they're coming to play in Canada in 2017, but that's not good news....
How incredibly boring.

Meanwhile, many of those fans who didn't get to see the band in 2016 will have a chance in 2017, and will have a fucking blast. Happy fucking new year indeed!

/jarmo

It is very easy for western Canadians to travel to the western united states.  Cheap and quick.

Seattle is a 1 hr flight from my home town, 15 mins from Vancouver.    Vegas is a couple out flight from here..  Yada Yada.

I am saying is fans of this band that are here have seen this show.  I know of many  

Hell they where advertising the vegas shows here on local radio!!

So I don't want to complain to much.  I will be supporting the band when they come to Edmonton.    I am just hoping for a change in the act.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5604 on: December 07, 2016, 02:05:07 PM »

Right, but by the end of next summer they will have brought this tour to the entire world.  I think they're safe under the "Not In This Lifetime" banner until September 2017, before they start seriously thinking about "reinventing the wheel."  Nowadays, dropping a new album is a nice way for big bands to "re-brand" the touring machine to keep things going and making it interesting again.   Of course the real money is in touring, but it's more about putting a fresh coat of paint on things.  Nothing wrong with that, and if the music is good (I'm sure it will be) then it's win win for everyone.

I think they are safe to keep touring under this banner, until they put a show on within 1 hr travel time of a previous show a year previous.....

I don't think any of that matters... They toured under the Chinese Democracy World Tour from 2002-the Vegas Residency when they finally changed the name. The toured the Illusions album for 3 straight years and as an example played Worcester, Foxboro,  and Boston in 91, 92, and 93 respectively without issue. Each of those locations is with 30-40 minutes of each other. They could tour on the existing catalog for years. Paul McCartney sells out shows every few years based on his Wings and Beatles material, not some random song he released in the 2000's.

I agree with Sandman that there is the risk of an album doing poorly or being poorly received/reviewed and having an effect on the momentum of the reunion. As far as it's reception, I can't see the general public and the media accepting being given an album of decade old CD Era tunes by CD era musicians when the have 3/5's of the 'classic lineup' for the first time in 24 years. There is no upside to that material seeing the light of day *now*... (I would have said 'soon' but that is kind of a dirty word in our world).

With all of that said... I want to here this songs, I just think the band needs to be strategic and tactical with that back catalog.

The Beatles and Wings have a crap ton of material to draw from.  GNR does not
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #5605 on: December 07, 2016, 02:06:05 PM »

On the other hand, the media and general public could be quite receptive of CD-era material if it's been extensively reworked by Slash and Duff.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5606 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:44 PM »

Ever been to a McCartney show? it's the same every year. He plays all the same songs, it's not like he breaks out random Beatles tracks from deep inside of the White Album... he play 2.5-3 hours for the casual fan. How can you knock GnR who plays 3 hours a night of not having a wide enough catalog?

I get it you hate Live and Let Die, Knockin on Heavens Door, etc... but guess what John Smith and his friends that  are buying tickets moving GnR from ballrooms/ampitheaters to stadiums ... he likes those songs. He isn't on this page dissecting the setlists and periscoping every show. They have to play and cater to more than just us 'rabid' board members.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:16:28 PM by C0ma » Logged
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5607 on: December 07, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »

On the other hand, the media and general public could be quite receptive of CD-era material if it's been extensively reworked by Slash and Duff.

Define 'reworked'... I don't think the 'treatment' that CD and Better got live are enough of a stamp. They will get eviscerated in the press if they try and pass off something that sounds like Shackler with Slash on top of it as 'Guns N' Roses' while this lineup is touring.

I would hold out hope (hard to do with the interviews we've hear over the years) that what Richard said yesterday about them working on new ideas is very serious.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5608 on: December 07, 2016, 02:42:25 PM »

Define 'reworked'... I don't think the 'treatment' that CD and Better got live are enough of a stamp. They will get eviscerated in the press if they try and pass off something that sounds like Shackler with Slash on top of it as 'Guns N' Roses' while this lineup is touring.

I would hold out hope (hard to do with the interviews we've hear over the years) that what Richard said yesterday about them working on new ideas is very serious.

I honestly think if past tours and the actual release of the album CD had this type of promotion this tour is getting they would of both done a lot better in sales. 

That being said

I think any product that is released under this current gnr tour promotion band wagon and jump on its coat tails, will sell huge.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5609 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »

Ever been to a McCartney show? it's the same every year. He plays all the same songs, it's not like he breaks out random Beatles tracks from deep inside of the White Album... he play 2.5-3 hours for the casual fan. How can you knock GnR who plays 3 hours a night of not having a wide enough catalog?

I get it you hate Live and Let Die, Knockin on Heavens Door, etc... but guess what John Smith and his friends that  are buying tickets moving GnR from ballrooms/ampitheaters to stadiums ... he likes those songs. He isn't on this page dissecting the setlists and periscoping every show. They have to play and cater to more than just us 'rabid' board members.

I have never been to a McCartney show, or even seen a video of it....   All I can comment on is that he has a ton more material to choose from.  If he chooses not to, that up to him.  Does he play any covers during his show?

On a one off show guns put on a great act.  Don't get me wrong.  It was a fun 3hrs.   I am just hoping on the next north American leg of this tour they change it up as a lot of fans have already seen this show.

I also think Johny fan boy would love to hear more guns songs and less covers..   I wouldn't know if any fan would ever complain about not hearing KOHD or LALD live.  AS the band has played them live at every freaking show!!!!!!   I would almost say to a person that did complain.  Really?Huh   You had this band playing these cover songs since the early 90s and now they have just stopped.  And you are mad you missed it.  haha, I doubt anyone will complain
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5610 on: December 07, 2016, 02:50:21 PM »

I hate to be yet another person saying this, but I do think it ultimately comes down to Axl on whether or not this happens relatively quickly & smoothly....or dragged out over several monotonous years.  Reason being, Slash has said many times that he does most of his writing when he's on the road.  Richard's comments here confirm as much.  I think by the time they wrap things up late next summer (or hell, even sooner) they could easily have a whole album of ideas ready to go.  It would then come down to Axl to write and record lyrics to said tracks.   Who knows how long that would take.  

You also have to consider the baggage of the other unreleased Chi Dem era tracks that Axl's likely very attached to.  I'm sure there are some great songs there, but would they mesh with whatever Slash & Duff bring to the table on the album?  Would Axl want to have those songs completely re-vamped by Slash & Duff?  Lots to consider there.  

Hopefully they know something we don't.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #5611 on: December 07, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »

I honestly think if past tours and the actual release of the album CD had this type of promotion this tour is getting they would of both done a lot better in sales. 

That being said

I think any product that is released under this current gnr tour promotion band wagon and jump on its coat tails, will sell huge.
and still ChiDem got platinum about 3 months after release. considering almost zero promotion (in fact, it was more like anti-promotion), it was nearly a miracle, I must say!

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5612 on: December 07, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »

We got Coma, C0ma. I will never bitch about a set list, again. Smiley Seriously. COMA!!

Seriously, I look at it as giving something to everyone.  The diehards get a couple tracks that they LOVE and haven't been widely played til this tour and the more casual fans get the big hits they know and love.

People can grouse all they want, I guess.  But I just can't find fault with it.......not without feeling like I'm super duper nit picking.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5613 on: December 07, 2016, 03:02:41 PM »

We got Coma, C0ma. I will never bitch about a set list, again. Smiley Seriously. COMA!!

Seriously, I look at it as giving something to everyone.  The diehards get a couple tracks that they LOVE and haven't been widely played til this tour and the more casual fans get the big hits they know and love.

People can grouse all they want, I guess.  But I just can't find fault with it.......not without feeling like I'm super duper nit picking.

Is it nitpicking to want to hear all original music?

There last concert they played 5 cover songs and played 2 covers during "jams".  That's 7 cover songs!!!   
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5614 on: December 07, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »

EXACTLY.  Say what you want about your desire for a new album, but this setlist is fucking incredible. Even if they drop a new album I wouldn't want them to add more than a couple of songs in if it means knocking some of what we're currently getting out.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5615 on: December 07, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »

Agree.  They'll have to be careful with what they pick from the old material, if they decide to use it.  But, CD is a good example, actually.  There is a lot of stuff on there that, with a Slash sound, would still sound "right". IRS (with some modifications to that last solo), Prostitute, Better, Sorry (which was practically made for his bluesy sound), Madagascar...even Blues (I will never call it Street of Dreams!).  There's easily AS much that would sound right with him as that would not, IMHO.

The heavier stuff and more electronic flavored stuff...yeah, absolutely. No amount of reworking that stuff is going to make it a good fit for him (or duff, for that matter).

But I don't think you can take for granted that EVERYTHING in Axl's back pocket is Shacklers-esque, either.  Or that it all has to be chucked.  I think there's probably melodies and lyrics you can keep, and just rewrite to fit the current lineup...IF Slash and Duff are interested in doing that.  That's the question.

And if not...is Axl interested throwing all that material out and starting from scratch.  Because one of those 2 things has to happen to get us new material, IMHO.

Given EVERYONE'S actions of late, I gotta say: I think it could go either way. 50/50.  Or some combo of the two....assuming they want to hit the studio, at all. I know Axl has said they do...we'll see.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5616 on: December 07, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »

There last concert they played 5 cover songs and played 2 covers during "jams".  That's 7 cover songs!!!   

We've been through this before, haven't we?

Yes, I do.

I'm not saying you can't. Just that I wouldn't.

I also object to KOHD and LALD being labeled, and bucketed, with songs like Seeker.  Because KOHD and LALD are much more "GnR versions" than straight "covers".  They were recorded and released on GnR albums.  They charted as GnR versions when they were released.  They're GnR hits...as in the GnR versions of them are bona fide chart toppers.

Again, you are never, ever going to get what you want, 100%.  They've done a good job balancing the casuals and the die hards tastes in the set list.  They HAVE to do that to fill stadiums and sell uber amounts of tickets.  Not everyone has been posting to HTGTH for 15 years (or 10, or 5).

So...again...to sum up: Yes, I think it's nitpicking to want a set list that caters 100% to the die hards, by subbing deeper album cuts for GnR versions of songs that topped charts.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, though. I'm strictly speaking for ME.  That's why I responded to C0ma...and not you. Wink

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5617 on: December 07, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »

We've been through this before, haven't we?

Yes, I do.

I'm not saying you can't. Just that I wouldn't.

I also object to KOHD and LALD being labeled, and bucketed, with songs like Seeker.  Because KOHD and LALD are much more "GnR versions" than straight "covers".  They were recorded and released on GnR albums.  They charted as GnR versions when they were released.  They're GnR hits...as in the GnR versions of them are bona fide chart toppers.

Again, you are never, ever going to get what you want, 100%.  They've done a good job balancing the casuals and the die hards tastes in the set list.  They HAVE to do that to fill stadiums and sell uber amounts of tickets.  Not everyone has been posting to HTGTH for 15 years (or 10, or 5).

So...again...to sum up: Yes, I think it's nitpicking to want a set list that caters 100% to the die hards, by subbing deeper album cuts for GnR versions of songs that topped charts.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, though. I'm strictly speaking for ME.  That's why I responded to C0ma...and not you. Wink

Well I don't consider those two mentioned songs Guns N Roses songs.  Hell with your logic, if they keep playing The Seeker every night, you could sell that as a guns n roses song.  "Hell everyone expects to hear The Seeker every night because they play it every night, so it is pretty much a gnr song by now, most people when they hear it refer to it as a gnr song, I hope they release it on a album and then we can really call it a gnr song"

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5618 on: December 07, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »

On a one off show guns put on a great act.  Don't get me wrong.  It was a fun 3hrs.   I am just hoping on the next north American leg of this tour they change it up as a lot of fans have already seen this show.

I also think Johny fan boy would love to hear more guns songs and less covers..   I wouldn't know if any fan would ever complain about not hearing KOHD or LALD live.  AS the band has played them live at every freaking show!!!!!!   I would almost say to a person that did complain.  Really?Huh   You had this band playing these cover songs since the early 90s and now they have just stopped.  And you are mad you missed it.  haha, I doubt anyone will complain

Johny fanboy yes... But Fanboys aren't buying 45k tickets a night. Casual Fans are... they are the type of people who never saw 2002-2014 Guns N Roses... they don't know who bucket head is other than as a passing joke (like the Conan skit that everyone here mocked for accuracy). They want LALD... they want KOHD... they don't want Perfect Crime (it wasn't a hit).

Also McCartney plays Twist and Shout (a cover) and a Chuck Berry song that is escaping me right now.

Everyone plays covers here and there...

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5619 on: December 07, 2016, 03:32:55 PM »

Johny fanboy yes... But Fanboys aren't buying 45k tickets a night. Casual Fans are... they are the type of people who never saw 2002-2014 Guns N Roses... they don't know who bucket head is other than as a passing joke (like the Conan skit that everyone here mocked for accuracy). They want LALD... they want KOHD... they don't want Perfect Crime (it wasn't a hit).

Also McCartney plays Twist and Shout (a cover) and a Chuck Berry song that is escaping me right now.

Everyone plays covers here and there...

What covers did ac/dc play this past year???
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: