Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:26:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1678462 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5560 on: October 13, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »

the problem is new music is chicken shit money compared to touring money right now....I think they should still throw the fans a bone with a few songs at least. But, unfortunately, I ain't running the show.

Not at all. Because the new album would sell another world tour very well. Yes, unfortunately, similar money could be generated without an album but why not make one for fun if nothing else.

Our best hope might be that they tour the rest of the world most of 2017, take some time to recharge, then put something out in later 2018.

This. And then it would be valid and not at all too early to do another world tour in arenas in 2019.

As always, we take anything that is thrown at us but I just hope they don't return to US before there is a new album.

I would agree on this outlook.  I just can't fully buy into the premise where, although touring is where the money is at in 2016/2017, that they would simply give up on releasing new music and solely follow the money carrot that touring provides for the duration of Guns N' Roses.  Sure, they love the money, who wouldn't? But they're also artists who have shown us that they take great pride in their new studio efforts. 

Granted, Slash & Duff have it more together in regard to recording and...get this...RELEASING their music. But again, I would imagine the newfound success and positive vibes will only fuel Axl's desire to keep this thing going and that includes putting out new music.

With any brand content is key

Touring with the same formula and same content will eventually peak.

With releasing new music you have the chance that the public may catch on to a new song and make that a hit

You have the chance that the younger crowd my catch on to some new songs via a new video.  It would be something to have a new audience debating what are the best songs off a new album and talking about ones they want to hear live......

AFD is my fav album of all time.  I cant listen to it every night, week or even month...

Just like Terminator 2 is my fav movie.  I cant watch that every night, week or month.

New content is always good

Precisely.  For example, the Stones & Metallica do not "need" to put out music ever again.  The tickets are sold because of Satisfaction & Enter Sandman.  Yet both have new albums coming in 2016.  If nothing else, it puts fuel into the proverbial gastank of continued touring.  Once the reunion stigma has died down, likely sometime in 2017, Guns (if they're smart) will likely turn their focus to new music.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5561 on: October 13, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »

the problem is new music is chicken shit money compared to touring money right now....I think they should still throw the fans a bone with a few songs at least. But, unfortunately, I ain't running the show.

Not at all. Because the new album would sell another world tour very well. Yes, unfortunately, similar money could be generated without an album but why not make one for fun if nothing else.

Our best hope might be that they tour the rest of the world most of 2017, take some time to recharge, then put something out in later 2018.

This. And then it would be valid and not at all too early to do another world tour in arenas in 2019.

As always, we take anything that is thrown at us but I just hope they don't return to US before there is a new album.

I would agree on this outlook.  I just can't fully buy into the premise where, although touring is where the money is at in 2016/2017, that they would simply give up on releasing new music and solely follow the money carrot that touring provides for the duration of Guns N' Roses.  Sure, they love the money, who wouldn't? But they're also artists who have shown us that they take great pride in their new studio efforts. 

Granted, Slash & Duff have it more together in regard to recording and...get this...RELEASING their music. But again, I would imagine the newfound success and positive vibes will only fuel Axl's desire to keep this thing going and that includes putting out new music.

With any brand content is key

Touring with the same formula and same content will eventually peak.

With releasing new music you have the chance that the public may catch on to a new song and make that a hit

You have the chance that the younger crowd my catch on to some new songs via a new video.  It would be something to have a new audience debating what are the best songs off a new album and talking about ones they want to hear live......

AFD is my fav album of all time.  I cant listen to it every night, week or even month...

Just like Terminator 2 is my fav movie.  I cant watch that every night, week or month.

New content is always good

Precisely.  For example, the Stones & Metallica do not "need" to put out music ever again.  The tickets are sold because of Satisfaction & Enter Sandman.  Yet both have new albums coming in 2016.  If nothing else, it puts fuel into the proverbial gastank of continued touring.  Once the reunion stigma has died down, likely sometime in 2017, Guns (if they're smart) will likely turn their focus to new music.

The two bands you mentioned have a huge amount of content to pick from.  Especially the Stones.

So a older band goes on tour and sells the tour as a hits tour, of there own original music.  Which is great.  However bands like the stones or even metallica have a ton more content to pick from.  So even if they are playing the same city again playing the same hits again, they can toss in a deep cut, old rariety every once in a while. 

Guns does not have the same content level.   So it is something they should be focused on
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5562 on: December 05, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »

With the momentum being so strong going into 2017, I can't help but wonder if there's been any further talk among Guns regarding the next album.  Being the biggest touring act of 2016/2017 I would imagine news of new music would go over particularly well right now.  I know the music industry sucks right now and that record sales are at an all time low, but you'd think they'd want to strike while the iron's hot, if they're ever going to do it.  Hmm...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5563 on: December 05, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »

With the momentum being so strong going into 2017, I can't help but wonder if there's been any further talk among Guns regarding the next album.  Being the biggest touring act of 2016/2017 I would imagine news of new music would go over particularly well right now.  I know the music industry sucks right now and that record sales are at an all time low, but you'd think they'd want to strike while the iron's hot, if they're ever going to do it.  Hmm...
Eddie Trunk has some thoughts on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQBS1gOV1ts

Not saying I think he would know anything, but he does have a point when talking about the dynamics of being in a studio. Still, Axl already said that he showed Slash and Duff his stuff, and Trunk seems to either neglect this or just not know anything.

IMO, there should be plenty of room for them to work on something and put out at least a single before the 3Q17.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5564 on: December 05, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »

Eddie Trunk has some thoughts on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQBS1gOV1ts

Not saying I think he would know anything, but he does have a point when talking about the dynamics of being in a studio. Still, Axl already said that he showed Slash and Duff his stuff, and Trunk seems to either neglect this or just not know anything.

IMO, there should be plenty of room for them to work on something and put out at least a single before the 3Q17.

I saw that video the other day.  And while nothing Eddie says here is wrong per-say, I just can't buy into all the doom and gloom he's spouting.  Axl's spoken on the subject more than once and expressed his desire to put out more music. Also, I don't think he showed Slash & Duff the unreleased stuff just for laughs, and am choosing to believe there is real intent to include them on said tracks.  When and how that happens is the question.  Hopefully they figure it out sooner than later, if not already.

If there is real desire to put out new music, I see no reason why Slash & Duff couldn't add their parts to the next album in between the next couple of legs.  Wouldn't take long at all.  I just think it comes down to a collective desire among the "big 3" to make it happen.  Hard to tell how excited they are about working on that material, but I don't imagine they'd be opposed to it.  Would only make for more headlines & tickets sold in my opinion.  Not to mention some VERY VERY happy fans.  yes
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:43:48 PM by sofine11 » Logged
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5565 on: December 06, 2016, 10:22:21 AM »

I think whether there's a new album released comes down to accepting, by both the band and the record company, that no real money will be made from a new album.  So, my view is that maybe the extended tour may be financing the album, making as much money as possible from performing that they won't from an album.

Also, I wonder if the new normal in this industry changes the question about whether fans are 'owed' an album.  Concert tickets and merchandise are obscenely more expensive these days compared to years past and, I think those excessive prices are acceptable to the extent they're generating revenue that is replacing what bands used to make from selling records.  So if I'm paying boatloads more than I used to on the concert end, maybe I am owed an album?  On the flip side, if fans are getting new music downloaded for free, maybe they owe the band too and so should be going to concerts in their area, buying merchandise, joining fan clubs, etc. 
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #5566 on: December 06, 2016, 01:56:59 PM »

I think whether there's a new album released comes down to accepting, by both the band and the record company, that no real money will be made from a new album.  So, my view is that maybe the extended tour may be financing the album, making as much money as possible from performing that they won't from an album.

Also, I wonder if the new normal in this industry changes the question about whether fans are 'owed' an album.  Concert tickets and merchandise are obscenely more expensive these days compared to years past and, I think those excessive prices are acceptable to the extent they're generating revenue that is replacing what bands used to make from selling records.  So if I'm paying boatloads more than I used to on the concert end, maybe I am owed an album?  On the flip side, if fans are getting new music downloaded for free, maybe they owe the band too and so should be going to concerts in their area, buying merchandise, joining fan clubs, etc. 

Accepting that as true (that there?s no real money to be made with new albums) that still doesn?t stop bands from making new music.  AC/DC and Metallica are two recent examples.

It?s all about what the band wants to be?a greatest hits band or a band wanting to build on the successes of the past.  Right now, the band kind of straddles that line, as they have played CD songs on tour (and probably more than what most people thought they would).  They've tinkered with things (revised Better intro) and have talked (somewhat abstractly) about new music.  Unfortunately, we're probably never going to get a definitive answer. 

To me, the newly announced NA tour will be telling, because now they?re coming back to the US and Canada.  You?d think that the time to play new music is when you?re coming back around.  IMO, if they don?t play anything new, it?s safe to assume that new music is not high on the to do list.
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #5567 on: December 06, 2016, 02:02:21 PM »

Accepting that as true (that there?s no real money to be made with new albums) that still doesn?t stop bands from making new music.  AC/DC and Metallica are two recent examples.

It?s all about what the band wants to be?a greatest hits band or a band wanting to build on the successes of the past.  Right now, the band kind of straddles that line, as they have played CD songs on tour (and probably more than what most people thought they would).  They've tinkered with things (revised Better intro) and have talked (somewhat abstractly) about new music.  Unfortunately, we're probably never going to get a definitive answer. 

To me, the newly announced NA tour will be telling, because now they?re coming back to the US and Canada.  You?d think that the time to play new music is when you?re coming back around.  IMO, if they don?t play anything new, it?s safe to assume that new music is not high on the to do list.

I'll tell you what the band wants to be. A money making "machine". Which is what they're doing very very well at right now.

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5568 on: December 06, 2016, 02:22:34 PM »

If there is real desire to put out new music, I see no reason why Slash & Duff couldn't add their parts to the next album in between the next couple of legs.  Wouldn't take long at all.  I just think it comes down to a collective desire among the "big 3" to make it happen.  Hard to tell how excited they are about working on that material, but I don't imagine they'd be opposed to it.  Would only make for more headlines & tickets sold in my opinion.  Not to mention some VERY VERY happy fans.  yes
I don't think it's that black and white. I suppose Axl's point of view is that there's no need to write anything more, he has tons of unreleased material that they could work on. From Slash and Duff's POV, maybe they should either work on something from scratch or really rebuild the whole thing using only the main foundations (like lyrics, vocals and basic chord progression). And there's tons of possible scenarios between those two. So yeah, this would require a negotiation that could potentially elevate tensions that were not there since the regrouping.

I don't believe they will play anything new. They are not really coming back, they are hitting new cities (kinda). Doesn't mean they can't come up with something by the end of the next year.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5569 on: December 06, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »

I hope not making money on new music doesn't stop GNR either; it shouldn't, they're more than making up for any lost revenue with the ridiculous dollars from this tour. 

Anyway, I can understand that it's a big mental hurdle to get over... to work so hard and pour your soul into a creative endeavor and not profit from it.  Obviously, Metallica has gotten over it, given that they initially sued their fans in the early days of online music.  Maybe Top 40 acts with a young fan base can still do OK with selling new music, but not legacy bands. 
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5570 on: December 06, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »

What has to be thought about is the potential difference between Slash and Duff getting on board with playing already released CD Era material live vs. taking someone else's never heard material and putting your name on it. While yes I'm sure they could balance out 'Axl' material vs. their song ideas... I just can't see them blindly releasing an entire album of Axl/Bucket/Robin/Tommy songs and making small tweaks and layering tracks.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5571 on: December 06, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »

Keep in mind, though...those US dates are pretty close to AFD 30. Wink

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5572 on: December 06, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »

So every radio station is just going to turn in a classic rock station??    I don't think so

New music is all over the place

New bands and old bands are all putting out new music.   

There is a crap ton of money to be made off of new music.

Honestly I am not sure of the expenses involved in producing a new album.....   I am sure its more than zero and less than the 13 million that the CD album cost.

But once its released its new product that the brand GNR can use.  Geeze they have been playing a couple of these songs every concert since the 1980s!!  More content would be great!!!!   

People at concerts buy lots of crap.  If you had a new album at one of these concerts, it would sell.   A new song would be played on the radio.  How do I know this?  Because now with proper promotion of a tour, for a concert that is one year away, my local radio stations will not stop playing guns n roses music.   It was never like this for past tours.  New material would sell.

Right now there is zero money in releasing nothing.   The will make nothing off of releasing nothing.   Now they may have to spend something to make something.  If nothing, they would have to put time and energy into it
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5573 on: December 06, 2016, 03:15:32 PM »

What has to be thought about is the potential difference between Slash and Duff getting on board with playing already released CD Era material live vs. taking someone else's never heard material and putting your name on it. While yes I'm sure they could balance out 'Axl' material vs. their song ideas... I just can't see them blindly releasing an entire album of Axl/Bucket/Robin/Tommy songs and making small tweaks and layering tracks.

Why cant they just release the axl/bucket/robin/tommy stuff as is.....    10-12 songs on a new album are of the old era.  Then write 2 songs with this era.   I am sure Robin and Tommy and Bucket would love that.  There music would be heard and co-promoted with Slash and Duff and this tours promotion machine
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5574 on: December 06, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »

Why cant they just release the axl/bucket/robin/tommy stuff as is.....    10-12 songs on a new album are of the old era.  Then write 2 songs with this era.   I am sure Robin and Tommy and Bucket would love that.  There music would be heard and co-promoted with Slash and Duff and this tours promotion machine

I'm sure Robin, Tommy, and Bucket would love it, but two of them have been gone for over a decade. Axl can certainly release what Axl wants, but Slash and Duff have a long history of song writing. Some of you may not love all of it, but is something they are proud of and are constantly doing. I'm sure they would much rather release their own material.

With that said I'm not saying that they won't agree to exactly what you just laid out, I just think the song writing aspect of this is just as important to them as touring.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5575 on: December 06, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »

I'm sure Robin, Tommy, and Bucket would love it, but two of them have been gone for over a decade. Axl can certainly release what Axl wants, but Slash and Duff have a long history of song writing. Some of you may not love all of it, but is something they are proud of and are constantly doing. I'm sure they would much rather release their own material.

With that said I'm not saying that they won't agree to exactly what you just laid out, I just think the song writing aspect of this is just as important to them as touring.

Do get me wrong.  I would love to hear 100 more songs written by Slash, Duff and Axl.   You are right Slash and Duff have put out music for many years since leaving the band, I would expect them to continue to do this.

I just think the easiest way to get the fans new music and for the band to make even more money, is to release what they have already (untouched).  Write a song or two.   Use this great tour promotion as a way to promote new material and sell new material.   

Look at an artist like lady gaga.  Who is constantly writing new material.   Is out on a bud light dive bar tour, promoting a new album, that is totally different than her normal act.  Is playing the super bowl half time show!!   And is overly rich and doesn't have to do any of this....   

Looking from the outside in.  I think the only thing preventing guns from releasing new music, is guns.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5576 on: December 06, 2016, 05:18:39 PM »

Looking from the outside in.  I think the only thing preventing guns from releasing new music, is guns.

Who are we kidding?  It's one guy.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5577 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:17 PM »

Who are we kidding?  It's one guy.

Yep. 

The owner of the brand name    So you can refer to him and the band as one
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5578 on: December 06, 2016, 08:58:08 PM »

I just think the easiest way to get the fans new music and for the band to make even more money, is to release what they have already (untouched).  Write a song or two.   Use this great tour promotion as a way to promote new material and sell new material.   

Easy way isn't always the best way. You have a core lineup that people have been waiting to see for 23+ years, so you build off of that momentum by releasing an album written and performed by a ~10 year old version of the band that was much less popular than who is on the road kicking the worlds ass since April Fools Day?

You have parted ways with Bucket, Robin, Bumble, DJ, Robin, Tommy, Pittman... Brain seems to still have some loose affiliation with the current lineup, but only a fraction of the audience knows who he is at this point. Why would you have Slash and Duff in the band to release music from the guys listed above?

AGAIN... I'm not saying they won't do exactly that, but to me you are missing out on what is putting asses in seats city after city, if you release anything but music written and performed by Rose, McKagan, and Hudson.

The CD back catalog should eventually see the light of day, but now is not the time for that (IMO).

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5579 on: December 06, 2016, 09:02:52 PM »

Easy way isn't always the best way. You have a core lineup that people have been waiting to see for 23+ years, so you build off of that momentum by releasing an album written and performed by a ~10 year old version of the band that was much less popular than who is on the road kicking the worlds ass since April Fools Day?

You have parted ways with Bucket, Robin, Bumble, DJ, Robin, Tommy, Pittman... Brain seems to still have some loose affiliation with the current lineup, but only a fraction of the audience knows who he is at this point. Why would you have Slash and Duff in the band to release music from the guys listed above?

AGAIN... I'm not saying they won't do exactly that, but to me you are missing out on what is putting asses in seats city after city, if you release anything but music written and performed by Rose, McKagan, and Hudson.

The CD back catalog should eventually see the light of day, but now is not the time for that (IMO).

I am saying release both.   Do I have to repeat that another 100 times

If you want 12 new songs from this current line up.   Good luck.   
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: