Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:24:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1678900 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5280 on: April 02, 2015, 02:37:22 PM »

The timing is interesting. Nightrain fan club is active again. Fortus says there will be new music this year. It sounds like a cool album title, but it could be something else. An Axl Rose side project? Naa, i dont think so. But why TM an album title? Do you have to do that for making merch conected to the album?

I think you can trademark a phrase or name for use in merchandise. You can't trademark the album title itself to protect it from other artists naming their album the same.

The way I understand it, here's a hypothetical situation:

- The GNR album is called "Stay Of Execution"
- GNR trademark the phrase "Stay Of Execution" for use on t-shirts, touring merch etc.
- Another band releases an album called "Stay Of Execution"
- GNR can't prohibit that from happening because their trademark doesn't cover album titles.
- The other band will have limitations when creating their merch connected to their "Stay Of Execution" album, because GNR have a trademark on that phrase.

So this is still pending right?

I am sure if it some how finds a way to go throw.  It will be very specific as to how the trade mark can be used.  Stay of execution   Is a pretty well known term already....   

It would be like trying to trade make the phrase, Happy Birthday.   That's it, that's my phrase. And anytime someone uses it.  I sue. Hahah
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #5281 on: April 02, 2015, 03:05:38 PM »

Chinese Democracy would have sound different as a solo album so I think that band names are important

It's a band name...not some mystical power

If Robin, Josh and Bucket made the record with Axl and the name was something else... the songs would have sounded differently?... please explain.

If Axl wrote songs by himself and created the guitar parts etc.. then yes of course... but thats not what we are saying.

I think, when you know you're making a song under the GNR name, you might (even if not instructed to) feel that there is a certain framework that you'll have to confine within.

CD has been called many things...confined within the framework of past GnR work is not one of them.  Some songs may seem like they would fit on the UYI albums (which themselves are a departure from AFD) but for the most part CD is not like their past work at all.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5282 on: April 02, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »

So this is still pending right?

I am sure if it some how finds a way to go throw.  It will be very specific as to how the trade mark can be used.  Stay of execution   Is a pretty well known term already....   

It would be like trying to trade make the phrase, Happy Birthday.   That's it, that's my phrase. And anytime someone uses it.  I sue. Hahah

Not really.  They've issued the Allowance (basically told Axl he has the trademark)...he just has to sign the papers and pay the rest of the fees.  So "pending" might not be the right term.  Waiting on the inevitable (unless Axl decides to abandon it) is probably closer to the truth.

Wink

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5283 on: April 02, 2015, 03:19:16 PM »

Not really. The way I understand it, he has only filed the claim to own the phrase in the context of the specific categories mentioned.

It's not like he'll own the phrase "Stay of Execution" and can sue everybody who uses it in any context. It does however prohibit other musical acts to use it freely within the categories described.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5284 on: April 02, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »

Not really. The way I understand it, he has only filed the claim to own the phrase in the context of the specific categories mentioned.

It's not like he'll own the phrase "Stay of Execution" and can sue everybody who uses it in any context. It does however prohibit other musical acts to use it freely within the categories described.

Ya that make sense the more I read into it

I wonder how often muscians do this
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5285 on: April 02, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »

Chinese Democracy would have sound different as a solo album so I think that band names are important

If Robin, Josh and Bucket made the record with Axl and the name was something else... the songs would have sounded differently?... please explain.

If Axl wrote songs by himself and created the guitar parts etc.. then yes of course... but thats not what we are saying.

I think, when you know you're making a song under the GNR name, you might (even if not instructed to) feel that there is a certain framework that you'll have to confine within.

CD has been called many things...confined within the framework of past GnR work is not one of them.  Some songs may seem like they would fit on the UYI albums (which themselves are a departure from AFD) but for the most part CD is not like their past work at all.

So, when the musicians on Chinese went into the studio to make the new GNR record, do you think they felt that they were gonna make an album completely from scratch, not having the band's past efforts in mind at all? I think they had the past work in mind, and were trying to evolve from that, to build on that.

If it was a brand new band, with no past history to consider, you really are free to do whatever you want. You can make a reggae-techno album if you want. That would be a more difficult thing to do whilst being GNR.

I'm not saying that the framework they worked after was restricting them as a template exactly of Appetite or the Illusions. It obviously was changed and expanded a bit, but still, the place of origin was the same I think.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5286 on: April 02, 2015, 03:33:40 PM »

I'm not sure. I think the band names are usually trademarked.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5287 on: April 02, 2015, 03:43:47 PM »

I'm not sure. I think the band names are usually trademarked.

That's true.  The band Bush got into trouble here in Canada because there was already a band with that name.  So they had to called Bush-X, until they came to an agreement with the old band with that name
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #5288 on: April 02, 2015, 03:44:14 PM »

The littlest thing gets us so hyped up.....

This could be absolutely nothing... but if it's something its either a new record or a new project!?!?

I truly am not sure which would excite me more...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5289 on: April 02, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »

The littlest thing gets us so hyped up.....

This could be absolutely nothing... but if it's something its either a new record or a new project!?!?

I truly am not sure which would excite me more...

Yeah, it's impossible for us to know. Maybe Axl just liked the name and then trademarked it for the hell of it.  hihi

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5290 on: April 02, 2015, 03:55:01 PM »

So, when the musicians on Chinese went into the studio to make the new GNR record, do you think they felt that they were gonna make an album completely from scratch, not having the band's past efforts in mind at all? I think they had the past work in mind, and were trying to evolve from that, to build on that.

If it was a brand new band, with no past history to consider, you really are free to do whatever you want. You can make a reggae-techno album if you want. That would be a more difficult thing to do whilst being GNR.

I'm not saying that the framework they worked after was restricting them as a template exactly of Appetite or the Illusions. It obviously was changed and expanded a bit, but still, the place of origin was the same I think.

I would like to know how many songs where songs the boys had prior to joining guns compared to what songs were strictly written in the studio

For example

Robin brought in the song Better and Bucket brought in the song Sorry.  
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5291 on: April 02, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »

Do we know that Robin and Bucket had those songs prior to joining Guns?

I know Bucket had a song called "Shackler" I think, it was released as well. It has some similarities, maybe Shackler's Revenge can be considered a follow up to that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xuFrH_TcJg
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:04:31 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5292 on: April 02, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »

I know Bucket had a song called "Shackler" I think, it was released as well. It has some similarities, maybe Shackler's Revenge can be considered a follow up to that?

I have read in a few interviews and I do believe there is some stuff in that chinease whispers webpage that all say Robin and Bucket had those songs prior too....

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #5293 on: April 03, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »

I have read in a few interviews and I do believe there is some stuff in that chinease whispers webpage that all say Robin and Bucket had those songs prior too....

Yes in Chinese Whispers they state Shacklers Revenge was brought in by Buckethead.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #5294 on: April 03, 2015, 08:03:56 PM »

http://www.alternativenation.net/axl-rose-has-an-unreleased-song-called-goodbye/

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #5295 on: April 03, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »

I'm probably adding feul to an unnecessary fire:

The other name listed on the "Goodbye." entry (Jordan Patrick Freeman) is with ZOOM who are a video game company as far as delivery is concerned. They seem to also be offering some music via their platform. They also do classic game remastering. Weiland's last album is also available through them.

https://www.zoom-platform.com/#news

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #5296 on: April 04, 2015, 12:15:53 PM »

So, more interesting things coming up:)

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5297 on: April 05, 2015, 03:24:43 PM »

The other name listed on the "Goodbye." entry (Jordan Patrick Freeman) is with ZOOM who are a video game company as far as delivery is concerned. They seem to also be offering some music via their platform. They also do classic game remastering. Weiland's last album is also available through them.

Not sure I got that. Are they producing songs for use in video games?

Sweetness is a virtue
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #5298 on: April 06, 2015, 07:46:39 AM »

They seem to be dabbling in a bit of everything. If you check out their site there's a photo of Freeman backstage with Weiland and they're selling his album through a branded Amazon store. Why he'd be sharing a copyright on a song with Axl is the question.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5299 on: April 07, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »

They seem to be dabbling in a bit of everything. If you check out their site there's a photo of Freeman backstage with Weiland and they're selling his album through a branded Amazon store. Why he'd be sharing a copyright on a song with Axl is the question.

Hmm.. yes that is the question.

Axl hasn't registered his writing credits in ASCAP. Could be some song that was scrapped.

Sweetness is a virtue
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: