Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1680470 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4820 on: February 09, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »

This window is the measure of Axl's seriousness.

If he's serious, it will come out.  If he's not, it won't.  Simple as that.

And if it doesn't, it doesn't.  That's life. 

But at a certain point, its officially OK to say out loud that he's lost his fire for all this.

Speaking only for myself, I was really hoping that Chinese Democracy's eventual release would be an 'opening of the floodgates' of sorts, leading to all types of subsequent GNR releases.  Everything Axl would say up until it's release only seemed to reinforce those sentiments.  If there really is so much music in the can, why has it taken more than half the time it took to put out Chinese Democracy to hear any of it, still with no official word on it?  Frustrating, really.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #4821 on: February 09, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »

Speaking only for myself, I was really hoping that Chinese Democracy's eventual release would be an 'opening of the floodgates' of sorts, leading to all types of subsequent GNR releases.  Everything Axl would say up until it's release only seemed to reinforce those sentiments.  If there really is so much music in the can, why has it taken more than half the time it took to put out Chinese Democracy to hear any of it, still with no official word on it?  Frustrating, really.

Because it made so little impact.

I find it very difficult to believe if the album was a hit it would be like pulling teeth to get a follow up out.

The worst thing about self doubt is having that doubt validated.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4822 on: February 09, 2015, 01:49:27 PM »

Because it made so little impact.

I find it very difficult to believe if the album was a hit it would be like pulling teeth to get a follow up out.

The worst thing about self doubt is having that doubt validated.

Yeah, Axl's "What I can say is that if you didn't like this, then you probably won't like that..." comment didn't exactly exude confidence and faith in the followup, which is likely why it's taken him the better part of a decade to get himself into the headspace where he's willing to put it out...So we hope.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4823 on: February 09, 2015, 01:55:01 PM »

What Axl was attempting to do was unprecedented.

But I think its fair to ask if Axl Rose was the best type of person to undertake such a huge risk.  He's so hypersensitive and prone to freak outs, and by its very nature, there was going to be a lot of shit thrown his way. 

The type of person to pull this off needed to be a person that could take all that in stride.  Is that Axl Rose?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4824 on: February 09, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »

What Axl was attempting to do was unprecedented.

But I think its fair to ask if Axl Rose was the best type of person to undertake such a huge risk.  He's so hypersensitive and prone to freak outs, and by its very nature, there was going to be a lot of shit thrown his way. 

The type of person to pull this off needed to be a person that could take all that in stride.  Is that Axl Rose?

He referred to 2009 as the worst year of his life, so yeah, the fallout from the release obviously took a colossal toll on him.  Regardless of how close to finished the follow up album was/is, perhaps after all that brain damage, he just couldn't be bothered to think seriously about putting out another record.  Again, hopefully that's changed now.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4825 on: February 09, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »

He referred to 2009 as the worst year of his life, so yeah, the fallout from the release obviously took a colossal toll on him.  Regardless of how close to finished the follow up album was/is, perhaps after all that brain damage, he just couldn't be bothered to think seriously about putting out another record.  Again, hopefully that's changed now.

He seemed legit surprised there was pushback on all this.

Which is astounding.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4826 on: February 09, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »

He seemed legit surprised there was pushback on all this.

Which is astounding.

Well, the question that's always puzzled me is, how much marketing was the label expected to do without Axl/GNR's participation?  He was completely MIA during the release, but in later comments seemed pretty burned that the label didn't do more in terms of marketing and promotion on their end.   Hopefully they'll be able to sort that shit out beforehand this time.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4827 on: February 09, 2015, 02:14:29 PM »

This window is the measure of Axl's seriousness.

If he's serious, it will come out.  If he's not, it won't.  Simple as that.

And if it doesn't, it doesn't.  That's life. 

Your simplified way of seeing this is just that. You set a goal, and then if you don't reach it, you're weren't serious about reaching it? Where's the fucking logic in that?

Well, the question that's always puzzled me is, how much marketing was the label expected to do without Axl/GNR's participation?  He was completely MIA during the release, but in later comments seemed pretty burned that the label didn't do more in terms of marketing and promotion on their end.   Hopefully they'll be able to sort that shit out beforehand this time.

Really?

He asked the label for information and plans, which he never received. And then you're surprised he didn't go out there alone promoting the album that his label pretty much ignored?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4828 on: February 09, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »

Well, the question that's always puzzled me is, how much marketing was the label expected to do without Axl/GNR's participation?  He was completely MIA during the release, but in later comments seemed pretty burned that the label didn't do more in terms of marketing and promotion on their end.   Hopefully they'll be able to sort that shit out beforehand this time.

Its preposterous.

How can the label justify spending money when the artist himself can't be bothered.  You can't take your phone off the hook and go on walkabout, and then claim the label didn't do their part.

Be serious.

Of course, I believe this was all very much by design.  Its much easier to not try whatsoever and then look at whatever results you do get as gravy.  As opposed to wearing it on your sleeve, putting yourself totally out there, and having it fail.  And I don't give a shit if that an unpopular opinion.  Nothing else makes any sense.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4829 on: February 09, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »

Stop fucking spreading this bullshit already.

Even if you're inclined to whine, stick to the facts instead of making shit up. Makes you look less ignorant.

What are your thoughts on how Universal has handled the album?

Unfortunately I have no information for me to believe [that] there was any real involvement or effort from Interscope. I'm not saying there wasn't. But in my opinion, without [Interscope Geffen A&M chairman] Jimmy Iovine's involvement, it doesn't matter who anyone talks to or what they say -- virtually nothing will happen from their end.

I do know [that] I've been asking for a marketing plan for over five years and still haven't got anything. We've asked for a complete breakdown of promotion expenses and efforts from all parties but unfortunately I've received very little information, if anything, so far. On another note, the draft booklet leaking and, I believe, the early shipping of preorders and the inclusion of the early draft booklet for the release was through involvement with Interscope, which was a mess. That's not to say they don't work for other artists and make things happen. I feel they work very hard for whatever it is they truly want to sell, whether it's good or ...

The Billboard Q&A: Axl Rose
Billboard February 14, 2009 issue

/jarmo
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:20:03 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4830 on: February 09, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »

[quote author=jarmo link=topic=64284.msg1379396#msg1379396

Really?

He asked the label for information and plans, which he never received. And then you're surprised he didn't go out there alone promoting the album that his label pretty much ignored?

/jarmo

[/quote]

After working on the album for 13 years?  Yeah, I was very surprised he didn't do more on his end to get out there to promote it in whatever way he could.  I'm not excusing the label, not by a longshot.  It's their responsibility to book a lot of that shit.  I'm just saying radio silence was probably not the best way to respond to their failings. 

Once again, I certainly hope both sides are around to promote the next release.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4831 on: February 09, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »

Your simplified way of seeing this is just that. You set a goal, and then if you don't reach it, you're weren't serious about reaching it? Where's the fucking logic in that?

Right now, I don't know how serious he is.

His comments indicate he's serious.  I'm willing to believe that.  

Nothing comes of this?  Guess what?  He wasn't that serious.  

If that's how it goes, that's how it goes.  But whichever way it goes, we say what's what.

Is he 8 years old?

You spent 10 years on this and staked the very future of your career on all this.  Oh, there were bumps in the road.  Well, boo-fucking-hoo.  

Take some god damn leadership of your own future.  And the future of guys that gave you 10 years of your life for all this.

You getting pissed and sulking helps no one.  It may garner you some misguided support from certain corners of the internet for (what they define as) "integrity".  But in a business sense, you screwed the pooch.

And the fallout from your poor decision is still being felt today.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4832 on: February 09, 2015, 02:22:34 PM »

Stop fucking spreading this bullshit already.

Even if you're inclined to whine, stick to the facts instead of making shit up. Makes you look less ignorant.

Truth is the truth hurts, don't you agree?

Saying that neither you or your band was not well served by how you played it is not "spreading bullshit".  Its being minimally fucking observant.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4833 on: February 09, 2015, 02:24:26 PM »

I do know [that] I've been asking for a marketing plan for over five years and still haven't got anything. We've asked for a complete breakdown of promotion expenses and efforts from all parties but unfortunately I've received very little information, if anything, so far.

Of course, I could take some initiative myself, but...nah, who am I kidding?  That's crazy talk.

I'll just keep waiting for that return e-mail to hold my hand and tell me how to do all this.  In an industry I've been in for 25 years.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4834 on: February 09, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »

You two are ignoring what Axl said because it does not agree with your twisted opinion of the situation.

And yet, aren't you the guys asking for updates? When you have answers, you ignore them.
Ironic.

Also, God your life must be boring. You're going back to discussing the lack of promotion (in your opinion). Again!
Holy shit.  Yes we know you don't like it. Now move the fuck on already. It's been six years.

I'm sorry Axl didn't personally deliver the album to you and apologize for not getting it there earlier!

/jarmo

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4835 on: February 09, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »

You two are ignoring what Axl said because it does not agree with your twisted opinion of the situation.

And yet, aren't you the guys asking for updates? When you have answers, you ignore them.
Ironic.

Also, God your life must be boring. You're going back to discussing the lack of promotion (in your opinion). Again!
Holy shit.  Yes we know you don't like it. Now move the fuck on already. It's been six years.

I'm sorry Axl didn't personally deliver the album to you and apologize for not getting it there earlier!

/jarmo

No offense, but you are not exactly in a position to look at what happened with the release objectively, so your opinion literally sinks into the negative here.  Even if you agreed that more could have been done to promote it, you'd never say it. Ever.

I am not excusing the label.  I've said that already, more than once.  But if you truly believe that Axl put 110% into promoting Chinese Democracy when it came out, well, I don't know what to tell you.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4836 on: February 09, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »

Hmm...not really.

You want the label's failure to be the end of the conversation.

We are not disputing label malfeasance, but we are also are saying is that even if the label drops the ball, you pick it up.  

You are uninterested in that conversation because it means being critical of Axl's actions.  Or in this case, inaction.

Ironic.

What "update"?

A quote from a 5 year old interview that has little to do with what is being discussed here?

You are a hoot.

Also, God your life must be boring.

True dat.

We are also pretty obviously fat virgins living in our parent's basement.  I thought that was all understood.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4837 on: February 09, 2015, 02:35:12 PM »

I am not excusing the label.  I've said that already, more than once.  But if you truly believe that Axl put 110% into promoting Chinese Democracy when it came out, well, I don't know what to tell you.

The label never got back to him, dude.  There was literally nothing he could have done on his own.

Hater gonna hate, hate, hate.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #4838 on: February 09, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »

I think the label and Axl fucked the release up...takes two to tango....end of discussion...move on. peace

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4839 on: February 09, 2015, 02:39:11 PM »

No offense but I'd rather put more weight on what Axl said about the situation than what some Internet users say.

I didn't give you any number of how much Axl promoted the album.
I gave you the explanations why he didn't do as much as you and your virtual pal wished.

It's right there, HIS reasons. In writing. Question answered. Done.

But they're not good enough for some.
Instead of accepting it, here we are, six years later, dwelling on it while repeating the same old bullshit because you don't wanna acknowledge what he said and instead try to ridicule it to "prove" the so called point.

You want the label's failure to be the end of the conversation.

Because it is! Didn't you fucking read what he said?
There's the reasons you need.

We are not disputing label malfeasance, but we are also are saying is that even if the label drops the ball, you pick it up.

That's your opinion. As a disgruntled fan. It does in no way make it a fact. You need to keep this in mind. Your opinion, is not a fact.

What "update"?

A quote from a 5 year old interview that has little to do with what is being discussed here?

You are a hoot.

On the next album. And here you are, ridiculing what he said. It's ironic that you crave these updates and when he gives info on something, it's ridiculed, like in this case.

I'm not gonna say what you are, it's kinda obvious.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: