Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1681170 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #4260 on: January 25, 2015, 12:06:37 AM »

I really don't want to come off as Whiney

Trust me I don't as it bugs me when I see that from a lot of the posters here.

But

In regards to the next album

I would like if the songs didn't have so many over dubs and layers to the vocal tracks.

Sure they are great sounding at home

But I am tired of not being able to hear some of my fav songs live.   

Tired of that

I want songs recorded that are easy to sing live.   

So when the band is out touring and promoting the album they can play tones of songs off the album

And not say like Axl said

Well singing that song was like having my nuts in a vise.

Write me a album you can sing live every night. The whole album.   

No more knocking on heavens door.      Ugh
mortismurphy
« Reply #4261 on: January 25, 2015, 03:59:40 AM »

About it lacking hits, catchy chorus, hooklines, riffs or piano motifs are what I see as being the main instigators of a 'hit'. I think there are about two-three songs which fullfill those requirements: Better has a stand out riff, a hook line, as well as a modern rock vibe; The Blues is in the November Rain tradition; you might make an argument for IRS (catchy chorus) and TWAT also.

I can do what others do here all the time! Guess!
You know how you guys like to play the "track record" game? So can I!

Why is it that you guys can assume, guess and post all kinds of negativity, but if somebody dares to apply those same actions to you, it's suddenly "wrong"?

'You guys' - you cannot even differentiate between different fans and different opinions.

Most of these are all your personal opinions, not based on any facts. Smiley

Probably because it is impossible to state facts about an album which is not even out yet!! But out of those four things,

- It might bring a bit credibility back to Axl, breaking the current Vegas malaise which has turned Axl into a laughing stock.

- It will give him new songs, from which to shake the setlist up a bit.

- It will increase his share of material.

- It will give us fans something to enjoy (for a change).

What are you actually denying? Axl's discography will be increased. Axl, assuming he tours, off it, will most likely play new songs. It will give us fans something to enjoy - we will certainly have a lot to talk about. And, I actually feel I was being quite 'positive' there; it just goes to show that even positivity has to be Jarmoized to be appllicable.

And yes, you didn't prove me wrong. Chinese Democracy was the one you waited for for so long and it didn't take long for some of you to find something else to be unhappy/frustrated about Smiley

I seem to remember being quite happy (in regards to Guns) around the time that album was released? Again, are you a time travelling mind reader? Also, since when did releasing an album, become a finite act to end all act? Bands release albums, sequentially. People didn't buy the first Zeppelin album and say, ''right, that is it, that is all I ever wanted in my life, problem solved; now the band can tour off it forever more''.

^^ I don't think anyone disagrees that releasing an album would be good for the band and the fans. Also, out of everyone that I have shown the AFD DVD to (which amounts to quite a few people at this point), there was not a single person that complained about it being shot in Vegas. I don't think people are out there in the streets talking about how Axl isn't credible because he's a Vegas act now. The only people I see complaining about that are hardcore fans, and even then, not all of the hardcore fans see it as a bad thing. People that I know in real life (as opposed to the internet) giggle about Axl gaining weight, they make fun of DJ's clothes, they hate BBF's solo spot, but no one has ever said "Oh yuck, this was filmed in Vegas?"

I think this whole Vegas thing is something that for whatever reason you personally do not like and therefore exaggerate it's significance. You complain about the Vegas image without even watching the DVD. Would you have actually watched it if it was filmed somewhere else?

I hope you like the next album Mortis' but just about anyone here could point to your track record and guess that you wouldn't. That's not a strange prediction to make on Jarmo's behalf.

I think it is an incredibly strange prediction to make. I do not see how anyone can predict how someone will react to a future unheard of album. And he was not applying that to me. That comment is, carte blanche. Apparently whole sections of the fanbase - 'you guys', 'whiners' - are going to act similarly!!

The Vegas stuff I have talked about many times. I do agree that I am using the term 'Vegas' as a synonym for the current state of the band. 'Vegas' does not just mean, a mere geographical location, in Nevada, United States, under this interpretation: it means levitating pianos, glitter balls, stripper girls and stodgy setlists. When Axl emerged in 2001, I thought it would be more of an, 'artistic' thing, like Floyd or Zep: not, ''rock like its 1987'' la Motley Crue.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:27:26 AM by mortismurphy » Logged
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #4262 on: January 25, 2015, 07:04:39 AM »

About it lacking hits, catchy chorus, hooklines, riffs or piano motifs are what I see as being the main instigators of a 'hit'. I think there are about two-three songs which fullfill those requirements: Better has a stand out riff, a hook line, as well as a modern rock vibe; The Blues is in the November Rain tradition; you might make an argument for IRS (catchy chorus) and TWAT also.

I can do what others do here all the time! Guess!
You know how you guys like to play the "track record" game? So can I!

Why is it that you guys can assume, guess and post all kinds of negativity, but if somebody dares to apply those same actions to you, it's suddenly "wrong"?

'You guys' - you cannot even differentiate between different fans and different opinions.

Most of these are all your personal opinions, not based on any facts. Smiley

Probably because it is impossible to state facts about an album which is not even out yet!! But out of those four things,

- It might bring a bit credibility back to Axl, breaking the current Vegas malaise which has turned Axl into a laughing stock.

- It will give him new songs, from which to shake the setlist up a bit.

- It will increase his share of material.

- It will give us fans something to enjoy (for a change).

What are you actually denying? Axl's discography will be increased. Axl, assuming he tours, off it, will most likely play new songs. It will give us fans something to enjoy - we will certainly have a lot to talk about. And, I actually feel I was being quite 'positive' there; it just goes to show that even positivity has to be Jarmoized to be appllicable.

And yes, you didn't prove me wrong. Chinese Democracy was the one you waited for for so long and it didn't take long for some of you to find something else to be unhappy/frustrated about Smiley

I seem to remember being quite happy (in regards to Guns) around the time that album was released? Again, are you a time travelling mind reader? Also, since when did releasing an album, become a finite act to end all act? Bands release albums, sequentially. People didn't buy the first Zeppelin album and say, ''right, that is it, that is all I ever wanted in my life, problem solved; now the band can tour off it forever more''.

^^ I don't think anyone disagrees that releasing an album would be good for the band and the fans. Also, out of everyone that I have shown the AFD DVD to (which amounts to quite a few people at this point), there was not a single person that complained about it being shot in Vegas. I don't think people are out there in the streets talking about how Axl isn't credible because he's a Vegas act now. The only people I see complaining about that are hardcore fans, and even then, not all of the hardcore fans see it as a bad thing. People that I know in real life (as opposed to the internet) giggle about Axl gaining weight, they make fun of DJ's clothes, they hate BBF's solo spot, but no one has ever said "Oh yuck, this was filmed in Vegas?"

I think this whole Vegas thing is something that for whatever reason you personally do not like and therefore exaggerate it's significance. You complain about the Vegas image without even watching the DVD. Would you have actually watched it if it was filmed somewhere else?

I hope you like the next album Mortis' but just about anyone here could point to your track record and guess that you wouldn't. That's not a strange prediction to make on Jarmo's behalf.

I think it is an incredibly strange prediction to make. I do not see how anyone can predict how someone will react to a future unheard of album. And he was not applying that to me. That comment is, carte blanche. Apparently whole sections of the fanbase - 'you guys', 'whiners' - are going to act similarly!!

The Vegas stuff I have talked about many times. I do agree that I am using the term 'Vegas' as a synonym for the current state of the band. 'Vegas' does not just mean, a mere geographical location, in Nevada, United States, under this interpretation: it means levitating pianos, glitter balls, stripper girls and stodgy setlists. When Axl emerged in 2001, I thought it would be more of an, 'artistic' thing, like Floyd or Zep: not, ''rock like its 1987'' la Motley Crue.

"When Axl emerged in 2001, I thought it would be more of an, 'artistic' thing, like Floyd or Zep: not, ''rock like its 1987'' la Motley Crue."

You have issues.

If you had actually attended either Vegas residency you might feel differently, you are one of the negative whiners that complains online about gigs  you weren't  at, it is beyond ridiculous.

I think you are a bitter little whiny prat, and I honestly don't see why you would come to a FAN forum only to piss and moan about everything. This isn't  something a healthy- minded individual with a fufilling life does.

"This isn't the way I want it, waaah",  You attempt to make your posts sound mature, but in actuality you are a fucking crybaby, get a life, get a hobby.

All the repetitive moaning and bellyaching is tiring to those of us that actually ARE Fans.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #4263 on: January 25, 2015, 07:09:05 AM »

I feel bad for Axl.
Can't you cut him some slack?
Last spring, he gave an interview where he said he was going to take a look at releasing the rest of Chinese democracy.
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe he's changed his mind?
mortismurphy
« Reply #4264 on: January 25, 2015, 07:25:17 AM »

If you had actually attended either Vegas residency you might feel differently, you are one of the negative whiners that complains online about gigs  you weren't  at, it is beyond ridiculous.

None applicable. I have seen Guns about six times live, the last of which was, 2012.

I think you are a bitter little whiny prat,

Thanks. I do not suppose it is worth pointing out,

It's not cool to insult other members of this board!
Posts that only attack another poster without any contribution to the discussion aren't allowed. Anyone consistently attacking other board members will be banned.

because of the double standards which exist here - but, I have anyway.

get a life, get a hobby.

I have a life and I have, probably more hobbies than I can manage, thank you.

All the repetitive moaning and bellyaching is tiring to those of us that actually ARE Fans.

If you want to discuss repetitive, you merely have to look at your own posts. How many times have you posted the one about ''entitlement issues''? At least vary it up a bit Emily, you know, find a synonym for 'entitlement'? It is monotonous.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #4265 on: January 25, 2015, 08:31:38 AM »

Where wasn't the big hit on CD DX? Better, IRS, Catcher, Madagascar, SOD, This I love, TWAT, Prostitute, If the World, you can put them right up there with any of the best GNR songs. Those are great songs. Just because they didn't catch on with the public does not make them bad songs.

Of course not.  But we were talking about hits.  There are no hits in there.

No one said they were bad songs.

there was a time.....never had a chance to be a hit
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:35:20 AM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #4266 on: January 25, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »

Mortis....agree on IRS as well....it did well on radio when it leaked and has a classic Axl vocal swagger, huge solo, etc

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4267 on: January 25, 2015, 08:43:27 AM »

Your implication that I want to 'take it out on the band' because I was 'laughed at' is paranoid and bizarre, A real deflection rather than the reality that I think it's a damn shame that the haters were more correct than the more hopeful amongst us. 'Take it out on the band'?? Are you serious??

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm just guessing! Like all of you trying to guess how I am.
Something made you that frustrated. Is it a fun thing like a rock band? I don't know.

What you don't get is that I didn't want to be 'right' about GNR for my own ego I wanted to be 'right' because I wanted the band to succeed, I wanted to hear music, I wanted the band to get respect. THIS is why I am disappointed, not because some friend that I no longer have contact with was essentially correct.

That's great. It's unfortunate that all the people who have spent all this time complaining say the same thing. Their idea of succeeding is always different from most others. In order to help something succeed, you need to put it down. You can't really claim this kind of people wanted the band to succeed considering the complaints have been around for well over a decade.

Put simply any negative comments are:
a) motivated simply by disappointment in the bands current state
b) Offering an opinion on how the situation can be improved
c) a counter argument to the sunshine n lollipops, head in the sand-ism around here. Seeking balance.
d) an honest assessment of the bands current state (as hard as it is to believe that people may hold these views based on genuine perceptions)

Current state? Care to elaborate?
Once again. let me ask you, was 2008-2014 worse than 2003-2005?
This is what I don't get. There's no correlation between band activity and your unhappiness. Are these people happy when the band is not active? No. Are these people happy when the band is active? No.

Of course putting out an album means the band has another album out. Not denying that.
It's the others you're guessing. Define enjoy for example. An album for fans to enjoy. Maybe, maybe not. Chances are it won't be enjoyed for long. And I'm talking about those who didn't enjoy the previous album. Also you got people who it almost seem like they are too afraid to enjoy anything. Always looking for faults in order to not be seen as super fan zealots. Nothing is ever good enough, gotta find a fault in this too!

I wouldn't trust that memory of yours too much Mr "$1.99 sale in its first week". Wink

What you and others don't seem to understand is, all I'm trying to tell you is that I don't think some of you will change your attitude regarding th band no matter what they release or do.
That's it. All I can state that on is based on your past track records, to use an old excuse.

Mortis....agree on IRS as well....it did well on radio when it leaked and has a classic Axl vocal swagger, huge solo, etc

We already covered this earlier. But when a bunch of songs get their radio premiere because they leak, it's not gonna be good for the band in the long run.
Another example is Better.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:51:32 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #4268 on: January 25, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »

What you and others don't seem to understand is, all I'm trying to tell you is that I don't think some of you will change your attitude regarding th band no matter what they release or do.
That's it. All I can state that on is based on your past track records, to use an old excuse.

My main criticism of Axl's career is, a lack of new material. Other stuff, Ashba's guitar skills, Vegas residencies, are marginal critiques to the more important point that his discography can be boiled down to a paltry five albums of original material. All that can be said is, a new album would go some distance to rectifying this. Nobody can predict whether they will like it, or not, until they have heard the thing. All that can be said on the subject is, usually people's goodwill towards an artist - any artist, irrespective of Axl - increases dramatically if they have a new release, which they 'like', in their hands; if Axl releases a high quality album, you will probably see similar results here.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4269 on: January 25, 2015, 09:13:05 AM »

So you wish the band had more albums out. Me too! And that guy too, and her, and those people over there, and that one guy and... and... and...

Imagine my surprise when not all of us show it in the way you so elegantly put it day in and day out. Being frustrated/annoyed/pissed off/sad/whatever.

You know, those five albums, I've enjoyed them way more than many other bands' albums even if they released 50. Sorry that the number of albums is such an issue to you instead of focusing on the great music we actually have. I wonder if you'd been feeling this way if GN'R had ended in 1990 or if the old band had taken extended breaks like a bunch of bands have done.

Before the last album came out, all people needed was an album. That was followed soon by a tour, that's all they wanted. Then it was too many shows. It was the setlist. It was the shows. It was this and that.
For quite some time I remember reading the comments that people wished the band would release something to promote the current band. Then a concert movie came out and it was mostly ignored in that regard. But of course there was something else that was wrong with it.  hihi

Not sure how long you've been around these boards. Maybe you're one of those people who get a new username but use the same old tricks. I've been around these boards for a while. I've seen this behavior. When I point it out, some of you seem to get offended.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #4270 on: January 25, 2015, 09:18:42 AM »

It's actually only 4 proper studio albums of original material. AFD, UYI I, UYI II, and CD.

Lies is two ep's stuck together....just sayin'.  hihi

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4271 on: January 25, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »

Shit, so are those guys gonna be more upset now?  hihi

/jarmo

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #4272 on: January 25, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »

I think we are lucky that Guns didn't turn out like the Sex Pistols....one and done. It could have easily happened. Maybe that is how most would have liked it.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4273 on: January 25, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »

I think we are lucky that Guns didn't turn out like the Sex Pistols....one and done. It could have easily happened. Maybe that is how most would have liked it.

You're trying to rewrite history and change the focus! You dno't know what people think! You zealot!

Grin

/jarmo

mortismurphy
« Reply #4274 on: January 25, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »

So you wish the band had more albums out. Me too! And that guy too, and her, and those people over there, and that one guy and... and... and...

Imagine my surprise when not all of us show it in the way you so elegantly put it day in and day out. Being frustrated/annoyed/pissed off/sad/whatever.

See, this does not even describe me. When I am posting I am usually doing it instead of work or studies. I am never sad or angry, usually the reverse as I see the way this band are run, as hilarious; there is a lot of comic material there. There was a perfectly interesting conversation between two people earlier which you interrupted because of, perceived, 'negativity'. It was merely a conversation, and all that entails (speculation, criticism, hypothesis), between two adults. Do you see 'negativity' ghosts in your sleep?

Before the last album came out, all people needed was an album. That was followed soon by a tour, that's all they wanted. Then it was too many shows. It was the setlist. It was the shows. It was this and that.
For quite some time I remember reading the comments that people wished the band would release something to promote the current band. Then a concert movie came out and it was mostly ignored in that regard. But of course there was something else that was wrong with it.  hihi

That is the thing with albums, they tend to be followed by, 'other', albums - in x amount of time. Sometimes people even have the audacity to list the albums sequentially! It is called a discography! If people only expected and desired one album from any given band, we would have all listened to Appetite and said, ''that is it, I am satisfied''. There would have been no Illusion and certainly no Democracy. The Beatles would have got no further forward than Please Please Me.

Not sure how long you've been around these boards. Maybe you're one of those people who get a new username but use the same old tricks. I've been around these boards for a while. I've seen this behavior. When I point it out, some of you seem to get offended.

No, I believe I registered some years ago.
mortismurphy
« Reply #4275 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »

They broke up though. If Guns folded, then that would have been it also - and indeed it was for the old band. But here Axl continued the name and started talking about 'trilogies'. I am going to take him at his word and assume, by 'trilogy', he means three albums, connected in some fashion. If Axl had folded Guns in 1996, when Slash left, I would have just went 'that is it. I still have Appetite and the memories. Shame, good band''. I would have probably followed Axl's solo career in the same way I follow Slash's and Izzy's, but that would have been it beyond discussions on archival material.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #4276 on: January 25, 2015, 10:15:18 AM »

many of us defended Axl for many years as we bought into the idea that he had created and would release multiple albums. The whole idea was that Axl was modernising GNR and taking the band into a new era. Yes, we were laughed at a bit (in a gentle chiding manner not like we were persecuted because it's only a rock band). In retrospect those that were cynical were much, much, much closer to the mark than those of us who hoped for / anticipated a series of great releases within a reasonable time frame and for GNR to be an influential band artistically as well as commercially.

This is correct.  I have found the same thing.

Am I wanting to 'be like my friends?"...Well If you offered a point and your friend disagrees. The event in discussion unfolds and your friend was in large parts correct do you acknowledge this or stubbornly refuse to acknowledge it?? Ahh Jarmo we already know which you would do. Always have a pre-determined view and argue backwards from that.

Yep.

Its like arguing with the debate team from the Bizarro home world.

Your implication that I want to 'take it out on the band' because I was 'laughed at' is paranoid and bizarre, A real deflection rather than the reality that I think it's a damn shame that the haters were more correct than the more hopeful amongst us. 'Take it out on the band'?? Are you serious??

What you don't get is that I didn't want to be 'right' about GNR for my own ego I wanted to be 'right' because I wanted the band to succeed, I wanted to hear music, I wanted the band to get respect. THIS is why I am disappointed, not because some friend that I no longer have contact with was essentially correct.

Simply put, I do feel disappointment that the band never fulfilled the promise they had....or the repeated expectations they set for that matter. I am disappointed that my cynical friends were correct. Disappointed in the same way you may defend a friend from an accusation only to find out that the accusation was correct. There is no malice, ulterior motive or any revenge (how does one even take revenge by offering an opinion on a message board anyway?). Put simply any negative comments are:

a) motivated simply by disappointment in the bands current state
b) Offering an opinion on how the situation can be improved
c) a counter argument to the sunshine n lollipops, head in the sand-ism around here. Seeking balance.
d) an honest assessment of the bands current state (as hard as it is to believe that people may hold these views based on genuine perceptions)

Perfectly stated.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4277 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »

I would like if the songs didn't have so many over dubs and layers to the vocal tracks.

Yeah, but he's been doing that forever.  I doubt that's going to change.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4278 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »

See, this does not even describe me. When I am posting I am usually doing it instead of work or studies. I am never sad or angry, usually the reverse as I see the way this band are run, as hilarious; there is a lot of comic material there.

It's easy to say that. Actions speak louder than words.
Maybe your comedy act is based on the single fact that the band won't do what you think they should? I don't think you'd be so "funny" if the band was releasing albums every other year, not playing in Las Vegas and taking advice from you. In other words, if everything went according to your wishes.

Why do certain people try to insult me when they have nothing to reply? Because they're happy? Of course not.

There was a perfectly interesting conversation between two people earlier which you interrupted because of, perceived, 'negativity'. It was merely a conversation, and all that entails (speculation, criticism, hypothesis), between two adults.

If you didn't post so much bullshit, I wouldn't have to respond.  Smiley

That is the thing with albums, they tend to be followed by, 'other', albums - in x amount of time.

Tend to. Once again, this comes down to everybody's personal release schedules and what fits their "needs". If things don't go according to their plans, we get what we've gotten for the last decade.

Some seem to think of musicians as factories who produce albums. Yeah, some probably are. Others aren't. Those that aren't, they don't fit that model. "But that band releases albums....". "Nobody else takes this long....". But nobody else is GN'R, nobody else is your favorite band (I assume). Enjoy what you got. Call me a zealot, for being happy about what we got instead of spending my days whining about what we don't have. Whatever. Smiley

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4279 on: January 25, 2015, 10:18:51 AM »

If you want to discuss repetitive, you merely have to look at your own posts. How many times have you posted the one about ''entitlement issues''? At least vary it up a bit Emily, you know, find a synonym for 'entitlement'? It is monotonous.

Yeah, big time.

But perhaps this is why she has such little problem with a stagnant setlist.

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: