Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 06:21:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1681240 times)
mortismurphy
« Reply #4160 on: January 23, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »

Yes, it is the easier option also. You put an album out and you are at the mercy of reviews and declining sales. You then have to shake your setlist up a bit (even if it is just two songs like the stones or ACDC). CD failed so he cannot be bothered to go through it all again. I think he had a lot of emotional investment riding o that album and to witness it fail, hurt him. It must also hurt him to see people go on about the old band and Slash all the time. Fifteen years down the line and new gnr have not gained legitimacy in the public affections.

So, returning to the point, it is just easier to tour between Vegas and Brazil. Keeping a static setlist means, you do not really have to think about things too much and there is less chances for error. The money rolls in. Axl is sort of coasting.

It is a bit like, when a boxer chooses 3-4 easier fights which he knows he will win. It is easier money than training for a big title fight and challenging yourself. It means you are probably not going to be defeated. It takes a psychological weight off your mind.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #4161 on: January 23, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »

This goes on much longer, I think its time to start wondering how much fired Axl has left for all this. 

That could well be the biggest problem here.  Lack of belief/interest in all this.

My own belief is, (and I know I will be in the minority), CD wiped the guy out.

You are not in the minority with this one.

I sure that whole junk of time of Axls life took its toll on the guy.   He went threw a ton of stuff.  And a lot didn't involve recording an album.   Guy went threw a ton of personal things that would take it out of anyone.    Seemed for a while there everyone was out to get him and his money. 

Hope he still has some fire left for round 2
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #4162 on: January 23, 2015, 02:00:49 PM »

Yes, it is the easier option also. You put an album out and you are at the mercy of reviews and declining sales. You then have to shake your setlist up a bit (even if it is just two songs like the stones or ACDC). CD failed so he cannot be bothered to go through it all again. I think he had a lot of emotional investment riding o that album and to witness it fail, hurt him. It must also hurt him to see people go on about the old band and Slash all the time. Fifteen years down the line and new gnr have not gained legitimacy in the public affections.

I basically agree with this.

But I'm not sure how credible some of those beefs are though.  He hasn't exactly busted his ass to put the new band over and give people reason to take them seriously.

If anything, and I've wondered this for years now, did that first album have to almost be a sacrificial lamb?  Even if he got it out quicker, there would have been some of that same initial talk about the different personnel and different sound.

So maybe you get that out of the way and come back with something right after.  Say...and album in 2002 and then another in 2005.  And from there you try to seriously rebuild your brand and make it viable.  By 2015, even though you aren't what you once were, you are a viable operation.

And you aren't playing clubs.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4163 on: January 23, 2015, 02:07:30 PM »

Yeah, you kinda have to figure that if Chinese had a warmer reception both commercially and sales-wise, that we'd more than likely already have the follow up album by now.  I've often wondered if everything that went down with the Chinese release just kind of took the wind out of Axl's sails when it comes to releasing more music.

During his fan chats after Chinese dropped, while Chinese was still faring well on the charts, despite very little promotion, he seemed so psyched about the next album, chatting about the tracks that would appear on it and all that.  How quickly that changed.  Six plus years later....

Hopefully he's healed a bit in that regard and is feeling confident about the material. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4164 on: January 23, 2015, 02:10:06 PM »

Yeah, you kinda have to figure that if Chinese had a warmer reception both commercially and sales-wise, that we'd more than likely already have the follow up album by now.  I've often wondered if everything that went down with the Chinese release just kind of took the wind out of Axl's sails when it comes to releasing more music.

During his fan chats after Chinese dropped, while Chinese was still faring well on the charts, despite very little promotion, he seemed so psyched about the next album, chatting about the tracks that would appear on it and all that.  How quickly that changed.  Six plus years later....

Hopefully he's healed a bit in that regard and is feeling confident about the material. 

Flipside, poring over the material recorded reminds him of the band he no longer has.

Then he looks at the one he does have and sighs and slumps his shoulders.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4165 on: January 23, 2015, 02:12:53 PM »

The support is astounding! So much positivity!

Repeating the same biased negativity over and over again.
Chinese Democracy failed blah blah blah. Certified platinum "failure".  Roll Eyes

Let's hope the album doesn't come out in 2015, so you guys can be right! Isn't that what we're all hoping for here? So you can post on December 31st, I told you so! I was right!
Isn't that your secret dream?  Tongue

I don't think he sees DJ, Ron, and Frank the same way.  Hence, the total inactivity in the studio and his declining live performances.

What does this mean? The last shows in Las Vegas last year were among the best the band played since Dj joined.

I suggest some of you read the interviews Axl has done instead of guessing and thinking too much. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4166 on: January 23, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »

The support is astounding! So much positivity!

Repeating the same biased negativity over and over again.
Chinese Democracy failed blah blah blah. Certified platinum "failure".  Roll Eyes

Let's hope the album doesn't come out in 2015, so you guys can be right! Isn't that what we're all hoping for here? So you can post on December 31st, I told you so! I was right!

Jarmo, you act crazy sometimes, dude. It's just a discussion.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #4167 on: January 23, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »

I basically agree with this.

But I'm not sure how credible some of those beefs are though.  He hasn't exactly busted his ass to put the new band over and give people reason to take them seriously.

If anything, and I've wondered this for years now, did that first album have to almost be a sacrificial lamb?  Even if he got it out quicker, there would have been some of that same initial talk about the different personnel and different sound.

So maybe you get that out of the way and come back with something right after.  Say...and album in 2002 and then another in 2005.  And from there you try to seriously rebuild your brand and make it viable.  By 2015, even though you aren't what you once were, you are a viable operation.

And you aren't playing clubs.

To win back the unwashed masses.  Axl needs to write one hit, tour with a steady line up and promote the music

Then people won't be talking about ex members.    They will be talking about this great guns n roses track that is being played every place.   A hit

They will be talking about guitar members in the current line up, instead of past members, if there was some stability there   Fans wAnt to bond with members.    Kinda hard to do when there have been many guitar players since the old days.  And that can't all be on the ex guitar players

Then promote your work.    Tour every place.  Do media things.   Not band members doing media for there stupid side projects.  But band members doing interviews about guns n roses!   I hate side projects and every interview about one you are just always hoping they ask a gnr question.   When was the last specific media appearance band members did just to promote guns n roses.    Unreal
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4168 on: January 23, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »

I know I'm a minority here, but I really feel that calling the next album Chinese Democracy II would solve more problems than it would cause.  Namely, the fact that Robin Finck, Buckethead & Brain (not to mention the recently departed Bumblefoot) will probably still be largely featured on it.  If it's simply the sequel to one of the most infamous albums of all time, then it would surprise and bother no one that the same artists, peppered with a few new members, appear on it.

Plus, it's reminiscent of the Illusion albums, not to mention, is an unapologetic continuing of the Chinese Democracy legacy.  Pretty rock n' roll if you ask me.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4169 on: January 23, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »

Looks like we got a leak, people!  Who blabbed?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4170 on: January 23, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »

They will be talking about guitar members in the current line up, instead of past members, if there was some stability there   Fans wAnt to bond with members.    Kinda hard to do when there have been many guitar players since the old days.  And that can't all be on the ex guitar players

Then promote your work.    Tour every place.  Do media things.   Not band members doing media for there stupid side projects.  But band members doing interviews about guns n roses!   I hate side projects and every interview about one you are just always hoping they ask a gnr question.   When was the last specific media appearance band members did just to promote guns n roses.    Unreal

Hey look, another expert in the music business that has all the answers.

(sorry just trying to fit in)

I obviously agree with all of that.  But it will buy you nothing but grief.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4171 on: January 23, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »

Sorry for acting crazy. I don't even know how I'm acting crazy. Just posting my point of view. Apparently when I do that, I'm acting crazy while people who spend years complaining are normal?  hihi

Just see a bunch of negativity regarding the album people are allegedly anxiously waiting for and I don't get it. Frustration? But I thought this was just a rock band and supposed to be fun?

Every time we've tried to have some kind of constructive discussion on this topic, it all reverts back to this pretty soon.... I'm totally expecting a setlist discussion here at any moment now. Or maybe the name issue?

Maybe it's time for some to logout and step away for a while? Why not just assume it's not coming out in 2015. Stay away from all discussions that upsets you to the point that you need to bring up the same complaints from years ago over and over again?

Face it, Axl is never gonna make some of your lives better. I know, I know. The defense is that it was never even claimed to be the case to begin with. But the fact remain, that "void" isn't gonna get filled by the next GN'R album. Something is making you feel frustrated/annoyed/angry/upset/whatever to the point that you have to come here and "vent". Does anyone think those feelings will disappear once you got that album in your hands or on your device?

No matter what Axl does, some will find something that's either wrong or find something else that is wrong to focus on. That's how it is. That's how some have conducted themselves for over a decade now. Track records and all that.

So much feeling is poured into this particular topic. It's a rock band, an album.  Some might say it's because they're passionate. That's something positive. Yet some of the posts I see are the opposite. Passionate for the wrong things?

beer

I've said it before, deja vu. Being passionate about something is great. Wanting to hear a new GN'R album is great. Interest in it, great.
But once you step over that line and it becomes what I see some people post day after day. It's not anything I'd label positive anymore. So much for fun eh?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4172 on: January 23, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »

I know I'm a minority here, but I really feel that calling the next album Chinese Democracy II would solve more problems than it would cause.  Namely, the fact that Robin Finck, Buckethead & Brain (not to mention the recently departed Bumblefoot) will probably still be largely featured on it.  If it's simply the sequel to one of the most infamous albums of all time, then it would surprise and bother no one that the same artists, peppered with a few new members, appear on it.

Plus, it's reminiscent of the Illusion albums, not to mention, is an unapologetic continuing of the Chinese Democracy legacy.  Pretty rock n' roll if you ask me.

Totally disagree.

Leave all that baggage in the past.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4173 on: January 23, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »

Maybe it's time for some to logout and step away for a while? Why not just assume it's not coming out in 2015. Stay away from all discussions that upsets you to the point that you need to bring up the same complaints from years ago over and over again?

Face it, Axl is never gonna make some of your lives better. I know, I know. The defense is that it was never even claimed to be the case to begin with. But the fact remain, that "void" isn't gonna get filled by the next GN'R album. Something is making you feel frustrated/annoyed/angry/upset/whatever to the point that you have to come here and "vent". Does anyone think those feelings will disappear once you got that album in your hands or on your device?

No matter what Axl does, some will find something that's either wrong or find something else that is wrong to focus on. That's how it is. That's how some have conducted themselves for over a decade now. Track records and all that.

This is a loser's mentality.

To be clear, I am not calling you a loser.  But what you are expressing is a pity party, "woe is me" type of mindset that generates eye rolls.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4174 on: January 23, 2015, 02:44:06 PM »

Sorry for acting crazy. I don't even know how I'm acting crazy. Just posting my point of view. Apparently when I do that, I'm acting crazy while people who spend years complaining are normal?  hihi

Just see a bunch of negativity regarding the album people are allegedly anxiously waiting for and I don't get it. Frustration? But I thought this was just a rock band and supposed to be fun?

Every time we've tried to have some kind of constructive discussion on this topic, it all reverts back to this pretty soon.... I'm totally expecting a setlist discussion here at any moment now. Or maybe the name issue?

So much feeling is poured into this particular topic. It's a rock band, an album.  Some might say it's because they're passionate. That's something positive. Yet some of the posts I see are the opposite. Passionate for the wrong things?

beer

I've said it before, deja vu. Being passionate about something is great. Wanting to hear a new GN'R album is great. Interest in it, great.
But once you step over that line and it becomes what I see some people post day after day. It's not anything I'd label positive anymore. So much for fun eh?

/jarmo

I understand where you're coming from, and your feelings are completely valid.  I guess we have a different idea of what "fun" discussion is.  I was having fun talking to D-X and Ginger about the pros and cons regarding the likelihood of a 2015 release.  Since we all know the bands history, there were fighters in bother corners of that conversation.  I don't think anyone felt like they were being "negative" as we were chatting, just sharing what our thoughts were.  Saying that we secretly hope our favorite band *doesn't* release an album just kind of striked me as being a bit outlandish.  Crazy was perhaps not the correct word.  Smiley
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4175 on: January 23, 2015, 02:44:25 PM »

To win back the unwashed masses.  Axl needs to write one hit, tour with a steady line up and promote the music

I think that's a little naive in a way. I wish it was that simple.

I think no matter what Axl does, some people will not accept it. It's very simple. They want to believe the lies and whatever image is in their heads.
Just look at the fans. No matter how much they said they needed a new album, it didn't take long until they needed something else and then something was wrong. It's always something.

You have fans who openly say that this band isn't Guns N' Roses, but they call themselves big fans. Which I assume means they actually like something the band has done at some point. But imagine a person who has no emotional connection to the band. They just know it as "Axl's band that isn't GN'R". That's where they start. That's like running 100 meters, but your lane has hurdles on it.

This is a loser's mentality.

To be clear, I am not calling you a loser.  But what you are expressing is a pity party, "woe is me" type of mindset that generates eye rolls.

No, not looking for pity. Don't care.

Just pointing out that the so called fun rock band discussion seems to often take negative turns for some. For some reason, their discussing their favorite band is a negativity filled existence.
If I dislike something to the point that I feel upset, I wouldn't call it a favorite.... Wink

Saying that we secretly hope our favorite band *doesn't* release an album just kind of striked me as being a bit outlandish.  Crazy was perhaps not the correct word.  Smiley

Yes. That part was a joke. Wasn't meant to be serious.

But sometimes you wonder if people really want an album or if they'd just rather be "right about Axl Rose"? hihi

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:46:32 PM by jarmo » Logged

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4176 on: January 23, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »

Leave all that baggage in the past.

Well, that doesn't really sound like our guy does it?  hihi

But seriously, I can see pros to both.  Everyone knows the name Chinese Democracy, good negative and in between.  For music fans it's essentially a household name.  It might be provocative enough to garner more interest than the album would otherwise.

On the other hand, you are correct, there is quite a bit of negative baggage surrounding the name, and they are numerous in their number.  Perhaps a self-titled release would be in order, or a title which also bears one of the song's titles ala "Soul Monster" or "The General".
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4177 on: January 23, 2015, 02:53:07 PM »

Another pro would be that if it was called that, it would bring Chinese Democracy (the first one) back in to the discussions again. And also if there's s similar red thread that binds both albums together. A theme or what you might call it, it might make sense.

The negative would obviously be that there'd be the usual negativity.

/jarmo

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4178 on: January 23, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »

Another pro would be that if it was called that, it would bring Chinese Democracy (the first one) back in to the discussions again. And also if there's s similar red thread that binds both albums together. A theme or what you might call it, it might make sense.

The negative would obviously be that there'd be the usual negativity.

/jarmo

Very true.  It would also open up the possibility of a double album down the line, complete with the un-released artwork.  Just thinking out loud but there would be tons of possibilities if the album was a continuation of Chinese Democracy in name.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4179 on: January 23, 2015, 02:59:12 PM »

Maybe something less obvious would be better....

Best of both words so to speak.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: