Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 08:26:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228557 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1682891 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3860 on: January 11, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »

Is this source enough to change the conversation here a bit?  Question for folks.

Axl has said that the next album is going to push things a bit further.  How will you reconcile that against a populus view that they need more classic rock sounding hit that are well promoted and Billboard ready?  If there are elements of industrial, are we going to hear the same tired complaints that the music is dated?  Or are you going to take the music for what it is (Axl's vision), and dismiss the notion that success only equals units pushed?

I'd like to see Axl and company promote the next record more and draw in a bigger crowd in.  But, at the same time, thats not necessarily going to impact my enjoyment of the new music.  GN'R is the only band that I personally can enjoy pretty much everything they've written.  Of course not every song is equal, but never been a song I have to skip.  One of the greatest things I can appreciate about this band is how they've not tried to make AFD again. 

Most exciting thing to me is to hear what Axl has created, and if that's something commercially successful thats awesome, but if its an epic song thats not so radio friendly, I'm enjoying it just as much, often more.

Well if the next ablum is tracks left over/all teady recorded durring the CD recoring process.  I would just guess that it will sound pretty close to how CD sounded

I just hope there isnt a bunch of songs that were deemend not good enough to make the cut of CD, that they are going to toss together to make a new album

I truelly want to believe that Axl specificly put away A list songs durring the recordong process, so he could release anofher A list album
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #3861 on: January 11, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »

but he did get a 12 pack of dr. Pepper sent to my house from the parent company, so...

I only got a six pack. Undecided

If memory serves: He worked (and might still work) for ( either directly, or for their marketing firm) dr. Pepper. Snapple ( aka cadbury schwepps). 

He worked for their PR firm.  He's not there anymore, but he's still in PR.  He "pioneers buzzworthy campaigns" so stirring the pot on the message boards would be right up his alley.

On his job profile he claims he "got" Axl Rose to finally release Chinese Democracy.  Right.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3862 on: January 11, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »

Its weird how much the greatest hits album sold so well just a couple years prior too the release of CD, with zero marketing at all

And not only sold well, but in the united  states completly destroyed sales compared to CD

I have read where sales of the greatest hits are 5 million in the united states and CD is under 700 grand

So when one argues marketing is the reason CD didnt sell the millions people thought it aould sell in the states.   I cant totally agree with that

It is just one big piece to the puzzle

And back to the fumors about the next release is true

I cant wait to hear some more of Bucketheads work!!!!

Why do you think it's weird?  With a new band and all the negative press Axl gets here in the US, didn't surprise me.  He needs to prove himself with this new band and put out music.  Until that happens, it's a lot of people not that interested.   

Also, as each year passes, record sales continue to drop dramatically. 

I find it weird/interesting that the greatest hits album sold so well.   With zero marketing and actuallh the band sueing to try and prevent its release  

What would it of sold with aome actual promotion from the label and the band

All the negative press Axl has had he has had for the past 30 years or so.   There is nothing proven tbat his negative press has ever afected the sale of albums.  

I will argue as welll tbat most of the unwashed masses out there , i.e mainstream people that buy music, wouldnt even have a clue who is in the band or who has left the band etc.   Even in 2014 i heard people on vegas thinking certain people were in the band, when they havnt been in the band since 1995.   This was from people thag bought concert tickets, way more than a album.  

Of guns n roses last 4 album releases.  In the united states you have 3 that sold under 1 million, with a couple well under 1 million.   Then you have one that sold 5 million.   That is weird.  

You can almost blindly guess what sales of the next album will be off those numbers.   If there is no marketing plan or hit single.  

Thats why the sales numbers of the greatest hits album is weird!!    
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #3863 on: January 11, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »

Is this source enough to change the conversation here a bit?  Question for folks.

Axl has said that the next album is going to push things a bit further.  How will you reconcile that against a populus view that they need more classic rock sounding hit that are well promoted and Billboard ready?  If there are elements of industrial, are we going to hear the same tired complaints that the music is dated?  Or are you going to take the music for what it is (Axl's vision), and dismiss the notion that success only equals units pushed?

I'd like to see Axl and company promote the next record more and draw in a bigger crowd in.  But, at the same time, thats not necessarily going to impact my enjoyment of the new music.  GN'R is the only band that I personally can enjoy pretty much everything they've written.  Of course not every song is equal, but never been a song I have to skip.  One of the greatest things I can appreciate about this band is how they've not tried to make AFD again. 

Most exciting thing to me is to hear what Axl has created, and if that's something commercially successful thats awesome, but if its an epic song thats not so radio friendly, I'm enjoying it just as much, often more.

Well if the next ablum is tracks left over/all teady recorded durring the CD recoring process.  I would just guess that it will sound pretty close to how CD sounded

I just hope there isnt a bunch of songs that were deemend not good enough to make the cut of CD, that they are going to toss together to make a new album

I truelly want to believe that Axl specificly put away A list songs durring the recordong process, so he could release anofher A list album

I tend to think that GNR has always been good at putting away some great things for later. It could even be the case that sometimes they put away their best stuff for later. I heard something about This I Love (I think) almost not making it onto CD. It's a great song, I'm sure it wasn't going to be set aside because it wasn't good enough. Maybe Axl just wanted to save it for later. He seems to like to have tricks up his sleeve. Some might feel a little underwhelmed if they find Oh My God and Silkworms taking up two spaces on the next album, and I think the band realizes that. 

14 yrs, that was a great post (Damn the Haters has been on a roll too). I was going to post something like that last night, about how I felt that some people focus too much on record sales. There are many great works of art out there that aren't approachable enough for the majority to enjoy. It doesn't make them any less great. I think Axl's actions around the time of the release of CD were not the actions of a man that was worrying too much about record sales. I could be wrong, but it seems like if he wanted to he could have created a lot more buzz for his album. He could have thrown a youtube release party and played live songs with Kid Rock and Willie Nelson or something. At least it seems to me he could have. He has a shit load of famous fans he could have reached out to. Nicholas Cage and shit. For whatever reason, he chose to let the music speak for itself instead. That was a part of it wasn't it? Besides all the drama with the record company, didn't he also say that he wanted to let the music speak for itself?

Music speaking for itself vs Wal Mart speaking for the music. I think the outcome in terms of sales is pretty clear. Not surprised Metallica's album sold better, haven't they always been more popular than GNR? And I don't think Axl loses any sleep over selling less albums than Coldplay. Not only was Viva la Vida able to cash in on the Coldplay gold rush (I saw them live near the time of it's release and Chris Martin said onstage that they were the number one band in the world at that time), it was a damn good album.

And that 1.99 story is ridiculous. Seriously Mortis, pic or GTFO. I caught this really big fish once. It was huge and had teeth like a human! It even spoke to me. "Tell mortuary mikey to stop obsessing over a band he doesn't like. It's an enormous waste of time, bigger than the island sized waste that comes out of my bottom." I don't have any evidence of it though. Do you believe me?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:07:45 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
mortismurphy
« Reply #3864 on: January 11, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »

Jarmo, but you are doing the legacy of the name, 'Guns N' Roses', and Axl a disservice here. You could merely say, ''considering Guns are considered by many as the biggest hard rock band in the world in the last thirty years''. In fact, I would argue that Guns have a (slightly) broader appeal than 'Tallica.

Not really. None of those other two bands had the "obstacles" GN'R had to deal with regarding their their albums.

In fact, Black Ice's figures rather shames Metallica's figures also (who outsold Guns). People would have also presumed, a 2008 Metallica album outselling a 2008 AC/DC album.

And you still think that was because of what?
I kept pointing out the big impact their choice of retailer in the USA had. Walmart had little AC/DC stores inside their stores to help promote the album. Selling anything from music to t-shirts.

Concerning the credibility of Rolling Stone and Billboard, in my opinion those two articles are objective (in fact, they are dry as dust water). I think they represent fairly decent evidence, as to the commercial performance of Chinese Democracy in its early weeks of release.

They paint a picture. Just like an article stating the album was streamed a record breaking 8 million plus times paints another picture.

We are never going to agree about the, $1.99 thing.

No because you're stubborn and can't admit you remember it wrong!

It happened in 2011, not the first week of its release. Fact.

/jarmo

But you can construct all sorts of mitigating factors for, why bands do not sell records. How many hypothetical sales of  the future Death Magnetic were removed by 'Napster-Gate'? I imagine a great many; the fan backlash at Ulrich's comments was obstreperous. Metallica lost a member along the way also, and their preceding release was universally reviled to such a degree, to make one doubt whether or not they can produce decent music again. AC/DC were part of an industry joke of, essentially putting out the same album with a different cover. Other bands have line-up changes; other bands have controversies; other bands are disparaged by the media (Queen for instance). You are merely given Axl Rose, certain attributes not shared by the other million people involved in the music industry, to explain away, buttress him from, the effects of failure. In your philosophy, Jarmo, Axl Rose can never fail! He is - must be - the perfect human!. In fact, he cannot technically be human since, we as humans are inherently flawed, and we have seen that W. Axl Rose has never made a mistake, nor failed, in his entire life. He must surely be, from, the planet, Krypton!!!

Those two articles merely relay sound scan data and chart positions, i.e. objective (and verifiable) mathematical facts - not subjectivity. The general tenure of the articles is not even preoccupied with Guns N' Roses. There are no reasons to search for bias. What if they said Guns had sold 'well'? Would you doubt that, insisting on their subjective bias and dismissing them in discussions, flippantly? No you wouldn't because they would be portraying Axl in a 'positive' light. These articles would instantaneously be converted to the Holy Word for you. Basically, anything with a negative connotation about Axl and nu guns, is automatically biased - in your ideology. Axl must be shown in the most positive aspect.

Concerning the $1.99 thing, I feel like one of those people who has seen a ghost and is trying to tell a skeptic, a non-believer in ghostly apparitions, to that effect. I do not know how we can progress here. I am not going to suddenly erase my memory in order to aggrandise Chinese Democracy's sales. I am not even going to admit to a mistake, as I remember it being 2008, and not 2011. How do you want me to react here? Listen, that article describes two people turning up to buy the album on the day of release. Presumably, that store ordered a batch of albums, say, thirty. An album's maiden day is its biggest day, commercially; it is the day when every fan basically buys the copy. It is not hard to envision a scenario in which, some managers would have made a quick but significant reduction in the price to offload the remaining twenty-eight.
GFortusR
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #3865 on: January 11, 2015, 02:25:56 PM »

Well, you may want to worry about your memory. The FACT is best buy had the $1.99 promotion in MARCH 2011, and caused it to actually re-enter the top 200 billboard chart as a result.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #3866 on: January 11, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »

Jarmo, but you are doing the legacy of the name, 'Guns N' Roses', and Axl a disservice here. You could merely say, ''considering Guns are considered by many as the biggest hard rock band in the world in the last thirty years''. In fact, I would argue that Guns have a (slightly) broader appeal than 'Tallica.

Not really. None of those other two bands had the "obstacles" GN'R had to deal with regarding their their albums.

In fact, Black Ice's figures rather shames Metallica's figures also (who outsold Guns). People would have also presumed, a 2008 Metallica album outselling a 2008 AC/DC album.

And you still think that was because of what?
I kept pointing out the big impact their choice of retailer in the USA had. Walmart had little AC/DC stores inside their stores to help promote the album. Selling anything from music to t-shirts.

Concerning the credibility of Rolling Stone and Billboard, in my opinion those two articles are objective (in fact, they are dry as dust water). I think they represent fairly decent evidence, as to the commercial performance of Chinese Democracy in its early weeks of release.

They paint a picture. Just like an article stating the album was streamed a record breaking 8 million plus times paints another picture.

We are never going to agree about the, $1.99 thing.

No because you're stubborn and can't admit you remember it wrong!

It happened in 2011, not the first week of its release. Fact.

/jarmo

But you can construct all sorts of mitigating factors for, why bands do not sell records. How many hypothetical sales of  the future Death Magnetic were removed by 'Napster-Gate'? I imagine a great many; the fan backlash at Ulrich's comments was obstreperous. Metallica lost a member along the way also, and their preceding release was universally reviled to such a degree, to make one doubt whether or not they can produce decent music again. AC/DC were part of an industry joke of, essentially putting out the same album with a different cover. Other bands have line-up changes; other bands have controversies; other bands are disparaged by the media (Queen for instance). You are merely given Axl Rose, certain attributes not shared by the other million people involved in the music industry, to explain away, buttress him from, the effects of failure. In your philosophy, Jarmo, Axl Rose can never fail! He is - must be - the perfect human!. In fact, he cannot technically be human since, we as humans are inherently flawed, and we have seen that W. Axl Rose has never made a mistake, nor failed, in his entire life. He must surely be, from, the planet, Krypton!!!

Those two articles merely relay sound scan data and chart positions, i.e. objective (and verifiable) mathematical facts - not subjectivity. The general tenure of the articles is not even preoccupied with Guns N' Roses. There are no reasons to search for bias. What if they said Guns had sold 'well'? Would you doubt that, insisting on their subjective bias and dismissing them in discussions, flippantly? No you wouldn't because they would be portraying Axl in a 'positive' light. These articles would instantaneously be converted to the Holy Word for you. Basically, anything with a negative connotation about Axl and nu guns, is automatically biased - in your ideology. Axl must be shown in the most positive aspect.

Concerning the $1.99 thing, I feel like one of those people who has seen a ghost and is trying to tell a skeptic, a non-believer in ghostly apparitions, to that effect. I do not know how we can progress here. I am not going to suddenly erase my memory in order to aggrandise Chinese Democracy's sales. I am not even going to admit to a mistake, as I remember it being 2008, and not 2011. How do you want me to react here? Listen, that article describes two people turning up to buy the album on the day of release. Presumably, that store ordered a batch of albums, say, thirty. An album's maiden day is its biggest day, commercially; it is the day when every fan basically buys the copy. It is not hard to envision a scenario in which, some managers would have made a quick but significant reduction in the price to offload the remaining twenty-eight.

Best buy managers, on a store by store basis, don't have that kind of price control. Item pricing can vary, very slightly, by region but is set, entirely, by corporate. And it wont vary by $10 to $13 for a small item, either. Even clearance pricing.

I understand that with your geographic locale, you might not be familiar with the big box chain that is best buy....but thats the way they function. I'm sure, if you would like to dispute the above, you will find other posters who will back it up.

Given the various anecdotals from other membership vs your singular anecdotal of a post ( and not personal experience), it might be time to acknowledge that either your memory is faulty, or the pic in question was the result of a pricing tag error.

Because the continued clinging to an obvious factual error, or memory of a single instance of error pricing, is making you look foolish.

Stop trying to score points...and maybe just make them.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:56:09 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #3867 on: January 11, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »

The FACT is best buy had the $1.99 promotion in MARCH 2011,

I don't know if it was a promotion, or more like a continued reduction in price.  It was $4.99 in August 2010.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
mortismurphy
« Reply #3868 on: January 11, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »

I am willing to concede that I might be mixing up the two price reductions. The $1.99 sounds suspiciously specific and therefore, from the 2011 sale story, however, this does not contradict my recollection of the albums being offloaded for a ridiculously low sum, remarkably soon after release.
GFortusR
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #3869 on: January 11, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »

Nice to see you admit it wasn't 1.99 its second week out...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3870 on: January 11, 2015, 03:29:47 PM »

But you can construct all sorts of mitigating factors for, why bands do not sell records.

It's called a discussion. you're free to speculate about stuff, so can the rest of us.
Are you honestly saying "not possible" to every single possible reason presented in this thread?

How many hypothetical sales of  the future Death Magnetic were removed by 'Napster-Gate'? I imagine a great many; the fan backlash at Ulrich's comments was obstreperous.

I'd say it would've affected something like St Anger more considering it was the album following the Napster thing.

You are merely given Axl Rose, certain attributes not shared by the other million people involved in the music industry, to explain away, buttress him from, the effects of failure. In your philosophy, Jarmo, Axl Rose can never fail! He is - must be - the perfect human!. In fact, he cannot technically be human since, we as humans are inherently flawed, and we have seen that W. Axl Rose has never made a mistake, nor failed, in his entire life. He must surely be, from, the planet, Krypton!!!

I'm presenting you with facts.

Once again, making ridiculous extreme generalizations when you fail to address the facts you've been presented with.

It's my belief, and many GN'R fans with me agree, that the album isn't the failure you want it to be. People like to throw that phrase around because it came out, this proving many naysayers wrong. It didn't meet whatever expectations these people, who said it'd never be released, had.

Maybe the actual failure isn't the number of copies sold, it's the expectations these so called experts had. They failed to predict it correctly and made up expectations, that in the end weren't met. So what do you do? you label it a failure.

There's very little sales data here:

]By Chris Steffen | November 24, 2008
Guns n' Roses fans expecting to be met with pyro, a giant inflatable Axl Rose ? or at least Chinese Democracy blaring from the sound system ? were in for a surprise when the anxiously awaited album hit Best Buy stores yesterday. At all the Manhattan outlets Rock Daily visited Sunday, you'd be hard-pressed to know it was one of the most hyped release days of the century.

---

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chinese-democracy-hits-best-buys-in-new-york-with-a-yawn-20081124

Seems like you don't even remember the articles you posted.
It kinda states what I've told you. Best Buy didn't really do the same thing Walmart did for AC/DC. Once again. I was in the USA at the time. I have first hand experience of visiting several Best Buy stores that week.

Also, the second one begins with an interesting fact, I think you ignored that too:

While mainstream media is touting that the Black Friday weekend started the holiday selling season with a bang, music merchandisers certainly didn't have that experience.

Music sales were down anywhere from 10% to 30% and hit albums released for Black Friday didn't perform up to expectations, according to merchants contacted by Billboard. Sources say Kanye West's "808s & Heartbreak" will sell in the range of 425,000-450,000 units, significantly down from 700,000-975,000 units previously projected.

----

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/266178/kanye-guns-n-roses-post-slow-debut-week-sales

Music sales went down. In general.

I am not even going to admit to a mistake, as I remember it being 2008, and not 2011.

rofl

I am willing to concede that I might be mixing up the two price reductions. The $1.99 sounds suspiciously specific and therefore, from the 2011 sale story, however, this does not contradict my recollection of the albums being offloaded for a ridiculously low sum, remarkably soon after release.

Finally. Thank you.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #3871 on: January 11, 2015, 03:34:12 PM »

All I know is that I want to hear these 4 songs.....Hell, just give me an ep of these four and I'm a happy camper....don't know how I stumbled across this.

October, 2002 - Marco Beltrami reveals on his website that he provided orchestral arrangements for several songs on the new album: ?Seven,? ?Leave Me Alone,? ?General? and ?Thyme.?

Grin

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
mortismurphy
« Reply #3872 on: January 11, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »

It's called a discussion. you're free to speculate about stuff, so can the rest of us.
Are you honestly saying "not possible" to every single possible reason presented in this thread?

The ironic thing is, this is all completely academic. So Axl had un-surmountable obstacles thrown against him, obstacles unprecedented in nature, unique to this superhuman godlike individual that is W. Axl Rose? The album still sold, 'x', amount. It really is that simple. We cannot rationally add an extra 1 million sales onto the figure that he would have had if Slash was present on Chinese. There is no method to calculate how many sales were destroyed by this, 'alleged' media bias. The album was released on the terms, it was released under - many of those terms dictated by Axl's individual decision. The only statistic we have is the one that indicatively occurred.

How many hypothetical sales of  the future Death Magnetic were removed by 'Napster-Gate'? I imagine a great many; the fan backlash at Ulrich's comments was obstreperous.

I'd say it would've affected something like St Anger more considering it was the album following the Napster thing.

True, but if this person has vowed never to buy a Metallica album again, it affects them both.

I'm presenting you with facts.

Once again, making ridiculous extreme generalizations when you fail to address the facts you've been presented with.

It's my belief, and many GN'R fans with me agree, that the album isn't the failure you want it to be. People like to throw that phrase around because it came out, this proving many naysayers wrong. It didn't meet whatever expectations these people, who said it'd never be released, had.

Maybe the actual failure isn't the number of copies sold, it's the expectations these so called experts had. They failed to predict it correctly and made up expectations, that in the end weren't met. So what do you do? you label it a failure.

I do not 'want it' to be a failure. I merely think it was, a failure. You discuss the presentation of facts however,

- I have placed for you, statistics. These statistics have been disregarded because, they do not take into consideration the fact that Axl had to climb a series of unprecedented, insurmountable, obstacles, those other acts did not face.

- Two contemporary articles from credible music publications. These are subjective and biased and should be dismissed with all haste.

Seems like you don't even remember the articles you posted.

I am looking at the page now (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/266178/kanye-guns-n-roses-post-slow-debut-week-sales) and their is a percentage or a number on virtually every paragraph!

It kinda states what I've told you. Best Buy didn't really do the same thing Walmart did for AC/DC. Once again. I was in the USA at the time. I have first hand experience of visiting several Best Buy stores that week.

I am not disputing this. I was not exposed to Best Buy's campaign so I cannot really comment too much on it. I believe the album flopped for a series of reasons but I am perfectly willing to entertain the notion that Best Buy had something to do with it.

Also, the second one begins with an interesting fact, I think you ignored that too:

While mainstream media is touting that the Black Friday weekend started the holiday selling season with a bang, music merchandisers certainly didn't have that experience.

Music sales were down anywhere from 10% to 30% and hit albums released for Black Friday didn't perform up to expectations, according to merchants contacted by Billboard. Sources say Kanye West's "808s & Heartbreak" will sell in the range of 425,000-450,000 units, significantly down from 700,000-975,000 units previously projected.

----

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/266178/kanye-guns-n-roses-post-slow-debut-week-sales

Music sales went down. In general.

A bit academic really considering we have only been citing 2008 albums. The context of that passage itself also applies it to Kanye West's release.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3873 on: January 11, 2015, 05:13:12 PM »

The ironic thing is, this is all completely academic. So Axl had un-surmountable obstacles thrown against him, obstacles unprecedented in nature, unique to this superhuman godlike individual that is W. Axl Rose?

Keep ridiculing.

Answer this:

Which one of those albums had the following things working against it?

- Years of negative press.
- Leaks of almost full album months before.
- Exclusivity at electronics retailer.
- Album offered for free as stream on Myspace

I've listed plenty of things that could have an impact on its sales. Instead of you acknowledging them, you keep your usual silly ridiculing tone.

True, but if this person has vowed never to buy a Metallica album again, it affects them both.

I think most Metallica fans had forgiven the band by then. It's always easy to say "never" when you're upset.
It's not like the band had changed a bunch of members and kept doing things their way. Which apparently can make people upset and bitter for decades...

- I have placed for you, statistics. These statistics have been disregarded because, they do not take into consideration the fact that Axl had to climb a series of unprecedented, insurmountable, obstacles, those other acts did not face.

Sales number. Yes.
And I told you, just because it didn't sell as much as Black Ice, it doesn't make it a failure.

I did not disregard them! I've acknowledged the sales plenty of times AND offered possible reason for those numbers. You keep posting numbers, and I keep telling you possible reason for them.
Instead of acknowledging them, you ridicule them. Because you, as well as the rest of us, know you got nothing to come back with. So it's just met with usual ridicule.

The same tactic people like yourself have used for about as long as you haven't been a fan for!

I am looking at the page now (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/266178/kanye-guns-n-roses-post-slow-debut-week-sales) and their is a percentage or a number on virtually every paragraph!

Yes, and it clearly uses words such as expectations, expected.  ok

I believe the album flopped for a series of reasons but I am perfectly willing to entertain the notion that Best Buy had something to do with it.

Didn't flop or fail. Sold less than the so called experts expected? Probably. Don't know what they expected to be honest.

A bit academic really considering we have only been citing 2008 albums. The context of that passage itself also applies it to Kanye West's release.

Not really academic. That's just you trying to discredit the facts mentioned in your objective article.
If all sales are down, it means it's more difficult to sell more of any album....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #3874 on: January 11, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »

Cd was released on nov 23rd, 2008, in the US (aka at Best Buy).

Black Friday was nov 28th, 2008.

Here is a link to a black friday ad archive for best buy for nov, 2008:

http://www.dealigg.com/blackfriday-2008.php?page=1&store=14

Notice cd is listed there for 11.99...its the third item on the list.

Heres another:

http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Best-Buy/2008?page=5

So, yes....it saw a price reduction the week after releaee...from 13.99 to 11.99.

Now...would it shock me to see errata on some tags that ended up showing/printing at 1.99 (truncating the leading 1)? No...and the laws in the us would force the store to sell the mismarked units at that price, until the tags were fixed (which, I'm sure would happen quickly). Giving the benefit of the doubt, even, that was not the intentional price point. It would be like saying the price errata sears had earlier this year on ps4s was somehow indicative of them trying to dump inventory...

So, there you go. There is your price reducton.....a pretty predictable one considering everything goes on sale that weekend/week...after week one.

I've looked for subsequent flyers...theres a few if you google...and i dont see it listed for anything less than that 11.99 price point through the end of 2008 or early 2009. There are gaps in there where i can't find an archived flyer hanging around...but i doubt you'd see a single week, steep, price drop. I'd need to see printed proof in a flyer....

And please....dont point to a $2 price drop planned literally weeks (if not months) in advance as indicative of bb assessment of sales. Those black friday ads had LEAKED before cd was even released.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:52:13 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3875 on: January 11, 2015, 06:42:21 PM »

Nice to see you admit it wasn't 1.99 its second week out...

So he started saying it was reduced to 1 dollar days after it's release

He then said it was $1.99 after a week.   

Now it's not   

Pure garbage
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3876 on: January 11, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »

So you started at $1.  Then moved $1.99.  Now it's a offloaded for a ridiculously low sum remarkably soon after release?

So where was it and when, offloaded for a ridiculously low sum, remarkably after release. 

This is all garbage
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #3877 on: January 11, 2015, 06:51:15 PM »

That is a great deal

I would love to find out one day how much best buy lost in this deal

It would have to be in the 10s of millions I would think

Lost??  confused  I seriously doubt that!!!

That had to be IMO one of the single most brilliant marketing moves ever!!!

Those coupons were only good at BestBuy, which mostly sells electronics.

Obviously they knew me and every other GNR fan was willing to spend at the very least the amount of our pre-orders.  Add on to that the fact of BestBuy having been chosen as the exclusive retailer of Chinese Democracy, they had in my and most every other GNR fan's eyes the 'blessing' of GNR/Axl for us to buy ALL of our electronics/cds/dvds/etc there!

You also have to remember that vinyl records were just beginning to become a popular format again. How many fans actually owned a vinyl record player in 2008??  I easily spent double the amount of those good-will coupons on a new stereo system with a built in record player! And I'm sure a good number of people bought that not-cheap electronic thing that supposedly would correct the distortions or whatever was wrong with the vinyl.  (I didn't buy that thing but, if I recall correctly, that was the first time I bought a big screen tv!)  Grin

Plus it was the start of the Christmas season so having those coupons was another incentive to buy any music or electronic gifts at BestBuy.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:15:26 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #3878 on: January 11, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »

So you started at $1.  Then moved $1.99.  Now it's a offloaded for a ridiculously low sum remarkably soon after release?

So where was it and when, offloaded for a ridiculously low sum, remarkably after release. 

This is all garbage

I can find archived bb flyers, on and off, through 2nd sunday in jan 2009, listing cd. Mostly 13.99, sometimes 11.99. I havent seen anything cheaper.

I havent looked past that point, since that takes us, imho, well outside "remarkably soon after release". If anyone else wants to go further....i just used google.

Its possble, but i dont think plausible, that there was a huge sale for a single week where i cant find a flyer. Having said that, without the flyer showing it, i think thats a tough pitch to make.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:57:07 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3879 on: January 11, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »

This is all garbage

I can find archived bb flyers, on and off, through 2nd sunday in jan 2009, listing cd. Mostly 13.99, sometimes 11.99. I havent seen anything cheaper.

I havent looked past that point, since that takes us, imho, well outside "remarkably soon after release". If anyone else wants to go further....i just used google.

Its possble, but i dont think plausible, that there was a huge sale for a single week where i cant find a flyer. Having said that, without the flyer showing it, i think thats a tough pitch to make.

I don't need to look it up because I remember.  I remember NOT seeing reduced right after it was released.   

I remember it like that so it can't be wrong.   That sounds so stupid, but that's the argument I am reading on here
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: