Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 10:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1681873 times)
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #3420 on: December 29, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »

What is everyone's hopes for the sound of the next album?

- Hard, industrial sound with lots of electronic elements
- A more organic, basic and traditional hard rock sound
- A mix of both perhaps?

Anything written by the current members. I am curious to see what an album by these group of songwriters would sound like. Not really interested in hearing stuff that was leftover from the last album ( At least not for the next release , maybe as part of a box set or a "remix").

Axl's got good songwriters in his band right now. Let's see what they can produce. I'm sure theyre not chomping at the bit to re-record or add layers to pre-existing songs. Or maybe they are who knows?

That and as a songwriter myself who's been hugely inspired by Axl, i'd like to see him write new material that's fresh. I feel that it's better to have fresh material and record it while you still have the feelings associated with said lyrics. It comes across as more honest in the singing. But as a musician i pick up on those things. Just my opinion. 

I think we all agree to some extent... But as GNR fans we know that is not in the cards... so we will take what we can get.

It would also be a waste to spend all of these years and then just skip over all those songs... if it came in a box set plus brand new writing... then yeah ..we'd all be thrilled.

I'm not saying to necesarily skip them, I'm just saying it shouldn't be the next release. If this is truely a band I think he (Axl) owes it to them to see what they can produce. I've read a lot on this board about this being the longest running lineup. They havent recorded anything though (at least that we know of).

Welcome to the forum Ow-So! I would be surprised if we didn't see at least a song or two written by the BBF lineup on the next release. It is interesting though, how few and far between album releases have been. I guess when you only release one album in a great while then you put the aged wine out first because you are the most confident in its taste. It seems to me like if songs are going to get Axl's seal of approval, he has to verify first hand that over time he will continue to like them. Almost like he wants to protect himself from having any regrets about the music he releases. Just a theory though.

Thanks for the welcome RedneckRudy
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3421 on: December 29, 2014, 01:09:38 PM »

I don't disagree with you Jarmo, but in my opinion I would rather hear something by this current lineup before hearing something recorded by a previous Incarnation.

That's your preference. I'd rather hear what Axl thinks should be heard. Not dictated by when/who/what....

If this new lineup made new music chances are it wouldn't sound like CD. Not the same players.

Most of them are on Chinese Democracy. Excluding the Buckethead written tracks, the rest of the album doesn't sound like something the current band couldn't come up with. It's not that "weird".

It's about being true to yourself and your band.

Being true to yourself can also mean not compromising.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3422 on: December 29, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »

Yup... I view it similarly... It's not a band in the traditional sense .. that most of us would prefer to see. All the guys int he band are paid to help Axl do what he wants to do in terms of anything related to GNR and what they record and release.

No member of the current most stable lineup they have ever had has been an inspiration to start writing new songs... apparently.

I agree.

Which is why I never understood the supposed value of that taunt.  What have you done with it?  Nothing.  What has all that stability inspired you to do?  Zip.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #3423 on: December 29, 2014, 01:28:59 PM »

I don't disagree with you Jarmo, but in my opinion I would rather hear something by this current lineup before hearing something recorded by a previous Incarnation.

That's your preference. I'd rather hear what Axl thinks should be heard. Not dictated by when/who/what....

If this new lineup made new music chances are it wouldn't sound like CD. Not the same players.

Most of them are on Chinese Democracy. Excluding the Buckethead written tracks, the rest of the album doesn't sound like something the current band couldn't come up with. It's not that "weird".

/jarmo

Not sure who you mean by when/who/what? Please clarify. Also your comment on that you would rather hear what Axl thinks should be heard would imply that this is Axl's band doesnt it? Should the current members not have a say?

Depends on what you mean by compromising. If it's musically and it's your musical vision then I totally agree with you. If it's dealing with execs on the business side of things then some compromise is always needed. Its just the nature of the beast.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #3424 on: December 29, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »

"Thanks for the welcome RedneckRudy"- Ow So

I hope you like it here and come on as often as you can! It's always great to see a new member on board. Baconman, for example, came along as a newcomer not long ago and already he seems like one of the seasoned veterans. Now I can't imagine what the forums would be like without him.

As for me (and as I've said before), I am convinced that it would be really cool if the Buckethead dial was cranked up on the next album. He is an incredible musician and I think his unique and ambient sound was perhaps a bit under utilized. And from what Jarmo has said about the next album possibly being an extension of the direction CD took (even further away from appetite), I am leaning towards predicting that my wishes might be granted.

I realize he's not in the band anymore, but I would hate to miss out on what he had to offer because of that. I feel like whatever he wrote while he was in GNR can still legitimately be considered GNR. As long as they can find someone capable of playing it live, I don't mind if said performer actually wrote it or not. I realize that's not how everyone feels though, and I definitely understand where the other side is coming from.

DX, haven't they written songs together though? As far as I knew, they worked on stuff but none of it has been released yet and it may be a while until it is released because they have so much other stuff to release first.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:34:49 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3425 on: December 29, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »

If you have great songs, you don't necessarily wanna start writing new ones just for the sake of writing new ones.

Either way, some will find a way to be critical about it no matter what the decision is.  hihi

That's life... not specific to GNR

and I agree... I hope to hear some great songs soon... no matter how old they are

True, but I don't have to many other interests in life that ask, if not demand, such cultish devotion.  Its WAY unhealthy.

As for what we hear, its a fool's errand to start wishing for optimum scenarios such as something written and recorded past 2003 or whatever.  Or songs done by this actual band.  Better off wishing for world peace.  All we can realistically hope for is a new batch of songs from Axl's vault done many moons ago by other dudes.

At the end of the day, its still Axl singing, which is what is keeping about 97% of us invested in this whole thing anyway.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3426 on: December 29, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

I don't disagree with you Jarmo, but in my opinion I would rather hear something by this current lineup before hearing something recorded by a previous Incarnation. That being said, If there are lyrics to a specific song which Axl wrote years ago, why not let the current band see what they can come up with musically. I hear a lot of talk of how much chemistry this band has on stage. On stage chemistry doesn't necesarily equate to in studio chemistry.

People will always be critical about things. This band is unique in the fact that it has one original member so I really dont understand when people critique CD for not sounding like AFD or UYI. No shit it's not the same musicians.

So, people will complain but ultimately as a musician who cares. It's about being true to yourself and your band.

Welcome aboard. 

And good luck.

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #3427 on: December 29, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »

I don't disagree with you Jarmo, but in my opinion I would rather hear something by this current lineup before hearing something recorded by a previous Incarnation. That being said, If there are lyrics to a specific song which Axl wrote years ago, why not let the current band see what they can come up with musically. I hear a lot of talk of how much chemistry this band has on stage. On stage chemistry doesn't necesarily equate to in studio chemistry.

People will always be critical about things. This band is unique in the fact that it has one original member so I really dont understand when people critique CD for not sounding like AFD or UYI. No shit it's not the same musicians.

So, people will complain but ultimately as a musician who cares. It's about being true to yourself and your band.

Welcome aboard. 

And good luck.

Thanks DX
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #3428 on: December 29, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »

DX: "Welcome aboard. 

And good luck."

I agree with the good luck part. Praise the band, someone's not happy. Criticize the band, someone's not happy. Say this or that and someone will not be happy about it! It can be a little intimidating at first, but I suppose that is the nature of a message board.

DX:"At the end of the day, its still Axl singing, which is what is keeping about 97% of us invested in this whole thing anyway."

Agreed! Not only his singing though. Also his songwriting.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #3429 on: December 29, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »

DX: "Welcome aboard. 

And good luck."

I agree with the good luck part. Praise the band, someone's not happy. Criticize the band, someone's not happy. Say this or that and someone will not be happy about it! It can be a little intimidating at first, but I suppose that is the nature of a message board.

DX:"At the end of the day, its still Axl singing, which is what is keeping about 97% of us invested in this whole thing anyway."

Agreed! Not only his singing though. Also his songwriting.

He's an amazing songwriter. Totally my biggest inspiration as a musician.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3430 on: December 29, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »

I've always been drawn more to his live performances. 

In his prime, no one like him.

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #3431 on: December 29, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »

I've always been drawn more to his live performances. 

In his prime, no one like him.

I agree. But I'm sure you'd agree that most of us connected with his lyrics and the honesty behind them. When he sings them live he sings them with that emotion which comes from writing from the heart. Axl always wrote about him not about someone else. 

That's why I would love to hear him record some fresh material. Recordings ( in my opinion) come out better when your still in that place mentally when you wrote the lyrics. Im in my mid 30's now. Im definitely not the same person I was in my 20's. So if I record a song that I wrote 10 years ago it wouldnt feel as honest as when I originally wrote it. Don't know if that makes sense but that's my opinion.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3432 on: December 29, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »

Not sure who you mean by when/who/what? Please clarify. Also your comment on that you would rather hear what Axl thinks should be heard would imply that this is Axl's band doesnt it? Should the current members not have a say?

It means, I'd rather have Axl pick song X if he thinks it's strong enough to be on an album, than write a new song just to write a new song. No matter when song X was recorded or who plays on it.

I'm sure there's a lot of opinions on what the band should release, from band, record company and fans, but I think Axl has a big influence on it.

Depends on what you mean by compromising. If it's musically and it's your musical vision then I totally agree with you. If it's dealing with execs on the business side of things then some compromise is always needed. Its just the nature of the beast.

It means that if you have 15 songs for an album you think people should hear, you put them out no matter if some will attack you for putting out "old" songs.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #3433 on: December 29, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »

It means that if you have 15 songs for an album you think people should hear, you put them out no matter if some will attack you for putting out "old" songs.

[/quote]

Ok, but if this is in fact a band in the true sense of the word as Axl claims they are, wouldn't you want to sell this great band you have by recording new material? I'm all for releasing the "old" songs but just don't think it should be the next release. You have a kick ass band. Let's see what they can do.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3434 on: December 29, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »

No one will "attack" them for releasing songs.  They "attack" them for sitting on their asses and doing nothing for years at a time.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #3435 on: December 29, 2014, 03:31:02 PM »

Ok, but if this is in fact a band in the true sense of the word as Axl claims they are, wouldn't you want to sell this great band you have by recording new material? I'm all for releasing the "old" songs but just don't think it should be the next release. You have a kick ass band. Let's see what they can do.

To be honest, I don't think many people will mind if the songs on the next release are 10 years old. They're still all new songs to the fans. Also, I think the waiting time will be a bit longer if they decide to go with brand new songs written by the current line-up.

About Guns N Roses being "a band in the true sense"... No, they don't operate like a "regular" band. Actually I don't know any other band that operates like GN'R does, and I'm fine with it. Axl is the leader and that's how it'll always be. Even the band members have called it "Axl's band". But, I don't think that gets in the way of letting the creativity flow in the band. Going by several statements coming from the band, Axl doesn't tell them how and what to play when they are creating songs, he wants everyone to participate with their own ideas. Yes, Axl probably has a final say when they are putting together finishing touches, but in the end it's a collaboration.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3436 on: December 29, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »

Who are you trying to sell the band to? I don't think the average music listener pays attention to song writing credits. If they did, many of the popular singers wouldn't be popular since they don't write their own material. Wink

If for example, you play Better to somebody, I don't think they'll say it's a worse song because Robin isn't in the band anymore.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3437 on: December 29, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »

To be honest, I don't think many people will mind if the songs on the next release are 10 years old. They're still all new songs to the fans. Also, I think the waiting time will be a bit longer if they decide to go with brand new songs written by the current line-up.

Totally agree.

I'm in this camp.  Yeah, I'd rather an album of material done by the actual, current band.  But I'm not waiting another god knows how long for it.  Look how much time its taking to get stuff already written and recorded released.  To start over again?  Nah, can't do it.  We'll have a colony on Mars first.

And, like you said, they are still new to us.

About Guns N Roses being "a band in the true sense"... No, they don't operate like a "regular" band. Actually I don't know any other band that operates like GN'R does, and I'm fine with it. Axl is the leader and that's how it'll always be. Even the band members have called it "Axl's band". But, I don't think that gets in the way of letting the creativity flow in the band. Going by several statements coming from the band, Axl doesn't tell them how and what to play when they are creating songs, he wants everyone to participate with their own ideas. Yes, Axl probably has a final say when they are putting together finishing touches, but in the end it's a collaboration.

Largely agree.

Where they are "not a band in the true sense" is all about how they present themselves, I think.  That clinic or whatever where Richard speaks freely was great, but that's hardly the norm.  You can cobble together a collection of throwaway lines here and there over like 7 years of interviews where they talk about the process, but that's not exactly a strong argument its commonplace.  Or illuminating.

I don't follow any other band where its members spend such little time talking about the band they are in.  Or laugh when they get questions about what is going on, because they truly have no clue.  That is where this is Axl's show.  I agree he lets them do their thing in the studio (or did...10 years ago) but he only helps foster their reputation for being dysfunctional by sending them out there so ill equipped to talk about the band.  Whether its because they aren't allowed to say, or truly don't know, that's not good.

I'm not sure I've heard a more damning statement than Ron saying he couldn't even get a call back for 3 weeks.  That's unacceptable.  And that's the kind of shit that makes one roll their eyes when people get their back up about how fucked up an operation this can be.  That is not normal.  Or the least bit professional.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3438 on: December 29, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »

If for example, you play Better to somebody, I don't think they'll say it's a worse song because Robin isn't in the band anymore.

True.

Of course, they'd also ask "what's this?"

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #3439 on: December 29, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »

I don't follow any other band where its members spend such little time talking about the band they are in.  Or laugh when they get questions about what is going on, because they truly have no clue.  That is where this is Axl's show.  I agree he lets them do their thing in the studio (or did...10 years ago) but he only helps foster their reputation for being dysfunctional by sending them out there so ill equipped to talk about the band.  Whether its because they aren't allowed to say, or truly don't know, that's not good.

Richard addressed this in the guitar clinic video where he explained that there is a lot of secrecy around GN'R and the behind-the-scenes operation. He had no answer to why, but that's how Axl wanted it. I do think that the band members are kept in the loop on what's going on, they just don't go public with much of it. After all, he knew Axl was in the studio at the moment laying down vocals. Clearly there's communication within the band, and that's good.

Hopefully they'll be a little more talkative when things are progressing towards a release date. Axl might have a fear of setting fans up for disappointment if too much info are released too soon.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: