Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:54:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1598864 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2900 on: December 09, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »

A remix album would sell just as good as any other guns release right now.   When you say hardcore fans would only buy it.   I differ from that opinion, in that I beleave that is what's left of the current guns buying fan base.    

The people that would buy the remix album would b me the ones that buy the next studio album.   Neither are the casual fans that wouldn't buy either

The casual fans are the ones that would buy another greatest hit release of they would buy a new studio release if and only if it had a hit single

This isn't a bad thing though as guns hard core fan base is huge.  So any release will be a hit.  Just not a huge huge hit, without a hit song
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #2901 on: December 09, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »

^^Huh, that's a good point bacon. I also think it might be able to lure in some people that never got around to listening to CD the first time, especially if it sounds modern enough to get on the radio. 

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2902 on: December 09, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »

I'd be curious if by 'remix' they mean using the same recording or rather re-doing the song completely (like they did with You're Crazy on Lies).  Something like that would interest me.  For that matter, an EP, like a Lies Part 2, would be very nice... one side of the more recent live covers (Whole Lotta Rosie, Seeker, etc) and the other side acoustic versions of a few CD songs plus a couple new acoustic songs.  Of course, I'd prefer an all new album first and foremost...
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #2903 on: December 09, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »

^^ Amen to that (like they did with you're crazy on Lies)! That's what I thought when I heard remix album.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2904 on: December 09, 2014, 02:47:56 PM »

A remix album would sell just as good as any other guns release right now.   When you say hardcore fans would only buy it.   I differ from that opinion, in that I beleave that is what's left of the current guns buying fan base.    

The people that would buy the remix album would b me the ones that buy the next studio album.   Neither are the casual fans that wouldn't buy either

The casual fans are the ones that would buy another greatest hit release of they would buy a new studio release if and only if it had a hit single

This isn't a bad thing though as guns hard core fan base is huge.  So any release will be a hit.  Just not a huge huge hit, without a hit song

I disagree because I think there are plenty of fans that would be interested in new material, but don't have the same fire for the umpteenth mix of 'Better'.

I'm also not sure about their being a hardcore fanbase that is still huge.  Like it or not, we are likely to lose several people from the number that bought CD and didn't dig it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2905 on: December 09, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »

I disagree because I think there are plenty of fans that would be interested in new material, but don't have the same fire for the umpteenth mix of 'Better'.

I'm also not sure about their being a hardcore fanbase that is still huge.  Like it or not, we are likely to lose several people from the number that bought CD and didn't dig it.
We will disagree here then
I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan.   Yet I have never heard any remix of better or any other song.  Nor want to unless it's released as an album. Is your argument that people that have sought out downloads of remixs would not purchase a remix album release?   A few pages back you used the argument that with the demo leaks of CD that you said anyone who downloaded those leaks probably bought the album.  Why wouldn't that apply with the remixs.

Have you ever heard somone that bought CD not liking it   I havnt.    I have heard of people not like ing it but more times then not they never bought it

The majority of people that bought CD will buy the remix
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2906 on: December 09, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »

Completely agree.

The truth is....the vast majority of rock fans are literally dumb.  Many bought Chinese and were sincerely disappointed when it didn't sound like Appetite.  Those of us with brains, and have been following GNR post Slash, were well aware that there was going to be a very different direction taken musically with Chinese, and rolled with it.  

Now, in 2014-15, the proverbial veil has been lifted on what GNR post Slash sounds like.  Chinese sold well, and many dug it.  But it would be extremely naive to think that it's not going to take a hit sales-wise, and likely not sell nearly as much as Chinese did.  This is no fault of the band.  Even in the past 6 years, much has changed, and less people than ever are buying albums.

We're living in the age of the 'single'.  All we can hope for is that GNR gives us a solid digital release, along with some physical prints, especially vinyl.  The fans will come out, but the dullards that were looking for 'Welcome Back To The Jungle' on Chinese Democracy will likely not come out to play this time.  
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2907 on: December 09, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »

I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan.   Yet I have never heard any remix of better or any other song.  Nor want to unless it's released as an album. Is your argument that people that have sought out downloads of remixs would not purchase a remix album release?   A few pages back you used the argument that with the demo leaks of CD that you said anyone who downloaded those leaks probably bought the album.  Why wouldn't that apply with the remixs.

Because the leaks were new songs.  Its exciting.  A remix of a song I already have, just with a differnet backing track?  Not the same level of excitement.

Have you ever heard somone that bought CD not liking it   I havnt.

I do not personally know one other human being that bought that thing.

I played it for a shit ton of people.  Did not spur anyone into picking it up.  And really, only had a small handful that asked me to burn them a song or two.

The overwhelming reactions I got were "this doesn't sound like GNR" (applicable to every single song except 'Street Of Dreams' and 'IRS') and "Axl barely even sounds like Axl" (applicable to songs like 'Madagascar' and 'Prostitute').

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #2908 on: December 09, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »

Completely agree.

The truth is....the vast majority of rock fans are literally dumb.  Many bought Chinese and were sincerely disappointed when it didn't sound like Appetite.  Those of us with brains, and have been following GNR post Slash, were well aware that there was going to be a very different direction taken musically with Chinese, and rolled with it.  

Now, in 2014-15, the proverbial veil has been lifted on what GNR post Slash sounds like.  Chinese sold well, and many dug it.  But it would be extremely naive to think that it's not going to take a hit sales-wise, and likely not sell nearly as much as Chinese did.  This is no fault of the band.  Even in the past 6 years, much has changed, and less people than ever are buying albums.

We're living in the age of the 'single'.  All we can hope for is that GNR gives us a solid digital release, along with some physical prints, especially vinyl.  The fans will come out, but the dullards that were looking for 'Welcome Back To The Jungle' on Chinese Democracy will likely not come out to play this time.  

This was such a great post! I couldn't agree more. Also: "The fans will come out, but the dullards that were looking for 'Welcome Back To The Jungle' on Chinese Democracy will likely not come out to play this time" was something I really got a kick out of. I think it cannot be stressed enough how low music sales are. It makes me wonder all the more what their tactics will be for getting new stuff out there and getting some payback out of it.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2909 on: December 09, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »

I agree with sofine11, 100%.

It boggled my mind how many people were shocked it sounded so different.  Often times, knowing who my friend's favorite bands were, I would ask them if <insert singer here> disbanded the group and brought in a whole new cast, would they really expect it to sound the same?

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2910 on: December 09, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »

Completely agree.

This was such a great post! I couldn't agree more. Also: "The fans will come out, but the dullards that were looking for 'Welcome Back To The Jungle' on Chinese Democracy will likely not come out to play this time" was something I really got a kick out of. I think it cannot be stressed enough how low music sales are. It makes me wonder all the more what their tactics will be for getting new stuff out there and getting some payback out of it.

Axl may live outside of human time, and drive his fans crazy to no end, but he's a smart man and seems to be very savvy to the state of the industry.  He has to understand the importance of a well-executed digital release at this point.  I firmly believe, whenever we may see the next GNR release, digital will be the concentration.  Again, some special CD prints and vinyl should just compliment that, targeting the hardcore fanbase.  Passive rock fans are far more likely to pay the $1.25 for the lead single anyway the week it's released.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2911 on: December 09, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »

I would be very interested in a remix album.  If some of those Chinese songs were presented differently, it could make the whole Chinese experience even better.  I believe a remix of Chinese would only add to the whole Chinese Democracy saga/legacy and be even bigger for future generations.  

With that said, I think that if the next release is JUST a remix album of Chinese, it wouldn't be the best move for the band both from a popularity standpoint and also financial standpoint.  Best case scenario, a remix album would come out along side an album of fresh material.              

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #2912 on: December 09, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »

I would be very interested in a remix album.  If some of those Chinese songs were presented differently, it could make the whole Chinese experience even better.  I believe a remix of Chinese would only add to the whole Chinese Democracy saga/legacy and be even bigger for future generations.  

With that said, I think that if the next release is JUST a remix album of Chinese, it wouldn't be the best move for the band both from a popularity standpoint and also financial standpoint.  Best case scenario, a remix album would come out along side an album of fresh material.              

I would have no issue in getting it as a bonus whatever...obviously.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2913 on: December 09, 2014, 03:46:22 PM »

I would have no issue in getting it as a bonus whatever...obviously.

Sure, a bonus with the next album would be cool.  But certainly not on its own.  Either way, I think Axl being in the studio with Chris is a good sign as far as where his head is at for the next step the band takes, meaning new music.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2914 on: December 09, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »

Why not on its own?

A bonus with another album wouldn't make 100% sense. Since they aren't remixes of those songs. Unless it's some kind of reissue of Chinese Democracy....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #2915 on: December 09, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »

Why not on its own?

A bonus with another album wouldn't make 100% sense. Since they aren't remixes of those songs. Unless it's some kind of reissue of Chinese Democracy....

/jarmo

I'm sorry...

I know you don't agree and quite frankly that's quite ok...

After 20 years and only one album... the next release being just a remix of the aforementioned record would be a big disappointment to me.

I would buy it... I'm sure I wouldn't dislike it... but again.. that would be disappointing to me.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2916 on: December 09, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »

Why not on its own?

/jarmo

Well, a few years back when the Brain remix album was first being talked about, I thought it would be a cool second disk to the 're-release' with the correct covers that never materialized.  After that didn't happen, and over six years post Chinese have passed, I guess I'm just not sure who a Chinese Democracy re-mix album would appeal to.  Unless it's done purely as a love-letter to the hardcore fanbase, which I guess isn't completely outside the realm of possibilities.

If the next album is indeed what Axl considers to be the second half of Chinese, the remix album may still fit thematically, if included as a bonus.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2917 on: December 09, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »

After 20 years and only one album... the next release being just a remix of the aforementioned record would be a big disappointment to me.

You and most people, I suspect.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2918 on: December 09, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »

Because the leaks were new songs.  Its exciting.  A remix of a song I already have, just with a differnet backing track?  Not the same level of excitement.

Have you ever heard somone that bought CD not liking it   I havnt.

I do not personally know one other human being that bought that thing.

I played it for a shit ton of people.  Did not spur anyone into picking it up.  And really, only had a small handful that asked me to burn them a song or two.

The overwhelming reactions I got were "this doesn't sound like GNR" (applicable to every single song except 'Street Of Dreams' and 'IRS') and "Axl barely even sounds like Axl" (applicable to songs like 'Madagascar' and 'Prostitute').

Couple of things.  

So if Guns released a new album tomorrow and if was a remix album would you buy it.  Yes or no?

Also it sounds like you are from the United states.  I am saying this because of what you said the response you had when playing CD to friends and also not knowing anyone who bought it.   I would say that the American fan base is not Guns current greatest fan base.   In fact, it's one of there weakest.

In Canada CD was a number 1 record   I know many people that bought it.  It was a big hit here.  It was a big hit in Europe Asia and in South America.    These countries are guns current demo.  These countries are the ones that will support any release from the band.   These countries will be the ones selling out arenas and attending huge heading lineing concerts the band.   These are the hard core fans these are the true fans

Quite frankly I couldn't careless what sells in the United states.   The general "needy" nature of American fans blows me away.  But I stick to what I said.  The majority of people that bought CD will buy a remix record.   That includes Americans.   Where say CD truely only sold around 500000 in the USA, if you forget that best buy deal.   Out of those 500000 copies sold I am sure that is pretty much Guns hard core American fan base and a large if not all percentage of them will buy a remix.  
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2919 on: December 09, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »

Why not on its own?

/jarmo

I'm sorry...

I know you don't agree and quite frankly that's quite ok...

I would buy it... I'm sure I wouldn't dislike it... but again.. that would be disappointing to me.

Disappointing to me would be no new music.   No album of any kind   

If a remix album was released next, I wouldn't be disappointed.    It wouldn't be my first choice of what to release next but I would accept it and hope to hear new music asap

Another greatest hits album would disappoint me
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: