Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 06:22:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1607095 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2060 on: November 21, 2014, 11:06:43 AM »

Beyonce & U2 have recently had great success with surprise releases, which garnered a ton of media attention. 

True, but some of the attention was a backlash.

For example, putting an exclusive on iTunes will piss off Amazon. "Forcing" an album on people will piss people off.
These are things you need to consider...

And then the fact that a digital only release wouldn't sit well with a lot of hardcore fans who want a physical copy in their hands. I can relate to this. Nothing like holding a cd, or a vinyl, in your hands.

Secret club show in NYC, broadcast to the masses on Sirius XM (or, alternately, streamed free through "someone"), followed the next day by an I-tunes single release.

Or stream it through the official site like in the past?

/jarmo

Oh yeah, U2 have certainly faced a ton of scrutiny regarding their album, especially from their "piers" in the music community.  A lot of which I agree with. I guess I just mean that we're in a new age of digital releases, where some cool "outside the box" options for releases available to artists like Guns. 
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #2061 on: November 21, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »

Beyonce & U2 have recently had great success with surprise releases, which garnered a ton of media attention. 

True, but some of the attention was a backlash.

For example, putting an exclusive on iTunes will piss off Amazon. "Forcing" an album on people will piss people off.
These are things you need to consider...

And then the fact that a digital only release wouldn't sit well with a lot of hardcore fans who want a physical copy in their hands. I can relate to this. Nothing like holding a cd, or a vinyl, in your hands.

Secret club show in NYC, broadcast to the masses on Sirius XM (or, alternately, streamed free through "someone"), followed the next day by an I-tunes single release.

Or stream it through the official site like in the past?

/jarmo

There's going to be some backlash regardless of what they do, right?  There's never an option that will please everyone (I know Axl hand delivered me CDII...but I really wanted Axl AND Tommy to show up).  And that's not just specific to GnR.  Some people applauded U2 for their iTunes release, some criticized.  Same with Beyonce.  But that criticism didn't stop those artists from delivering their product.

Any of those options sound cool, and I hope they're under consideration.  I just hope that perceived backlash isn't a reason for inaction.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2062 on: November 21, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »

I didn't quite get the extent of the backlash with the U2 iTunes thing.  Granted, I would be annoyed if my iTunes got invaded with an album from a band whose music I thought sucked, like Bon Jovi (boom!), but it takes a second to delete.  Seemed a bit overdramatic to me.  
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2063 on: November 21, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »

Yeah, with all the new opportunities comes different challenges though. It used to be enough to put out a record, it would be made into tapes and LPs. That was it. Now all the retailers want something, exclusives here, special edition there. Sometimes it's hard to keep track who has the best version of an album available!  hihi

I read that Billboard will start taking into account the streaming services. So even if nobody buys a song, streaming will count towards sales.... Maybe this will make putting new music on Spotify and such services more attractive?

I think the way the Appetite For Democracy movie was released was a good idea. It reminds me of how movie studios do it. First the general version, then the special one for the hardcore fans. Yes, it means hardcore fans might buy it twice because they want it as soon as possible, but that's probably a small price to pay to have the "deluxe" version later...

Anyhow, the question remains. Would you rather have a proper announcement and then a release later, or a complete surprise where you basically find out by accident that the new album is out? Which do you prefer and why?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2064 on: November 21, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »

I read that Billboard will start taking into account the streaming services. So even if nobody buys a song, streaming will count towards sales.... Maybe this will make putting new music on Spotify and such services more attractive?

Really seems like Spotify dicks the artists though.  Pretty much pays them in scraps.

Anyhow, the question remains. Would you rather have a proper announcement and then a release later, or a complete surprise where you basically find out by accident that the new album is out? Which do you prefer and why?

A proper announcement and then a release later.

Its not even so much that I think that's all that better, I just don't know the other way is even doable.  Its very hard to keep anything a secret these days.

Even if you went the super stealthy route and kept things out of the press, the jig is would be up when that first leak comes out.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2065 on: November 21, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »

Yeah, with all the new opportunities comes different challenges though. It used to be enough to put out a record, it would be made into tapes and LPs. That was it. Now all the retailers want something, exclusives here, special edition there. Sometimes it's hard to keep track who has the best version of an album available!  hihi

I think the way the Appetite For Democracy movie was released was a good idea. It reminds me of how movie studios do it. First the general version, then the special one for the hardcore fans. Yes, it means hardcore fans might buy it twice because they want it as soon as possible, but that's probably a small price to pay to have the "deluxe" version later...

/jarmo

For Guns, as much as I'd like new music sooner than later, I would imagine a proper announcement followed by a solid first single on itunes would be the way to go to build hype. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2066 on: November 21, 2014, 11:45:49 AM »

For Guns, as much as I'd like new music sooner than later, I would imagine a proper announcement followed by a solid first single on itunes would be the way to go to build hype. 

So the "old school" way.

And what about when artists release little info at a time? Like song titles, artwork?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #2067 on: November 21, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »

So the "old school" way.

And what about when artists release little info at a time? Like song titles, artwork?

/jarmo

I really do not have a preference.  Having a proper release date would be cool because we could talk about it here and maybe the band would drop bits and pieces of songs as the release date got closer?but having a surprise release would also be pretty sweet, responding to the changed dynamics to releasing music nowadays.

Under either scenario, new music gets to the market, which is the ultimate goal.  However they want to deliver it is cool with me.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2068 on: November 21, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »

I didn't quite get the extent of the backlash with the U2 iTunes thing.  Granted, I would be annoyed if my iTunes got invaded with an album from a band whose music I thought sucked, like Bon Jovi (boom!), but it takes a second to delete.  Seemed a bit overdramatic to me.  

Agreed.  Not sure how this was some hardship.

Have these people never gotten an e-mail they didn't want?  Did they shit down their accounts?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2069 on: November 21, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »

So the "old school" way.

Yeah, probably.

I still remember CIRCUS magazine printing the UYI tracklist in every issue in the months before it came out.

But what always struck me goofy was how they had 'You Could Mine' as the lead track off UYI I.  This, despite us seeing an MTV video in heavy rotation at the time that listed it on UYI II.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2070 on: November 21, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »

Have these people never gotten an e-mail they didn't want?  Did they shit down their accounts?

Everybody excepts junk mail, spam and telemarketers calling. Nobody expects a new cd they didn't order or agree to get, to appear in their record collection. I guess...

/jarmo

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2071 on: November 21, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »

So the "old school" way.

/jarmo

Guns are at an advantage where every time Axl does well...pretty much anything...there's a write up in Rolling Stone and Billboard about it.  The man has mystique, and that's not something every artist has.  Meaning, there's really no "bad" option Axl could take as a lead up to a release, as long as he has the industry backing him up.  

So, he could release the cover and tracklist as well, and that would drive the music world bananas.  Having that followed up by a tight single soon after would only be icing on the cake.
mortismurphy
« Reply #2072 on: November 21, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »

Old school: single, video, artwork, tracklisting, few interviews, release.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2073 on: November 21, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »

Everybody excepts junk mail, spam and telemarketers calling. Nobody expects a new cd they didn't order or agree to get, to appear in their record collection. I guess...

I suppose.  But it takes literally 3 seconds to get rid of.  

And you are getting a free listen.  Even if you only find one song you like, that's not a bad deal.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2074 on: November 21, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »

That one interests me the most.

Talk up your band.  Talk up their talents.  Talk up their work.

No more about Slash the cancer and what a struggle it is going through your life.  We're all set on that stuff, believe me. 

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2075 on: November 21, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »

Why a video?
Seems like videos, unless they go viral, are a bit of a waste of money nowadays.... Maybe that's offset by the fact that videos can be made on most laptops though.

I suppose.  But it takes literally 3 seconds to get rid of.  

Invasion of your personal space....

Guns are at an advantage where every time Axl does well...pretty much anything...there's a write up in Rolling Stone and Billboard about it.  The man has mystique, and that's not something every artist has. 

That is true.

This would be the good side of the argument that he doesn't give enough interviews or Tweet enough.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:27:27 PM by jarmo » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2076 on: November 21, 2014, 12:28:07 PM »

Invasion of your personal space....

Welcome to the world, I'm afraid.

Unless people think its a coincidence that the banner ad they see on a site just happens to be for the product they were just looking at on Amazon 20 minutes prior.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2077 on: November 21, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »

There's a difference in banner ads or spam e-mails, and having some files you didn't ask for in your iTunes library....

I can see why some people would be upset by the stunt.

Imagine if they had just sent an e-mail saying: Congrats! Apple and U2 wants you to have their album for free. Click here to download at no cost.

But then again, that would not be cutting edge or thinking outside the box...

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2078 on: November 21, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »

The backlash means no one will ever try it again.

But I'm sure more than one band wish they thought of it.

mortismurphy
« Reply #2079 on: November 21, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »

Why a video?
Seems like videos, unless they go viral, are a bit of a waste of money nowadays.... Maybe that's offset by the fact that videos can be made on most laptops though.

/jarmo

It is an extra bit of promotion, and might even be a chance to produce something artistic or amusing, but a video is not essential.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: