Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:40:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1681832 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1740 on: September 27, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »

The fact that this thread hasn't been touched in so long is sad.  Is there a chance we may never hear The General & Soul Monster?  no

They were touring just a few months ago.

When was the last Tool album again? How long between The Downward Spiral and The Fragile from NIN? How long between albums from Aerosmith, Jane's Addiction, etc?

If the band takes a year off right now - so what? It hasn't been that long since they were touring.

Bull!  When people on here start bringing up how other bands do things certain ways, some are SO quick to say how GNR aren't like other bands.  So don't do it now.  Don't make some excuse about how "other bands" aren't releasing things either.   

100% accurate.  Its lacks any sort of credibility.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1741 on: September 27, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »

It's very annoying when people say "Oh Tool/NIN etc don't regularly release albums either". FFS, both those frontmen do plenty of other musical work outside of their main projects. Plus I'm pretty sure neither:

- Went 17 or so years without releasing original music
- Came back wanting to prove a new musical direction "round 1" etc and stated they have many albums worth of material only to fail to release it (or show any genuine desire to)

Rightly or wrongly Axl needed to prove his new "vision" was worthy of the GNR name and to justify the old band breaking up. Sadly only a very deluded fan could say he has taken the name and made the most with it. Sorry to be so negative but I think it's a pretty realitic point of view.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #1742 on: September 27, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »

It's very annoying when people say "Oh Tool/NIN etc don't regularly release albums either". FFS, both those frontmen do plenty of other musical work outside of their main projects. Plus I'm pretty sure neither:

- Came back wanting to prove a new musical direction "round 1" etc and stated they have many albums worth of material only to fail to release it (or show any genuine desire to)

Rightly or wrongly Axl needed to prove his new "vision" was worthy of the GNR name and to justify the old band breaking up. Sadly only a very deluded fan could say he has taken the name and made the most with it. Sorry to be so negative but I think it's a pretty realitic point of view.

It didn't go 17 years or so without music 👻

He stated that "plenty of music"-thing while they were under the old managers. Can't blame the guy for wanting to do things right now that the management is more stable. We all know Axl is a perfectionist, and want things to be right when they're done. The things wasn't right then, and we don't know if they're right now. Besides, if I were a big rock star I would enjoy touring more than releasing albums. The tours have vern a success so far, so that's a valid argument for not having a rush bout realeasing a new one imediatly. That makes the art much better you know, when it comes out of wanting it, and not because anyone demands it....

I'd say they've made more than enough out of the Gn'R name. More people are positive to the 'new' Guns now than there were when CD came out. The massive touring is reason to that. Commob! Most people wouldn't even give em a chance. But they've proven 'the vision' if thats what u wanna call it.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1743 on: September 27, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »

I said "new music". Illusions were released in 91, CD was released in 2008. Not really sure how that can be argued?

Ok well if you can justify it in your own mind then fine but sheesh I grew up in a religious household that predicted armageddon would come in the early 80's. They still keep believing it'll come and no amount of reasoning will dissaude their beliefs as they can always justify the delay. I get the same frustrated feeling discussing GNR with fans on this board. It just defies all rational logic to argue that they haven't underdelivered big time. I used to be a regular on this board many years ago and the repeated "you'll see, Axl has a plan etc etc etc chatter has amounted to one good album which is great but the much vaunted trilogy/albums worth recorded was sadly not to be.

Your point about being a big rock star and wanting to tour rather than create and release music. Well, I guess that's the differance in attitude between a 'rock star' and an artist. With respect I hope I never think that way.

As for your 3rd point about the band proving more than enough and fulfilling their vision. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:16:03 PM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #1744 on: September 27, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »

I said "new music". Illusions were released in 91, CD was released in 2008. Not really sure how that can be argued?

Oh My God 1998. Which is a fan favourite and much wanted song at live shows.

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1745 on: September 27, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »

Ok you win. One demo, GNR has been prolific Smiley
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #1746 on: September 27, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »

It just defies all rational logic to argue that they haven't underdelivered big time.

Your point about being a big rock star and wanting to tour rather than create and release music. Well, I guess that's the differance in attitude between a 'rock star' and an artist. With respect I hope I never think that way.

As for your 3rd point about the band proving more than enough and fulfilling their vision. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

What rational logic is saying underdelivered big time? Touring every year, except one, since 2006? Building up a solid band of professional musicians that has proven through theese tours being more than "hired hands"? Releasing one helluva great album? Having hordes of fans screaming for more, more and more is underdelivering? No, that means people like what they hear and want more because of that. That must not be confused with underdelivering, because then people wouldn't be so eager for more.

I might not expressed myself clearly enough about the 'rock-star' thing. What I mean is that yes, it looks like fun to tour, but that is of course where artists really see that people like their art. True artists are of course blessed with that inner creative force which is urging them to create something beautiful. But that beautiful art has to be on the artists premisses, not some 'market'. And in the meanwhile it sure must be more fun touring than sitting in a rehearsal room tryin to force something out because the 'fans' are demanding it.

I agree on disagreeing on that last one 👌

Further, maybe the silence from the band regarding new releases is a good thing, and when they first is coming with a statement next time, things are really happening. I believe no one thinks guns is saying things because they want to let unpatient fans down, but because they believe what they're saying. And then something bureaucratic shit is happening or something....

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1747 on: September 27, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »

Its absolutely realistic.

This is just about the only GNR forum where people can tell you Axl has played this all perfectly, really not too much you could fault, and anyone that does is out of line.

Even if you harbor no ill will towards Axl or the new line up, no one sane could look at how he's operated since 2000 and laud it.  Unless it was a wind up.  Even if you desperately want to believe, you have to be realistic.  He's really half assed this whole thing.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1748 on: September 27, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »

There's an old saying in show business that goes "If you show a gun in act one, you must fire it in act two."

I always think about that whenever I recall how Axl said Chinese would be a double album, was considering a fall '09 release for the second album, talked about the upcoming songs, etc...Only to allow five years go by without ever mentioning the prospect of the next album again.

It seems that Axl is not only not firing "the gun" in act two, he's seemingly pretending like it never existed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:23:35 PM by sofine11 » Logged
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1749 on: September 27, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »

There's an old saying in show business that goes "If you show a gun in act one, you must fire it in act two."

I always think about that whenever I recall how Axl said Chinese would be a double album, was considering a fall '09 release for the second album, talked about the upcoming songs, etc...Only to allow five years go by without ever mentioning the prospect of the next album again.

It seems that Axl is not only not firing "the gun" in act two, he's seemingly pretending like it never existed.

Axl mentioned having a full album of electronic rock in 2000 I believe. A full 13 years ago.........and people act like there is no problem. Helllloooooo there's an elephant in the room!!!!.......Fan "No there isn't, how dare you think that"
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #1750 on: September 28, 2013, 01:25:32 AM »

Axl mentioned having a full album of electronic rock in 2000 I believe. A full 13 years ago.........and people act like there is no problem. Helllloooooo there's an elephant in the room!!!!.......Fan "No there isn't, how dare you think that"

There's also a saying "the plan is nothing, planning is everything". No wonder that the GnR camp is careful now, when fans are bitchin' about things "mentioned" 13 years ago...

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1751 on: September 28, 2013, 03:27:06 AM »

There's also a saying "the plan is nothing, planning is everything". No wonder that the GnR camp is careful now, when fans are bitchin' about things "mentioned" 13 years ago...

You can't be serious. So a band has such insecurity that they can't write, record and release music (this is a band remember. it's sole function is to make music) that they can no longer mention the idea of making music because they don't have the belief that they can do it.  And this is THE FANS fault?Huh? for saying ummm hey guys you mentioned that you spent the last 10 years in a bunker making music and managed to create some great stuff why not release it??

Talk about perverted logic. Stop blaming the messenger. i swear if this band had never released CD and simply toured on AFD you would still think that's fine and blame fans for saying ummm new GNR wheres the beef?

Anyway if it's good enough for the band members to mention being frustrated it's good enough for anyone with an independent thought in their brain. Name another band that has delivered less than GNR...I mean an 'active' band. Even one of the perfectionist groups like Tool or NIN.  One that the frontman hasn't released music in various side projects??

Yes people bitch about songs 'mentioned' 13 years ago. 13 years is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY (breath) YYYYYYYYY too long to have recorded songs and not manage to release them. Unless they aren't that good. It's not that complicated. Every other band in the world can do it. When you are the only one that is disfunctional the problem isn't the rest of the worldit's you....simple.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:36:51 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #1752 on: September 28, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »

You can't be serious. So a band has such insecurity that they can't write, record and release music (this is a band remember. it's sole function is to make music) that they can no longer mention the idea of making music because they don't have the belief that they can do it.  And this is THE FANS fault?Huh? for saying ummm hey guys you mentioned that you spent the last 10 years in a bunker making music and managed to create some great stuff why not release it??

Talk about perverted logic. Stop blaming the messenger. i swear if this band had never released CD and simply toured on AFD you would still think that's fine and blame fans for saying ummm new GNR wheres the beef?

Anyway if it's good enough for the band members to mention being frustrated it's good enough for anyone with an independent thought in their brain. Name another band that has delivered less than GNR...I mean an 'active' band. Even one of the perfectionist groups like Tool or NIN.  One that the frontman hasn't released music in various side projects??

Yes people bitch about songs 'mentioned' 13 years ago. 13 years is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY (breath) YYYYYYYYY too long to have recorded songs and not manage to release them. Unless they aren't that good. It's not that complicated. Every other band in the world can do it. When you are the only one that is disfunctional the problem isn't the rest of the worldit's you....simple.

I'm serious. I didn't say anything about insecurity. I simply said that fans whine every time someone in the band allow themselves to speak somewhat freely about their visions. If Axl had a vision in 2000 to release an industrial album or whatever you said, it's not strange if someones vision changes in 5 years. Band changes and management didn't make it easy, so theres plenty of time to come up with other ideas which again will have an impact on the vision.

Who said they spent ten years in a bunker? Can you show me a link?

Yes, I would probably be happy to see Gn'R touring with anything, but I would not be satisfied. With CD I'm satisfied. I always hope for many CD songs in the setlist when Im at a show. And with CD Guns proved to be true amazing band. They needed Chinese Democracy to prove they were more than a 'backup band'. CD was important for me to when it comes to that. So no, not releasing anything and just continue with old songs would not be satisfying in the run. But CD holds more rounds of touring IMO, and it even deserves being toured with because of the epic album it is.

I can name many bands delivering less than Gn'R. I prefer quality over quantity. Actually I can't think of any bands that have delivered better than Gn'R👍

About that last bit in your post. I don't think neither me or you knows how complicated or not the music business is....

Princess Leia
« Reply #1753 on: September 28, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »

Last month Chris Pitman said in an interview that they are in no rush to make an album because people don?t buy albums anymore.  And so far I haven?t seen neither Axl nor other band members say that Pitman was wrong. You can say you will buy it. But making an album is expensive. And if they are not sure they can sell millions like in the old days, well they might not be willing to gamble. Now GN?R has official facebook and twitter. So maybe the issue of what was said 13 years ago should be asked there. I don?t have the answer.
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #1754 on: September 28, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »

If Axl said he was working on new music, people would be demanding on when it would be out. I think he learned his lesson by just not saying anything about it.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #1755 on: September 30, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »

15 new, original songs in 22 years. Facts are facts

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1756 on: September 30, 2013, 10:07:24 AM »

Apparently the answer to being challenged on being  all talk no action is to be no talk no action. Yep when people say I'm full of it for claiming I have written a literary masterpiece I decided to stop claiming it. Voila people started believing I had written one...........brilliant. What a bunch of arseholes those people were for asking me to show my hand.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1757 on: September 30, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »

Your analogy is somewhat flawed.

People wouldn't believe you because you never managed to do anything alike in the past.... It's like a rookie saying he'll break all the records in his first season.....  Wink

In GN'R's case, there's no solution. Talk about the album and every word will be analyzed, criticized, twisted and so on. And if you don't talk about it, it can't exist....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1758 on: September 30, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »

You make a good point Jarmo. I thought the analogy was flawed as i wrote it but to be honest was too lazy to think of another one Smiley That said the basic point stands. They made comments over many years (not months) and we all backed them up for years, that the wait for CD wasn't so great because they were building a solid foundation for a grand return by writing and recording solidly and had built up a war-chest of great music to release and create a new era with the new band.

There is no doubt the you and I both defended the unbelievable wait for CD by telling friends and doubters that "Hey, it's not like this wait is all for one album. they have recorded a few albums worth of material. wait and see'. We all did that because the concept that the wait for ONE album seemed indefensible to us fans even back then in 2002-2008.

It's undeniable that the naysayers were right. The band did  not back up the words they spoke. Blame this on the fans all you want but it's fact. Your comparison to being like a rookie saying they will break records etc is actually a little flawed in itself. This is basically a new band. Only one original member remains. a name/brand alone doesn't constitute a band. they have done ONE ALBUM in about 15 years or so. You can spin that in any way you want but the basic test of logic is irrefutable. That's not indicative of a group of hungry musicians and artists that have a lot to say, a lot to express and a love of creating.

Your last sentence is interesting. There is a solution. You are a creative entity right?? You want to have "freedom through musical integrity" right?? you want to be viewed with respect from fans and peers right.......the solution is simple. Make music.

Be quiet, talk, do whatever....talking or silence isn't the issue, either approach works so long as you do something.

If you create a new band and don't create new music (In the context of NU-GNR and all the talk of new vision, the old band not wanting to explore musical styles etc) then of course you leave yourself open for criticism. Discussing making new music or remaining silent will have no effect..... people judge on actions not words or lack of.

If you have an issue with non fans judging on lack of action then good luck. The lack of respect is somewhat deserved. If you want to judge fans on being disappointed/frustrated (and expressing it in a respectful way) in the total lack of action then you don't support fans of music and are fighting a battle you will never win. You can be a fan of personality all you want, some of us are fans of music. Smiley

no other band (Tool/NIN) have these issues. They are 'perfectionists' but they are continually creative in other forms. releasing music in other names and bands or movie scores etc I don't mean the hired hands I mean Trent and Maynard. They then release official band albums every 5 years or so...give or take. They gain respect because they are creative entities. They do things on their own terms but the one thing that gains respect is they CREATE.

GNR DO NOT CREATE. You cannot demand respect, you just can't. You earn it.

Ok rant over Smiley

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:18:50 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1759 on: September 30, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »

Create doesn't equal release.

There's been examples of songs being created and recorded in the past that were never officially released...

There's also the aspect of creating something meaningful enough for yourself that you don't want it to be treated as some product that is supposed to be used once and destroyed.
Meaning, you can spend X amount of time writing songs and recording them, but you don't want to release them until you feel comfortable with the situation and the people involved.

There's no one rule that fits all artists. Some pay more attention to certain details than others.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: