Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1681796 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1700 on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »

Does anyone else think that perhaps the reason Axl has yet to get the current lineup together to record is because he has yet to properly release the next "Chinese" era record?

Think about it, if initially he was entertaining the notion of releasing it a year after Chinese dropped, (see his "Maybe same bat time same bat channel next year, but we'll see" comment) tracks for the next album must have been pretty far along, if not, completed.   You would think that after all the work that was put into them that Axl would not simply scrap all those unreleased songs just to start anew.  At least, you'd hope he wouldn't.

Could the delay in getting this music out be the reason we have yet to hear news of the current lineup in the studio?  If so, I honestly wouldn't mind, as we've heard that there's some really great stuff in the can the we have yet to hear, like The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster etc.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:03:13 PM by sofine11 » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1701 on: July 29, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »

Does anyone else think that perhaps the reason Axl has yet to get the current lineup together to record is because he has yet to properly release the next "Chinese" era record?

Think about it, if initially he was entertaining the notion of releasing it a year after Chinese dropped, (see his "Maybe same bat time same bat channel next year, but we'll see" comment) tracks for the next album must have been pretty far along, if not, completed.   You would think that after all the work that was put into them that Axl would not simply scrap all those unreleased songs just to start anew.  At least, you'd hope he wouldn't.

Could the delay in getting this music out be the reason we have yet to hear news of the current lineup in the studio?  If so, I honestly wouldn't mind, as we've heard that there's some really great stuff in the can the we have yet to hear, like The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster etc.

Thoughts?

I don't think he was necessarily being serious with that "same bat time, same bat channel" comment, but, sure, a lot of time and effort was invested into the writing and recording of all the songs from the Chinese Democracy era.  It's perfectly reasonable to think it may be undesirable just to scrap those songs and not close the CD era fully.

I'd love to hear those songs come out, and hear those songs played live in another cycle of touring, and then some songs with the current lineup recorded.

Ali
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1702 on: July 29, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »

Thoughts?

I don't think he was necessarily being serious with that "same bat time, same bat channel" comment, but, sure, a lot of time and effort was invested into the writing and recording of all the songs from the Chinese Democracy era.  It's perfectly reasonable to think it may be undesirable just to scrap those songs and not close the CD era fully.

I'd love to hear those songs come out, and hear those songs played live in another cycle of touring, and then some songs with the current lineup recorded.

Ali

You're right.  And yes, I don't think that comment was meant to be taken as seriously as some took it, but it does show that it was in the realm of possibilities, which would mean the songs were and are pretty far along.  I just have always felt that DJ's touting of his 12 demos was always a bit premature, as we never got the we never got the rest of the Chinese D era music.

Axl himself initially said it'd be a "trilogy" of albums, later saying in late 2008 that he's always thought of it as a double.  This would naturally lead one to believe that there's still a lot of really great music that has yet to be release from those recording sessions.  And there's no way that Axl, knowing this, would put all the best tracks on the first album.  There's just no way.
old_at_heart
Opening Act

« Reply #1703 on: July 29, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »

So is this coming out or what? It's been a while...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1704 on: July 30, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »

So is this coming out or what? It's been a while...

In short, there's only one man who can answer that question honestly, and he ain't talkin.
Silex
Headliner

« Reply #1705 on: July 30, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »

This is the final season of Dexter, so maybe after it ends? Final episode airs September 22.

Roll Eyes
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #1706 on: July 30, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »

Thoughts?
I have been saying this for months now, this is exactly why Axl is in no hurry to get the current band writing new material... He has loads of amazing songs left from the 1999-2005 sessions.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:48:04 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1707 on: July 30, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »

Thoughts?
I have been saying this for months now, this is exactly why Axl is in no hurry to get the current band writing new material... He has loads of amazing songs left from the 1999-2005 sessions.

Exactly.  Also, don't forget Ron stated that he recorded on "a good handful" of tracks that did not appear on Chinese when he did his recording with the band in early 2007, most notably, Atlas Shrugged.

Again, there's just no way that Axl, knowing that it would end up a "double album" would blow his wad and put all of the best tracks on the first album.  I love Chinese and the prospect of another album that's on par with that is simply mindblowing to me.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1708 on: July 31, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »

As someone who is currently in a band I don't think i'd like to be in a situation like the current Band members are in. I hear all this talk about releasing old material. Why? Axl raves about how great this lineup is and the chemistry they have on stage ( which by the way does not necesarily mean that it will carry over to the studio). Why not see what they can come up with? You have talented song writers who are capable of coming up with interesting ideas. Lets see what the sessions can produce. Axl indicated recently in an interview that one of the things that he misses most about the old band was the feeling that they were all on the same page. He had 2 other people he could rely on. He doesnt have that anymore because it is more his thing as he said. To me this statement pretty much tells me that Axl doesnt see this as a band. He sees this as more his project. He can do whatever he wants whenever he wants.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1709 on: July 31, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »

I hear all this talk about releasing old material. Why?

Because a great song is a great song? No matter when it was written/recorded....

Axl raves about how great this lineup is and the chemistry they have on stage ( which by the way does not necesarily mean that it will carry over to the studio). Why not see what they can come up with? You have talented song writers who are capable of coming up with interesting ideas. Lets see what the sessions can produce.

And where did anybody said they wouldn't?

Axl indicated recently in an interview that one of the things that he misses most about the old band was the feeling that they were all on the same page. He had 2 other people he could rely on. He doesnt have that anymore because it is more his thing as he said. To me this statement pretty much tells me that Axl doesnt see this as a band. He sees this as more his project. He can do whatever he wants whenever he wants.

Man, talk about taking a quote out of context! He didn't even say it was about the old band, he said it was BEFORE Appetite For Destruction came out. It was a specific period in time when the old band existed, not the whole time. You make it sound like it's an issue with the band. The issue existed with the old band as well.

In addition, he doesn't even mention song writing, recording or anything like that. He's talking about the business side of things.

Regarding the last part of your post, if you apply that to the current situation, it's also true for the old band. Excluding the moment in time mentioned below by Axl.
If you're saying this band isn't working together as a band because you're taking Axl's quote out of context, then you're saying the same thing about the old band...

The quote: "Here's what I miss about old Guns the most. And this is really before we got Appetite out. In the very beginning, you had three people (Rose, Slash and guitarist Izzy Stradlin) on the same page for a short period looking out for the best interest of that band and its goals. We were trying to get signed from the beginning. We were figuring out the right attorney, the right label. I had two other guys I could rely on. I don't necessarily have that now because it is more my thing, but I do ask everyone's opinion about everything."

You say you're in a band, so surely you know what happened with GN'R once they made it. They didn't live together anymore. They got houses! They started writing material on their own. Are you saying they weren't a band anymore? It's just funny how people use that old excuse about GN'R all the time. "It's not a real band". Why? Because they don't live together? Because they have a leader who's been in the band since day one?

It's like when you read the same bullshit about it not being a band and then somebody makes a comment about the band changing members all the time. The current band has played more shows together than the band did with the Izzy/Matt and Gilby/Matt line-ups combined!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1710 on: July 31, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »

I hear all this talk about releasing old material. Why?

Because a great song is a great song? No matter when it was written/recorded....

/jarmo

Exactly.  Nothing against the current lineup, but if you were to ask fans of really any band whether they'd want an entirely new recording featuring the current incarnation, or a famously unreleased album from when the band was in their prime during a really creative time, I would wager that most fans would want to hear the latter.

That's how I feel about hearing the rest of the Chinese Democracy era tracks.
Dok
Headliner

« Reply #1711 on: July 31, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »

Exactly.  Nothing against the current lineup, but if you were to ask fans of really any band whether they'd want an entirely new recording featuring the current incarnation, or a famously unreleased album from when the band was in their prime during a really creative time, I would wager that most fans would want to hear the latter.

I guess most people would disagree, and rightfully so, when being asked if the time GNR recorded Chinese Democracy could be considered their "prime".  Roll Eyes
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1712 on: July 31, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »

I guess most people would disagree, and rightfully so, when being asked if the time GNR recorded Chinese Democracy could be considered their "prime".  Roll Eyes

I see what you're saying, but you have to understand that I'm basing my opinion on reality, and not on wrong-headed reunionist beliefs. Guns post-97 is obviously a different band, and yes, the "Chinese Democracy" sessions were absolutely when that band was in it's prime creatively.  Not sure how anyone can successfully argue against that.
Dok
Headliner

« Reply #1713 on: July 31, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »

I see what you're saying, but you have to understand that I'm basing my opinion on reality, and not on wrong-headed reunionist beliefs. Guns post-97 is obviously a different band, and yes, the "Chinese Democracy" sessions were absolutely when that band was in it's prime creatively.  Not sure how anyone can successfully argue against that.

How about (I'm talking 1996-2006 here):
-----------------------------------------------------
- songs written / rewritten by dozens of people in different places (Brain redoing Freeses takes note by note [that's creative I guess])
- only a few live shows between 1993 and 2006 inluding cancelled or aborted tours
- no new releases except for OMG in 1999 (supposedly even Duff & Matt had still been in GNR when that song came up)
- two full album releases of old material (Live Era & Greatest Hits)
- one video/DVD release of old material (Welcome To The Videos)
- ever-changing members/players of the band
- Axl not even visible in public from 2003-beginning of 2006
- non-existant new-/information policy from the band about status of members/release plans/tours

I really wonder how you twist the studio-effort of making the new songs into a time that supposedly was GNR's "prime"? Come on...you don't really believe that youself, do you?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:58:20 PM by Dok » Logged
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1714 on: July 31, 2013, 02:07:46 PM »

How about (I'm talking 1996-2006 here):
-----------------------------------------------------
- songs written / rewritten by dozens of people in different places (Brain redoing Freeses takes note by note [that's creative I guess])
- only a few live shows between 1993 and 2006 inluding cancelled or aborted tours
- no new releases except for OMG in 1999 (supposedly even Duff & Matt had still been in GNR when that song came up)
- two full album releases of old material (Live Era & Greatest Hits)
- one video/DVD release of old material (Welcome To The Videos)
- ever-changing members/players of the band
- Axl not even visible in public from 2003-beginning of 2006
- non-existant new-/information policy from the band about status of members/release plans/tours

I really wonder how you twist the studio-effort of making the new songs into a time that supposedly was GNR's "prime"? Come on...you don't really believe that youself, do you?

You seem to be missing the point of what I'm saying here.  I'm not talking about touring and being visible.  Sure, the current lineup wins hands down in that arena with all the endless touring as of lately.  I'm talking about the fact that the Chinese Democracy sessions, when the band was in the studio creating what some say is three, at least two albums worth of material, is the only time GNR has been in the studio recording post-Slash.  As Ron has said countless times, the current lineup has yet to sit in a room and write together, let alone record.

So yes, I stand by my statement that the Chinese Democracy sessions were when GNR post-97 was at their prime creatively.  And if you heard and like Chinese Democracy, why wouldn't you want to hear the next album from those sessions?  Especially when the current lineup has no plans (that we know of) to record together any time soon.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:13:04 PM by sofine11 » Logged
Dok
Headliner

« Reply #1715 on: July 31, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »

You seem to be missing the point of what I'm saying here.  I'm not talking about touring and being visible.  Sure, the current lineup wins hands down in that arena with all the endless touring as of lately.  I'm talking about the fact that the Chinese Democracy sessions, when the band was in the studio creating what some saying is three, at least two albums worth of material, is the only time GNR has been in the studio recording post-Slash.  As Ron has said countless times, the current lineup has yet to sit in a room and write together, let alone record.

So yes, I stand by my statement that the Chinese Democracy sessions were when GNR post-97 was at their prime creatively.  And if you heard and like Chinese Democracy, why wouldn't you want to hear the next album from those sessions?  Especially when the current lineup has no plans (that we know of) to record together any time soon.

So you stand by your statement that the CD sessions have been GNR's prime creatively when all they can show up for it as of now is one album? Because that's basically what has come out of it all by now. If all that material that's supposedly recorded does not come out, does not get played live, does not leak - how can you claim, based on hearsay that it rests in 'Axl's vault', that the band's been at a creative prime or even really completed other songs beside the ones which ended up on CD? If all, or the majority, of the stuff had come out by now or will come out at some point you might say that. But even then only if it's really talking to the audience which is another thing.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1716 on: July 31, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »

Agreed.  But, I'd preface that with saying I'm not sure what the current lineup could do, but would love to hear it.  There's certainly plenty of talent.

Ali
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1717 on: July 31, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »

Agreed.  But, I'd preface that with saying I'm not sure what the current lineup could do, but would love to hear it.  There's certainly plenty of talent.

Ali

Agreed, and my intent was not to belittle the current lineup.  In fact, I've said numerous times that I think it'd be cool if DJ put his mark on several of the unreleased tracks, since he's the only one who has not recorded on at least a handful of them. Or maybe he has already and we just don't know.  Either way, I'm happy with Axl having these guys do whatever they need to do have these songs see a release soon.  yes
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1718 on: July 31, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »

I didn't mean that as some kind of negative remark on the current band.

If you have a bunch of older finished tracks that are great, and you have a bunch of new finished tracks that are great. Releasing one of them doesn't make the other one bad!
So if the current band writes 15 great songs, it doesn't make the older songs bad all of a sudden.

The question was, why would GN'R release the old songs. Because they're probably great and should be heard?

I've said it in the past, there's reasons for doing both scenarios. Plenty of reasons why GN'R could release the Chinese Democracy era tracks and also plenty of reasons why they should record with the current band. Doesn't make one right and the other wrong.

At the end of the day, you can't please everybody. There's no "wrong" or "right" way of doing it as far as I can tell. No universal answer that pleases everybody.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #1719 on: August 01, 2013, 02:59:48 AM »

The question was, why would GN'R release the old songs. Because they're probably great and should be heard?

By now the question is when. If they actually have a bunch of 'older finished tracks' why not just release them? It's been almost 5 years. I actually don't believe there are 'older finished tracks'. Maybe there are 'older unfinished tracks': instrumental tracks waiting for melodies and lyrics.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: