Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:23:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1680350 times)
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #1540 on: June 24, 2013, 03:32:54 AM »

I'm not saying GN'R won't release anything. Just saying the old way of doing things isn't necessarily how the game is played today.

I think there's good in this too. When you think about it. When sales are a less bigger deal in motivating what is put out, maybe the art itself can be more important and less focus is placed on sales figures as a measurement of quality....

Artists will put out music because it's their outlet. They write a song, record it and then let the public hear it.

/jarmo

Nowhere in your analysis do you mention recording and production costs.  Some bands, indeed most bands will work to schedule  and pick the best of a session. Axl is a perfectionist, and like other artist, such as Floyd, Bowie and Elton to name a few, who know what exactly what they want will continue to record until they get what they want to hear. Most bands don't have the budget to entertain such behaviour, nor do I believe that Guns n' Roses have the backing to endure such a prospect from the label either, my opinion I know, but there you go, no evidence to say I'm wrong about this.

In my view, its exactly why Prostitute isn't played live.  The track has so many nuances (that people take from CD) that I believe that Axl doesn't think it can be played live with any reliability.  Don't get me wrong, I think its great that having create his art, that he'd want to protect it in its pure form. That said, is it just me but during the live version of PC, is he blowing the whistle in wrong place these days  Huh
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #1541 on: June 24, 2013, 05:17:14 AM »

The idea of releasing albums and tour to sell those albums is old.

True, most bands still follow the old cycle of album, tour, album, tour....

But then certain bands don't need to put out albums to go on tour. Metallica has been "escaping the studio" to go on tour for years now. While other bands go on tour based on something they did in the past (playing a full classic album, recreating an old tour etc.).

A huge tour doesn't equal lots of record sales any more. For example, U2's 360 tour didn't make their latest album their biggest one.

In reality, it seems like most bands put out albums as an excuse to go on tour. So they can add a few new tracks to the setlist and have some kind of new stage show. But most of us know they don't need to add those new songs, people will still go see them. I'm talking about big name bands. Hardcore fans obviously love to hear the new songs and the more obscure tracks, but the majority want to hear the hits.

/jarmo

This is true, but what is your point?? Not to bother putting out an album?

Rock fans still buy albums. Fact! Last week in the UK you had Black Sabbath at number 1 in the charts, Beady Eye at number 2 and Rod Stewart at number 3. The last 3 number one albums in America have been hard rock: Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, and now QOTSA.

To me it sounds like your saying you want the band to release stuff as quietly as possible in order for it not to get judged???

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #1542 on: June 24, 2013, 05:57:17 AM »

1) It's useless to talk about the eventuality of a reunion, will never happen.
2) why do you think they tour? only for pleased angry fans? personal pleasure?

no, that's their job, and that's their way to make money. Axl is 51, meaning he'll
not be touring for another 20 years, and there's no shame to do the job you like
to do money for a living, so no, that's not ridiculous at all.

1) are you Axl?  its funny how you say "it will never happen".  unless you are him, you are just giving an opinion. 
2) most bands tour to support the newest work.  Sure, big bands like gnr play alot of the older hits to please the fans, but tours usually come to an end. Then start again after something new happens.

1) I could say yes cause that's my name, but not the one you refer to.  hihi
I gave *his* opinion, since he talked about it sometimes. try google.

2) depends of the bands. you can play the nostalgia act, or you can choose to be still relevant in 2013, musically speaking.
at the end, in both cases, you make money to live of your art, and you can't please everyone, but who cares.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1543 on: June 24, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »

Nowhere in your analysis do you mention recording and production costs. 

I didn't mention it because I was only pointing out the change in attitudes about releasing music these days.

This is true, but what is your point?? Not to bother putting out an album?

No, the point is, you need to look for new ways to see things. Maybe selling a million copies isn't the only way to have success anymore? Maybe you can make an album successful in some other way?

Rock fans still buy albums. Fact! Last week in the UK you had Black Sabbath at number 1 in the charts, Beady Eye at number 2 and Rod Stewart at number 3. The last 3 number one albums in America have been hard rock: Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, and now QOTSA.

Of course people still buy albums, but numbers are down.

To me it sounds like your saying you want the band to release stuff as quietly as possible in order for it not to get judged???

That would be naive since it'll always be judged no matter what.

But I do think the pressure of selling millions of copies must have lessened these days. Hopefully the record companies are aware and lets the artists focus on the art instead of trying to make million sellers. Unfortunately I don't think this is the case yet...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sandman
Legend

« Reply #1544 on: June 24, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »

what is GnR's current contract status with the label? How many more albums do they owe them?

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #1545 on: June 24, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »

Ok, hi everyone wave joining in on this side-topic discussion bow

Maybe the key is to not try to sell to the masses but be more modest and aim at the ones who are prepared to pay for the art and don't mind doing so.

Yeah, that. Big-selling artists like Bob Dylan, Motley Crue etc were not as accepted or 'suitable' fopr the general public as they are today. Lots of hategroups (like the tipper gore-clan) tried to stop the rockbands and accomplished censoring coverart (afd to mention one) and stuff.

This drama actually helped promote the bands, but it also made openly supporting the bands and owning the band-regalia (cd's, clothing-accesories, posters etc) more than just regular music-consumption...which you could get for free anyway.

Secondly, back in the day when doing videos, editing etc was big company/rich folk-stuff we had bands like Pink Floyd being VERY creative AND productive with their releases and their music. They made double-albums, videos with animation and acting etc...today, the new rockbands seem to just do what people before they have done...which is really silly due to the fact that fairly good computers and audio/photo/video-editing software (Say hi to the pirate pay Grin) have become so accessible.

Of course people will not support stuff when all the rockbands are just 'hi, I got tattoos and distorted guitars, I like to party, plz make me rich and famous k'. Sad to see big companies support mediocre artists while fan-succsesses (and great, productive and creative artists!) like Buckethead or norwegian satanrockers don't get that support.

... Roll Eyes

In short, GNR have made their claims and succeded. I think representation-value means much for fans and profit, and that new rockbands needs to deliver more than just copy-cat stuff. Economicly I would assume more artistic focus on posters, clothers etc would help.

On topic:

plz bring out a new album. I also hope new releases will have more 'voice-acrobatics' than CD. thx peace

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1546 on: June 24, 2013, 03:19:13 PM »

what is GnR's current contract status with the label? How many more albums do they owe them?

I don't know how many they are owed, but I believe there's a contract.

So going indie and releasing albums on their web site probably isn't likely yet....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #1547 on: June 24, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »

With Chinese being out of print in the states, I still wonder if a reissue is possible.

Or maybe Chinese will be released as Axl himself envisioned it: as "a double", with disc one being the tracks already released, and disc 2 being as yet unreleased Chidem era tracks.

Holy shit now that would make my decade!!

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1548 on: June 26, 2013, 03:34:26 PM »

I think more and more artists/record companies realize that they have a hardcore fanbase and then there's the rest.

The hardcore fanbase are the ones who spent the extra cash on getting those deluxe limited super editions with cool bonuses like bonus tracks, artwork, a book, a postcard, DVD/Blu-ray etc. The rest might buy the release if they happen to see it at Walmart or iTunes. Or just get it for free illegally. Or just won't bother whatsoever.

Now when you go to a concert, let's say the venue has a capacity of 15000. Only a few of those would be the hardcore fans. Many of them will be in the front row and/or have spent all day waiting at the gates to be let in.

The hardcore fans would love the band to play their latest release in full and throw in some obscure tracks into the set. The majority of the crowd wants to sing along to the hits while drinking another beer and recording their favorite song on their mobile phone (or calling somebody when the band plays it so they can hear).

So yeah, bands have all kinds of options on putting out music these days. Maybe the key is to not try to sell to the masses but be more modest and aim at the ones who are prepared to pay for the art and don't mind doing so.

/jarmo

pleasing the "hardcore fans" is always a good, if not the best, thing. they are basically the ones spending their lifetime(!!) and money for the artists!

Re-Union time, baby!!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1549 on: June 26, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »

I think more and more artists/record companies realize that they have a hardcore fanbase and then there's the rest.

The hardcore fanbase are the ones who spent the extra cash on getting those deluxe limited super editions with cool bonuses like bonus tracks, artwork, a book, a postcard, DVD/Blu-ray etc. The rest might buy the release if they happen to see it at Walmart or iTunes. Or just get it for free illegally. Or just won't bother whatsoever.

Now when you go to a concert, let's say the venue has a capacity of 15000. Only a few of those would be the hardcore fans. Many of them will be in the front row and/or have spent all day waiting at the gates to be let in.

The hardcore fans would love the band to play their latest release in full and throw in some obscure tracks into the set. The majority of the crowd wants to sing along to the hits while drinking another beer and recording their favorite song on their mobile phone (or calling somebody when the band plays it so they can hear).

So yeah, bands have all kinds of options on putting out music these days. Maybe the key is to not try to sell to the masses but be more modest and aim at the ones who are prepared to pay for the art and don't mind doing so.

/jarmo

pleasing the "hardcore fans" is always a good, if not the best, thing. they are basically the ones spending their lifetime(!!) and money for the artists!
How is it the best thing if those hardcore fans make up a small fraction of the average crowd at a show?

Ali
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #1550 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:49 PM »

Question:   Does Axl have to do anymore releases?   Is he under contract to release anymore or is it at his discretion?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #1551 on: June 26, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »

I always thought Axl was a very prolific songwriter. Now, I'm not so sure. Another "perfectionist" is Reznor. But, that dude went away scored some movies (won an oscar) and now has a new song out and an album coming soon. Not Axl's version of what soon means but, in actual reality soon. That was my middle school music of choice. GNR/NIN/Metallica. Regardless something else is going on. Either the material just isn't there. Axl has no faith in the music. He seems to shoot himself in the foot. I always thought there was a friendly rivalry between Axl and Trent. Like they could fuck with each other but their was mutual respect? I do like as a fan that Trent looks healthy and keeps on keeping on. Still trying new things and producing new art. Still driven. I know Axl is a fan of his. I wonder why exactly Axl lost his drive.

Also

Did GNR burn some bridges with VH1? I was thinking about how cool it would be if GNR did VH1 Storytellers. That VH1 concert during primetime was so fucking awesome then GNR did it again. Complain that it didn't go right and VH1 or GNR had future shows (extended versions pulled). Seems they could have done Storytellers which would be amazing and like the other artists who do that release that as this year's album release. Probably no longer possible. Live shows/3D shows that were suppose to come "soon" aren't. I just don't get it. I just miss new music from Axl. Bums me out thinking what could be. They are just a live band. Ok, cool.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1552 on: June 26, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »

I always thought Axl was a very prolific songwriter. Now, I'm not so sure. Another "perfectionist" is Reznor. But, that dude went away scored some movies (won an oscar) and now has a new song out and an album coming soon. Not Axl's version of what soon means but, in actual reality soon. That was my middle school music of choice. GNR/NIN/Metallica. Regardless something else is going on. Either the material just isn't there. Axl has no faith in the music. He seems to shoot himself in the foot. I always thought there was a friendly rivalry between Axl and Trent. Like they could fuck with each other but their was mutual respect? I do like as a fan that Trent looks healthy and keeps on keeping on. Still trying new things and producing new art. Still driven. I know Axl is a fan of his. I wonder why exactly Axl lost his drive.

Also

Did GNR burn some bridges with VH1? I was thinking about how cool it would be if GNR did VH1 Storytellers. That VH1 concert during primetime was so fucking awesome then GNR did it again. Complain that it didn't go right and VH1 or GNR had future shows (extended versions pulled). Seems they could have done Storytellers which would be amazing and like the other artists who do that release that as this year's album release. Probably no longer possible. Live shows/3D shows that were suppose to come "soon" aren't. I just don't get it. I just miss new music from Axl. Bums me out thinking what could be. They are just a live band. Ok, cool.

I don't think you're looking at the whole spectrum of possibilities.  Given that Axl has openly expressed disdain towards the label for their support, or lack thereof, during the release of Chinese Democracy, the reluctance to release new music may have nothing to do with the material itself so much as it has to do with the circumstances that have to be addressed and dealt with when releasing a new album with an entity and people you have a tense or acrimonious business relationship with.

Ali
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #1553 on: June 26, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »

Ali, then there needs to be steps taken to negotiate an end to the relationship....broker a deal that works best for both parties. If neither party is happy with the other, then why carry on the relationship?  Undecided  As they say, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:07:01 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1554 on: June 27, 2013, 01:37:09 AM »

Ali, then there needs to be steps taken to negotiate an end to the relationship....broker a deal that works best for both parties. If neither party is happy with the other, then why carry on the relationship?  Undecided  As they say, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.
I don't disagree at all.  I think it would be great if somehow GN'R can either buyout or somehow negotiate an end to the record deal and in the process acquire the rights to the all the master recordings from the Chinese Democracy sessions.  Then, they could put out the remaining material from those sessions and wipe the slate clean and start making music with the current lineup.

Ali
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #1555 on: June 27, 2013, 02:03:31 AM »

I always thought Axl was a very prolific songwriter.

I gotta ask: based on what?
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #1556 on: June 27, 2013, 03:07:06 AM »

Also

I gotta give Buddha his due, there's not a whole lot I can disagree with here. NIN and Trent have found ways to re-invent the music and continue to grow and release music for the fans... He seems to be constantly looking for ways to go beyond the norm and to surprise. Axl is a genius and I do actually believe that his own self doubt sometimes works against him a lot. GN'R at the moment are a great live act putting on amazing shows showcasing a vast amount of the bands catalogue, I wouldn't say the shows are heavily promoting CD anymore. I guess I miss the Axl of 2002-2006 who had fire in his belly, and was on a mission to re-invent and make GN'R grow.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:11:27 AM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1557 on: June 27, 2013, 04:39:27 AM »

How is it the best thing if those hardcore fans make up a small fraction of the average crowd at a show?

Ali

because those are the fans following you through most aspects of your musician (and to an extend even personal) life. those fans do not only buy everything you release, they follow you through countries to multiple shows a tour and give you one of the greatest gifts they have on earth: their lifetime!! there shoundt be a doubt that this is something very special and in a way should be honored or can only do good to be honored. from what i see Axl camp has done only a few things in this, unfortunately other bands do that far better in many aspects.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1558 on: June 27, 2013, 02:49:41 PM »

Ali

because those are the fans following you through most aspects of your musician (and to an extend even personal) life. those fans do not only buy everything you release, they follow you through countries to multiple shows a tour and give you one of the greatest gifts they have on earth: their lifetime!! there shoundt be a doubt that this is something very special and in a way should be honored or can only do good to be honored. from what i see Axl camp has done only a few things in this, unfortunately other bands do that far better in many aspects.

That's all fine and well, but at the end of the day, the hardcore fans (e.g. the ones the post on message boards like these), make up a small fraction of the overall audience.  Catering to the minority of the concert crowd isn't fair to the majority, either, as disappointing as it may be to not hear deep cuts from the albums for those of us who are more devoted fans.

Ali
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1559 on: June 27, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »

still they do give much more than the "overall audience". throwing them some bones here and there is a nice thing and easy to do!
f.e. i bet the moderator of this forum liked that, too, back in 2005/2006, and still does.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: