Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:45:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1679678 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1420 on: May 06, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »

Great news and it's further confirmation really that the new album will be Finck/Bucket/Brain era tracks, after Ron's recent interview regarding the current band not creating music together.  peace

Ugh, more music from guys who have been OUT almost longer then they were IN.

i find this to be extremely frustrating as well... but who am i to question it right ?

ill enjoy the songs im sure... i love Axl Rose as a singer... but that's all it is anymore

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #1421 on: May 06, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »

lets just give their time and it will work out fine, the end result has never disappointed me and thats what counts in the end. beer

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1422 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »

lets just give their time and it will work out fine, the end result has never disappointed me and thats what counts in the end. beer

this is true... and a positive spin on things...

at the end of the day... we all will like whatever songs that get released

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #1423 on: May 06, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »

Imagine if he acted this free and easy with time before they were signed?? Obviously I don't know the inside story but Axl's lack of urgency has been an ongoing personality trait for many years now. I guess 'finishing touches' still take years Sad I just wish the songs were a little more stripped back than they were on CD, it would make the music much more cohesive and pleasurable to listen to.

Last sentence first, you, or I have jack shit knowledge about the content of those tracks so I don't see how you know that they need striping back.  Roll Eyes

And your first point, having read Duff's, Slash and Popcorn's books they all mention that getting signed wasn't that straight forward. Of course we only have their word for that, but had Axl caved in when the money was being shown early doors, I'd suggest that GnR perhaps never would have been what it was then or now.  Everybody knows Axl is a stickler for detail, and in my book sometime being "good enough" is not enough in some peoples world, being the best you can be matters more....
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1424 on: May 06, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »

This may be speculation but........I have a feeling there is a current or impending pissing contest with the record label that will delay this whole thing. Axl wants more money to tinker with the songs on this album and the label won't give it since he didn't promote the last one. And Axl won't release anything until he gets more money. So everyone should just settle in for awhile I imagine.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1425 on: May 06, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »

Do we really know for sure that its all old stuff? Could be old stuff that new parts were recorded like CD was. Could be a new song or 2?

I just hope it doesn't sound like something that could have came out in 2001. ( drum loops, etc)

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1426 on: May 06, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »

This may be speculation but........I have a feeling there is a current or impending pissing contest with the record label that will delay this whole thing. Axl wants more money to tinker with the songs on this album and the label won't give it since he didn't promote the last one. And Axl won't release anything until he gets more money. So everyone should just settle in for awhile I imagine.

If that is true, the fact that a band as big as Guns N Roses is still dealing with crap from a major label blows my mind.  Its 2013, they should be distributing their music independently at this point. 
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1427 on: May 06, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »

If that is true, the fact that a band as big as Guns N Roses is still dealing with crap from a major label blows my mind.  Its 2013, they should be distributing their music independently at this point. 
It's unfortunate, if discussions with the label are a roadblock to releasing new music, but they have to deal with it somehow if they're still under contract. Once the contract is up, maybe they'll have the freedom that other bands, like NIN and Smashing Pumpkins have.

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1428 on: May 06, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »

It's unfortunate, if discussions with the label are a roadblock to releasing new music, but they have to deal with it somehow if they're still under contract. Once the contract is up, maybe they'll have the freedom that other bands, like NIN and Smashing Pumpkins have.

Ali

Yeah, but it's hard to get out of a contract without releasing more music. I kinda wish Universal would just cut the string and let Guns go. It's obvious that the relationship there is basically torched, even if that was mostly Axl's fault for the CD release boondoggle.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1429 on: May 07, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »

Isn't the label involved in the Vegas DVD release though? Wouldn't that point to the relationship being a little better than its been? Assuming that all goes off without a hitch of course. We're not there quite yet.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1430 on: May 07, 2013, 02:20:01 AM »

Imagine if he acted this free and easy with time before they were signed?? Obviously I don't know the inside story but Axl's lack of urgency has been an ongoing personality trait for many years now. I guess 'finishing touches' still take years Sad I just wish the songs were a little more stripped back than they were on CD, it would make the music much more cohesive and pleasurable to listen to.

Last sentence first, you, or I have jack shit knowledge about the content of those tracks so I don't see how you know that they need striping back.  Roll Eyes

And your first point, having read Duff's, Slash and Popcorn's books they all mention that getting signed wasn't that straight forward. Of course we only have their word for that, but had Axl caved in when the money was being shown early doors, I'd suggest that GnR perhaps never would have been what it was then or now.  Everybody knows Axl is a stickler for detail, and in my book sometime being "good enough" is not enough in some peoples world, being the best you can be matters more....

Yes, my wording was poorly phrased. I meant I hope the sound is stripped back I wasn't saying it WILL be overproduced. That said At what point in the last 20 years has Axl mentioned over working a song or adding too many layers?? He has always said songs were incomplete or he wanted to do more to songs that already had been made way too 'busy'.

I'm all for being the best you can be but it was 13 years ago that Axl talked about having 2 albums worth of material solidly recorded. It is just indefensible having the GNR name and this many great musicians surrounding him and not being creative. The whole thing was to take the GNR name forward with his vision and he has not done this. He lost the argument because he chose to do (virtually) nothing. One album does not create an ouvre or legacy. GNR lost it's creative urge years ago sadly. Yes I don't know all the background details but it stands to reason based on lack of material and even the band members expressed frustration.

You may disagree but I'd say you are in denial. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it probably is a duck Smiley
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1431 on: May 08, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »

One album does not create an ouvre or legacy.

Really?

So why do people still listen to the Sex Pistols? For example. One fucking album.

You only state that because it suits your point of view, when in fact there's proof of the opposite being true as well.

This whole overproduced discussion. It's hilarious. People use it as an example of something bad. Chinese may have lots of layers, maybe too many for those who have short attention spans.  Wink

But to use the term overproduced is just nonsense. It's another easy way of attacking the music. You can take a garage recording and make it sound like shit. Or you can make a proper recording and then make it sound amazing, like Chinese. But nobody says the garage recording that's mastered too loud is "overproduced". Why not? 

On topic: Richard's comments about the album being worked on and songs being completed (Noise11: Guns ?N Roses Chinese Democracy Follow-Up Is Well Down The Track), has evolved into the album being almost done (The Guardian: Guns N' Roses guitarist says new album is nearly complete) into here in Sweden (GP: Guns N' Roses are done with new album)... Amazing how something simple can be twisted...  confused

/jarmo

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:44:56 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Silex
Headliner

« Reply #1432 on: May 08, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »

Bumblefoot Eager to Make New Guns N' Roses Music
'We have a great band that's ready to do it'
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bumblefoot-eager-to-make-new-guns-n-roses-music-20130508#ixzz2SilRkVL0
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1433 on: May 08, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »

One album does not create an ouvre or legacy.

Really?

So why do people still listen to the Sex Pistols? For example. One fucking album.

You only state that because it suits your pint of view, when in fact there's proof of the opposite being true as well.

This whole overproduced discussion. It's hilarious. People use it as an example of something bad. Chinese may have lots of layers, maybe too many for those who have short attention spans.  Wink

But to use the term overproduced is just nonsense. It's another easy way of attacking the music. You can take a garage recording and make it sound like shit. Or you can make a proper recording and then make it sound amazing, like Chinese. But nobody says the garage recording that's mastered too loud is "overproduced". Why not? 

On topic: Richard's comments about the album being worked on and songs being completed (Noise11: Guns ?N Roses Chinese Democracy Follow-Up Is Well Down The Track), has evolved into the album being almost done (The Guardian: Guns N' Roses guitarist says new album is nearly complete) into here in Sweden (GP: Guns N' Roses are done with new album)... Amazing how something simple can be twisted...  confused

/jarmo

It has nothing to do with one's attention span. It has to do with what an individuals ears tell them, which isn't always going to jive with your personal opinion.
It's not an "attack" on the music. It's a widely shared opinion of the music, and how it sounds to the individual. 

I thought Bob Ezrin stated it pretty well, and I agree?

"what I heard was something that he had painted over too many times. So, by the time I heard it, the original content was lost and it was just a highly produced piece of something?"

http://www.hit-channel.com/bob-ezrin-pink-floydalice-cooperkisspeter-gabriel-producer/2508#.UYqU7L--CS0

It's not like it's an outlandish opinion either. In fact it's essentially been confirmed in many band members interviews, and the amount of time the album took to make.
The bones of the songs were written, and tinkered to death for years, and I can personally hear that in the music. Others refer to it as "layers" that they enjoy, and that's all well and good.
I, and many others hear something different. That's what's great about music.

There's a lot going on, which isn't the part that bothers me. It's the fact that it sounds like there were pieces added here, added there, and everywhere, by everyone over the course of a decade+ (which is basically what happened).
It doesn't sound like a band getting together in the same room, playing their songs and pressing the record button. I understand that's not how bands typically record, but usually it's not obvious to listen to.

This is not to say that it isn't any good, or that they did anything wrong. There are plenty of moments on the album I enjoy., but overall I've paid plenty of attention, and whole heartedly agree with the assessment that Chinese Democracy is over produced.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1434 on: May 08, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »

It has nothing to do with one's attention span.

Jeez. It was a joke.

It just seems like everything has to be tweet sized today. Too much of something and people move on.

It has to do with what an individuals ears tell them, which isn't always going to jive with your personal opinion.
It's not an "attack" on the music. It's a widely shared opinion of the music, and how it sounds to the individual.

It's an easy excuse to not like it. If you don't use the "it took too long" or "it's not the old band" lines, you can always use "it's overproduced".

Standard.

It doesn't sound like a band getting together in the same room, playing their songs and pressing the record button. I understand that's not how bands typically record, but usually it's not obvious to listen to.

So that's your issue with it?

That it doesn't sound like a one take record? Did you ever think that maybe it wasn't meant to sound like that?

If you listen to a Jimi Hendrix record, you'll realize that it's not possible Jimi played all that in one take.... Was it considered overproduced or is it considered that today?

This is not to say that it isn't any good, or that they did anything wrong. There are plenty of moments on the album I enjoy., but overall I've paid plenty of attention, and whole heartedly agree with the assessment that Chinese Democracy is over produced.

And I disagree. I think it's the album Axl wanted to make at the time.

Maybe it doesn't sound like a band in a room, but at the time there was no band to put in a room. You might think there were too many people involved, but that's the snapshot of the whole process and all the people who were involved at some point.

It's like a photo album of the last years of your life. Maybe in some photos you're with people who you don't have in your life anymore.

It's impossible to make an album that pleases everyone. Imagine if the band had re-recorded Chinese Democracy and released that. You'd have people complaining that the band is only recording other peoples' songs! Or that they want to hear Buckethead's guitar parts etc etc etc...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1435 on: May 08, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »

That's the thing, it's not an excuse. It's a reason.
It's not like (most people) sit around looking for ways to NOT like something.
I very much wanted to love Chinese Democracy, and was very surprised when I didn't.
I was long over the old band when it came out, with no real expectations about the overall new records potential sound, just knowing I'd loved 99.9% of the music Axl had released to date.

Didn't work out for me, but again, I didn't give excuses, I gave reasons.
You just happen to feel differently.

Again, I'm very well aware that bands don't typically record together in the same room on one take. I think the goal is for it to mesh and sound as though they did.
Chinese Democracy doesn't sound that way to me.

For me, not only does it not sound like a band playing in a room together, it doesn't sound like a band at all.
It sounds like Axl singing lyrics on top of music written 10 years prior, and then Bumblefoot coming in and adding little fills here and there at the 11th hour.
I don't know why Axl would want it to sound this way, but there is a lot about Axl I don't understand. If Axl is happy with the end result and the way the production was handled, great.
I'm more than okay with that. I don't expect him to write a certain way, and I'm not demanding it's produced a specific way. He knows what he's doing.
I'm simply not a big fan of the way Chinese Democracy sounds overall, and would be pleased to hear a different approach next time around.
Regardless if that happens, I will listen to the next album, if it ever materializes with an open mind.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1436 on: May 08, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »

That's the thing, it's not an excuse. It's a reason.
It's not like (most people) sit around looking for ways to NOT like something.

So you never heard of people who claim they hate the album and then you hear they didn't even listen to it?

I'm saying that there are people who say they don't like it because of said reasons/excuses when in reality they never gave the album a chance. That's all.

It sounds like Axl singing lyrics on top of music written 10 years prior, and then Bumblefoot coming in and adding little fills here and there at the 11th hour.
I don't know why Axl would want it to sound this way, but there is a lot about Axl I don't understand. If Axl is happy with the end result and the way the production was handled, great.
I'm more than okay with that. I don't expect him to write a certain way, and I'm not demanding it's produced a specific way. He knows what he's doing.

Did you read what I said? Because your whole point is actually pointing out what I said in different words.
But using it as something negative about the whole process.

/jarmo

reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #1437 on: May 08, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »

""Guitarist Richard Fortus has confirmed to Noise11.com news that the band was spent a lot of time in the studio working on the next album and that many of the songs have been completed.
Fortus, who is also the guitarist for Australia?s The Dead Daisies, told Noise11 that while the album has mostly been completed it won?t be released this year but maybe in 2014.""

This is so confusing Huh Huh Huh. Is Bumblefoot just not being told about this or something?

Jarmo can you help me comprehend what is going on?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1438 on: May 08, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »

""Guitarist Richard Fortus has confirmed to Noise11.com news that the band was spent a lot of time in the studio working on the next album and that many of the songs have been completed.
Fortus, who is also the guitarist for Australia?s The Dead Daisies, told Noise11 that while the album has mostly been completed it won?t be released this year but maybe in 2014.""

This is so confusing Huh Huh Huh. Is Bumblefoot just not being told about this or something?

Jarmo can you help me comprehend what is going on?

I think Fortus is probably referring to songs that were recorded during the CD sessions and still haven't been released. I think Bumble is pushing for all new music from the current lineup.

reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #1439 on: May 08, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »

You'd think if the plan is to release an album with stuff from Chinese era (which I think is a good thing) someone would have told Ron to perhaps change his tune. DJ always seems positive about new stuff and gives the impression he is involved. All very odd.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: