Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:23:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1678434 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1200 on: March 06, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »

I want new music too, and I agree with your opinion that unreleased music is still new to us. I would love to here potentially epic songs like The Genera and Soul Monster.  The second paragraph in your post is my ideal hope. We get a "Chinese Leftover" album, or box-set with all the finished material. Than, we can wait for the next album recorded and promoted by the current band. I think Bumblefoot is just frustrated because he wants to put out music that he wrote. And who wouldn't? He's covering songs now from other musicians, putting out music made by Buckethead would be the same. BUT, it'll be new to us, and that's all that should matter in the end of the day: the fans.

Of course it's all up to the band, but what if the band can't do anything? What if there is no drive to record or write new music because a certain frontman doesn't want to release new music? They can write all the music they want for Axl, if Axl doesn't care, than in the end they won't either.  

GN'R will always be my favorite band, no matter what the situation is. I understand Axl won't ever get swayed by negativity, I'm just hoping that one day I'll get new music by my favorite rock band and my favorite lead singer.  I just want new music, and as a fan I just don't see why this band doesn't seem to be a able to operate as normal functional rock band.  

Well it is clear that they never have functioned like "other bands". If it's a "normal band" you're interested in, again GNR may not be for you. Very little of their career has ever been what one might call "normal." The difference between what GNR releases and what "normal bands" release, is that GNR's is actually (for the most part) very, very good.

The situation now and the situation back in the day actually doesn't look too different to me.

It took nearly 4 years to release UYI 1/2 after Appetite was released and it has only been just over 4 years since ChiDem was. We haven't had a "GNR Lies" type experience to tie us over in that timeframe, which is the only real difference so far. The sense of waiting back then (I've no idea if you were old enough to experience it) wasn't so different than it is now.

There were tons of rumour, conjecture and gossip about the make-up of UYI 1/2, just as there is for any future album now and just as there was before ChiDem was released. Anxious now? Try waiting 17 years for a new original material GNR album!

What is normal for GNR is rumour, conjecture and gossip about future releases and then (almost overwhelmingly) amazing music when they do occur. 

That's something you have to learn to live with, being a GNR fan. If you can't deal with that, then give them away. There's just no need to keep harping on about how you want to hear new GNR music. We all do, but whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere. In GNR's mind or anyone elses.

They did at one point function like a "normal" band, and it was great!

There couldn't be a starker contrast between the productivity of GN'R then and GN'R now.
GN'R released AFD in '87, Lies in '88, UYI I & II in '91 and The Spaghetti Incident in '93.
That's 5 releases within 7 years, which is prolific in comparison to GN'R of today.

The majority of ex-members have continued to produce albums at an impressive clip since leaving.
The one constant member has not. This would have to lead one to believe that it is not a priority at this stage of his career to produce new music.

If Guns N' Roses wants to release an album of new, or old material, they can, like most every other active artist in the world does.

They, or he, chooses not to. That's his right. I myself have accepted it.
I used to think there was probably an interesting story behind it, but as time goes on, signs just seem to point towards a lack of desire.
You'd think if Axl values this lineup, he's going to have to feed the beast at some point.
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #1201 on: March 06, 2013, 04:56:40 PM »

I want new music too, and I agree with your opinion that unreleased music is still new to us. I would love to here potentially epic songs like The Genera and Soul Monster.  The second paragraph in your post is my ideal hope. We get a "Chinese Leftover" album, or box-set with all the finished material. Than, we can wait for the next album recorded and promoted by the current band. I think Bumblefoot is just frustrated because he wants to put out music that he wrote. And who wouldn't? He's covering songs now from other musicians, putting out music made by Buckethead would be the same. BUT, it'll be new to us, and that's all that should matter in the end of the day: the fans.

Of course it's all up to the band, but what if the band can't do anything? What if there is no drive to record or write new music because a certain frontman doesn't want to release new music? They can write all the music they want for Axl, if Axl doesn't care, than in the end they won't either.  

GN'R will always be my favorite band, no matter what the situation is. I understand Axl won't ever get swayed by negativity, I'm just hoping that one day I'll get new music by my favorite rock band and my favorite lead singer.  I just want new music, and as a fan I just don't see why this band doesn't seem to be a able to operate as normal functional rock band.  

Well it is clear that they never have functioned like "other bands". If it's a "normal band" you're interested in, again GNR may not be for you. Very little of their career has ever been what one might call "normal." The difference between what GNR releases and what "normal bands" release, is that GNR's is actually (for the most part) very, very good.

The situation now and the situation back in the day actually doesn't look too different to me.

It took nearly 4 years to release UYI 1/2 after Appetite was released and it has only been just over 4 years since ChiDem was. We haven't had a "GNR Lies" type experience to tie us over in that timeframe, which is the only real difference so far. The sense of waiting back then (I've no idea if you were old enough to experience it) wasn't so different than it is now.

There were tons of rumour, conjecture and gossip about the make-up of UYI 1/2, just as there is for any future album now and just as there was before ChiDem was released. Anxious now? Try waiting 17 years for a new original material GNR album!

What is normal for GNR is rumour, conjecture and gossip about future releases and then (almost overwhelmingly) amazing music when they do occur. 

That's something you have to learn to live with, being a GNR fan. If you can't deal with that, then give them away. There's just no need to keep harping on about how you want to hear new GNR music. We all do, but whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere. In GNR's mind or anyone elses.

There couldn't be a starker contrast between the productivity of GN'R then and GN'R now.
GN'R released AFD in '87, Lies in '88, UYI I & II in '91 and The Spaghetti Incident in '93.
That's 5 releases within 7 years, which is prolific in comparison to GN'R of today.

The majority of ex-members have continued to produce albums at an impressive clip since leaving.
The one constant member has not. This would have to lead one to believe that it is not a priority at this stage of his career to produce new music.

If Guns N' Roses wants to release an album of new, or old material, they can, like most every other active artist in the world does.

I used to think there was probably an interesting story behind it, but as time goes on, signs just seem to point towards a lack of desire.
You'd think if Axl values this lineup, he's going to have to feed the beast at some point.

Completely agree with you on this.
AXLGNR123
Opening Act

« Reply #1202 on: March 06, 2013, 05:27:43 PM »

Exactly!

They used to be a normal rock band, putting out music on a timely basis. One album in 20 years isn't timely basis, or normal. It's ridiculous. And to think that Axl supposedly has 30 or more songs, why aren't we hearing them? Or at least what's going on with new music?

It took 14 years for Chinese Democracy to come out, and it's been over 4 years since it's been out. That doesn't sound like a functional band to me. And Conan, you used "GN'R Lies" as a example of them using a album to hold over fans for the Illusions. So, why can't they do that now? Why can't they release a 8 songs EP of the Chinese Democracy leftovers, the best tracks that they feel could make a record. Than start from scratch.

And Slash has released 6 albums since leaving GN'R. 2 with Snakepit, 2 with Velvet Relvolver, and 2 solo. That's 5 move than Axl released since Spaghetti Incident. Than, there's Duff who's released 6 albums, and even Izzy has released more work than Axl over the last decade. So, it's not "GN'R" that are not functioning as a normal rock band, it's one man. And that's Axl. Bumblefoot has released multiple singles while being with GN'R. DJ has wrote a soundtrack for a movie that was released last year, and has worked on Sixx AM material while in GN'R. Tommy released his own solo album in 2011.

And there is a difference from now and the Illusion's. With the Illusions, we got a double album of great material. We had a band who was a unit, who wrote and recorded as one. Now, we have 7 men working under one, with one of the seven basically telling us to not be optimistic about new music. Ax's 50 and doesn't seem to have the same drive anymore he had in 1990, or even 2001. He's basically playing nostalgia shows now and seems contempt on doing that for the future.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:35:33 PM by AXLGNR123 » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1203 on: March 06, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »

And there is a difference from now and the Illusion's. With the Illusions, we got a double album of great material. We had a band who was a unit, who wrote and recorded as one. Now, we have 7 men working under one, with one of the seven basically telling us to not be optimistic about new music. Ax's 50 and doesn't seem to have the same drive anymore he had in 1990, or even 2001. He's basically playing nostalgia shows now and seems contempt on doing that for the future.

Don't try to rewrite history because it suits your agenda.

Use Your Illusion wasn't a case of an unit "who wrote and recorded as one".

Remember how the original drummer was fired? Remember how his playing is featured on one of the tracks? Remember how several of the songs existed before the band even existed? Remember how the band members at the time would say in interviews how they had written songs for the next album, either on their own or with somebody?

Don't try to make it seem like they wrote those songs in the studio together.

As far as we know, they weren't even in the studio together all that much. Did you forget how everybody did their parts?

I'd take quality over quantity ay day of the week.

Some of you make it sound like it's your right to have new music from GN'R on a schedule that suits your "normal rock band" idea. Whine, whine, whine. So many brilliant artists' lives ended too early because of the pressures of being a "normal rock band". We're talking about people here, not machines or robots.

If somebody doesn't wanna release a new album every three-four years because it doesn't seem like a good idea, it's up to them. Maybe the record company or somebody with financial investment would disagree but that's between them. Fans demanding music is ridiculous.

Especially people who post unbelievable things like "I don't know if it's a good idea that he's happy because anger makes great music".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #1204 on: March 06, 2013, 06:39:08 PM »

Wow. Ouch.  I love BBF...and he has been a great addition, totally accessable, open communicator, and a true soldier through his injury/pain.  I have to hope that perhaps he had a combination of some bad sushi and his pain meds before he went on...because it certainly appears to me that he was lashing out at the rest of the band and the lack of productivity - expressing frustration perhaps.  All the positive indicators from other band members just got torpedoed.  I hope he was drunk, and talking out his ass.  We've all done that once or thirty times.  Undecided

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #1205 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:31 PM »

Wow. Ouch.  I love BBF...and he has been a great addition, totally accessable, open communicator, and a true soldier through his injury/pain.  I have to hope that perhaps he had a combination of some bad sushi and his pain meds before he went on...because it certainly appears to me that he was lashing out at the rest of the band and the lack of productivity - expressing frustration perhaps.  All the positive indicators from other band members just got torpedoed.  I hope he was drunk, and talking out his ass.  We've all done that once or thirty times.  Undecided

Dude looked and sounded completely sober and genuine to me.
Honestly, how could he not feel frustrated? 
Do I hope we get new music sooner than later?  Hell yeah.
Will I demand new music and threaten to pout and leave if I don't get it?  Hell no.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1206 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »

Will I demand new music and threaten to pout and leave if I don't get it?  Hell no.

Exactly!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #1207 on: March 06, 2013, 07:49:20 PM »

Exactly, nobody can really judge Ron for feeling like he does. We don't know the inner workings of the band, but Ron does, and he must know that it should be easier than it has been to get all the guys together to sort out what's happening with the next record. It must frustrate him knowing he has so much to give, but not being able to creatively expose that in Guns.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1208 on: March 06, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »

Exactly, nobody can really judge Ron for feeling like he does. We don't know the inner workings of the band, but Ron does, and he must know that it should be easier than it has been to get all the guys together to sort out what's happening with the next record. It must frustrate him knowing he has so much to give, but not being able to creatively expose that in Guns.

I, for one, don't have a problem with how he "feels".  I think making comments about how he's the only one who isn't bullshitting are completely unnecessary and IMO, unprofessional.  He's taking a public shot at his bandmates through an interview.  It won't change the situation at all.  It's just like his venting before that private gig in July through Twitter.  Yeah, he has every right to feel how he feels.  That isn't the issue.  The issue is how he expresses those feelings.

I feel in those two instances, by taking his grievances public, he has done a disservice to himself and his bandmates and accomplished nothing that I can see other that relieving himself of the burden of these feelings.

Ali
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #1209 on: March 06, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »

I, for one, don't have a problem with how he "feels".  I think making comments about how he's the only one who isn't bullshitting are completely unnecessary and IMO, unprofessional.  He's taking a public shot at his bandmates through an interview.  It won't change the situation at all.  It's just like his venting before that private gig in July through Twitter.  Yeah, he has every right to feel how he feels.  That isn't the issue.  The issue is how he expresses those feelings.

I feel in those two instances, by taking his grievances public, he has done a disservice to himself and his bandmates and accomplished nothing that I can see other that relieving himself of the burden of these feelings.

Ali
I can't disagree with you more Ali, would you rather Ron paint on a smile and give the "pro GN'R" answer expected. This is what being in a band is all about, taking the good with the bad. Ron is being honest and is not leading anyone on in regards to the new album situation. I don't see how a GN'R fan can slam him for always being up front and true to the bone with us fans. Sure, saying the comment about "bullshitting us" may of been abit strong, but at the end of the day the guys frustrated up to his teeth, about the constant issue of new material being released. Ron has just as much of a right to say that the current band haven't recorded together, than DJ had to saying he's shown lots of ideas to Axl. As jarmo said, one doesn't contradict the other, Ron is just more honest about how far we are away from material from this current band.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1210 on: March 06, 2013, 10:28:17 PM »

Ali
I can't disagree with you more Ali, would you rather Ron paint on a smile and give the "pro GN'R" answer expected. This is what being in a band is all about, taking the good with the bad. Ron is being honest and is not leading anyone on in regards to the new album situation. I don't see how a GN'R fan can slam him for always being up front and true to the bone with us fans. Sure, saying the comment about "bullshitting us" may of been abit strong, but at the end of the day the guys frustrated up to his teeth, about the constant issue of new material being released. Ron has just as much of a right to say that the current band haven't recorded together, than DJ had to saying he's shown lots of ideas to Axl. As jarmo said, one doesn't contradict the other, Ron is just more honest about how far we are away from material from this current band.
I couldn't disagree with you more and, frankly, can't see why you're not getting this. It's not about what his point is. It's about how he's getting it across. He could have been honest about his view of the situation regarding a new album WITHOUT making the comment about how he's the only one not bullshitting us. That was a passive aggressive comment that served as a public criticism of his bandmates. It's airing his dirty laundry in public. It serves no purpose. None whatsoever.

I don't expect dishonesty or a lack of frustration. I'm not begrudging his right to feel what he feels or be honest. But, that extra "bullshitting" comment went above being honest with us. It was unnecessary. Unfortunately, BBF seems to have a tendency to air his feelings publicly in a way that seems to allow his frustration to go unmonitored to the point of unnecessary, and even rude comments being made publicly. I personally find it to be unworthy of praise.

Ali
Conan
Headliner

« Reply #1211 on: March 06, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »

If you think a covers album or a re-release of mostly earlier material is what GNR "fans" are pining for these days, then I think you're very much mistaken. I believe that only a new album of original material will satisfy these people (and probably not even then).

GNR took more than 4 years after the release of AFD to release a new album of original material. The only difference between the situation now and the situation after AFD was the release of the 4 new acoustic tracks on the GNR Lies EP. The 4 earlier tracks were a re-release of the "Live Like a Suicide" EP.

And it hasn't been "one album in 20 years" - AXLGNR. IF Spaghetti Incident and re-released earlier material counts as a "release" to you, then fair has to be fair and GNR Live Era and GNR Greatest Hits surely have to count as "releases"
too?

On top of which there have been the single releases of Sympathy of the Devil and OMG. But don't take my word for it. Let's look at the timeline shall we?

Live Like a Suicide - December 1986. 7 months ->

Appetite For Destruction - July 1987. 16 months ->

GNR Lies - November 1988. 21 months ->

Civil War - July 1990. 14 months ->

UYI 1/2 - September 1991. 26 months ->

Spaghetti Incident - November 1993. 12 months ->

Sympathy for the Devil - November 1994. 60 months ->

Oh My God - November 1999. 1 month ->

Live Era - December 1999. 29 months ->  

Greatest Hits - May 2004. 52 months ->

Shackler's Revenge - September 2008. 1 month ->

Chinese Democracy (single) - October 2008. 1 month ->  

Chinese Democracy. November 2008-  March 2013 -> 53 months.

I admit there is no new music on the horizon, but again, the above shows a 51 month gap between AFD and UYI and a 53 month gap from CD until now. THAT's why everything at present seems rather familiar to me. Extended periods with no releases of original material and then returning with a brilliant album of original material IS the norm for GNR.  

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:55:13 PM by Conan » Logged
Conan
Headliner

« Reply #1212 on: March 06, 2013, 11:17:59 PM »

Exactly!

They used to be a normal rock band, putting out music on a timely basis. One album in 20 years isn't timely basis, or normal. It's ridiculous. And to think that Axl supposedly has 30 or more songs, why aren't we hearing them? Or at least what's going on with new music?

It took 14 years for Chinese Democracy to come out, and it's been over 4 years since it's been out. That doesn't sound like a functional band to me. And Conan, you used "GN'R Lies" as a example of them using a album to hold over fans for the Illusions. So, why can't they do that now? Why can't they release a 8 songs EP of the Chinese Democracy leftovers, the best tracks that they feel could make a record. Than start from scratch.

And Slash has released 6 albums since leaving GN'R. 2 with Snakepit, 2 with Velvet Relvolver, and 2 solo. That's 5 move than Axl released since Spaghetti Incident. Than, there's Duff who's released 6 albums, and even Izzy has released more work than Axl over the last decade. So, it's not "GN'R" that are not functioning as a normal rock band, it's one man. And that's Axl. Bumblefoot has released multiple singles while being with GN'R. DJ has wrote a soundtrack for a movie that was released last year, and has worked on Sixx AM material while in GN'R. Tommy released his own solo album in 2011.

1. As shown in my previous post above it hasn't been "one album in 20 years" if "5 releases in 7 years" is allowable.

2. The gaps between releases of original material (not full albums) have been remarkably similar as shown in the timeline above. If we get even one new original song released this year then GNR will have remained overall relatively consistent in it's timelines for release of new, original music.

3. UYI recordings was a "unit". LOL. Was that the "unit" where Steven Adler was fired during the recording process and that Matt Sorum was brought in for? The one that Dizzy Reed joined? The one that Izzy quit only 2 months after the recording had finished and saw Gilby Clarke replace him? The one that featured Alice Cooper, Shannon Hoon, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan as well as Axl on vocals at various times?   

Thought so...

As to why we can't get something released to "tide us over", I suspect there are any number of possibilities:

1. There isn't enough finished material to release an album, EP or even a single. 
2. The label won't support the release of anything but a full album.
3. The label won't support the release of anything.
4. The label will support the release of anything the band wants to do, but the band isn't satisfied with the terms and conditions of any such release.
5. The label will support the release of anything the band wants to do, but the band only has enough for an EP and will in due course record more for a full album.   
6. The label is refusing to release whatever material is recorded and finished in single, EP or LP form for some other, non-financial reason.
7. GNR are hamstrung by contractual issues, preventing the release of new material, ie: they are contractually obligated to deliver a full album of original material, but only have enough for EP.
8. GNR isn't actually interested in releasing new material at the present time.
9. The material recorded isn't considered good enough to be released under the GNR name.
10. The material currently recorded doesn't really interest the band any longer, they no longer wish to release it and they want to move in a new direction but they can't for contractual reasons, relating to the great expense of ChiDem sessions.

The list of possibilities is endless.

The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #1213 on: March 07, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »

Ron has gone from giving interviews where he tries to paint everything as being positive and going well, recording etc. To giving interviews where he doesn't give a crap, and basically says "this is how it is in reality", and how "I'm the only one who doesn't bullshit you guys about it".

A rather big change in Rons attitude as the years go on and on with GN'R...  no

I hope that things change within Guns N' Roses for Ron to take a more active role in creating music, and everything else that goes along with that. It would be a sad thing for GN'R to lose Ron, because he is a huge asset to the group.  Wink
I am not singling you out, but your post is the best example to give a concise reply to, in the sense that you are on the money with your observations.

As I've said before, with Ron's spinal issues, he's probably in a place, mentally where other than his passion, every thing else is a head fuck.  By that I mean, the mundane, the bullshit and the unpleasant day to day stuff is stuff that he'd rather not have to deal with, but has to.  The type of questions asked at interviews for example, yes he'll acknowledge the fans want to know this stuff, but the same questions keep getting asked and after a while is becoming boring.  They don't ask questions such as how does touring effect his relationship with his wife? Do you have a routine on tour, that you follow, if so what is it?  Are you working on any projects at the moment outside of Guns.

Trust me, as somebody who has similar issues health wise, we live (moreso) for something interesting to be that distraction that take our mind off the general crap we are feeling and feel that life has something good to offer.  Pain and depression are classic bed-fellows, for that circle to be broken, we need to be indulged in something worth getting out of bed for.... And believe me, someday's bed seems like the ONLY option.  Sad
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #1214 on: March 07, 2013, 04:59:14 AM »

So that's a definite maybe for new music this year.

Coming from the man himself its hard not to take a positive viewpoint in this.

But precedence shows with the tentative release date given for Chinese, that perhaps we shouldn't hang out hopes on this comment. I think that's perhaps why Axl didn't elaborate. A new record, in 2013, is just a possibility.

In 2008 I think it wasn't clear until around August that Chinese was most probably being released, with shacklers being announced for rockband, and body of lies having if the world. So I guess if anything was to happen this year it's way too early to see concrete signs.

Fingers crossed!

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #1215 on: March 07, 2013, 05:32:35 AM »

It's interesting that the lead guitarist of our favourite band is as frustrated as us, and yet Jarmo still won't except people's opinion that this lack of productivity sucks! Yes the tours are great but it's time for something else. As Ron has said in the past listen to the fans.

And there is no way Ron was drunk- he's saying what he has said time and time again. With regards to Illusions, from what I recall from Duff's book it was Axl who was not playing ball. You can't ignore this- it's just history repeating itself. However I remain Patient!
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1216 on: March 07, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »

If you think a covers album or a re-release of mostly earlier material is what GNR "fans" are pining for these days, then I think you're very much mistaken. I believe that only a new album of original material will satisfy these people (and probably not even then).

GNR took more than 4 years after the release of AFD to release a new album of original material. The only difference between the situation now and the situation after AFD was the release of the 4 new acoustic tracks on the GNR Lies EP. The 4 earlier tracks were a re-release of the "Live Like a Suicide" EP.

And it hasn't been "one album in 20 years" - AXLGNR. IF Spaghetti Incident and re-released earlier material counts as a "release" to you, then fair has to be fair and GNR Live Era and GNR Greatest Hits surely have to count as "releases"
too?

On top of which there have been the single releases of Sympathy of the Devil and OMG. But don't take my word for it. Let's look at the timeline shall we?

Live Like a Suicide - December 1986. 7 months ->

Appetite For Destruction - July 1987. 16 months ->

GNR Lies - November 1988. 21 months ->

Civil War - July 1990. 14 months ->

UYI 1/2 - September 1991. 26 months ->

Spaghetti Incident - November 1993. 12 months ->

Sympathy for the Devil - November 1994. 60 months ->

Oh My God - November 1999. 1 month ->

Live Era - December 1999. 29 months ->  

Greatest Hits - May 2004. 52 months ->

Shackler's Revenge - September 2008. 1 month ->

Chinese Democracy (single) - October 2008. 1 month ->  

Chinese Democracy. November 2008-  March 2013 -> 53 months.

I admit there is no new music on the horizon, but again, the above shows a 51 month gap between AFD and UYI and a 53 month gap from CD until now. THAT's why everything at present seems rather familiar to me. Extended periods with no releases of original material and then returning with a brilliant album of original material IS the norm for GNR.  

I don't know, bud.
We must live in different time zones.

When comparing the productivity of GN'R eras, there is no comparison.
One was, one isn't.

Any way you slice it, Lies is an official release. It happened.
How many people do you know personally that were listening to Live Like a Suicide before AFD broke?
Not many. Lies was "new" to most fans upon it's release.

There was a gap between Lies and UYI, but not in the same stratosphere of gaps between UYI(or Spaghetti) and Chinese.
When UYI was released, it was 2 albums of material.
5 releases, 7 years.

Throw out Spaghetti if you'd like, as it's not GN'R originals.
Live Era and Greatest Hits were released post classic Guns, yes, but the material has nothing to do with the current lineup, so they don't help your argument.

Keep it bare bones if you'd like.

GN'R '87-'93, AFD, Lies, UYI & II = 4 releases

GN'R '96-'13 Chinese Democracy = 1 release

4 beats 1 by my math.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1217 on: March 07, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »

Don't try to rewrite history because it suits your agenda.

Use Your Illusion wasn't a case of an unit "who wrote and recorded as one".

Remember how the original drummer was fired? Remember how his playing is featured on one of the tracks? Remember how several of the songs existed before the band even existed? Remember how the band members at the time would say in interviews how they had written songs for the next album, either on their own or with somebody?

Don't try to make it seem like they wrote those songs in the studio together.

As far as we know, they weren't even in the studio together all that much. Did you forget how everybody did their parts?

I'd take quality over quantity ay day of the week.

Some of you make it sound like it's your right to have new music from GN'R on a schedule that suits your "normal rock band" idea. Whine, whine, whine. So many brilliant artists' lives ended too early because of the pressures of being a "normal rock band". We're talking about people here, not machines or robots.

If somebody doesn't wanna release a new album every three-four years because it doesn't seem like a good idea, it's up to them. Maybe the record company or somebody with financial investment would disagree but that's between them. Fans demanding music is ridiculous.

Especially people who post unbelievable things like "I don't know if it's a good idea that he's happy because anger makes great music".

/jarmo

Jarmo,

Fans demanding music is not ridiculous, Its a good thing. This is a sign that there are people out there who want to support this lineup and want to hear what type of music they can make together. Sure they can play "The Hits" and have great chemistry on stage but arent you curious to see if this translates to the studio? Its kinda hard to rid themselves of the "hired guns" name when a good chunk of them didnt even write any of the material on CD. If Axl feels as strongly as he says he does about this lineup then lets see what they can do in the studio. He certainly makes it seem like he loves the comraderie and the chemistry this lineup posseses. Im a musician in a band. I totally get what BBF is going through. Its gotta be frustrating for him to go out there and in essence play someone elses material night after night. We as musicians are creative forces. Music is our outlet. I cant imagine having to play someone elses material night after night without being able to contribute new material at the same time. Unless your just in it for the money which it doesnt look like BBF is.

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1218 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »

Bravo. As posted above. I fail to see how any logical person (E.g non sycophant) could possibly disagree with this statement:

Fans demanding music is not ridiculous, Its a good thing. This is a sign that there are people out there who want to support this lineup and want to hear what type of music they can make together. Sure they can play "The Hits" and have great chemistry on stage but arent you curious to see if this translates to the studio? Its kinda hard to rid themselves of the "hired guns" name when a good chunk of them didnt even write any of the material on CD. If Axl feels as strongly as he says he does about this lineup then lets see what they can do in the studio. He certainly makes it seem like he loves the comraderie and the chemistry this lineup posseses. Im a musician in a band. I totally get what BBF is going through. Its gotta be frustrating for him to go out there and in essence play someone elses material night after night. We as musicians are creative forces. Music is our outlet. I cant imagine having to play someone elses material night after night without being able to contribute new material at the same time. Unless your just in it for the money which it doesnt look like BBF is.
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #1219 on: March 07, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »

My comment suggesting that perhaps Ron was drunk, was more wishful thinking than anything...I am sure he does feel frustrated, and I fear that Rons repeated public expressions of his frustration will hurt his relationship with the band/Axl.  Insert iceburg analogy here.  Seeing things like this makes me feel very uncomfortable as a fan.  I will leave it at that.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: