Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1678467 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5580 on: December 06, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »

I'm quite surprised they haven't bunged out a new 'hits' compilation really. Especially as they're all on record saying how much they hated the last one- even urging us not to buy it as I recall.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5581 on: December 06, 2016, 09:09:45 PM »

I'm quite surprised they haven't bunged out a new 'hits' compilation really. Especially as they're all on record saying how much they hated the last one- even urging us not to buy it as I recall.

They all hated it as they thought it would cut into sales of there back catalogue and I get that

The thing is.  The album become one of the bands biggest sellers!    It sold and still does sell huge

Another option would have a new greatest hits.    With one or two new songs on it.   No cover songs.   I do not need another themed album of gun n rose singing someone else's songs
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5582 on: December 06, 2016, 09:19:05 PM »

I am saying release both.   Do I have to repeat that another 100 times

If you want 12 new songs from this current line up.   Good luck.   

I get what you are saying... but if its 12 tracks - 10 from the past 10+years and 2 from the reformed lineup, then I don't think it's worth it. CD Era material, performed by the CD era lineup should not be released now, it makes no sense. Put a single new track on a movie soundtrack for a Superhero film... release 2 or 3 tracks on iTunes (or another medium like that with no physical presence... but wait until this wraps up to force the CD catalog on a public that isn't looking for it.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5583 on: December 06, 2016, 09:28:47 PM »

I get what you are saying... but if its 12 tracks - 10 from the past 10+years and 2 from the reformed lineup, then I don't think it's worth it. CD Era material, performed by the CD era lineup should not be released now, it makes no sense. Put a single new track on a movie soundtrack for a Superhero film... release 2 or 3 tracks on iTunes (or another medium like that with no physical presence... but wait until this wraps up to force the CD catalog on a public that isn't looking for it.

For a fan it sounds good.   

For the band it sounds good. As all the production costs are already paid for

This lineup has proven they have no problem playing material they didn't write so what's a couple more songs   At least it's original gnr songs and not covers

Perhaps one gets picked up and is a hit.   Then there is mega money     For the previous writers of the music and for the current line up with even more exposour
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5584 on: December 06, 2016, 09:41:46 PM »

This lineup has proven they have no problem playing material they didn't write so what's a couple more songs   At least it's original gnr songs and not covers

Perhaps one gets picked up and is a hit.   Then there is mega money     For the previous writers of the music and for the current line up with even more exposour

Axl makes a ton of money. There is almost no incentive for Slash and Duff to be part of releasing an album with no writing credits. And all due respect to them, but what in the he'll does Slash care if Robin gets a little more exposure?

That's the perspective I'm looking at it from. I don't see where it makes sense to this lineup as a whole...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5585 on: December 06, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »

Axl makes a ton of money. There is almost no incentive for Slash and Duff to be part of releasing an album with no writing credits. And all due respect to them, but what in the he'll does Slash care if Robin gets a little more exposure?

That's the perspective I'm looking at it from. I don't see where it makes sense to this lineup as a whole...

Agreed 100%.

Not sure playing 4 CD songs a night is the same as putting their name on material they did not create and then promote it as the latest chapter for Guns N' Roses. 

Which I assume they still consider their band, at least on some level.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5586 on: December 06, 2016, 09:53:23 PM »

There is huge incentive for them.

You write a song and put it on a album

Your can't write just one song and call it an album.  But this band has the fortune of having a tone of songs unreleased

Perhaps one of them would catch on

All royalties for everyone would increase

But perhaps you are right

There is more money in doing nothing with nothing

Or how about they all sit down and record a full fledged bum. That would've cool    Riiiight
Let's just keep the covers coming.   Way better than anything else
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5587 on: December 06, 2016, 10:55:29 PM »

For Slash and Duff? I have trouble seeing what it would be. In your example they add one maybe two tracks to ten or more written by a decade old version of a band they created. Why continue to push forward a 'dead' band. Axl walked away from them all, why celebrate it while this line up is more popular than any point since 1993?

See above...

Your can't write just one song and call it an album.  But this band has the fortune of having a tone of songs unreleased

I never said album... release one new track for something like Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spiderman Homecoming, Infinity War, etc...

A Slash and Duff based track is much more likely to attract attention than a Bucket (or other random CD Era band member) track, an I think that kind of success could light a fire under Axl's ass to work on new material with theses guys (and gal).

They are paid based on their writing credits... they would make a fraction of what Axl and the other older members would make...
You are right in that this makes sense for Axl and the other guys, but not so much Slash, Duff and even Melissa.

Also a large portion of your current fan base has no interest in Bucket and Robin tracks.

Or how about they all sit down and record a full fledged bum. That would've cool    Riiiight

How would they market it?

"You wanted the best? Well they didn't fucking make it, so here's what you get, from 2002, the shit that didn't make our last album!"... As a fan, don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining. Talk about a giant step backwards for the name of this band.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5588 on: December 06, 2016, 11:03:41 PM »

For Slash and Duff? I have trouble seeing what it would be. In your example they add one maybe two tracks to ten or more written by a decade old version of a band they created. Why continue to push forward a 'dead' band. Axl walked away from them all, why celebrate it while this line up is more popular than any point since 1993?

See above...

I never said album... release one new track for something like Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spiderman Homecoming, Infinity War, etc...

A Slash and Duff based track is much more likely to attract attention than a Bucket (or other random CD Era band member) track, an I think that kind of success could light a fire under Axl's ass to work on new material with theses guys (and gal).

They are paid based on their writing credits... they would make a fraction of what Axl and the other older members would make...
You are right in that this makes sense for Axl and the other guys, but not so much Slash, Duff and even Melissa.

Also a large portion of your current fan base has no interest in Bucket and Robin tracks.

How would they market it?

"You wanted the best? Well they didn't fucking make it, so here's what you get, from 2002, the shit that didn't make our last album!"... As a fan, don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining. Talk about a giant step backwards for the name of this band.

You use this current tour to market it

Just like. T shirt. Have the album front and centre

Why be afraid of gnr past?   

Embrace it

You are acting like slash and duff have any say in any future guns music.   Slash and duff have say in any future  guns music could ntainint them.   

I hope they write 100 songs.  Won't happen.    2 songs tops I see

Cool put it on a soundtrack.   Cool release the. With other songs. 

Just do something.   

And not play easy cover songs
GNR1977
Opening Act

« Reply #5589 on: December 07, 2016, 12:09:01 AM »

They all hated it as they thought it would cut into sales of there back catalogue and I get that

The thing is.  The album become one of the bands biggest sellers!    It sold and still does sell huge

Another option would have a new greatest hits.    With one or two new songs on it.   No cover songs.   I do not need another themed album of gun n rose singing someone else's songs

Uhm I think greatest hits went out of print some time ago. I was hoping for a new release of a greatest hits with 2 new tracks too but since they will tour well into september I guess we will have to wait until end of 2017 earliest.

05-06-1993 Nijmegen
24-06-2006 Dessel
03-10-2010 Arnhem
04-06-2012 Rotterdam
23-04-2016 Indio, ca
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5590 on: December 07, 2016, 08:37:27 AM »

Uhm I think greatest hits went out of print some time ago. I was hoping for a new release of a greatest hits with 2 new tracks too but since they will tour well into september I guess we will have to wait until end of 2017 earliest.

Out of print? It definitely isn't! Why would it be- it still sells.

Didn't they edit some songs on it- cut out swearing and stuff? I've never bothered buying it- the packaging was crap, and I have every song on it of course, so it would be liking flinging money out of the window!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5591 on: December 07, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »

Ok, of course it's Richard Fortus talking, and we've been there before.. But it does indicates that there is also new stuff from scratch being tried out, IMO:

KSHE Interviewer: Will there ever be new music? To me the whole thing is great (..) everything come around full circle if new music was created.

Richard: We're messing with ideas every day. Every day we do at least an hour of soundcheck and we will play through different ideas, like new ideas, put stuff down on tape... Yeah.

KSHE Interviewer: That would be crazy

Richard: It's really organic and it happens... you know, same with rehearsals, we're always putting out different ideas, and getting stuff together and getting ready for that.

zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #5592 on: December 07, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »

they keep doing such things for like 15 years now, and nothing ever gets released. I don't think anything new is ever going out at all - this tour is a nostalgia/money thing anyway.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5593 on: December 07, 2016, 09:56:41 AM »

I think whether there's a new album released comes down to accepting, by both the band and the record company, that no real money will be made from a new album.  So, my view is that maybe the extended tour may be financing the album, making as much money as possible from performing that they won't from an album.

Also, I wonder if the new normal in this industry changes the question about whether fans are 'owed' an album.  Concert tickets and merchandise are obscenely more expensive these days compared to years past and, I think those excessive prices are acceptable to the extent they're generating revenue that is replacing what bands used to make from selling records.  So if I'm paying boatloads more than I used to on the concert end, maybe I am owed an album?  On the flip side, if fans are getting new music downloaded for free, maybe they owe the band too and so should be going to concerts in their area, buying merchandise, joining fan clubs, etc. 

So every radio station is just going to turn in a classic rock station??    I don't think so

New music is all over the place

New bands and old bands are all putting out new music.   

There is a crap ton of money to be made off of new music.

Honestly I am not sure of the expenses involved in producing a new album.....   I am sure its more than zero and less than the 13 million that the CD album cost.

But once its released its new product that the brand GNR can use.  Geeze they have been playing a couple of these songs every concert since the 1980s!!  More content would be great!!!!   

People at concerts buy lots of crap.  If you had a new album at one of these concerts, it would sell.   A new song would be played on the radio.  How do I know this?  Because now with proper promotion of a tour, for a concert that is one year away, my local radio stations will not stop playing guns n roses music.   It was never like this for past tours.  New material would sell.

Right now there is zero money in releasing nothing.   The will make nothing off of releasing nothing.   Now they may have to spend something to make something.  If nothing, they would have to put time and energy into it

Big difference between current Top 40 and upcoming bands on the one hand and legacy acts like GnR.  Newer bands need music to develop enough of a following to make money on concerts.  Guns don't have that problem.  But to a point, I do agree with you that new music would help them in terms of preventing their tour from becoming a stale nostalgic act.  But, get real, a new album from them won't sell much.  Bottom line, we'll get a new album only if it's something they really want to do (and they should want to!), even if it won't be a money maker for them. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5594 on: December 07, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »

Big difference between current Top 40 and upcoming bands on the one hand and legacy acts like GnR.  Newer bands need music to develop enough of a following to make money on concerts.  Guns don't have that problem.  But to a point, I do agree with you that new music would help them in terms of preventing their tour from becoming a stale nostalgic act.  But, get real, a new album from them won't sell much.  Bottom line, we'll get a new album only if it's something they really want to do (and they should want to!), even if it won't be a money maker for them. 

All true.

But while Slash (and to a lesser extent Duff) was content to do one trip down memory lane tour, I'm not sure they want to make a habit of it.

I would think if the 3 of them plan on continuing as Guns N' Roses after this, they are going to want to do so behind a new album they all worked on.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5595 on: December 07, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »

they keep doing such things for like 15 years now, and nothing ever gets released. I don't think anything new is ever going out at all - this tour is a nostalgia/money thing anyway.
This is exactly the same thing I heard around the early 2000's, especially before the 2006 leaks. I know its been quite some time, but I really don't think the band before were in the position to write (or finish) the music Axl wanted. I do think it's different now.

But while Slash (and to a lesser extent Duff) was content to do one trip down memory lane tour, I'm not sure they want to make a habit of it.

I would think if the 3 of them plan on continuing as Guns N' Roses after this, they are going to want to do so behind a new album they all worked on.
I agree 199%.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5596 on: December 07, 2016, 12:02:34 PM »

All true.

Agreed.  The more I think about this, I think this is the only way a proper new album will materialize, that is, if they all have a voice on it...I.E. Writing credits.

If Axl wants to have them rework unreleased Chi Dem era tracks like The General, Soul Monster, Atlas Shrugged etc, fine.  But have them completely reworked other than the vocals which can probably stay as they are.  Don't simply slap a Slash solo over Bumblefoot and Robin Finck rhythms that were laid down in 2001-2007.  For example, November Rain, Estranged & TIL are Axl credited songs, but gave the guitarists a clear voice.  Those particular tracks were not cut and paste jobs with a laundry list of credited players. It would be wise for Axl pick a handful of unreleased tracks he's attached to be reworked, but have everything else be completely new and fresh and indicative of who Guns N' Roses are in 2017 or whenever it comes out.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:07:42 PM by sofine11 » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #5597 on: December 07, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »

my own opinion is that there is pressure on them NOT to release new music.

this tour has been a major success. everyone is excited about seeing the reunion and hearing the 8-12 songs that regularly get played on the radio performed live by Axl and Slash. and there are still many places around the globe that have yet to see this show. why take a chance at screwing that up?

if they come out with a new album, it COULD flop, which would generate negative press about the band, which could POSSIBLY turn people off to the reunion.

everyone's view of Axl/Slash is golden. an album puts that near perfect brand at risk.

at this point, its a risk not worth taking.   

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5598 on: December 07, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »

this tour has been a major success. everyone is excited about seeing the reunion and hearing the 8-12 songs that regularly get played on the radio performed live by Axl and Slash. and there are still many places around the globe that have yet to see this show. why take a chance at screwing that up?

if they come out with a new album, it COULD flop, which would generate negative press about the band, which could POSSIBLY turn people off to the reunion.

everyone's view of Axl/Slash is golden. an album puts that near perfect brand at risk.

Right, but by the end of next summer they will have brought this tour to the entire world.  I think they're safe under the "Not In This Lifetime" banner until September 2017, before they start seriously thinking about "reinventing the wheel."  Nowadays, dropping a new album is a nice way for big bands to "re-brand" the touring machine to keep things going and making it interesting again.   Of course the real money is in touring, but it's more about putting a fresh coat of paint on things.  Nothing wrong with that, and if the music is good (I'm sure it will be) then it's win win for everyone.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5599 on: December 07, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »

Right, but by the end of next summer they will have brought this tour to the entire world.  I think they're safe under the "Not In This Lifetime" banner until September 2017, before they start seriously thinking about "reinventing the wheel."  Nowadays, dropping a new album is a nice way for big bands to "re-brand" the touring machine to keep things going and making it interesting again.   Of course the real money is in touring, but it's more about putting a fresh coat of paint on things.  Nothing wrong with that, and if the music is good (I'm sure it will be) then it's win win for everyone.

I think they are safe to keep touring under this banner, until they put a show on within 1 hr travel time of a previous show a year previous.....

"Not in this life time tour!"  Well I saw them just down the street last year with this show!   Not in this lifetime, again.......!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: