Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 06:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228554 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1682409 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3620 on: January 08, 2015, 04:26:48 PM »

Haha. Awesome!

I admit putting the phrase there because it's always funny to see the reaction.
"You question my fandom? How dare you! I'm a big fan damn you! * Pouts * "

That's funny.

You mad genius, you.

I was very happy with how the exchange went.  So, looks like we both win.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3621 on: January 08, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »

I just want to thank you all... You have entertained the hell out of me today during a slow one at the office. But I'm calling it a day.

Aren't we delightful?

I'm about ready to punch out myself. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3622 on: January 08, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »

Haha. Awesome!

That's funny.

You mad genius, you.

rofl As if he wasn't dead serious as he typed it...

For the life of me, I cannot understand a grown man questioning another's fandom because of their lack of faith in the the current management regime.  Unreal, as it is baffling.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:32:01 PM by sofine11 » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3623 on: January 08, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »

It's hard to take some of you seriously.....  peace

Referring to real fans gets some of you every time. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #3624 on: January 08, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »

Which previous tours? You have to be more specific.
I'm sorry but you're also comparing tours that were the first time, or tours that were return visits. Also tours that had more shows in one country than the previous visit. All kinds of different issues that you don't take into consideration.

Nu gnr South American tours. Allow me to rephrase the question. Was their last tour of S. America as successful as their previous tours? You cannot dodge the S. America is no longer a guaranteed sell out for Axl like it was in the past. TB presided over that. In a way, I brought up S. America merely to make a rhetorical point. Far more worrying is the collapse of the United States market.

So the management at the time is responsible for the disaster. Ok.

Well, Axl is the common denominator here. I am not going to argue with you there.

But all of them tour to make a living! Smiley

Yes, off a brand new album with brand new songs in place, and setlists which vary from night-to-night. Isn't the, album-tour cycle, a wonderful thing, the cycle which Axl departs so much from? We get to buy an album and then go to see the songs live within a two year time frame.

I'm sorry. But people go there to hear the songs they know.
Just because some of us are on the Internet dissecting every setlist doesn't mean Joe Average in Omaha knows what songs the band played at the show the night before his show.

Not everybody going to the shows give a damn about fan sites.

I think if you act like that, you get the crowd you deserve. There are however artists who do not act, as you describe, and shape sets which radically depart from a 'greatest hits' list and still draw crowds and command artistic respect. There are also bands which find a middle ground.

Do you criticise Axl for playing, five, five new songs, at Rio 3. ''I am'', after all, ''Average Joe. I am a casual. I do not want to here his modern industrial rubbish. I own one CD by this band, Greatest Hits. Give me Jungle and November Rain Mr Rose''. What about when half of the GN'R setlist consisted of new unheard of material, on the 1991 tour? Do you criticise Axl, the man who said ''I want to bury Appetite'', for such a flagrant disregard of his audience. (My questions are rhetorical as I know you cannot bring yourself to criticise Axl even if Axl contradicts your own beliefs!)

Is there evidence? Man, you're the ones who keep telling me what you read in so and so article. And you have no evidence that the record companies don't really operate like they used to?

It's funny. On one hand you're there to point out the last album was a failure, then you don't understand why a band would tour and now you wonder how much money they need to make.
If you invest ?10 in the lottery and only win ?5. You've lost ?5. In order to not lose money, you'd wanna get that ?5 back some other way.

For lack of evidence either way, I can only assume the record company would finance a new release. This is, after all, how 99.9% of albums are made and marketed. Also, with the record being finished, presumably he does not need this money?
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #3625 on: January 08, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »

@MortisMurphy

Jarmo is right about bands touring to fund new albums. It is the way of the world now. Hence, if you want a new GN'R album, stop slating how much touring they are doing

Universal are currently suing entities who do mixtapes for people in prison, that is how low and desperate they have become. There is no money there anymore.
mortismurphy
« Reply #3626 on: January 08, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »

@MortisMurphy

Jarmo is right about bands touring to fund new albums. It is the way of the world now. Hence, if you want a new GN'R album, stop slating how much touring they are doing

Universal are currently suing entities who do mixtapes for people in prison, that is how low and desperate they have become. There is no money there anymore.

But it is apparently done. The $13 million which Interscope shelled out, was for CD2 just as much as CD. We are told he has two complete records in the can! What can that money then, be potentially required, to bring this record to completion?

I do not buy the argument, that the band have been touring for the last few years to fund CD2 - sorry, I do not buy it.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3627 on: January 08, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »

Haha. Awesome!

That's funny.

You mad genius, you.

rofl As if he wasn't dead serious as he typed it...

I have one rule of thumb on message boards.

You will likely never convert the person you are arguing with, probably.  Hopefully, it can at least be kept respectful.  But, odds are, wagons will be circled and people dig in.  At that point, things can deteriorate.

All I try and do is present my stuff so that any third party without an emotionally vested interest can read it and make their call on how I did.  I'm generally content with how those judgments go.  I will win more than I lose in terms of that perception.

I think the worst offense on any board about any topic is a person not interested in an actual conversation.  I will never be that person.  I'm not ducking questions, setting up strawmen, or too scared to engage.  People may not agree with my viewpoint, but odds are, they will see I'm at least trying to have a dialogue.

And hey, if the other guy makes himself looks crazy in the process, well...sometimes you get lucky.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #3628 on: January 08, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »

Was Niven? Was Goldstein? Was Merck? Was Azoff? (edit: I have no idea why Niven got autocorrected to Irving).

Of those 4, I'm thinking the only qualified "yes" would involve Merck.  And his efforts were...mostly...ummmmm....not so good.

I was more making the point they didn't look at us with such condescension and annoyance.  Face it, TB do.

Who has ever come out on the winning end of picking fights with your own fans?  Its a losing proposition.

Idk that they do, because i have never felt talked down to, targeted, or condescended to, by them. I did feel that way, though, with azoff. Or, more to the point, that the fans were cash cows to be milked any and every way possible.

I know others have felt that way (condesceneded/targeted/talked down to) with tb, so i will let those people comment/debate.

Since you clarified that you meant sonething other than what you said...i will go back to lurking.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #3629 on: January 08, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »

I think the real fans know the deal They don't seem to question my credibility day in and day out.
The ones who don't, they're the ones who have agendas. They don't like how I choose to run my site, they don't like that they were stupid enough to get banned from a fan site or they don't like what I've experienced.

That whole response is perfect, but that first line...gold.  Just fucking beautiful.

You seem to loathe at least half of us that post here.  You look way the fuck down your nose.  You call us "fake fans".  Even go as far as to tell us what we are REALLY thinking or REALLY doing with our posts.  You're not fooled about how nefarious some of us are. 

And that's just the people willing to post here.  I can only imagine what you think of people that won't even come here and play your little reindeer games.  I doubt its complimentary.

You have told me more than once you'd rather a day go by without even one new post rather than it have it be something you don't want to hear.

Well, that is also the perception of TB, pretty much.  All that same stuff.  They tolerate the fans, but no more than they have to.  And demand total devotion to the point of total unreasonableness.  You can't accept that?  Some fan you are then.  Go follow some other band, hater.  They'll just stick with the true believers.

You know..."the real fans".

Not wrong.

The real joke here is that when/if GNR drops the next album, D-X, JAEBALL, Ginger King and I will likely be the first to buy it and see Guns when they come to town.  Key word here is "buy" Jarmo. Do you remember what that is?   hihi

So true.  Christ, I'm going to see Dizzy play this weekend.  Also, a client bought me a signed picture of Axl for Christmas this year (if I can figure out how to post a pic of it I will).  You usually don't get those kind of gifts if you're not a fan.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3630 on: January 08, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »

Forgot one.  I also don't score my own fights.  People that score their own fights tend to always be undefeated, as they see it.  

But I often wonder who they are trying to convince with their boasts.  Or are not confident enough to just let their body of work speak for itself.  

Other people pick the winners in these things.  Not the people involved.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3631 on: January 08, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »

Nu gnr South American tours. Allow me to rephrase the question. Was their last tour of S. America as successful as their previous tours? You cannot dodge the S. America is no longer a guaranteed sell out for Axl like it was in the past. TB presided over that. In a way, I brought up S. America merely to make a rhetorical point. Far more worrying is the collapse of the United States market.

Ok. So we're talking about 2010, 2011 and 2014.

Are you aware that I don't think any of those tours were complete sell outs?
The only markets they went back to were the major ones. And then played in new places each time.

Five Brazilian shows in 2010 compared to nine in 2014. Three shows in the south of the country, compared to one in 2010.

I don't know if it makes sense to you, but imagine if the band plays Birmingham only. Compared to playing Birmingham and Manchester or Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool. You know those cites are kinda within driving distance from each other. So you might have one sold out show compared to three not sold out shows. Which do you prefer? I'm sure fans in Liverpool love to see the band in their city instead of traveling to Birmingham in the middle of the week....

Well, Axl is the common denominator here. I am not going to argue with you there.

No no no. We're talking about management booking unnecessary tours. So you think the 2002 management team was responsible.
Don't backtrack.

Yes, off a brand new album with brand new songs in place, and setlists which vary from night-to-night. Isn't the, album-tour cycle, a wonderful thing, the cycle which Axl departs so much from? We get to buy an album and then go to see the songs live within a two year time frame.

Have you ever, ever, ever, seen a tour based on paying an old album in full? Or a greatest hits tour? Or "20 years since that tour" tour?
No?

I think if you act like that, you get the crowd you deserve. There are however artists who do not act, as you describe, and shape sets which radically depart from a 'greatest hits' list and still draw crowds and command artistic respect. There are also bands which find a middle ground.

AC/DC doesn't sell out stadiums because people wanna hear their latest single.

Do you criticise Axl for playing, five, five new songs, at Rio 3. ''I am'', after all, ''Average Joe. I am a casual. I do not want to here his modern industrial rubbish. I own one CD by this band, Greatest Hits. Give me Jungle and November Rain Mr Rose''. What about when half of the GN'R setlist consisted of new unheard of material, on the 1991 tour? Do you criticise Axl, the man who said ''I want to bury Appetite'', for such a flagrant disregard of his audience. (My questions are rhetorical as I know you cannot bring yourself to criticise Axl even if Axl contradicts your own beliefs!)

The difference is that I don't criticize. I enjoy the show!
My favorite band playing all these songs I love and there's thousands of others like me there. It's great!
My beliefs are simple. The band plays what they want. They're not gonna play more new songs just because you think so. Or less. Smiley

For lack of evidence either way, I can only assume the record company would finance a new release. This is, after all, how 99.9% of albums are made and marketed. Also, with the record being finished, presumably he does not need this money?

I'm sure somebody will tell you that they read something about how the record company stopped funding the sessions....

But if the record wasn't finished? There's always that possibility!:D  hihi

I'm not ducking questions,

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Yeah, you just "accidentally" lose interest in something when you realize you got nothing to back up what you said.... Funny.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:51:15 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3632 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »

I'm not ducking questions,

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

A direct question?  I answer every one. 

I just did so with EmilyGNR, and she fucking hates me.  And I figured it was a waste of my time (and it turned out to be), but its rude not to answer.

Now...you, on the other hand, have a somewhat different interpretation, I find.  You will take something I said, twist it around, and then ask me to defend a bunch of ridiculous nonsense I never said.  Sometimes, I'll humor you.  But other times, like if you've been doing it all damn day, yes...my patience will eventually run out.

You would be the worst interviewer since Jiminy Glick.  But at least he was actively going for the laughs.

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #3633 on: January 08, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »

@MortisMurphy

But it is apparently done. The $13 million which Interscope shelled out, was for CD2 just as much as CD. We are told he has two complete records in the can! What can that money then, be potentially required, to bring this record to completion?

I do not buy the argument, that the band have been touring for the last few years to fund CD2 - sorry, I do not buy it.

There are elements to consider.

Firstly, most of your information is based on heresay

Secondly, if correct, $13 million dollars is a drop in the ocean compared to how much Universal have actually made from GN'R, so there is no need to feel sorry for them and keep repeating that stat. And, to be fair, how much of that money was actually spent by Axl. From stories, you get a sense that the record company were throwing money at random people hoping to get CD released as early as possible. Of course, we were entering a download era, so they were probably worrying.

Finally, even if previous money has paid for some current songs, they will still need to be tidied up, mixed and mastered. It costs alot of money. And there are so many other expenses to consider. I cannot even to begin to imagine what costs are involved there days with bands like GN'R. The main thing is, they are still grinding it out, bringing the money in, and working on getting some music out.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3634 on: January 08, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »

Forgot one.  I also don't score my own fights.  People that score their own fights tend to always be undefeated, as they see it.  

But I often wonder who they are trying to convince with their boasts.  Or are not confident enough to just let their body of work speak for itself.  

Other people pick the winners in these things.  Not the people involved.

Circular logic is a beast.  If every answer to every question is essentially the same answer, well....

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3635 on: January 08, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »

Circular logic is a beast.  If every answer to every question is essentially the same answer, well....

It just strikes me as so lame.  If you feel you made good points, people will see it.  Don't worry.  Give people some credit.

I can't see following up my own posts with "Man, you just got OWNED!!"  Or elbowing the guy next to you and saying "See that?  See how I just owned that guy?"

I feel that speaks to an insecurity and lack of belief in your conversational acumen.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3636 on: January 08, 2015, 05:02:57 PM »

It just strikes me as so lame.  If you feel you made good points, people will see it.  Don't worry.  Give people some credit.

I can't see following up my own posts with "Man, you just got OWNED!!"  Or elbowing the guy next to you and saying "See that?  See how I just owned that guy?"

I feel that speaks to an insecurity and lack of belief in your conversational acumen.

It's basically insecurity, as I see it.  If an adult makes a point that they believe in, they don't feel the need to follow it up with that type of foolishness if they don't like another person's response to it.  As if it cements their opinion as gospel. All you can do in response is basically look at their answer while blinking dumbfounded.
mortismurphy
« Reply #3637 on: January 08, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »

No no no. We're talking about management booking unnecessary tours. So you think the 2002 management team was responsible.
Don't backtrack.

But I never claimed the 2002 was unnecessary! My reading of that tour was, it was a sort of, pre-album, stroke, relaunch (of GN'R) tour. Axl had not toured in nearly ten years so there was enough to justify its existence.

Have you ever, ever, ever, seen a tour based on paying an old album in full? Or a greatest hits tour? Or "20 years since that tour" tour?
No?

You have misread me but to continue with your misinterpretation,

- Neil Young, Tonight's the Night and Greendale Tours.
- Every Pink Floyd tour
- The Who's Tommy tour.

But I never claimed that a band must play a whole new album. Most bands utilize their album to vary their setlists with, 4-6 new songs. You do not have to go to the extreme of playing the album in its entirety. There is a balance to be struck here.

AC/DC doesn't sell out stadiums because people wanna hear their latest single.

Hmm, maybe with their latest album but do not under-estimate Black Ice. It out performed Chinese Democracy and opened up, AC/DC, to legions of new fans in 2008. I would be surprised if one or two songs are not, now, permanent staples (this upcoming tour will tell us).

The difference is that I don't criticize. I enjoy the show!
My favorite band playing all these songs I love and there's thousands of others like me there. It's great!
My beliefs are simple. The band plays what they want. They're not gonna play more new songs just because you think so. Or less. Smiley

So you argue that I am wrong, because Mr Casual wants to hear Jungle, right? Now you become, a beacon of unconcerned neutrality, simply because I point out that my opinion chimes with W. Axl Rose's opinion - of a former age. This is hypocrisy of the highest order! Presumably, if certain fans want to hear the hits (and therefore are disinterested when new material is played), that presupposes that fans in 1991 and 2001 were indifferent with material Axl played!!

Was Axl wrong to play new songs in 1991 and 2001? Yes or no? I am wanting to see your conviction of this, pro-casual fan, argument.

I'm sure somebody will tell you that they read something about how the record company stopped funding the sessions....

But if the record wasn't finished? There's always that possibility!:D  hihi

Well, we do not know the contractual relationship. It is all speculation really. I just do not feel the money has headed into the studio. I think the touring has gone on for too long, for it to have an immediate reason. But I am guessing, like, everyone else.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3638 on: January 08, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »

Now...you, on the other hand, have a somewhat different interpretation, I find.  You will take something I said, twist it around, and then ask me to defend a bunch of ridiculous nonsense I never said.  Sometimes, I'll humor you.  But other times, like if you've been doing it all damn day, yes...my patience will eventually run out.

That's your interpretation. The problem the way I see it, is that you're wrong from the start. But you don't see it. Since you're, in your own not so modest mind, never wrong.

You would be the worst interviewer since Jiminy Glick.  But at least he was actively going for the laughs.

Read my interview?

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3639 on: January 08, 2015, 05:29:10 PM »

But I never claimed the 2002 was unnecessary! My reading of that tour was, it was a sort of, pre-album, stroke, relaunch (of GN'R) tour. Axl had not toured in nearly ten years so there was enough to justify its existence.

No, but a disaster. And since you're blaming management for tours, that's on them. You know, you can't blame one and then not blame the other.
Doesn't work like that!

You have misread me but to continue with your misinterpretation,

I did not misread you. You made a claim that tours are in support of new albums. I made a comment that it's not always the case. Some tours are just booked around a theme. Not a new album.

Hmm, maybe with their latest album but do not under-estimate Black Ice. It out performed Chinese Democracy and opened up, AC/DC, to legions of new fans in 2008. I would be surprised if one or two songs are not, now, permanent staples (this upcoming tour will tell us).

Walmart did a better job than Best Buy.

So you argue that I am wrong, because Mr Casual wants to hear Jungle, right? Now you become, a beacon of unconcerned neutrality, simply because I point out that my opinion chimes with W. Axl Rose's opinion - of a former age. This is hypocrisy of the highest order! Presumably, if certain fans want to hear the hits (and therefore are disinterested when new material is played), that presupposes that fans in 1991 and 2001 were indifferent with material Axl played!!

The whole point all along has been that the old album - tour cycle is dead.
There's no guarantees that a new album will mean more ticket sales or that a tour means more album sales. Also, the fact that a majority of the crowd at each show is less hardcore than us here plays into the setlist equation. They're not online reading about what songs didn't get played the show before.

There's no hypocrisy. I think Axl knows best what he wants to sing. If he thinks he shouldn't play unreleased songs on tour in 2014, he won't. Simple.
They've done both. Played (then) unreleased songs at shows and not played them. I've enjoyed both.

You can't go see a show and think "Man I'll be bummed if they don't play a song I don't know tonight". Makes no sense to me....

Was Axl wrong to play new songs in 1991 and 2001? Yes or no? I am wanting to see your conviction of this, pro-casual fan, argument.

No. Was he wrong in 2014 not to play any? No.

You know what? The irony of this is that if they hadn't played any new songs in 2006, you'd point out how it was the same show as in 2002. But, since they did, now you're pointing out that the shows in 2010 were the same as in 2006!

You win both ways! Isn't that amazing? Nothing is perfect!

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: