Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:49:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1679740 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3160 on: December 16, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »

I wonder if there will be any guest musicians on any of the new songs on the next album.

I would say there is a good chance of this being true, just due to the track record of some of Axls songs.

The UYI albums, Alice cooper, shannan hoon, etc..  CD album, Sebastian Bach...

I dont know who it would be this time, but I bet there will be someone

Don't you thin we'd have heard that in 10 year's time?

Either someone in the band, or the other artist himself?

For example, 50 Cent is on some Dre track that will never see the light of day probably, but he told us about it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3161 on: December 16, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »

I wonder if there will be any guest musicians on any of the new songs on the next album.

I would say there is a good chance of this being true, just due to the track record of some of Axls songs.

The UYI albums, Alice cooper, shannan hoon, etc..  CD album, Sebastian Bach...

I dont know who it would be this time, but I bet there will be someone

Don't you thin we'd have heard that in 10 year's time?

Either someone in the band, or the other artist himself?

For example, 50 Cent is on some Dre track that will never see the light of day probably, but he told us about it.

You are right, if something was already done.  And the only two I know of really are Brain May on Catcher and some kinda rap with Shak...   But from what I read the sebastian bach thing was pretty much done short notice on the fly, so i can see something like that happening

The more I think about this the more silly it all seems.   Can Axl really call this an album, if he releases just a bunch of unreleased material.  Really it is more like a collection of music, than an album.  Most bands sit down and write songs and thn put a album out.  They dont pick through hours of already recorded stuff, put it together and call that an album.  How will the next album have any continuity?  The only way I see any continuity is by calling it one giant chinease democracy album.   
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3162 on: December 16, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »

The more I think about this the more silly it all seems.   Can Axl really call this an album, if he releases just a bunch of unreleased material.  Really it is more like a collection of music, than an album.  Most bands sit down and write songs and thn put a album out.  They dont pick through hours of already recorded stuff, put it together and call that an album.  How will the next album have any continuity?  The only way I see any continuity is by calling it one giant chinease democracy album.   

All correct.  But, beggars can't be choosers, and we have to make our peace with all those things.

Its objectively insane to release an album under a band name containing music done by people some 10 plus years prior that are long gone and want nothing to do with you.  Then compound it with the fact that the people actually performing as that band...well, their input is not really needed.  There is no precedent for this sort of deal.

But that's life.  Look how long its taking to even get this fucked up thing out there.  Starting from scratch with the current band?  You could construct a pyramid first.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3163 on: December 16, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »

We've been told time and again that this material is done.  Most of us roll with that. 

That's not even the debate.

If that's your deal, good for you.  But that conversation has been done to death and I'm completely uninterested in an umpteenth go round.

Let me bold the text for you:

when you consider its already written and recorded.  The hardest parts are over and done with, and have been.    

Where did you get your fact that the hardest parts are done? Regarding this particular album, where or who did you get the information that the writing and/or recording are the hardest parts?
I'm assuming you have some facts to back this up? Because I don't expect you to make statements like that without having something to back it up.
I'm just curious to find these facts out. I must have missed the parts where Axl talked about that. I seriously can't remember, so I'm grateful if you can point it out to me where he said writing and recording are the hardest parts of an album's release.

Please, no smart ass response. Just the answer with the quotes from Axl please.
I know he talked about writers block in 2012. But I assume you have more than that. Because he didn't specifically say those were the hardest parts.

Thanks!  ok  Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3164 on: December 16, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »

We've been told time and again that this material is done.  Most of us roll with that. 

That's not even the debate.

If that's your deal, good for you.  But that conversation has been done to death and I'm completely uninterested in an umpteenth go round.

Let me bold the text for you:

when you consider its already written and recorded.  The hardest parts are over and done with, and have been.    

Where did you get your fact that the hardest parts are done? Regarding this particular album, where or who did you get the information that the writing and/or recording are the hardest parts?
I'm assuming you have some facts to back this up? Because I don't expect you to make statements like that without having something to back it up.
I'm just curious to find these facts out. I must have missed the parts where Axl talked about that. I seriously can't remember, so I'm grateful if you can point it out to me where he said writing and recording are the hardest parts of an album's release.

Please, no smart ass response. Just the answer with the quotes from Axl please.
I know he talked about writers block in 2012. But I assume you have more than that. Because he didn't specifically say those were the hardest parts.

Thanks!  ok  Smiley

/jarmo

Without trying to speak for anyone... I think it's quite clear by saying the hardest part is done...all that means is that the songs have been written and recorded.

Havent they? They have been available in the right corners of the internet world for many years now.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3165 on: December 16, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »

Can Axl really call this an album, if he releases just a bunch of unreleased material.  Really it is more like a collection of music, than an album.  Most bands sit down and write songs and thn put a album out.  They dont pick through hours of already recorded stuff, put it together and call that an album.  How will the next album have any continuity?  The only way I see any continuity is by calling it one giant chinease democracy album.   

Should we change the topic of this thread?  Roll Eyes

Most bands don't record couple of albums worth of material at once.... So they don't have the luxury of going back to almost finished songs that could fill an album.
First we had all those comments about how it's never coming out, it came out. Then it was about how one album could take so long. Now we know there's more than one album. Now it's about how those songs don't fit the idea of how an album is made? What's next? Cheesy

Without trying to speak for anyone... I think it's quite clear by saying the hardest part is done...all that means is that the songs have been written and recorded.

Havent they? They have been available in the right corners of the internet world for many years now.

I understand the part about songs being written and recorded. I'm just curious about WHY it's the hardest part?
There's gotta be something that backs up this statement. That's all I'm asking for. Because I wouldn't state that unless I knew that's the hardest part. I never wrote, recorded or released any music. So I really don't know.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3166 on: December 16, 2014, 03:02:51 PM »

Where did you get your fact that the hardest parts are done?

Its not a fact.  Its my opinion.

You are the one that decided to label it a fact so you could then rail against it.  I'm done with that routine.  Told you that last week.

In my opinion, the writing and recording are the hardest parts, and they are done.  I don't see picking from a list of songs some Herculean task that takes literally years to get done.

If you don't like that opinion, too fucking bad.  You also of course are under no compulsion to share if you don't like.  No one is forcing you to do anything.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3167 on: December 16, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »

Well, it appears one can understand my posts.  So long as the goal is not to twist them around to set up yet another haughty lecture.

Good to know.  Thanks, JAEBALL.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3168 on: December 16, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »

In my opinion, the writing and recording are the hardest parts, and they are done.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Why is that your opinion? You didn't read those interviews where Axl talked about the other issues?

I don't see picking from a list of songs some Herculean task that takes literally years to get done.

If you don't like that opinion, too fucking bad.  You also of course are under no compulsion to share if you don't like.  No one is forcing you to do anything.

Isn't that somewhat ignorant to think that the only thing needed to release music is to write, record and pick the songs?
Even one song, you could have many different version or mixes to pick from.
What about picking an album title? Artwork? Decisions to include lyrics or not? The order of the songs? The song titles themselves, maybe they need to be adjusted (reference: The Blues -> Street Of Dreams)? Who gets to mix and master? What formats it should be out on? Oh, and deal with the record company about releasing it.

It appears you want to portray yourself as an expert, but you have a somewhat simplistic and naive view on things.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:09:38 PM by jarmo » Logged

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3169 on: December 16, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »

Can Axl really call this an album, if he releases just a bunch of unreleased material.  Really it is more like a collection of music, than an album.  Most bands sit down and write songs and thn put a album out.  They dont pick through hours of already recorded stuff, put it together and call that an album.  How will the next album have any continuity?  The only way I see any continuity is by calling it one giant chinease democracy album.   

Most bands don't record couple of albums worth of material at once.... So they don't have the luxury of going back to almost finished songs that could fill an album.
First we had all those comments about how it's never coming out, it came out. Then it was about how one album could take so long. Now we know there's more than one album. Now it's about how those songs don't fit the idea of how an album is made? What's next? Cheesy

I understand the part about songs being written and recorded. I'm just curious about WHY it's the hardest part?
There's gotta be something that backs up this statement. That's all I'm asking for. Because I wouldn't state that unless I knew that's the hardest part. I never wrote, recorded or released any music. So I really don't know.

/jarmo

It is an extremely unique situation that the majority of these songs are going to feature band members gone over a decade...so Jarmo you must understand people are going to scratch their head at that...

Most of us made our peace with it...and I welcome hearing those songs but you have to see why people just don't get it..

as far as to WHY the hardest part is the writing or recording... like you, I have never done it.. I have zero musical ability in any way... it just appears to be common sense that it would be the hardest part

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3170 on: December 16, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »

I just assumed most people here knew the deal. But it's still being brought up as something new.

it just appears to be common sense that it would be the hardest part

But in this case, we know there were other issues. It's the old "other bands" syndrome. Forget what you know because other bands _______ (fill in words).
I don't know what the hardest parts have been for GN'R. I can't make a countdown of Top 10 hardest things. I assume the business side would be on there along with finding the right people to work with....

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3171 on: December 16, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »

In my opinion, the writing and recording are the hardest parts, and they are done.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Why is that your opinion? You didn't read those interviews where Axl talked about the other issues?

I personally see no plausible argument that the writing and recording of the material is not the hardest part of creating an album.

Its certainly secondary to...

Isn't that somewhat ignorant to think that the only thing needed to release music is to write, record and pick the songs?
Even one song, you could have many different version or mixes to pick from.
What about picking an album title? Artwork? Decisions to include lyrics or not? The order of the songs? The song titles themselves, maybe they need to be adjusted (reference: The Blues -> Street Of Dreams)? Who gets to mix and master? What formats it should be out on? Oh, and deal with the record company about releasing it.

...anything on this list.

That's my opinion.  If you don't like it, oh well.

It appears you want to portray yourself as an expert, but you have a somewhat simplistic and naive view on things.

No, that's your deal.  

You claim that is what I'm saying so you can get back on the soapbox because I get under your skin.  I'm living rent free in your head, and I never even asked the realtor to show me the place.

I ignored you all last week, ace.  And it was to spare the board this fucking nonsense every god damn day.  Sure didn't stop you from repeatedly trying to get my attention though, by referencing things I said.  Either in the big picture sense, or something I said 20 minutes prior.

Today, you decided to start responding to me directly, and yes, I bit.  But nothing has changed, it seems.  Which is unfortunate.

You want to talk about the band, great.  Join the rest of us.  I did it all last week, both day and night, without one hiccup once I cut you out of the equation.  It was rather productive.

But I'm not going to do a daily back and forth about how much you dislike me.  This is a board about Guns N' Roses.  This folder is not titled "DX, That Guy That Irks Me".

If that is your only way to interact with me, save yourself the typing.  Because I'm not doing it.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3172 on: December 16, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »

It is an extremely unique situation that the majority of these songs are going to feature band members gone over a decade...so Jarmo you must understand people are going to scratch their head at that...

Most of us made our peace with it...and I welcome hearing those songs but you have to see why people just don't get it..

Makes promoting a bit unique.

How much light can DJ shed on a Bucket song?  He never even worked with the guy.  Hell, has he ever even met the guy?  I have no idea.

as far as to WHY the hardest part is the writing or recording... like you, I have never done it.. I have zero musical ability in any way... it just appears to be common sense that it would be the hardest part

I'd think so.  If you were doing this by making a list, how is the creation of the material not #1 on that list?

Is there some scenario where an artist would tell you that the writing and recording is a breeze, and nothing like the hell that is the tracklist or deciding on artwork?  Those things are part of it, but secondary, in my opinion.  And I'd think the opinion of most.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3173 on: December 16, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »

/jarmo

Ya I am not saying its a bad thing, I am just saying its very weird to call it an album...  Just an opinion.  We have to see what we get

I think the hardest parts to making a album would be the writting of the music.  Everything else anyone can do.  You go to school, you learn how to be a tech, make album art work, be a lawyer, etc..  You dont go to school to learn to write music,  Its something hardley anyone can do, so its the hardest part
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3174 on: December 16, 2014, 03:45:24 PM »

I think the hardest parts to making a album would be the writting of the music.  Everything else anyone can do.  You go to school, you learn how to be a tech, make album art work, be a lawyer, etc..  You dont go to school to learn to write music,  Its something hardley anyone can do, so its the hardest part

Makes sense to me.

McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #3175 on: December 16, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »

Makes sense to me.

I produce music
As well as advertisements...
Mixing is an art.

Choosing each level
And levels within each track
All for each version.

Might be eight choices
Of a single commercial
With various moods

Client must choose from.
Verbage and voice recording
Are the easy parts.

Creating product
With all features done just right
Cannot be just taught.

After recording
Choosing music and effects
Is where work begins.

Splash

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3176 on: December 16, 2014, 05:13:18 PM »

Makes sense to me.

I produce music
Mixing is an art.

Choosing each level
All for each version.

Might be eight choices
Of a single commercial
With various moods

Client must choose from.
Are the easy parts.

Creating product
Cannot be just taught.

After recording
Is where work begins.

Splash

/Mike
I would refer to producing as a an art.
I would refer to mixing, as a skill
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3177 on: December 16, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »

I personally see no plausible argument that the writing and recording of the material is not the hardest part of creating an album.

So now we are talking about creating an album, not releasing it. Fair enough.
You were saying that in your opinion, the hardest part of CREATING an album is done once it's recorded. Yeah, I'd say that would be common sense.

In my defense, it's a little bit hard to understand that you're only talking about the creation part considering the release is mentioned in the same breath:

I see no conceivable scenario in a rational world that if you tell us in Spring 2014 you are "going to take a look at things in that regard", that you could make it all the way to 2016 with no progress.  I would find hard to believe you couldn't write, record, and release something in that time, if you are serious.  Its strains credulity to the absolute breaking point when you consider its already written and recorded.  The hardest parts are over and done with, and have been.   

In the quote, you mention releasing. Now you're saying creating. It's important to be sure we know that you're talking about creating and not releasing.

My mistake, I thought the whole discussion was about when we can expect the new album to be released. The whole process from writing to the actual release. But here we are, talking about the creation of the album, not what comes after. Or maybe that's just you trying avoid this discussion....

My point was that the releasing part could also be difficult. But I'm sure you knew that.  ok

You claim that is what I'm saying so you can get back on the soapbox because I get under your skin.

Funny, considering you don't get under my skin. Do I need to remind you that you're just a name on a computer screen? One who thinks highly of himself, but still, only a name.
You're just a name on a screen who posts a lot of bullshit I don't agree with. That's it. Smiley

If that is your only way to interact with me, save yourself the typing.  Because I'm not doing it.

The crusader of discussion does not want to discuss. Ironic.  Smiley

Just to be clear, I don't agree with you. So I say so. You made a comment that writing and recording are the hardest parts in getting an album out, I pointed out that it might not always be the case. Just an assumption by yourself to have yet another thing to add to your list of grievances. Instead of a clarification and a discussion, you get defensive. Again.

Ya I am not saying its a bad thing, I am just saying its very weird to call it an album...  Just an opinion.  We have to see what we get

Same thing happened with Chinese Democracy. It's hardly anything new.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:47:54 PM by jarmo » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3178 on: December 16, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »

I produce music
Mixing is an art.

Choosing each level
All for each version.

Might be eight choices
Of a single commercial
With various moods

Client must choose from.
Are the easy parts.

Creating product
Cannot be just taught.

After recording
Is where work begins.

Splash

/Mike

Hahaha

This is commitment to a bit, my friend.  Well done.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3179 on: December 16, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

In my defense, it's a little bit hard to understand that you're only talking about the creation part considering the release is mentioned in the same breath:

I see no conceivable scenario in a rational world that if you tell us in Spring 2014 you are "going to take a look at things in that regard", that you could make it all the way to 2016 with no progress.  I would find hard to believe you couldn't write, record, and release something in that time, if you are serious.  Its strains credulity to the absolute breaking point when you consider its already written and recorded.  The hardest parts are over and done with, and have been.   

In the quote, you mention releasing. Now you're saying creating. It's important to be sure we know that you're talking about creating and not releasing.

My mistake, I thought the whole discussion was about when we can expect the new album to be released. The whole process from writing to the actual release. But here we are, talking about the creation of the album, not what comes after. Or maybe that's just you trying avoid this discussion....

My point was that the releasing part could also be difficult. But I'm sure you knew that.  ok

Alright, fair enough.  We'll go with honest mistake.

If you took the time Axl gave that interview about a new album, I would say, from that point, he's pretty much already on third base.

SWING THE BAT, AXL!  SACRIFICE FLY SCORES THE RUN!!

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: