Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:46:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1597363 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2920 on: December 09, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »

I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan.   Yet I have never heard any remix of better or any other song.  Nor want to unless it's released as an album. Is your argument that people that have sought out downloads of remixs would not purchase a remix album release?   A few pages back you used the argument that with the demo leaks of CD that you said anyone who downloaded those leaks probably bought the album.  Why wouldn't that apply with the remixs.

Because the leaks were new songs.  Its exciting.  A remix of a song I already have, just with a differnet backing track?  Not the same level of excitement.

Have you ever heard somone that bought CD not liking it   I havnt.

I do not personally know one other human being that bought that thing.

I played it for a shit ton of people.  Did not spur anyone into picking it up.  And really, only had a small handful that asked me to burn them a song or two.

The overwhelming reactions I got were "this doesn't sound like GNR" (applicable to every single song except 'Street Of Dreams' and 'IRS') and "Axl barely even sounds like Axl" (applicable to songs like 'Madagascar' and 'Prostitute').

Couple of things.  

So if Guns released a new album tomorrow and if was a remix album would you buy it.  Yes or no?

Also it sounds like you are from the United states.  I am saying this because of what you said the response you had when playing CD to friends and also not knowing anyone who bought it.   I would say that the American fan base is not Guns current greatest fan base.   In fact, it's one of there weakest.

In Canada CD was a number 1 record   I know many people that bought it.  It was a big hit here.  It was a big hit in Europe Asia and in South America.    These countries are guns current demo.  These countries are the ones that will support any release from the band.   These countries will be the ones selling out arenas and attending huge heading lineing concerts the band.   These are the hard core fans these are the true fans

Quite frankly I couldn't careless what sells in the United states.   The general "needy" nature of American fans blows me away.  But I stick to what I said.  The majority of people that bought CD will buy a remix record.   That includes Americans.   Where say CD truely only sold around 500000 in the USA, if you forget that best buy deal.   Out of those 500000 copies sold I am sure that is pretty much Guns hard core American fan base and a large if not all percentage of them will buy a remix.  

Your obvious bias and distaste for all things America aside, you're missing the point completely, and like it or not he's not incorrect.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2921 on: December 09, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »

I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan.   Yet I have never heard any remix of better or any other song.  Nor want to unless it's released as an album. Is your argument that people that have sought out downloads of remixs would not purchase a remix album release?   A few pages back you used the argument that with the demo leaks of CD that you said anyone who downloaded those leaks probably bought the album.  Why wouldn't that apply with the remixs.

Because the leaks were new songs.  Its exciting.  A remix of a song I already have, just with a differnet backing track?  Not the same level of excitement.

Have you ever heard somone that bought CD not liking it   I havnt.

I do not personally know one other human being that bought that thing.

I played it for a shit ton of people.  Did not spur anyone into picking it up.  And really, only had a small handful that asked me to burn them a song or two.

The overwhelming reactions I got were "this doesn't sound like GNR" (applicable to every single song except 'Street Of Dreams' and 'IRS') and "Axl barely even sounds like Axl" (applicable to songs like 'Madagascar' and 'Prostitute').

Couple of things.  

So if Guns released a new album tomorrow and if was a remix album would you buy it.  Yes or no?

Also it sounds like you are from the United states.  I am saying this because of what you said the response you had when playing CD to friends and also not knowing anyone who bought it.   I would say that the American fan base is not Guns current greatest fan base.   In fact, it's one of there weakest.

In Canada CD was a number 1 record   I know many people that bought it.  It was a big hit here.  It was a big hit in Europe Asia and in South America.    These countries are guns current demo.  These countries are the ones that will support any release from the band.   These countries will be the ones selling out arenas and attending huge heading lineing concerts the band.   These are the hard core fans these are the true fans

Quite frankly I couldn't careless what sells in the United states.   The general "needy" nature of American fans blows me away.  But I stick to what I said.  The majority of people that bought CD will buy a remix record.   That includes Americans.   Where say CD truely only sold around 500000 in the USA, if you forget that best buy deal.   Out of those 500000 copies sold I am sure that is pretty much Guns hard core American fan base and a large if not all percentage of them will buy a remix.  

Your obvious bias and distaste for all things America aside, you're missing the point completely, and like it or not he's not incorrect.

I actually like quite a few this that you would consider American    And as much as I appricate the fact that you consider one persons opinion right over another persons opinion, I will still have to disagree

The argument that is being made is that what few fans in the United states that bought CD would some how not buy a remix album.  My argument is that the fan base in the states is so small right now that of coarse the same amount of people that bought CD will buy the remix as I see all the people that bought CD in the United states as the hard core American fan base, as small as it is....   

Or they won't buy it and it will sell even less than CD in the usa, if that is even possible
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2922 on: December 09, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »

Why not on its own?

A bonus with another album wouldn't make 100% sense. Since they aren't remixes of those songs. Unless it's some kind of reissue of Chinese Democracy....

/jarmo

Yes, I'm talking about a reissue of a Chinese remix along with another album.  I think a reissue of Chinese (remix) along with a release date for a new album of new material could work great.  Example, Chinese reissue comes out a couple months before a brand new album. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:39:40 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2923 on: December 09, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »

Why not on its own?

A bonus with another album wouldn't make 100% sense. Since they aren't remixes of those songs. Unless it's some kind of reissue of Chinese Democracy....

/jarmo

Honestly? Because i don't think theres enough of a market for it. And i think a relatively poor selling remix album would be worse for everyone involved. But thats just me.

As for "making sense"...meh. I've seen eps included ( some with previous tracks, remixed,like with evanescence) and even gh albums (def leppard with x) as part of deluxe packages. I dont think a remix album strays so far afield from those things to be completely crazy/out of the blue.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2924 on: December 09, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »

After 20 years and only one album... the next release being just a remix of the aforementioned record would be a big disappointment to me.

I would buy it... I'm sure I wouldn't dislike it... but again.. that would be disappointing to me.

Well you could decide not to buy it until after the other album was out if that'd make you happier!  ok hihi
Problem solved.  Wink

Your point is exactly why I don't see the "We need a new album" brigade's tired complaints as something to pay attention to. Because everybody knows there's a BUT that they never talk about.

As for "making sense"...meh. I've seen eps included ( some with previous tracks, remixed,like with evanescence) and even gh albums (def leppard with x) as part of deluxe packages. I dont think a remix album strays so far afield from those things to be completely crazy/out of the blue.

Thinking about it... In another way it would make sense. If the new album is indeed the second half of Chinese Democracy.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2925 on: December 09, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »

After 20 years and only one album... the next release being just a remix of the aforementioned record would be a big disappointment to me.

I would buy it... I'm sure I wouldn't dislike it... but again.. that would be disappointing to me.

Well you could decide not to buy it until after the other album was out if that'd make you happier!  ok hihi
Problem solved.  Wink

Your point is exactly why I don't see the "We need a new album" brigade's tired complaints as something to pay attention to. Because everybody knows there's a BUT that they never talk about.

Thinking about it... In another way it would make sense. If the new album is indeed the second half of Chinese Democracy.

/jarmo

Yeah, thats a good point.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2926 on: December 09, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »

I just want to point something out in relation to sales figures for cd.

Last time i checked...which was admittedly awhile ago, cd had sold roughly 700k copies in the u.s (thats sell through...there were over a million copies shipped). No other single coutries recording association reported as many sales. Total global sales was around 3 million.

You can argue thats low, per capita...but it was still the largest single "country" market.

You can argue back and forth about what the adoption rate of a remix album might be, but lets not minimize what the us market ultimately means to an album.

Together again,
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2927 on: December 09, 2014, 05:15:53 PM »

Why are the sales of a remix album an issue?

It's that serious? What happened to fun? Something different?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2928 on: December 09, 2014, 05:24:33 PM »

/jarmo

I agree.  The fact that some people would be "mad" or disappointed with a remix release blows my mind.    I don't think the release of a remix album would in anyway affect the relase of new music and would be cool to have

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2929 on: December 09, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »

/jarmo

Because, as much as we dont want it to be, the labels main motivation is $$$. And a poor selling album is just one more thing you have to "overcome" in negotiating the release of new stuff.

Id just rather not see another potential stumbling block potentially put in front of them.

From a fan perspective....it just doesn't excite me. I mean...id prolly buy it.  But i find it..meh. Ymmv, and thats fine.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2930 on: December 09, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »

/jarmo

I agree.  The fact that some people would be "mad" or disappointed with a remix release blows my mind.    I don't think the release of a remix album would in anyway affect the relase of new music and would be cool to have

To be clear..l wouldn't be mad. Id only be disappointed in relation to comparing it to new music. Id peg my reaction more toward ambivalence...with my primary reason to purchase it....much like with SI...attributed to my burning need to be a completionist collector.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2931 on: December 09, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »

Couple of things.  

Would I?  Yes.

But despite the insane ramblings to the contrary of a few outliers, I am a monster diehard insane level fan.  I am not the barometer here.

The barometer here is the 3 million or whatever people that bought CD.  That was your argument, right?  Well, 3 million or whatever people are not buying a remix album.  Some of that 3 million bought their last GNR product on 11/23/08.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2932 on: December 09, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »

I just want to point something out in relation to sales figures for cd.

Last time i checked...which was admittedly awhile ago, cd had sold roughly 700k copies in the u.s (thats sell through...there were over a million copies shipped). No other single coutries recording association reported as many sales. Total global sales was around 3 million.

You can argue thats low, per capita...but it was still the largest single "country" market.

You can argue back and forth about what the adoption rate of a remix album might be, but lets not minimize what the us market ultimately means to an album.

Good points, all around. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2933 on: December 09, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »

To be clear..l wouldn't be mad. Id only be disappointed in relation to comparing it to new music. Id peg my reaction more toward ambivalence...with my primary reason to purchase it....much like with SI...attributed to my burning need to be a completionist collector.

I'd be in the same camp.  I assume anyone still coming here every day is in that camp.

But your point about ambivalence rings true, I think.  How is it not deflating?

Hey, my favorite band took 10 years to put on one 14 track album.  Then, given 7 more years...they remixed that album.  Woo-hoo!  BIG THINGS AHEAD, PEOPLE

If we have to live in a world where that is considered progress, because progress is defined as literally anything that is better than nothing...our world is a sad place.  I tend to have higher bars in life.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2934 on: December 09, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »

I'd be in the same camp.  I assume anyone still coming here every day is in that camp.

But your point about ambivalence rings true, I think.  How is it not deflating?

Hey, my favorite band took 10 years to put on one 14 track album.  Then, given 7 more years...they remixed that album.  Woo-hoo!  BIG THINGS AHEAD, PEOPLE

If we have to live in a world where that is considered progress, because progress is defined as literally anything that is better than nothing...our world is a sad place.  I tend to have higher bars in life.

Well said.

Would I buy it?  Sure I would.  But I'd also likely buy an album titled "Axl Rose Sings Irish Folk Songs".  Doesn't mean it's a good next step for GNR.  But like I said earlier, they're in the studio, and Axl wants to put out the second half of Chinese.  We're in a good place.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2935 on: December 09, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »

Yeah, despite the talk of it, I don't seriously think the remix album is a thing that happens. 

It just never ceases to bum me out how willing we are to lower our expectations as a fanbase.  I can't fathom spending the past week talking about a new album, and being excited about it, and then trying to convince myself a remix album is fine too.

A flaming bag of dog poop is still a flaming bag of dog poop.  It doesn't appreciate in value simply because Axl Rose handed it to me.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2936 on: December 09, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »

Because, as much as we dont want it to be, the labels main motivation is $$$. And a poor selling album is just one more thing you have to "overcome" in negotiating the release of new stuff.

Of course.
But I think most would only see that album as a fun bonus. Considering it's already mostly done. They probably won't spend money promoting it...

It's not gonna make the supportive clique who were reminding us of how often GN'R cancels shows before the latest Las Vegas run or who claim to know how business works, happier... But that's not even the point.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:07:00 PM by jarmo » Logged

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2937 on: December 09, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »

Of course.
But I think most would only see that album as a fun bonus. Considering it's already mostly done. They probably won't spend money promoting it...

/jarmo

Exactly, and to me, this is the best case scenario, meaning releasing it as a bonus - whether it be on a re-issue of Chinese or for the next album.  I mentioned that putting this out on a special CD edition might be cool, and a fun way to boost sales of the physical copies to boot, while also focusing on the digital release of the album.  Lotsa possibilities.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2938 on: December 09, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »

Exactly, and to me, this is the best case scenario, meaning releasing it as a bonus - whether it be on a re-issue of Chinese or for the next album.  I mentioned that putting this out on a special CD edition might be cool, and a fun way to boost sales of the physical copies to boot, while also focusing on the digital release of the album.  Lotsa possibilities.

Yeah, you issue a special edition / collector's edition / weirdo completist version.  Whatever you want to call it.

Its just not going to be for everybody.  If we here were given the chance of a single disc album versus a 2 CD version with the album and other stuff, yes, we here are taking that.  But you are into hardcore fans only at that point.

If you put out just the remix as a standalone, few care.  I don't know the number, but its low.  And its certainly has to be less than the number that would buy a new album.  That's just math.

It would be an odd business move, to say the least.  The time for a standalone has passed.  Did Trent Reznor release 'Further Down The Spiral' 7 years later?  Of course not.  It was out the next year.

But, just to be clear, I don't think this remix thing even happens.   

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2939 on: December 09, 2014, 07:03:28 PM »

Exactly, and to me, this is the best case scenario, meaning releasing it as a bonus - whether it be on a re-issue of Chinese or for the next album.

Bonus, as in more released stuff.
Imagine, you get remixes AND a new album with songs we haven't heard. Two new releases to spend your cash on and listen.... Horrible right?

Only certain GN'R fans would now start whining about it before it's even out.
Did Live Era upset those fans? How about "The Spagetti Incident?"?

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: