Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 11:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228089 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1589061 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2860 on: December 09, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »

Most bands who get to a certain level function that way.

There might be differences in how the business side operates, but other than that, it's similar. Aerosmith doesn't all live in a house together and practice in the garage.... Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2861 on: December 09, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »

Yeah, but so what?  There is no innate crime in speculation.  And most of what you've said is interesting.

No, it's not really meant as an apology.  More as a qualification.  I don't want anyone reading here to think I either have inside information, or that I'm speaking from any sort of position of authority.  It's interesting discussion points....but I don't want it taken as anything other than what it is: My overactive brain creating a "what if" narrative. I know YOU won't, and there are lots of regulars who will know that too...but I just want to make it clear.  You'll notice I do that a lot. Wink

That's all.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2862 on: December 09, 2014, 11:07:02 AM »

Most bands who get to a certain level function that way.

There might be differences in how the business side operates, but other than that, it's similar. Aerosmith doesn't all live in a house together and practice in the garage.... Wink

/jarmo

I was actually going to use them as an example. Smiley

There are other, high profile, examples, too....some of them pre-packaged label "bands".  Some of them are long standing entities that have been through all the phases of "band-om".

They're not all Metallica, who attend "couples therapy" together....

Together again,
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2863 on: December 09, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »

That's interesting.  You might be onto something here.

Many have said that this is so unlike a real band in so many ways.  One of those ways is that the band seems like a job.  And maybe that is part of it.  Its not the "we're all blood brothers" type of a thing.  Its just a job.  They are co-workers, not besties.

I think there are relationships between the OTHER members....and I think, specifically, there are relationships between the other members and Tommy. And I suspect a strong friendship between Tommy and Axl. In my fantasy world, Axl is the Don, and Tommy is the consigliere.

But I think maybe that Axl sort of puts up some walls to protect him from getting "hurt" like he was with the original membership. 

I wouldn't qualify it as "just a job", either, though. I think it's a creative collaboration. I think they do bond...but over the music, not over personal connections. And....that's not as unusual as some people think it is. Maybe it's not as widely talked about with those bands..but there are plenty of bands where the whole group isn't besties.

Again, I'm so totally theorycrafting here, it's remarkable.

I think there's a creative relationship between Pitman and Axl as well. I remember reading about them sitting in the studio creating music together, specifically Madagascar. This could perhaps relate more so to the early days of the new band though, I don't know.

We know Axl took interest to bringing in electronic elements to the music, and Chris must have been a natural collaborator for Axl in that respect.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2864 on: December 09, 2014, 11:10:39 AM »

Seems like some fans (of any band) have this glorified idea of what a band really is. But as soon as they make some money, it basically becomes "work".
Might not be their main job, but you have to start thinking about money and business things.

I think there's a creative relationship between Pitman and Axl as well. I remember reading about them sitting in the studio creating music together, specifically Madagascar. This could perhaps relate more so to the early days of the new band though, I don't know.

We know Axl took interest to bringing in electronic elements to the music, and Chris must have been a natural collaborator for Axl in that respect.

Not only him. The whole band. Look at the writing credits on Chinese Democracy.
That's a group effort. Not somebody making a solo record and then not crediting others.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2865 on: December 09, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »

I think there's "creative relationships" between all of them, really.  It's the personal, lets sit down and have some beers and play a game of "Cards Against Humanity" and swap stories kinda relationships that I think Axl might sort of...be careful with.  I honestly think he protects himself from that kind of closeness.  He has an inner circle (Beta's clan) that he trusts and confides in.  I think those are his real personal, bestie, "closeness" outlet...and I think that's taken a LONG time to build up.  I think he's careful with developing those personal relationships.....for precisely the reasons I laid out.

I don't KNOW it to be true, but I can tell you that, given his level of "hurt" coming out of the old incarnation of GnR....it would completely make sense that he took it as a life lesson to keep his guard up, a bit.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2866 on: December 09, 2014, 11:19:29 AM »

I think there's "creative relationships" between all of them, really.  It's the personal, lets sit down and have some beers and play a game of "Cards Against Humanity" and swap stories kinda relationships that I think Axl might sort of...be careful with.  I honestly think he protects himself from that kind of closeness.  He has an inner circle (Beta's clan) that he trusts and confides in.  I think those are his real personal, bestie, "closeness" outlet...and I think that's taken a LONG time to build up.  I think he's careful with developing those personal relationships.....for precisely the reasons I laid out.

I don't KNOW it to be true, but I can tell you that, given his level of "hurt" coming out of the old incarnation of GnR....it would completely make sense that he took it as a life lesson to keep his guard up, a bit.

And that might all be true.

But has surrounding himself with "Beta's clan" and little else in terms of a support structure been a net positive or net negative?  Don't you at least occasionally have to hear some dissent in your life?  Which is unlikely to come from people who's lives you bankroll, I would think.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2867 on: December 09, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »

Seems like some fans (of any band) have this glorified idea of what a band really is. But as soon as they make some money, it basically becomes "work".
Might not be their main job, but you have to start thinking about money and business things.

Not only him. The whole band. Look at the writing credits on Chinese Democracy.
That's a group effort. Not somebody making a solo record and then not crediting others.

/jarmo

What I meant was (without knowing of course) that Axl maybe leaned more on Pitman in that process, and maybe had a closer relationship with him in regards to creating music. With Robin and Bucket I would think that they produced a lot of riffs and ideas, while they pieced it together with Axl afterwards. With Pitman, I can see those two collaborating in creating a song from the ground up. That relationship probably has a lot with them both playing keys of course, and can more easily work on each other's ideas.

I'm not saying that Axl didn't work directly with the other members, but I just think the relationship and process working with Chris was a bit different.

Sweetness is a virtue
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2868 on: December 09, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »

But has surrounding himself with "Beta's clan" and little else in terms of a support structure been a net positive or net negative?  Don't you at least occasionally have to hear some dissent in your life?  Which is unlikely to come from people who's lives you bankroll, I would think.

IDK.  I can't even speculate or theorycraft, beause I don't even have a little bit of information on which to base it.  I know you' re not going to like it..but I literally have no opinion.

IF you supposition is correct, and they are very much "yes men", we've seen lots of other stars...big and small (Mariah Carey or Oprah, anyone) who operate in a very similar way.  It has worked, and not worked, depending on the person, and the people they surround themselves with.  I guess I'd go with that.

And your opinion of how well it's "worked" for Axl is largely going to depend on your outlook and opinion of the current band, it's productivity, etc.

Together again,
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2869 on: December 09, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »

With Pitman, I can see those two collaborating in creating a song from the ground up. That relationship probably has a lot with them both playing keys of course, and can more easily work on each other's ideas.

It's possible.

But you're forgetting that Axl does play guitar as well. Wink

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2870 on: December 09, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »

IDK.  I can't even speculate or theorycraft, beause I don't even have a little bit of information on which to base it.  I know you' re not going to like it..but I literally have no opinion.

Oh hey, I have no clue either.  I just think when you are the bank for a group of people, odds are that never is heard a discouraging word.

IF you supposition is correct, and they are very much "yes men", we've seen lots of other stars...big and small (Mariah Carey or Oprah, anyone) who operate in a very similar way.  It has worked, and not worked, depending on the person, and the people they surround themselves with.  I guess I'd go with that.

And your opinion of how well it's "worked" for Axl is largely going to depend on your outlook and opinion of the current band, it's productivity, etc.

Uh-oh...

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2871 on: December 09, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »

With Pitman, I can see those two collaborating in creating a song from the ground up. That relationship probably has a lot with them both playing keys of course, and can more easily work on each other's ideas.

It's possible.

But you're forgetting that Axl does play guitar as well. Wink

/jarmo

Yes he does. Maybe it discouraged him to push it further after trying to work on a Buckethead riff?  Wink

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2872 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »

Just to add.. The latest studio picture was posted by both Chris and Axl right? We can assume they're both in the same studio together now, right?

To pilferk: If you spend more time together with a person with anyone else for whatever reason, it could mean that you'll have a closer personal relationship with that person as well.

We also have the geographical issue, how many of the current line-up resides in LA?

Sweetness is a virtue
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2873 on: December 09, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »

Just to add.. The latest studio picture was posted by both Chris and Axl right? We can assume they're both in the same studio together now, right?

Yes, Chris posted it first and then Axl posted the same one.
That's the assumption many have made.

/jarmo

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2874 on: December 09, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »

To pilferk: If you spend more time together with a person with anyone else for whatever reason, it could mean that you'll have a closer personal relationship with that person as well.

We also have the geographical issue, how many of the current line-up resides in LA?

That's the assumption I'd make.  Something else to keep in mind: I'm pretty sure Pittman has some experience running a board....so it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he's "in on" some of the mixing and recording processes.

Normally I would agree with that bit about time..but that's what I mean in a lot of what I'm saying.  I think time, alone, isn't enough...and I think that's a conscious choice by Axl to sort of keep people at arms length.  Or maybe it's an unconscious defense mechanism...

In either case, I think he has done a LOT to sort of separate his creative collaborations from his personal relationships.   Not to the point where he treats all the guys like they're his lackeys or something...I don't think that (though I know others do).  But I don't think he's pouring his heart out, either.

Together again,
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2875 on: December 09, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »

In either case, I think he has done a LOT to sort of separate his creative collaborations from his personal relationships.   Not to the point where he treats all the guys like they're his lackeys or something...I don't think that (though I know others do).  But I don't think he's pouring his heart out, either.

I think you're right in what you're saying. It could be an age factor as well, as Axl himself said: "The Stones aren't out bowling every Tuesday night" (paraphrasing, but you get the idea).

Sweetness is a virtue
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #2876 on: December 09, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »

Yes, Chris posted it first and then Axl posted the same one.
That's the assumption many have made.

/jarmo

Is that the assumption you've made as well?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2877 on: December 09, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »

Axl retweeting Chris's pic isn't as ideal as Axl tweeting on of his own. 

But, I think it still shows work being done.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2878 on: December 09, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »

The picture combined with Richard's comment about Axl being in the studio makes it ideal I think.

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2879 on: December 09, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »

The picture combined with Richard's comment about Axl being in the studio makes it ideal I think.

I still consider Axl's retweet a commentary on what they are up to, even if its not from his phone, specifically.

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: