Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 05:13:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1607067 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2080 on: November 21, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »

It is an extra bit of promotion, and might even be a chance to produce something artistic or amusing, but a video is not essential.

I agree. But do you watch music videos?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2081 on: November 21, 2014, 02:23:09 PM »

It is an extra bit of promotion, and might even be a chance to produce something artistic or amusing, but a video is not essential.

Its something you could post on FB.  I'd be for it more than against, but agree its not essential these days.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2082 on: November 21, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »

Anyhow, the question remains. Would you rather have a proper announcement and then a release later, or a complete surprise where you basically find out by accident that the new album is out? Which do you prefer and why?

/jarmo

I would lean towards the old school announcement-promotion-release approach.  Promotion is not just hype but it is also information provided to a consumer to help them make a decision to buy or not buy a product.  The less people know of and about something, the less likely they'll buy it. 

That said, I get the surprise approach.  It's a gimmick that may create headlines, which gets you into the public consciousness, etc.  But it's also a risk.  Would be unfortunate to see 'New GNR album comes and goes without anyone noticing" type reports. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2083 on: November 21, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »

That said, I get the surprise approach.  It's a gimmick that may create headlines, which gets you into the public consciousness, etc.  But it's also a risk.  Would be unfortunate to see 'New GNR album comes and goes without anyone noticing" type reports. 

Bingo.

And then have to read how "the media" hates them.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2084 on: November 21, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »

Bingo.

And then have to read how "the media" hates them.

The media is full of people expecting favors and if that doesn't happen... Well...

I wonder if some "cool" band had done what U2 did, how the backlash would've been. But now it was U2. Pretty much the most uncool a rock band can be. And I like U2. But because of Bono and his outside projects, it's ok to take shots at U2.

So yes, part of the media loves Axl and GN'R, but parts are not gonna say anything nice about the band. No matter what they do. That's the way it is.

Maybe a combo would be the best of both worlds? A surprise single. Like "We got a new song, go buy it and the album will be out on XXXX"....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2085 on: November 21, 2014, 03:08:09 PM »

Or stream it through the official site like in the past?

/jarmo

Maybe that TOO, or maybe open it up as a freebie stream to everyone, and not just members.  And only if they have the infrastructure to support a huge demand.  They may..I'm just not sure.

I thought SiriusXM, or another freebie/popular service, for two reasons:

That gets the word out to the masses, and not just the more insular fans.

It lets someone else bear some of the costs, and the infrastructure burden.

Granted, Sirius is a subscription service.  But they still have big sub numbers AND their web service is pretty cheap (basically, the monthly "web only" sub is...or was last time I checked..pretty close to the cost of a Pay Per Listen stream) and it's infrastructure is pretty robust.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2086 on: November 21, 2014, 03:09:25 PM »

I didn't quite get the extent of the backlash with the U2 iTunes thing.  Granted, I would be annoyed if my iTunes got invaded with an album from a band whose music I thought sucked, like Bon Jovi (boom!), but it takes a second to delete.  Seemed a bit overdramatic to me.  

It was a LITTLE more "virus-y" (changed from viral because, you know, even though it's the right word...different meanings in different contexts) the first couple days...til they allowed uninstalling and deletion.  But..yeah..now it's easy to remove it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:14:34 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2087 on: November 21, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »

I thought SiriusXM, or another freebie/popular service, for two reasons:

That gets the word out to the masses, and not just the more insular fans.

It lets someone else bear some of the costs, and the infrastructure burden.

Is it available outside of the USA?

/jarmo

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2088 on: November 21, 2014, 03:20:53 PM »

I didn't quite get the extent of the backlash with the U2 iTunes thing.  Granted, I would be annoyed if my iTunes got invaded with an album from a band whose music I thought sucked, like Bon Jovi (boom!), but it takes a second to delete.  Seemed a bit overdramatic to me.  

It was a LITTLE more "viral" the first couple days...til they allowed uninstalling and deletion.  But..yeah..now it's easy to remove it.

Ah, that I did not know.  I'm an uncool fan of U2 (thanks Jarmo!) so I never made any attempt to delete it.  But, again, if it's an artist I just don't want any part of whatsoever, I'd have been disgusted during those first few days thinking it may be stuck in my library perpetually.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2089 on: November 21, 2014, 03:22:50 PM »

How do you think this hype could materialize?

An unannounced secret club show? A new single on iTunes out of the blue? An announcement of a new album's release?

/jarmo

I would kind like to combine all three of these methods, why focus on just one type.  Hell, why just use three.  I know they were just examples.   But here is what I would like to see.

Unannounced secret club show?..   Ya I really like this idea, BUT I would like to see it as mb a surprise gig on say mb Saturday Night Live (something they have never done) or mb a one off show on say The David Letterman Show, before he retires next year.  I have seen some great bands perform from that great Ed Sullivian theater.  Both of these would grab great attention from the main stream unwashed masses and give us fans something new.  MB Axl could perform in a comedy sketch or something on SNL!  I know I am pushing it there, but it would be gold!

Single on iTunes or album release date?..   Well I was just thinking mb a single song (or two) on a summer block buster movie.  It is something guns has done before very well and I can see it working out well for them again.  I think the hard part would be getting a director that would let Axl have an open spot on the soundtrack for any new song that Axl feels would fit the movie.  I am sure there is a lot of requests for the guns old stuff on soundtracks, but I would like to see something new put out there.  You could release the song as both a single and as a soundtrack album with liner notes etc...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2090 on: November 21, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »

Is it available outside of the USA?

/jarmo

Good point.

I KNOW it's available throughout North/Central America (US, Canada, Mexico, Panama, etc).

And you could find another broadcast partner in Europe and Asia. Worldspace and MobaHo! both offer web streaming, too (both sat radio providers), I think.  And those 3 have partnered for other "big stuff" before (with Sirius "hosting" the broadcast, but the other two broadcasting content).

Or you could just go with one big provider like Livestream!  Some big company, that will float some of the ducats to promote it and host it, and then bear the infrastructure for it. 

Edit: OK, looks like worldspace is dead. Maybe there isn't an EU provider anymore....anyone know?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:33:01 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #2091 on: November 21, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »

Maybe a combo would be the best of both worlds? A surprise single. Like "We got a new song, go buy it and the album will be out on XXXX"....

/jarmo

This is the perfect scenario I think.

You get the surprise element plus the hype/anticipation of an upcoming release.

Jarmo, do you think guns could reach for this eventuality?

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2092 on: November 21, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »

I don't know what the record company or band is thinking.

I think it's an interesting discussion because there's all kinds of possibilities. With pros and cons.
Unlike only a few years ago when it was CD and iTunes.

/jarmo

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2093 on: November 21, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »

The awards shows are coming up again right away.  I for one may be one of the only fans of the mtv awards they did 10 past years ago.   Now the sound may have been a little off.  But I still remember the buzz around it like it was yesterday.  I wasn't even watching the show live, but had an ex girlfriend actually call me up on my house phone and tell me what was about to happen.  Greatest thing she ever did!!!!  I remember switching the show over instantly and getting cold sweats as Fallon kept dropping hints.  Then we even got an Axl interview after the show!!!!   Forgot about the sound for a second and just remember the buzz it created at the time and how electric it seemed.

Guns has a long history of playing these award shows and I think it would be another great way to get out there and promote yourself again. 
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #2094 on: November 21, 2014, 04:21:08 PM »

How do you think this hype could materialize?

An unannounced secret club show? A new single on iTunes out of the blue? An announcement of a new album's release?

/jarmo

What sells GN'R is Axl himself, so the more effort he puts in, the more they will get out of any new release.

A new single on I Tunes out of the blue would be grand, but there has to be a video. There has to be a presence on TV, on the music channels, on Youtube etc. A visual presence is vital.

For the forums, a couple of club dates would be appreciated, with a preview of 2-3 new songs. Make it special that way You could arrange what we did a while back, obviously taking account other forums.

I am not sure Axl would come here again, but you could arrange a 20 question interview with questions from forum fans, possibly, or something of that nature.

All just ideas and thoughts.
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #2095 on: November 21, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »

Just thinking about this stuff gets me pumped for new music...can't wait

Hope by this time next year there's some concrete plans

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #2096 on: November 21, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »

I think a music video would be a good idea. I know music videos are not as popular nowadays but having one wouldn't hurt anything would it? I think it could do a lot for GNR's image if it was done right. In today's world image is more important than ever but the current image of GNR is for the most part unknown to people. A video could be a great official way to introduce members of the band to the masses and reinvent GNR's image in the public eye.

And yeah, I know what you mean Stardust. I have the feeling that something is going to happen very soon.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #2097 on: November 21, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »

If there isn't an official video, how are people going to share and discover the songs on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.?

Fans sharing the music on social media is free promotion and word-of-mouth is more valuable than industry hype.
People trust their friends tastes as filters more than they trust late-night talk show hosts.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:51:37 PM by GNR2014 » Logged
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2098 on: November 21, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »

I think a music video would be a good idea. I know music videos are not as popular nowadays but having one wouldn't hurt anything would it? I think it could do a lot for GNR's image if it was done right. In today's world image is more important than ever but the current image of GNR is for the most part unknown to people. A video could be a great official way to introduce members of the band to the masses and reinvent GNR's image in the public eye.

And yeah, I know what you mean Stardust. I have the feeling that something is going to happen very soon.

I think music videos are still very popular.  What has changed is that format in which you watch them.  Gone are the days of just having 20 channels on the tv with one of them being a 24hr music station.

I personally cant stand watching videos on a little computer screen.  Now with smart tvs and things like apple tv, on demand video viewing is netter than ever
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #2099 on: November 21, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »

If there isn't an official video, how are people going to share and discover the songs on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.?

Fans sharing the music on social media is free promotion and word-of-mouth is more valuable than industry hype.
People trust their friends tastes as filters more than they trust late-night talk show hosts.

Good insight! Yeah, not sure why there was no video last time. Better as a single with a good music video would have done a lot for the reception of CD, IMO.

Welcome to the site Baconman! Glad to see a new face!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:12:43 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: