Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1681656 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »

I can't fathom a band not wanting to create albums, unless their creative drive is totally tapped, or money is their primary motivation.
In that case, it probably wouldn't translate to good music anyway.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »

And hopefully Axl is still feeling as creative as the rest of the band  ok  I guess we'll see sometime after the Euro tour ends?

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »

Surely you need to promote a tour by having music that people want to hear. Not saying that the band doesn't have this going now, but apart from the hard core fans, are they going to be able to constantly tour with what is a Greatest hits plus tour, time and time again? 

In a way, part of the problem is that they have a huge set list that is well known so it means that you get a long show which is great, and yes I love the songs.  But would I trade 180 minutes of what I've heard several times now, for 90 minutes of a 45/45 minutes of new and selected old stuff, probably yes is the answer. Sometimes less is more...

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »

I can't fathom a band not wanting to create albums, unless their creative drive is totally tapped, or money is their primary motivation.

This actually happened to Billy Joel, who said he just lost the creative desire to write pop songs anymore, but I think Axl has a lot of material to work with, along with the stuff DJ came up with.

libertad
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2012, 11:52:36 PM »

This actually happened to Billy Joel, who said he just lost the creative desire to write pop songs anymore, but I think Axl has a lot of material to work with, along with the stuff DJ came up with.

That was also after 13 studio albums and 59 singles over a 20 year span, I can see him losing the desire to write new songs after that.

GNR are still babies as far as discography's go.  They only have 3 album releases in over 25 years.  4 if you want to count the "Illusions" as 2 album releases.   Plus an EP and cover album.  I highly doubt they are creatively tapped out, I think they are just getting started.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:58:59 PM by Bodhi » Logged
gunsnfnroses
Headliner

You're fucking crazy!

« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2012, 12:31:36 AM »

"The General
* (Co?-)written by Bryan Mantia.
* Axl: You may have heard parts of it somewhere.
* Orchestral arrangement by Marco Beltrami.
* GN'R twitter on which songs are used as intros at the concerts: "The General" is probably most played before CD.
* Baz: One of my favorite songs is this song called "the general" which is so, its by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard axl do, this slow grinding riff with these high peircing vocals, screaming vocals.
* Dizzy on what is one of his favourite tracks [from the Chinese Democracy sessions): Last year Brain had this song called 'The General' that was really cool.
* Brain: Yes I wrote the general! Not sure if bucket or robin are on it... It will have to be a surprise!!!"

Have we ever heard this with lyrics? MY FAVORITE INTRO btw

I'm a well-wisher, as in I don't wish you any specific harm
Uzi76
Headliner

Despite everything, all is beautiful

« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »

I drove a long way by myself to a gig and decided to listen to all of GNR's albums back to back. I hadn't listened to Chinese Democracy in a while and had never really heard all of the albums back to back. As you listen to them you see the growth album by album. But after listening to Chinese Democracy I got the sense that something was lacking. After listening it for a second time I concluded that what's missing is the attitude. Not in the lyrics but the music. The music on the first 4 albums sounded mean and nasty. Thats what drew me to there music in the first place. At the time it didnt sound like anything else out there. The music reflected the swagger and attitude of the band. I mean even the drums in Its so easy sound mean. I feel that that was missing on CD. It sounds Overproduced ( when you have a bunch of different producers working on the album in a 10 year period it will happen). I feel like with a new album the band has to go into the studio and capture that chemistry they have on stage and just release the album quickly. Dont record, let it sit around, tinker with it, fine tune it again and then release it. Trust yourselves. You have a great band. DJ's a good songwriter and seems to have a certain swagger. Take advantage and create something great.

I agree with you about the music not sounding as mean or nasty as the early stuff, but I took that as a positive because to me it reflected emotional growth and maturity.  After a certain age, the bad-ass attitude pose comes off a bit ridiculous, so I appreciated that the album had a sound that revealed some vulnerability.  But what was consistent from the old days was the honesty. 

I agree. Musicians evolve, singers evolve and so will the music. Back when they recorded Appetite and the Illusions all the members of GnR (and it does not matter who was in it back then or who  is in it now) were in their twenties. When CD was recorded everyone was in their thirties/forties. You can't compare how a 20 year old looks at the world to how a guy in his 40ties looks at the world. Or you'll get guys like Marilyn Manson, an over 40 year old still acting like a puber just because he has nothing else to offer. Nothing is more ridiculous than that.

I am very happy with the evolution of the band. The attidue on CD is not the same as on Appetite, simply because the attitude has changed, but that does not mean at all GnR didn't stay true to themselves. It is still the band that does not take shit from anyone and I think CD and how it was released is more than an example of that.

Your speaking as thought its the same band as the appetite and Illusions era. My issue on my original post wasnt with the lyrics. The lyrics display the attitude that made me fall in love with the band in first place. Axl Rose will never be the happy song type and I love it. What I felt was lacking was attitude on the music. It wasnt there. Maybe because of overproduction or maybe because in reality it isnt the same band. They evolved from Appetite to Illusions but maintained the attitude in there music. Even the balads seemed dark.

It doesn't matter if it is the same band or not, that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about age. The age and experience of the band members is different now compared to the the age and experience of the band members in the appetite/illusion era. That's why the attitude is different on lyrics AND on the music. Of course the 'new' band members have put their own influence on the music, but I can still hear the GnR spirit on CD. So maybe we can put it this way, the attitude has changed, but the spirit stayed the same.
I also think the balads on CD (Cather, TIL, Streets) still seem quite dark.

Remember in this game we call life that noone said it's fair.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »

I drove a long way by myself to a gig and decided to listen to all of GNR's albums back to back. I hadn't listened to Chinese Democracy in a while and had never really heard all of the albums back to back. As you listen to them you see the growth album by album. But after listening to Chinese Democracy I got the sense that something was lacking. After listening it for a second time I concluded that what's missing is the attitude. Not in the lyrics but the music. The music on the first 4 albums sounded mean and nasty. Thats what drew me to there music in the first place. At the time it didnt sound like anything else out there. The music reflected the swagger and attitude of the band. I mean even the drums in Its so easy sound mean. I feel that that was missing on CD. It sounds Overproduced ( when you have a bunch of different producers working on the album in a 10 year period it will happen). I feel like with a new album the band has to go into the studio and capture that chemistry they have on stage and just release the album quickly. Dont record, let it sit around, tinker with it, fine tune it again and then release it. Trust yourselves. You have a great band. DJ's a good songwriter and seems to have a certain swagger. Take advantage and create something great.

I agree with you about the music not sounding as mean or nasty as the early stuff, but I took that as a positive because to me it reflected emotional growth and maturity.  After a certain age, the bad-ass attitude pose comes off a bit ridiculous, so I appreciated that the album had a sound that revealed some vulnerability.  But what was consistent from the old days was the honesty. 

I agree. Musicians evolve, singers evolve and so will the music. Back when they recorded Appetite and the Illusions all the members of GnR (and it does not matter who was in it back then or who  is in it now) were in their twenties. When CD was recorded everyone was in their thirties/forties. You can't compare how a 20 year old looks at the world to how a guy in his 40ties looks at the world. Or you'll get guys like Marilyn Manson, an over 40 year old still acting like a puber just because he has nothing else to offer. Nothing is more ridiculous than that.

I am very happy with the evolution of the band. The attidue on CD is not the same as on Appetite, simply because the attitude has changed, but that does not mean at all GnR didn't stay true to themselves. It is still the band that does not take shit from anyone and I think CD and how it was released is more than an example of that.

Your speaking as thought its the same band as the appetite and Illusions era. My issue on my original post wasnt with the lyrics. The lyrics display the attitude that made me fall in love with the band in first place. Axl Rose will never be the happy song type and I love it. What I felt was lacking was attitude on the music. It wasnt there. Maybe because of overproduction or maybe because in reality it isnt the same band. They evolved from Appetite to Illusions but maintained the attitude in there music. Even the balads seemed dark.

It doesn't matter if it is the same band or not, that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about age. The age and experience of the band members is different now compared to the the age and experience of the band members in the appetite/illusion era. That's why the attitude is different on lyrics AND on the music. Of course the 'new' band members have put their own influence on the music, but I can still hear the GnR spirit on CD. So maybe we can put it this way, the attitude has changed, but the spirit stayed the same.
I also think the balads on CD (Cather, TIL, Streets) still seem quite dark.
[/quote

Of course it matters whether its the same band or not. When your argument is about the "evolution" of the band. If you were speaking of Axl's song writing evoloving that would be one thing but you cant say the music has evolved over the years when its not the same band. I dont hear the "GNR spirit" on CD. But thats my opinion. In my opinion the album suffered through Overproduction. When you take that long to make an album and you continually tinker with the songs they lose the rawness. I think lyrically the ballads you mentioned seemed dark but the music didnt reflect it like the ones on the illusions albums did. That being said I just hope the new band goes in the studio and make a kick ass record and put it out. Personally I think they should abandon any old material and start from scratch. You have a kick ass band with great chemistry, lets see how that chemistry comes across in the studio. As a musician I would hate to add or play on songs that other musicians who are no longer in the band wrote. But then again thats just my opinion.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »

GNR are still babies as far as discography's go.  They only have 3 album releases in over 25 years.  4 if you want to count the "Illusions" as 2 album releases.   Plus an EP and cover album.  I highly doubt they are creatively tapped out, I think they are just getting started.

[/quote]

I would certainly hope they are not "tapped out" as a creative entitiy ...

as DJ as said himself... he cant wait to get in the studio with the band....partly because ....well he never has..... ha

so hopefully after the summer they give us what we all want... new tunes  peace

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »

New quote from Richard.. (Six minutes in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUA4uJw-MQg&feature=youtu.be

"I'm pretty much focused on GN'R right now. We're getting ready to get back in the studio, so that's where my head's at right now. That's all I wanna think about till the end of the year pretty much.."

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »

New quote from Richard.. (Six minutes in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUA4uJw-MQg&feature=youtu.be

"I'm pretty much focused on GN'R right now. We're getting ready to get back in the studio, so that's where my head's at right now. That's all I wanna think about till the end of the year pretty much.."
Good catch.  Nice to know that still seems to be the plan.  Hopefully a lot of progress is made with whatever studio time they put in.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »

Gotta give hitmanhart408 over at mygnr credit for finding the video Smiley

Anyways, the plan to hit the studio after the tour seems to be pretty solid. Combined with the quotes of them being in the studio last year as well, I hope we might see an album this year.

Sweetness is a virtue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »

GUNS N' ROSES: New Video Interview With RICHARD FORTUS - June 25, 2012

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175873

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »

GUNS N' ROSES: New Video Interview With RICHARD FORTUS - June 25, 2012

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175873

God knows why BM have to write all that drivel on his house - absolutely of no importance or interest to the music community.

Cool interview though and great news to see they're excited about getting back into the studio - hopefully as Richard said all in one room busting out some new songs 'the way rock n'roll should be'

Here today...ready to rock
hitmanhart408
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »

only thing I did was visit blabbermouth. If it wasn't me, it would have been someone else soon enough.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2012, 08:59:27 PM »

They had a lot of problems with the label the last time around, what makes them think it will be any different this time?

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2012, 11:58:48 PM »

They had a lot of problems with the label the last time around, what makes them think it will be any different this time?

Could be that all the issues were worked out prior to the release of Chinese Democracy.  Regarding upcoming releases or maybe they will cross that bridge when the time comes.  All I know is it's a great time to be a fan of GnR.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
cineater
Legend

« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »

Worked out prior to the release of CD?  And then we got a screwed up booklet, actually the wrong booklet, and no promotion from the label in the US.  You referring to that kind of worked out--lol

GNR have a bunch of music, they don't have label support. IMO

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2012, 01:51:57 AM »

Worked out prior to the release of CD?  And then we got a screwed up booklet, actually the wrong booklet, and no promotion from the label in the US.  You referring to that kind of worked out--lol

I think that had alot to do with Azoff as their manager at the time.  It's just a guess... I don't know.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2012, 07:55:48 AM »

Axl said in the TMS interview last year that they were trying to figure things out with the label. When Richard recently said they are planning to go back to the studio to finish up the recording and hopefully have the album out this year, this tells me they might have resolved things with the label.

Sweetness is a virtue
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: