Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:46:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1679679 times)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1480 on: May 11, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »

Pink Floyd changed members over the years while their sound changed. It's not the same band that started back in the day, yet it's not considered many different bands. Sound familiar?

/jarmo

Sry but I really don't get this comparison...Pink floyd changed 2 members, gnr almost 200  Grin

The Smashing Pumpkins (one original member)
Hole (one original member)
Wolfmother (one original member)
Days of the New (one original member)
Megadeth (2 original members but Ellefoson was gone a while and it was down to 1)
Motorhead (1 original member)
Alice Cooper (original band, and it was a band, is long gone)
Marilyn Manson (remember the spooky kids?)
Lynard Skynard (do I even need to mention this?)
Alice in Chains (2 original members)
Iron Maiden (you need a fucking map to track their membership changes)
Dream Theatre (Mike Portnoy gone, not an easy drummer to replace)
Fear Factory (multiple lineup changes)
Foo Fighters (several changes though Pat Smear came back a few years ago)
Queens of the Stone Age
Black Sabbath (the Dio years, and now no Bill Ward)
A Perfect Circle
Opeth (lots of previous members)
GWAR (okay I'm not sure GWAR counts since they're a stage act but fuck it they're still GWAR!)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - (2 original members)

Speaking of the chilis, remember when Jack Irons drummed in Pearl Jam? Remember when Pearl Jam's current drummer was in Soundgarden? Oh wait technically I guess he still is... and who's on bass in Jane's Addiction these days since it's not Eric Avery or Duff? I'm seeing them this summer and I don't even fucking know... anyway

Have I made my point yet?
Lineup changes are not exclusive to GN'R.
Multiple lineup changes are not exclusive to GN'R.

Very few bands ever remain the same four or five guys they started out as. It almost never happens. When you get old enough you see most of the bands you love go through membership changes and you realize that while lots of bands start out as a "pals, us against the world, together forever" group of inspired kids, it rarely lasts and that's part of the business. And you'd better believe that music is a business.

As good as these bands are, none of them had the potential of what the original lineup or the UYI lineup of GNR had. I think that's why everyone  wanted the original lineup to stay together. They could have been the Rolling Stones/Aerosmith/Led Zeppelin for Generation X. 

With that being said, CD was a disjointed album. Some people on this message board think it was a great album. I think it was a good album but it was overproduced. I think the live version of "This I Love" is much better than the studio version.  I would like to hear stuff from this version of Guns. I think this version is more closer to the original sound.  That's my two cents.

I would argue that Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are bigger than Aerosmith. At least on the same level.

Alice in Chains could have been at Nirvana's level if not for Layne's addictions/passing and the amount of touring they had to cancel. In a way, if you're thinking of 'what could have been' then that's a very apt comparison.

However, we can spend ages wondering "what if" but to me, there isn't much point. Members changed, and you know - I'm very happy with the lineup we have. I think it's the best lineup since UYI, and possibly on par with it (I'm withholding judgement til we get material from them, but as a live lineup, it's my fave since UYI without question).

I definitely agree with you about liking this lineup. Honestly, I wish this was the lineup that recorded CD. It would have been better in my opinion.... You are right on the "what ifs". I'm just saying why people pine for the original lineup. It was just something special that very few bands have. 
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1481 on: May 15, 2013, 11:31:47 AM »

There's no way GN'R can please everyone with the next album. I think we all know that already.

If they release the material recorded during the Chinese Democracy era, you'll have some "complaining" that it's not the current band.

If they release those songs re-recorded by the current band, you'll have some saying they're just "covering" other peoples' songs.

If they release new music written by the current band, you'll have some saying they want to hear the unreleased Buckethead/Robin Finck/Brain material...

And even if they release everything done during the CD era plus a new album with new materiel, some won't be happy!

/jarmo

I get your point on this Jarmo. But ultimately as an artist you dont or shouldnt make music to please the fans. As a band you make it for yourselves. That is why I personally think they should scrap any old material and start writing new material as a band. Axl talks about the chemistry and comraderie this lineup has. Lets see how it reflects in the studio. You have 3 talented songwriters in your band who you can colaberate with. Lets see what comes out of it. I dont think its fair to the current members (who by all accounts are itching to record) to release old material recorded by people who are no longer in the band.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1482 on: May 15, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »

Of course you shouldn't try to please your audience instead of making art that you believe in yourself, even when you know you'll alienate those fans who'd rather see you stick to the safe old format.

My point was that it doesn't matter what GN'R does, some people won't like it. We all know that.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1483 on: May 15, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »

Of course you shouldn't try to please your audience instead of making art that you believe in yourself, even when you know you'll alienate those fans who'd rather see you stick to the safe old format.

My point was that it doesn't matter what GN'R does, some people won't like it. We all know that.

/jarmo

I agree... but you make it sound like the GNR fan base doesn't have the right to feel one way or the other...

Just because I or somebody else likes Axl's music... doesn't mean you have to agree with every decision he makes in regards to how they go about their business

No matter what... you are going to say well Axl has integrity, its his vision..etc etc

Im sure you would prefer the next album to be made one way or the other... but whatever Axl decides... you will say you support... not everybody is going to be that way

At this point in time I will be happy with whatever they release...but if somebody says well I want the current group to make a whole new album... I certainly see their perspective...and I wouldn't knock them for it

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1484 on: May 15, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »

Oh please.

I don't make it sound like anything. I'm just pointing out that you can't please everyone. Especially GN'R fans.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1485 on: May 15, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »

Right.....

because GNR fans are so different from everybody else....

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1486 on: May 15, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »

Right.....

People are people.

But there's things that make you go "What the...."...  hihi

/jarmo

GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #1487 on: May 15, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »

If the next album is 13 tracks or so.... You could have 7 Chi Demo songs, 6 songs from current lineup.  Kind of like a mixture would be cool.  It probably would be easier.... since I bet most of those songs are close to being 100 percent finished ?

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #1488 on: May 15, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »

pleasing everyone is possible at some level, but you have to make some serious bad shit music for this to happen.

even Justin Bieber failed at this game.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #1489 on: May 16, 2013, 06:46:20 AM »

I don't see the current band having any songs on the next album at this rate. Judging from what both Ron and Richard have said, the next album is almost complete but at the same time this current band haven't wrote anything together yet. So what other conclusion can you draw from this?, Axl obviously plans the next album to be mostly if not all Finck/Bucket/Brain material.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1490 on: May 16, 2013, 07:13:54 AM »

I don't see the current band having any songs on the next album at this rate. Judging from what both Ron and Richard have said, the next album is almost complete but at the same time this current band haven't wrote anything together yet. So what other conclusion can you draw from this?, Axl obviously plans the next album to be mostly if not all Finck/Bucket/Brain material.

Finck/Bucket/Brain material will be pretty damn good, I think these guys deserve to have their music heard too.

peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1491 on: May 16, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »

Finck/Bucket/Brain material will be pretty damn good, I think these guys deserve to have their music heard too.

I dont disagree with you that the material may be good, but i really dont think its fair to the current lineup to do this. Release that material seperate in my book. I equate it to having them work on material leftover from the Slash, Duff and Izzy period. Just doesnt seem right. Plus on the business side of things songwriters get paid for publishing rights on albums. They have good songwriters on the band ( Axl, Stinson, BBF and Ashba), why not see what they can come up with? They seem to have great chemistry on stage but like ive said before that doesnt necesarily carry over to the studio. Only one way to find out though.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #1492 on: May 16, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »

Right.....

No.. the fans are not different.. They are the same people that loves lots of other bands, and have opinions on theyr records, music and members too..

You have all these discussions on other bandforums also, every time a new album comes out someone fall of the wagon or think this or that.. and thats how things work..

GNR was the biggest band in the world in the early 90's lots of changes suddently happend to the original linup... The band was gone for years.. lots of years.. some even didnt know if it excisted anymore.. the CD rumours  began  but they didnt release it for years... of course there will be opinions on stuff like this.. im not suprised that there is at all..

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #1493 on: May 16, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »

I dont disagree with you that the material may be good, but i really dont think its fair to the current lineup to do this. Release that material seperate in my book. I equate it to having them work on material leftover from the Slash, Duff and Izzy period. Just doesnt seem right. Plus on the business side of things songwriters get paid for publishing rights on albums. They have good songwriters on the band ( Axl, Stinson, BBF and Ashba), why not see what they can come up with? They seem to have great chemistry on stage but like ive said before that doesnt necesarily carry over to the studio. Only one way to find out though.
I'm of the view that Axl will release the stuff that's already recorded.  It purely for economic reasons, that being having most of it in the can (from what's been rumoured) it would make sense to get this out and making money. This is purely a guess, but in doing this, backed by monies made from touring and an "old music" drop, there will be funds available for the Album that this line-up deserve to make. 
sandman
Legend

« Reply #1494 on: May 16, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »

Right.....

No.. the fans are not different.. They are the same people that loves lots of other bands, and have opinions on theyr records, music and members too..

You have all these discussions on other bandforums also, every time a new album comes out someone fall of the wagon or think this or that.. and thats how things work..

GNR was the biggest band in the world in the early 90's lots of changes suddently happend to the original linup... The band was gone for years.. lots of years.. some even didnt know if it excisted anymore.. the CD rumours  began  but they didnt release it for years... of course there will be opinions on stuff like this.. im not suprised that there is at all..

i agree. fans are NOT different. you are talking about thousands or millions of people included in the fanbase. you're gonna have tons of opinions that are all over the place.

you have not seen true negative fan reaction until you have been on a metallica board. there is some serious negativity on those boards. and that band has faced it from their fanbase for years. way back in the 80's they were getting it. fans calling them "sell-outs" for making a video in 1988. they also got some crap for the Justice album because it sounded so different.

nothing different in the GnR world. most bands deal with that.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #1495 on: May 16, 2013, 02:53:25 PM »

There's no way GN'R can please everyone with the next album. I think we all know that already.

If they release the material recorded during the Chinese Democracy era, you'll have some "complaining" that it's not the current band.

If they release those songs re-recorded by the current band, you'll have some saying they're just "covering" other peoples' songs.

If they release new music written by the current band, you'll have some saying they want to hear the unreleased Buckethead/Robin Finck/Brain material...

And even if they release everything done during the CD era plus a new album with new materiel, some won't be happy!

/jarmo

I get your point on this Jarmo. But ultimately as an artist you dont or shouldnt make music to please the fans. As a band you make it for yourselves. That is why I personally think they should scrap any old material and start writing new material as a band. Axl talks about the chemistry and comraderie this lineup has. Lets see how it reflects in the studio. You have 3 talented songwriters in your band who you can colaberate with. Lets see what comes out of it. I dont think its fair to the current members (who by all accounts are itching to record) to release old material recorded by people who are no longer in the band.

Hold up a sec... I just found this post, and it reflects this argument that has popped up a fair bit over the past year - certain people aren't in the band now, so scrap the old material.

How is that fair to Dizzy, Richard, Tommy, Chris, or Axl?

Because Finck/Bucket are gone... and Brain is mostly gone but still part of the family or whatever.

And how is it even fair to Finck/Bucket/Brain?

I want an album from the current lineup, but under no circumstances should they scrap the old material. There's room for both.
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #1496 on: May 17, 2013, 04:02:22 AM »

Some current fans are bound to dislike the next album... But I think all fan could agree on something: it would be great to have new material from GnR and take it from there.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1497 on: May 21, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »

/jarmo

Hold up a sec... I just found this post, and it reflects this argument that has popped up a fair bit over the past year - certain people aren't in the band now, so scrap the old material.

How is that fair to Dizzy, Richard, Tommy, Chris, or Axl?

Because Finck/Bucket are gone... and Brain is mostly gone but still part of the family or whatever.

And how is it even fair to Finck/Bucket/Brain?

I want an album from the current lineup, but under no circumstances should they scrap the old material. There's room for both.

A couple of posts earlier I did say that they should release the older material at some point. My point is that it shouldnt be the next album from GNR. Almost everyone on this board would agree that they seem to have something special right now. Why if you have a talented group of songwriters ( Axl, Ashba, BBF, and Stinson) would you want to rely on material written years ago by some ( not all) people not currently in the band. Im sure if i was in the band i wouldnt want to rerecord someone else's parts when i'm capable of writing my own material.
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #1498 on: May 21, 2013, 10:45:54 PM »

Oh please.

I don't make it sound like anything. I'm just pointing out that you can't please everyone. Especially GN'R fans.

/jarmo

Lol....ya think?

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
old_at_heart
Opening Act

« Reply #1499 on: June 01, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »

They should put the finishing touches (overdub guitars from ron, dj, and richard - sparingly like CD) on CD 2 and release it. Then go on tour to promote the record and book studio time wherever they go and start laying down tracks for a new record. This will take time but if they do this then we should get another record about 2-3 after CD 2. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: