Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:43:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 494 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1679641 times)
JeffK
Rocker

« Reply #1460 on: May 09, 2013, 10:38:42 PM »

I personally hope the next cd still has the Bucket/Finck/Brain era sound. We supported these guys for a long time too and they deserve to have their efforts rewarded
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this subject but I disagree 100%. This band right now is amazing and it would be a shame if they released something by a bunch of guys who haven't been in the band for 5-10 years...they all chose to leave. I want the next album to be 100% done by Axl, Dj, Ron, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy and Chris. These guys have amazing chemistry and seem to genuinely love eachother...not to mention the incredible talent they all have. As for the guitarists...Dj, Ron and Richard all want to make a new guns record really bad so let's hear what THEY can do...not Robin and Bucket.

2006: Edmonton
2010: Calgary
2010: Saskatoon
2012: Las Vegas (x2)
2014: Las Vegas (x2)
2016: Las Vegas
2016: Toronto
2017: Regina
2017: Edmonton
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1461 on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:34 PM »

I always thought there was a pretty big progression from AFD to UYI, and the progression to CD was along the same lines.  If you were fine with the changes from AFD to UYI, I don't see why CD should be viewed much differently, strictly speaking as to the sound of the album.  Seemed like quite the natural progression the band was going in to me.  Aside from the baggage that surrounded the album, the lack of old faces and presence of new ones, the lack of the epic music videos to accommodate the songs, etc.  I can understand why those things may be hard for some to overlook, but let's be fair when making an honest assessment. 

I think I'm being more than fair.
I don't buy the "natural progression" from UYI to Chinese for one second.
Sorry, starting a new band isn't a natural progression in my book.

I feel it's essentially a slap in the face to all members involved, and those who weren't.

It's playing make believe to think that putting Tommy in a time machine to replace Duff would produce the same results, that Tommy would write So Fine, or to think that the old band would ever have a hand in a sound such as Shacklers Revenge.
Different players with different influences & playing styles playing different music is not progression.

You don't just walk into a band and replace one of the most popular guitarists of all time like he was never there and call it evolution.
And I'm pretty sure no one was trying to, so I fail to see how it could be mistaken as progression. The band progressed from AFD to UYI, then came to a screeching halt any way you slice it, and then it slowly started over again, essentially from scratch.

Listen to what the ex members have been up to since they left, and whether you enjoy the music or not, tell me that Chinese Democracy was the album they would have put out had they stayed together.
If your answer is no, as it should be, then there you have it.
The styles of music varies, but most of the obvious influences we heard during their time in GN'R are still evident in their music today.
No reason to think that would have, or ever will change.

Simply put, it's physically impossible for a bands sound to progress when the incarnation of said band ceases to exist.
I think you and NYtunz taking my "natural progression" comment too literal.  I simply mean that it SOUNDS like a natural progression as to where the musical direction was headed.  UYI sounded different than AFD, a lot different in many ways and on many songs.  Yet there were some songs that tied in pretty closely.  CD sounded different than UYI, a lot different in many ways and on many songs.  Yet there were some songs that tied in pretty closely.

Would CD have sounded the same or been the same if the members didn't change?  Probably not.  That's not what I was suggesting.  But that's what happened.  So for me, CD isn't this shocking, "what the hell is this, that doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses to me" experience that some seem to portray it as.  To me, it has songs that remind me of UYI.  It has some songs that sound much different than anything previously put out by the band (ITW and Shackler's in particular).  Overall to me, it SOUNDS like a natural progression.  Never did I mean to insinuate that Slash and Duff would've made the same record if they stayed in the band.  But I also don't think the next record would've been a lateral extension of UYI either. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #1462 on: May 10, 2013, 03:44:21 AM »

I personally hope the next cd still has the Bucket/Finck/Brain era sound. We supported these guys for a long time too and they deserve to have their efforts rewarded
Totally agree, and I feel it will be considering recent interviews with Ron and Richard. I think the most we will hear from the current band in relation to the new album, will either be additions or re-recording guitar parts... But the writers and creators will be musicians like Bucket, Finck, Paul and Brain.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1463 on: May 10, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »

There's no way GN'R can please everyone with the next album. I think we all know that already.

If they release the material recorded during the Chinese Democracy era, you'll have some "complaining" that it's not the current band.

If they release those songs re-recorded by the current band, you'll have some saying they're just "covering" other peoples' songs.

If they release new music written by the current band, you'll have some saying they want to hear the unreleased Buckethead/Robin Finck/Brain material...

And even if they release everything done during the CD era plus a new album with new materiel, some won't be happy!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1464 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »

Simply put, it's physically impossible for a bands sound to progress when the incarnation of said band ceases to exist.

Tell that to the Pink Floyd fans.  hihi

So in essence you don't think Guns N' Roses' sound has evolved because certain band members quit and you don't like Chinese Democracy because it doesn't sound like Appetite For Destruction....  Tongue

/jarmo

No, I think you glossed over a lot of what I wrote, which is fine, because I'm not quite sure what Pink Floyd, or the Clash not sounding like the Ramones really has to do with our conversation either.

In a nutshell, I don't feel the songwriting, lyrically or musically on Chinese overall was very strong. Lot of cool ideas, but few of them truly panned out in my opinion.
Catcher in the Rye and Street of Dreams coming the closest, but the production of Street of Dreams in particular hurts the album version for me.
I've heard phenomenal live versions of both, so feel like the material is there.

I'm accustomed to being floored by Axl's intelligent lyrics, but not this time around.

Musically, I love Bucket's work on Street of Dreams, TWAT, and I dig Robin's solo in Better.
Overall, no memorable riffs stick out to me, and few solos stick in my head.

It has nothing to do with Appetite for Destruction.
Only one group of musicians was capable of creating that album, and it wasn't this one, or the Chinese lineup, and I didn't expect they'd try.
I knew Axl was a driving force behind the epics and ballads of UYI, and anticipated Chinese would lean closer to that than AFD.

My expectations were not tied to AFD, Lies, UYI as I consider the later incarnations an entirely different band.
I think it's a shame what happened to the classic lineup, sure, but it is what it is. I'm not losing sleep over it.
I'm not a lineup snob. I bought and enjoy the post Layne Staley AIC album, I've seen Thin Lizzy, New York Dolls, Allman Brothers live, even though half or more of the creators of that music died long ago.
I enjoy music for what it is.

I have legit reasons why I'm not in love with Chinese Democracy, and don't expect everyone to agree. I'm clearly in the minority around here, and that's great.
I'm glad there are plenty who got more out of the album than I did. Doesn't make my opinions any less valid, though.

I'm still a fan of Axl Rose, and believe he has it in him to create more great music, if his heart is still in it.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1465 on: May 10, 2013, 01:38:39 PM »

My expectations were not tied to AFD, Lies, UYI as I consider the later incarnations an entirely different band.
I think it's a shame what happened to the classic lineup, sure, but it is what it is. I'm not losing sleep over it.
I'm not a lineup snob. I bought and enjoy the post Layne Staley AIC album, I've seen Thin Lizzy, New York Dolls, Allman Brothers live, even though half or more of the creators of that music died long ago.
I enjoy music for what it is.

I have legit reasons why I'm not in love with Chinese Democracy, and don't expect everyone to agree. I'm clearly in the minority around here, and that's great.
I'm glad there are plenty who got more out of the album than I did. Doesn't make my opinions any less valid, though.

I'm still a fan of Axl Rose, and believe he has it in him to create more great music, if his heart is still in it.

I've got no problem with that.  No one is saying everyone must love CD.  That's just not logical.  I do believe though that the baggage that surrounded the album weighed heavily in a lot of people forming their opinions on the music.  Maybe you don't fall into this category, but I think it's pretty clear that a lot of others do.  And that's understandable.  If people hate Axl, or blame him for the breakup of the original lineup, and they got sick and tired of the wait for the album.  Sure, that will have a negative effect on many peoples perceptions. 

I just know that to me, GNR was always evolving.  I loved AFD because it was diverse.  The UYI's were even more diverse, and I felt that CD stayed on that course and continued to provide what made me love this band in the first place.  Maybe it was too much, too diverse, too overproduced, etc. for you and others.  That's fine.  Unfortunately, this might be the end of the road for you as far as enjoying new music released by GNR as I'd expect future releases to be closer to CD and beyond.  But who knows, maybe you'll get something you like or be pleasantly surprised. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1466 on: May 10, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this subject but I disagree 100%. This band right now is amazing and it would be a shame if they released something by a bunch of guys who haven't been in the band for 5-10 years...they all chose to leave. I want the next album to be 100% done by Axl, Dj, Ron, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy and Chris. These guys have amazing chemistry and seem to genuinely love eachother...not to mention the incredible talent they all have. As for the guitarists...Dj, Ron and Richard all want to make a new guns record really bad so let's hear what THEY can do...not Robin and Bucket.

What if Robin and Buckethead have some jawdropping, incredible stuff still in the Gn'R vault? Should the old band have left You Could Be Mine off Use Your Illusion since it was from the Appetite' era?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1467 on: May 10, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »

No, I think you glossed over a lot of what I wrote, which is fine, because I'm not quite sure what Pink Floyd, or the Clash not sounding like the Ramones really has to do with our conversation either.

I'll explain it to you then.

Pink Floyd changed members over the years while their sound changed. It's not the same band that started back in the day, yet it's not considered many different bands. Sound familiar?

The Clash was considered punk rock, yet many of their songs didn't sound like The Ramones (yet another punk band). So yes, there's no songs on CD that sound like The Ramones. But neither did many of The Clash's songs! So would you say The Clash weren't punk rock because they had other influences as well? Probably not.

So to the point, saying you can't hear punk influences only means you're looking for something very specific. If Tommy Stinson is involved you will hear punk influences. Just because he doesn't count 1, 2, 3, 4 in the song doesn't mean there's no influences. They might not be as straight forward as listening to some of the pop punk bands that have become popular in the past decades.

In a nutshell, I don't feel the songwriting, lyrically or musically on Chinese overall was very strong. Lot of cool ideas, but few of them truly panned out in my opinion.
Catcher in the Rye and Street of Dreams coming the closest, but the production of Street of Dreams in particular hurts the album version for me.
I've heard phenomenal live versions of both, so feel like the material is there.

That's your opinion.

To me it sounds like GN'R in the 2000s. I'm glad it's not a repeat of what was done in the past.

Everybody knew it wasn't gonna please everybody, for reasons we all know.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1468 on: May 10, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »

I always thought there was a pretty big progression from AFD to UYI, and the progression to CD was along the same lines.  If you were fine with the changes from AFD to UYI, I don't see why CD should be viewed much differently, strictly speaking as to the sound of the album.  Seemed like quite the natural progression the band was going in to me.  Aside from the baggage that surrounded the album, the lack of old faces and presence of new ones, the lack of the epic music videos to accommodate the songs, etc.  I can understand why those things may be hard for some to overlook, but let's be fair when making an honest assessment. 

I think I'm being more than fair.
I don't buy the "natural progression" from UYI to Chinese for one second.
Sorry, starting a new band isn't a natural progression in my book.

I feel it's essentially a slap in the face to all members involved, and those who weren't.

It's playing make believe to think that putting Tommy in a time machine to replace Duff would produce the same results, that Tommy would write So Fine, or to think that the old band would ever have a hand in a sound such as Shacklers Revenge.
Different players with different influences & playing styles playing different music is not progression.

You don't just walk into a band and replace one of the most popular guitarists of all time like he was never there and call it evolution.
And I'm pretty sure no one was trying to, so I fail to see how it could be mistaken as progression. The band progressed from AFD to UYI, then came to a screeching halt any way you slice it, and then it slowly started over again, essentially from scratch.

Listen to what the ex members have been up to since they left, and whether you enjoy the music or not, tell me that Chinese Democracy was the album they would have put out had they stayed together.
If your answer is no, as it should be, then there you have it.
The styles of music varies, but most of the obvious influences we heard during their time in GN'R are still evident in their music today.
No reason to think that would have, or ever will change.

I can understand what you're saying in regards to the rockers sounding different because Slash wasn't there. But, it wasn't a completely different band because Axl was there.  Axl was heavily involved in the writing of the UYI records, including and especially the epic ballads like"November Rain","Estranged", etc. Axl was also heavily involved in the writing of songs like SOD, TWAT, "Prostitute", etc. You could argue that all the songs I mentioned were his babies. Therefore, I don't see why it would be surprising that the epic ballads off CD would sound like evolutions of the UYI epic ballads when the principal architect behind both sets of songs are the same.

Ali
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #1469 on: May 10, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »

And even if they release everything done during the CD era plus a new album with new materiel, some won't be happy!

/jarmo

I don't know about that, I think that would be an absolutely amazing dream scenario!!

But I would be happy with any release from my favourite band. Haters are always gonna hate, I say fuck em!!

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #1470 on: May 10, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »

Pink Floyd changed members over the years while their sound changed. It's not the same band that started back in the day, yet it's not considered many different bands. Sound familiar?

/jarmo

Sry but I really don't get this comparison...Pink floyd changed 2 members, gnr almost 200  Grin
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #1471 on: May 10, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »

/jarmo

Sry but I really don't get this comparison...Pink floyd changed 2 members, gnr almost 200  Grin

The Smashing Pumpkins (one original member)
Hole (one original member)
Wolfmother (one original member)
Days of the New (one original member)
Megadeth (2 original members but Ellefoson was gone a while and it was down to 1)
Motorhead (1 original member)
Alice Cooper (original band, and it was a band, is long gone)
Marilyn Manson (remember the spooky kids?)
Lynard Skynard (do I even need to mention this?)
Alice in Chains (2 original members)
Iron Maiden (you need a fucking map to track their membership changes)
Dream Theatre (Mike Portnoy gone, not an easy drummer to replace)
Fear Factory (multiple lineup changes)
Foo Fighters (several changes though Pat Smear came back a few years ago)
Queens of the Stone Age
Black Sabbath (the Dio years, and now no Bill Ward)
A Perfect Circle
Opeth (lots of previous members)
GWAR (okay I'm not sure GWAR counts since they're a stage act but fuck it they're still GWAR!)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - (2 original members)

Speaking of the chilis, remember when Jack Irons drummed in Pearl Jam? Remember when Pearl Jam's current drummer was in Soundgarden? Oh wait technically I guess he still is... and who's on bass in Jane's Addiction these days since it's not Eric Avery or Duff? I'm seeing them this summer and I don't even fucking know... anyway

Have I made my point yet?
Lineup changes are not exclusive to GN'R.
Multiple lineup changes are not exclusive to GN'R.

Very few bands ever remain the same four or five guys they started out as. It almost never happens. When you get old enough you see most of the bands you love go through membership changes and you realize that while lots of bands start out as a "pals, us against the world, together forever" group of inspired kids, it rarely lasts and that's part of the business. And you'd better believe that music is a business.
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #1472 on: May 10, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »

I think if they do , do an album in 2014 ...my stance is this. Let it be an album that has songs sprinkled through all versions of the band. You can do some songs from the Chinese Era and let Thal and Ashba work some new things into them. Then you can do new songs with Ashba , Thal and the rest on the album. This way every era of the band gets its due.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1473 on: May 10, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »

/jarmo

Megadeth (2 original members but Ellefoson was gone a while and it was down to 1)
Queens of the Stone Age
A Perfect Circle
GWAR (okay I'm not sure GWAR counts since they're a stage act but fuck it they're still GWAR!)

Speaking of the chilis, remember when Jack Irons drummed in Pearl Jam? Remember when Pearl Jam's current drummer was in Soundgarden? Oh wait technically I guess he still is... and who's on bass in Jane's Addiction these days since it's not Eric Avery or Duff? I'm seeing them this summer and I don't even fucking know... anyway

Very few bands ever remain the same four or five guys they started out as. It almost never happens. When you get old enough you see most of the bands you love go through membership changes and you realize that while lots of bands start out as a "pals, us against the world, together forever" group of inspired kids, it rarely lasts and that's part of the business. And you'd better believe that music is a business.

As good as these bands are, none of them had the potential of what the original lineup or the UYI lineup of GNR had. I think that's why everyone  wanted the original lineup to stay together. They could have been the Rolling Stones/Aerosmith/Led Zeppelin for Generation X. 

With that being said, CD was a disjointed album. Some people on this message board think it was a great album. I think it was a good album but it was overproduced. I think the live version of "This I Love" is much better than the studio version.  I would like to hear stuff from this version of Guns. I think this version is more closer to the original sound.  That's my two cents.
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #1474 on: May 10, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »

There's no way GN'R can please everyone with the next album. I think we all know that already.

If they release the material recorded during the Chinese Democracy era, you'll have some "complaining" that it's not the current band.

If they release those songs re-recorded by the current band, you'll have some saying they're just "covering" other peoples' songs.

If they release new music written by the current band, you'll have some saying they want to hear the unreleased Buckethead/Robin Finck/Brain material...

/jarmo

Unless they make a great album everyone loves!  I think Ashba + BBF will mesh very well on an album. 
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #1475 on: May 11, 2013, 03:27:03 AM »

/jarmo

Queens of the Stone Age
A Perfect Circle

You made my day. Finally someone who understands what a bunch of us are trying to explain to others for a f'n long time!!!
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #1476 on: May 11, 2013, 07:18:01 AM »

/jarmo

Queens of the Stone Age
A Perfect Circle

You made my day. Finally someone who understands what a bunch of us are trying to explain to others for a f'n long time!!!

Yeah! Thanks for posting this list. And there are some big acts on here, too those of you that think they aren't! Poeple need to get their heads out of their ass's and face that this is GNR from now on. It's been almost 20 years people!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #1477 on: May 11, 2013, 07:49:02 AM »

Thank you, you have just showed me a new unknown world  Kiss I'm not goin' to sleep tonight, really.  hihi

With that being said, CD was a disjointed album. Some people on this message board think it was a great album. I think it was a good album but it was overproduced. I think the live version of "This I Love" is much better than the studio version.  I would like to hear stuff from this version of Guns. I think this version is more closer to the original sound.  That's my two cents.

Totally agree.

People don't understand that you have to work togheter on a project if you wanna catch the right sound, the right mood etc. It's about people, but in terms of cooperation. It's not about old band vs new band tout court. Up to now it seems that they don't have "new" songs written or worked on by all this bunch of guys. So if they're going to put something out soon, it will be the old stuff which wasn't put on CD plus some bumble and ashba's  parts here and there. If you like this kind of working process ok, but you're going to have a CD vol.2 in which  the songs sounds like demos...

Maybe you can even like this, but i really don't.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:03:30 AM by ITARocker » Logged
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1478 on: May 11, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »

The only thing I care about the new album is that it has great songs and great lyrics, but most of all:  it must fucking rock!! Fuck all the rest.

peace

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #1479 on: May 11, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »

/jarmo

Queens of the Stone Age
A Perfect Circle

As good as these bands are, none of them had the potential of what the original lineup or the UYI lineup of GNR had. I think that's why everyone  wanted the original lineup to stay together. They could have been the Rolling Stones/Aerosmith/Led Zeppelin for Generation X. 

I would argue that Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are bigger than Aerosmith. At least on the same level.

Alice in Chains could have been at Nirvana's level if not for Layne's addictions/passing and the amount of touring they had to cancel. In a way, if you're thinking of 'what could have been' then that's a very apt comparison.

However, we can spend ages wondering "what if" but to me, there isn't much point. Members changed, and you know - I'm very happy with the lineup we have. I think it's the best lineup since UYI, and possibly on par with it (I'm withholding judgement til we get material from them, but as a live lineup, it's my fave since UYI without question).
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 494 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: