Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AFD 25th Anniversary topic and possible re-release?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AFD 25th Anniversary topic and possible re-release?  (Read 29301 times)
Jester
Headliner

« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2012, 05:07:37 AM »

I wish they would release a super deluxe of Chinese Democracy. The way it was meant to sound (on vinyl) and all the proper approved artwork with bonus stuff.

/jarmo

Coming into a thread titled "AFD 25th Anniversary topic and possible re-release?",  then not even referencing the old album, but instead promoting your own agenda and attempting to divert the discussion into one about Chi Dem, and/or vinyl quality. Nothing to do with anything mentioned in the OP.   Is this not the sort of behavior you condemn when applied vice versa?, what makes this so special, your off topic rambling valid here?, apart from your status as judge and jury, when you tolerate nil of it in reverse.  And I wondered why people said the things they do about you Jarmo!  Great example of a double standard at work,  do as I say, not as I do! 

On topic, a re-release with promo packaging etc would be very cool, though they could never match the extravagance of U2's output, and although no re-recording could ever be a good thing,  remastering, and releasing it with the intended artwork would at least be a good first step, maybe then some of the fans that have jumped on board for and since ChiDem, would gain a bit more understanding of where this band came from to begin with...

The AFD 25th anniversary could be celebrated with re-releasing Chinese Democracy properly. Smiley
Because it never was!

And after that, if there's interest, go back and look at the older catalog.

Happy now?

/jarmo

Little better, at least you mentioned AFD this time around!, but still touting a shocking plan of attack!.  Comparing album sales and subsequent tour attendances, I would surmise they'd be better off re-releasing AFD first, remastered, redesigned, original art, anything but re-recorded! Something to try and attract the masses that were once fans, then using the interest generated by that to try and steer some folk towards the newer music that is Chinese Democracy, and anything this current line-up eventually releases?..  Not many people cared about Chi Dem by the time it was eventually released, do you seriously think many would buy it again, just to hear it without the "inner groove distortion" or do you assume it would attract new listeners, that ignored it the first time around? 

If only more people realized and accepted this band for what it is, just music.  No matter when, who, how, what was released, it was by Guns n' Roses. Certain people need to accept they'd have got nowhere without the AFD lineup doing what they did when they did, and the same goes for the UYI's.  If credit needs to be given to Tracii, Ole, Slash, Paul, Tracy and Roberta,  etc,  then so be it, if any of these people stand to make more royalties from a re-release, then so be it, they deserve it for what they did at the time.  Hopefully, this would also have the effect of increasing interest in the current band, and any future output.  Sure, it's nice to have new fans getting on  board still, but how big is the audience they had but lost through the nineties in comparison?...

To suggest re-releasing a album that officially dropped onto shelves just under 4 years ago, as a way of celebrating the much lauded, classic, must have album that is Appetite For Destruction, especially when all they have in common is the same vocalist and business name, is just ludicrous. and for this suggestion to be coming from someone in such a position, Hmmm...Well.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2012, 06:56:41 AM »

some people still don't understand that Axl has no interest, to say it politically correctly, of allowing,
promoting, encouraging material with Slash on it. no re-release of older albums, no live, DVDs
books or anything  concerning the classic line-up.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »

yep, although it is a bit sad, I don't see Axl doing anything at this point that would generate income for Slash. Battle lines have been clearly drawn. Sorry, Jester, but it ain't gonna happen.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Silex
Headliner

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »

Guns N' Roses (facebook)
Always hungry for somethin' that released 25 years ago.

Happy b-day Appetite! 
smoking beer
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2012, 01:18:19 AM »

I wish they would release a super deluxe of Chinese Democracy. The way it was meant to sound (on vinyl) and all the proper approved artwork with bonus stuff.

Yes, for sure. Chinese desperately needs a proper vinyl pressing as well as a CD release with an approved booklet. I'd love bonus stuff as well, but an LP version w/o the inner groove distortion and a CD version with either the hand booklet or grenade booklet would be great.
Leddy
Rocker

Asphinctersayswhat?

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »

I'd love by way of celebrating, for Guns to release an anthology.  Super deluxe versions of all studio albums, Blu-Ray's of select shows through the years and any other goodies relevant to the albums creations etc.  ok
Mathieu
Opening Act

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15:57 AM »

I would be just happy with an AFD 180gram vinyl release with the original censored artwork.

Anyone tried the new Use Your Illusions vinyl releases? are they sounding significantly better than the normal version.
northernlad
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »

I would like whoever makes these decisions to leave well alone, appetite has been in my life for 25 years, first bought on cassette, then 12" vinyl original artwork from a record dealer, then upgraded again when cd's were common.
Any reissue seems pointless IMO the band has moved on, music has changed and although the songs still sound as great now as they ever have, it's time to stop delving in the past and start focusing on new material.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »

I would be just happy with an AFD 180gram vinyl release with the original censored artwork.

i pretty sure that there is a vinyl reissue with the original artwork. not sure about the weight.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2012, 12:11:07 PM »

Anyone tried the new Use Your Illusions vinyl releases? are they sounding significantly better than the normal version.

Yes, I bought both of them last week at my local record shop. They sound great. I assume they are from the same source as the 2008 Euro "Back to Black" releases? When Chinese was released, Appetite and both Illusions got vinyl reissues as part of the Back to Black campaign, but here in the US, only Appetite got released. So these 2012 Illusion records might just be to make up for us not getting the 2008 pressing.
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »

I think at the 30 year mark, the artist or artists gets master tape ownership. Wait 5 more years, maybe something will happen.

AxlHBK
Headliner

Axl Loyalist

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2012, 06:27:24 PM »

some people still don't understand that Axl has no interest, to say it politically correctly, of allowing,
promoting, encouraging material with Slash on it. no re-release of older albums, no live, DVDs
books or anything  concerning the classic line-up.

Axl supposedly has no interest in promoting the old band, and yet, has been touring for the last ten years with concerts whose setlists are composed primarily of songs written by the older bands. In contrast, his effort to promote the new band has only resulted in the release of 72 minutes of material composed by the newer bands.

For someone who speaks so strongly of wanting to move on from the past, and focus on developing and promoting the new GNR, the man surely keeps hitting us hard over the head with old material and puts little effort into promoting the new band as anything other than a cover band (is 72 minutes in ten years the best effort in promoting the new band as a viable new chapter in GNR history rather than a cover band of GNR history?)

I write this as a huge fan of the new band, as I love Chinese Democracy and believe that the songwriters involved in GNR over the past 10 years are brilliant and have the potential to produce truly magnificent work. I'm just dissapointed that the new result of 10 years of work to get the new GNR off the ground is one album and 10 years worth of tours that haven't moved past the heavy use of AFD and UYI songs.  It just doesn't seem to be a great strategy of getting people to realize that GNR has a history past 1992....

-Chinesedemocracy.com Refugee
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »

Axl contributed more to songwriting during the classic era than any other member. Slash himself determined that Axl had written 41% of Appetite.

So why should Axl have to stop playing songs from the band's past when he was the main songwriter during every era of the band?
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:48 AM »

to further avoid anything Slash related  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
AxlHBK
Headliner

Axl Loyalist

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:54 AM »

Axl contributed more to songwriting during the classic era than any other member. Slash himself determined that Axl had written 41% of Appetite.

So why should Axl have to stop playing songs from the band's past when he was the main songwriter during every era of the band?

Not saying he should stop playing them.... Just saying it doesn't seem to me to be the best way of going about moving on from the past and promoting the new band(s). And my point wasn't as much about playing the old songs over the last ten years as much as it was about them not releasing more than 72 minutes of new music in the past decade. How can the public get over the old band when the new band hasn't done much other than playing the old music? 80% of all recorded GNR music is from the old band... Of course the public focuses on them when thinking of GNR... The only way to get around that, as it seems to me, would be to put out much more new music to give te public something other to consider when discussing GNR....

bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »

Perhaps Axl's desire to move on from who he used to play with is separate from what he used to play with them.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »

Guns N' Roses (facebook)
Always hungry for somethin' that released 25 years ago.

Happy b-day Appetite! 
smoking beer

Congratulations GN'R

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2012, 11:04:38 AM »

Congrats GN'R!

Just to clarify to those who are easily confused.  Tongue

Leaving the past behind and focusing on the present and future, doesn't mean you need to deny the people who go see your shows (the fans) something that they obviously have come to love and enjoy hearing. Why wouldn't GN'R play GN'R songs? It's not promoting anything other than GN'R.

Only people with some kind of agendas think the band shouldn't play those songs because "they promote the old band".

In reality, they only promote the band playing the fuck out of those songs every time they play them. That's all.  Grin

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sandman83
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2012, 12:45:55 PM »

Seen this on GN'R's facebook yesterday and hadn't seen it on here yet.

"The Most Important Album of the Last 25 Years Isn't Nevermind, It's Guns N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction" Thanks LA Weekly read it all here:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/07/guns_n_roses_appetite_for_destruction_25th_anniversary.php
AxlHBK
Headliner

Axl Loyalist

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »

Congrats GN'R!

Just to clarify to those who are easily confused.  Tongue

Leaving the past behind and focusing on the present and future, doesn't mean you need to deny the people who go see your shows (the fans) something that they obviously have come to love and enjoy hearing. Why wouldn't GN'R play GN'R songs? It's not promoting anything other than GN'R.

Only people with some kind of agendas think the band shouldn't play those songs because "they promote the old band".

In reality, they only promote the band playing the fuck out of those songs every time they play them. That's all.  Grin

/jarmo

Wow... You're quite a condescending individual, aren't you?

I wasn't saying that they shouldn't play the old songs and I certainly have no agenda. I love going to their shows and seeing the old songs played. All I'm saying is that whenever non diehards go and see GNR and hear old songs, it promotes to some degree the old band. It doesn't push for these fans to care about the future of GNR, but it rather just makes them nostalgic for what has been. Whether that's good or bad, i don't know. It certainly has proven to be financially lucrative. But is it In line with the goal of pushing forward when most of your behavior is repeating the past?

And let's not get confused either. If it was all about not denying fans what they want to see, we would be seeing the old GNR touring the world right now. But, axl has more artistic integrity than making decisions solely based on popular demand.

But, my main point wasnt so much criticizing playing old songs as much as it about arguing that 72 minutes of music in 10 years is not the strongest effort in promoting GNR as a currently relevant band, musically rather than nostagalically. All I'm saying is that the best way to promote the new band is to release and perform more music written by the new band rather than the legacy of he new band being an overqualified cover band. That's all

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: