Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 03:18:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dj Ashba: I've Written 12 Songs For Axl That He Really Likes
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dj Ashba: I've Written 12 Songs For Axl That He Really Likes  (Read 10238 times)
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »

It's nice to read, if they started recording right now, I'm guessing it takes about a year to put an album out-I think we're 2-3 years away from hearing an actual album-in concert might be another thing.

libertad
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »

It's nice to read, if they started recording right now, I'm guessing it takes about a year to put an album out-I think we're 2-3 years away from hearing an actual album-in concert might be another thing.

Precisely, which is why it would be awesome if in 2012 Axl put out the other tracks from the CD sessions while we're waiting for them to complete this album.
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »

The key point for me is "reasonable amount of time", and is also why we shouldn't get excited at this point.

I hate to be a pessimist but we could be here in 12 months time no further along in terms of new music.

Reasonable time could mean 2012 or 2-3 years away.

I do hope though, with all my heart that I'm wrong and we get a new album from the greatest band ever soon  drool
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:54:38 PM by Stardust » Logged

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »

What's frustrating is that Axl has all these other tracks that are more or less finished that he could put out whenever he wants, barring any hurdles the label puts in front of him. 

Fans have been talking about songs like The General, Atlas Shrugged, Leave Me Alone, Zodiac, etc. for years.  It'd be a shame to delay their release any further.
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 05:08:42 PM »

What's frustrating is that Axl has all these other tracks that are more or less finished that he could put out whenever he wants, barring any hurdles the label puts in front of him. 

Fans have been talking about songs like The General, Atlas Shrugged, Leave Me Alone, Zodiac, etc. for years.  It'd be a shame to delay their release any further.

But not on his terms I suspect, and that's the real issue here....

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »

Right, I just hope he can find a way to get them out on his terms this year, instead of waiting until after they record however-many completely new songs which could take God knows how long.   I've said before that releasing an album of both old and new songs might affect the flow of the album, which is why I think they should consist of two completely different releases.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 06:33:20 PM »

It's not always as easy as "finish the album and put it out".

As you pointed out, there's the issue of how to put it out. That's when the record company usually gets involved and complicates things....

In this situation no matter what GN'R does, they can't win.

Dj, and others, has said there are songs left from the Chinese Democracy era. Do you put those out as soon as possible and have people say "this isn't the same band that's touring" and/or "these songs are old, we want new material!"?

You and I both know that'll happen if GN'R goes this route.

On the other hand, if they go the other route and record a full album of newly written material, the same people will go "what happened to all the great stuff they recorded during the CD era?".

Business as usual, you can't win with certain people.
So, fuck them!  ok

I know that no matter what they chose to release as the next GN'R album, it won't be something released just for the sake of putting something out. As many (most?) bands do. Axl doesn't play that game.

Many bands seem to put out albums so they have an excuse to tour. And then the crowds at the shows just wanna hear the classics and the hits anyway. So you put out sub par material, with your name on it, only to play the old familiar classics everybody knows from their morning commutes to work. What's the point?

GN'R just toured in the USA and the latest album isn't even available in stores. It's the opposite of what everybody else does....  It's the most "punk rock" thing you'll see.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »

Jarmo you're right that no matter what album they put out next, there will be people bitching on both sides of the fence.  But that's standard for a lot of big name rock bands.  Aerosmith and Metallica fans come to mind in terms of moaning whenever a new release comes their way.

I have no doubt that when the next album comes, it will be something that has Axl's seal of approval, meaning it won't be something put out just to produce an album and tour.

I was just trying to say that it would be odd if the other unreleased tracks from the CD sessions, which as far as we know everyone in the current lineup but DJ has recorded on, were buried in favor of completely new recordings. 

I would imagine we'll still hear them in some way, shape, or form especially after all the work that was put into them.  I'm also definitely looking forward to some DJ/Axl compositions.  I'm thinking Ballad Of Death meets There Was A Time.  Just badass.  ok
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:04:40 PM by sofine11 » Logged
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »

Right, I just hope he can find a way to get them out on his terms this year, instead of waiting until after they record however-many completely new songs which could take God knows how long.   I've said before that releasing an album of both old and new songs might affect the flow of the album, which is why I think they should consist of two completely different releases.
He could pull a Trent Reznor and release an album online for free

libertad
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »

Doubtful, although some kind of digital release isn't outside the realm of possibilities, especially nowadays. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »

And you know this is possible because....?

What if there's a contract with a record company that's still valid? How do you think they would feel?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »

Doubtful, although some kind of digital release isn't outside the realm of possibilities, especially nowadays. 
It can be done-Radiohead did it to some extent, and Billy Corgan simply put out a few songs at a time

libertad
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »

It can be done-Radiohead did it to some extent, and Billy Corgan simply put out a few songs at a time

Keep in mind, GNR began the year by asking fans what their favorite means of obtaining music online was.  Something tells me they weren't asking because they were curious about technology.  Wink
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »

What if there's a contract with a record company that's still valid? How do you think they would feel?

/jarmo

I just read an interview with Tommy Stinson in which he said the label provided no support for Chinese Democracy-contracts can be broken-I find it hard to believe Axl is going to want to go through that again-I would look at other avenues to release music-this label, or whomever, dropped the ball on one of the most anticipated albums of all time.

libertad
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:05 PM »

We don't know what GNR's contracted obligations are to Geffen & Universal, especially if they are using music/tracks they funded on future releases.  In the TMS interview, Axl said that he needed to see where the band stands with the label before looking to another release.  That doesn't sound like he's looking to break away, only to figure things out.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »

We don't know what GNR's contracted obligations are to Geffen & Universal, especially if they are using music/tracks they funded on future releases.  In the TMS interview, Axl said that he needed to see where the band stands with the label before looking to another release.  That doesn't sound like he's looking to break away, only to figure things out.

Exactly my point-I'm responding to a thread in which the guitarist of the band has stated that he has submitted 12 songs to the lead singer-I'm not sure asking how or when it will come out is unreasonable.

libertad
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 07:55:52 PM »

It's not unreasonable to ask/wonder how/when, what's kinda silly is to assume things like "GN'R should release it for free like artist X..." when you got no idea about if they are obliged to release the material through the record company.

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »

/jarmo

I just read an interview with Tommy Stinson in which he said the label provided no support for Chinese Democracy-contracts can be broken-I find it hard to believe Axl is going to want to go through that again-I would look at other avenues to release music-this label, or whomever, dropped the ball on one of the most anticipated albums of all time.

Easier said than done as far as "contracts can be broken".  Much easier said than done especially without knowing the terms of the contract.

Ali
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »

/jarmo

Easier said than done as far as "contracts can be broken".  Much easier said than done especially without knowing the terms of the contract.

Ali
This has got to be the longest record contract known to man, then-I wish them the best, they're gonna need it.

libertad
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 02:00:50 AM »

I was listening to a radio 1 article yesterday about the state of 'guitar rock' in the UK, and how it has been destroyed by dub step, pop, and adele. Record companies just aren't putting money into rock bands at the moment. But they made a good point - There's few really great albums out these days to inspire people (and sales).

For Gnr this record could be even more significant than Chinese democracy. They've earned some goodwill with their latest tour and proved it's not just the afd songs people enjoy live. In some ways I feel the best could be yet to come with this band - the pressure is off a little, there's none of the leaks issue to deal with it and a real chance to put out something they're all proud of.

Part of me wants to hear some of the darker songs from the cd era Axl referred to, yet another part of me would be really happy with a straight ahead good ol fashioned hard rock album. Whatever they do I'm sure it will be great!

Here today...ready to rock
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: