Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 12, 2024, 10:29:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228432 Posts in 43273 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 203016 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #560 on: July 12, 2012, 11:11:49 PM »

Just finished watching "The Life and Death Of Daryl Kile" on MLB Network, extremely well done.

Repeats tomorrow at noon CST, DVR it - it's worth a look.

I'll have to check that out.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #561 on: July 12, 2012, 11:21:41 PM »

Just finished watching "The Life and Death Of Daryl Kile" on MLB Network, extremely well done.

You'll enjoy it Tim, Girardi is featured throughout.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #562 on: July 13, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »

Shit i totally forgot to set my dvr for it. Do you know if they'll show it again?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #563 on: July 13, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »

My god, the fans in KC weren't just booing Cano cause he didn't pick Butler for the derby they were bothering his mother too. Way to stay classy. There was no reason to do that shit. Its just a stupid competition.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #564 on: July 13, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »

Shit i totally forgot to set my dvr for it. Do you know if they'll show it again?

I'm not totally sure, I suspect it'll be available on MLB.com as well at some point soon though.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #565 on: July 13, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »

My god, the fans in KC weren't just booing Cano cause he didn't pick Butler for the derby they were bothering his mother too. Way to stay classy. There was no reason to do that shit. Its just a stupid competition.

Ya, it went over the line but it's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Didn't Yankee fans cross the line with Cliff Lee's wife a couple years back?  I seem to remember beer pouring, spitting and verbal assaults flung her way.  Lee brushed it off pretty well if I recall.

As said above, very nature of the beast - the line between "fan" and "fanatic" gets more skewed with each passing event it seems.

College football is the worst I've ever been personal witness to. I've been to a dozen or so OU/Texas games and it's absolutely ridiculous.  I've witnessed things at those games that make the Cano and Lee incidents look like romper room.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #566 on: July 13, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »

Ya, it went over the line but it's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Didn't Yankee fans cross the line with Cliff Lee's wife a couple years back?  I seem to remember beer pouring, spitting and verbal assaults flung her way.  Lee brushed it off pretty well if I recall.

As said above, very nature of the beast - the line between "fan" and "fanatic" gets more skewed with each passing event it seems.

College football is the worst I've ever been personal witness to. I've been to a dozen or so OU/Texas games and it's absolutely ridiculous.  I've witnessed things at those games that make the Cano and Lee incidents look like romper room.

Yeah, in those cases its definitely going too far, Booing the player is one thing but leave their family members alone. I think the KC fans overreacted, its just a competition. They even went as far as to boo him when he made outs during the game. That to me was taking it a bit too far too. That isn't a time to let personal feelings get in the way. Everyone there deserved to be cheered and celebrated for the great season they are having. It would be different if it were a yankee/royals series but at an all star game everyone deserves to be celebrated.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #567 on: July 13, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »

I'm not totally sure, I suspect it'll be available on MLB.com as well at some point soon though.

I hope so, if not i guess my only hope is to find it on some torrent site or something.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #568 on: July 13, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »

Derek Jeter is no at 3,200 hits. Its not inconceivable that he could make it to tenth this season and pass Willie Mays.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #569 on: July 15, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »

Tim/pilf - what's the word on CC's return?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #570 on: July 15, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »

I hear he's in line to come back Tuesday.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #571 on: July 15, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »

Cool, missing him big time in my fantasy league.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #572 on: July 15, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »

Cool, missing him big time in my fantasy league.
I figured you were inquiring about the great Carl Crawford.  He's due back tomorrow, so it's time to celebrate.  I give him 5 games or so till he pulls a hamstring or tears some tendons in his shoulder.  Word is, he shouldn't be coming back because he's nowhere near ready but the organization is almost forcing him to play.  He sounds as if he has no confidence whatsoever and his shoulder could give way at any time.  He's eventually going to need Tommy John surgery to repair the issue, which will ultimately sideline him for another year.  Not sure things could have gone any worse for Carl these last 2 years.  And even though he's making boat loads of money and doing absolutely nothing to live up to that contract, I feel bad for the guy.  He genuinely seems like a nice guy, but he couldn't handle the pressure last season and now all this.  Could go down as one of the worst contracts in MLB history.  Look out Mike Hampton.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #573 on: July 15, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »

Ah, the great Carl Crawford.

Crawford, Lackey et al.  Theo seems to be working the same magic in Chi town (cough, cough)

How long before they admit the Valentine hire was a massive miss?

Kinda makes ya feel sorry for Cherington, talk about a no win situation.

Sox employee and saber guru Bill James may have very well sealed his fate with his insane comments to ESPN"s Doug Gottleib on the Sandusky/Paterno/Penn St cover up this weekend as well, anyone else catch that?

If not, listen below - it's a worth all 15 minutes.

I thought Gottlieb was going to blow a gasket.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8164789

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #574 on: July 16, 2012, 06:28:02 AM »

Yup...due to pitch on Tuesday.

Everything says he's 100% (and, apparently, that adductor strain had been bothering him for weeks before he told anyone about it).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #575 on: July 16, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »

What do you guys think about the Nationals planning on shutting down Strasburg in early September?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #576 on: July 16, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »

What do you guys think about the Nationals planning on shutting down Strasburg in early September?

I think its stupid. Pitchers are babied way too much these days. Bad mechanics get them injured not the number of innings they pitched or the the number of pitches.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #577 on: July 16, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »

Yup...due to pitch on Tuesday.

Everything says he's 100% (and, apparently, that adductor strain had been bothering him for weeks before he told anyone about it).

Sure didn't seem to be affecting him much then, since he was still pitching well.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #578 on: July 16, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »

How long before they admit the Valentine hire was a massive miss?

Kinda makes ya feel sorry for Cherington, talk about a no win situation.

Depends how you view it.  On the field, I think Bobby has done a very nice job this season.  He's taken a team that tanked it in September to the tune of 7-21 or whatever they were.  Pretty much the same group of players MINUS Papelbon to free agency, and Crawford and Ellsbury to the DL and they've hovered around .500.  He's worked wonders with the bullpen, at least against every team that isn't the New York Yankees.  All that being considered, I don't see how any other manager could've done any better.

Now the off the field stuff.  Well, he's come completely as advertised.  You knew what you were getting there.  Unfortunately with him, his reputation preceded him and I think a lot of the players wanted to hate him from the get go and never gave him a fair chance.  And seemingly that struggle is still going on.  So if you want to blame that on Bobby V. okay, but I place a lot of the blame on the players for being selfish, IF all that is being reported is accurate that is.  Also, a much bigger reason for the Red Sox struggles is the under performance of Lester, Beckett, and Adrian Gonzalez.  Even with all the injuries, if those guys come close to what they're capable of, the Sox are in a battle for first place and not the 2nd wild card.  Carl Crawford's contract is bad enough.  But if Adrian Gonzalez is a .280 hitter with 15 HR's a year, which is basically what he's been the last 162 games, that's not what you're looking for from your 20+million dollar a year slugging first baseman.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:07:20 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #579 on: July 16, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »

Sox are just not a very good team period. Partially due to injury partially to under performance. Bobby V is doing the best he can with what he has. You can't fault him for the on the field performance of the team.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: